Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Ok so I have my bike now, what else do I need? (https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/1110598-ok-so-i-have-my-bike-now-what-else-do-i-need.html)

bigbiker1 06-07-17 06:48 PM

Ok so I have my bike now, what else do I need?
 
I am completely broke right now, but I know I will need some accessories soon. For now I am just riding on a black top trail that is slightly over a mile long, so pretty much no matter what happens I can get my bike back to my jeep.

The biggest issues I have noticed so far are my feet/peddles. I have a top of the line pair of new balance running shoes, and I am starting to think they are not the greatest bike shoes. I have wide feet and I find myself constantly having to adjust my feet to keep them from rubbing on the crank. This has almost resulted in a crash twice already. Also I am using the middle of my feet to peddle with simply so they are centered on the pedals, I think its best to pedal with the balls of your feet IIRC. I have used toe clips in the past, but that was when I was not this big. At this weight I am too scared of falls to use to clips, I need my feet free in case I start to fall. Is there an economical solution or will I need to shell out some $$ for cycling shoes or different pedals?

Once I drop a few pounds and have better stamina, I want to start riding our local rail to trail. This will be much different in I could be 10+ miles from a town and even further from my jeep at any given time. My father only has a road bike so if I break down I would have to be able to fix the problem or walk/carry my bike a long ways alone. I know extra inner tubes, patch kits, air pump are essential. What else do I need to bring and how do most people carry what they need?

I think I will also need bike shorts, perhaps a jersey and some gloves. Those probably won't be cheap at my size lol.

Anything else I am forgetting?

drewguy 06-07-17 07:19 PM

You've got a helmet?

I would look into some bike shoes first, even if they're cheap. Running shoes have wide soles by design to spread weight as much as possible and provide cushioning - that's your problem. Even a pair of regular sneakers would be better. You can worry about toe clips or cleats later.

Try not to worry too much about flats - they may happen but a small pump and a patch kit (or spare tube) should cover you. Do you have a friend or a spouse who could pick you up in an emergency?

velojym 06-07-17 07:34 PM

Lots of stuff can come in handy, and some more than others. Those of us who are follicly challenged can use a do-rag under our helmets in order to avoid looking like the aliens in They Live after the Sun has had its way through the vents.
You want a tube, and a patch kit in case you get more than one flat. Also, a frame pump with a foot peg and flexible hose has been far more satisfying than what I used to break stems with. That's just a technique thing, but it's awful nice to have a portable little floor pump wherever I ride.

I'm assuming you've already considered the standard stuff, though.

Something I hadn't considered until I was several club rides in... a spare tire in the car, if you're hauling your ride to a starting point.

A good quality water bottle or hydration pack shouldn't make your water taste funny, so it's false economy to buy cheap here.

While I'm invested in SPD on my better bikes, for the moment I'm rocking the flat pedals. The flared bottoms of running shoes are a problem, so you'll want something that doesn't have this feature. The idea of just going ahead with bicycle shoes is a good one. You don't have to pull out the insert until you're ready to screw in the cleats, so no rush on that part.

I used to think a bike computer was essential, but phone apps have gotten so good at this, I'd just go with a phone mount for the handlebars for a bit. You might still want a cyclocomputer, but this will do just fine until you feel like making that investment.

Socks. You'll want something that won't bunch up during a ride, wicks well... etc.

TrojanHorse 06-08-17 12:14 AM

Use flat pedals, no harm there. Stiff soled cycling shoes will be better than running shoes. Ideally, the ball of your foot will be centered-ish over the pedal axle and that will also affect the saddle height you need.

Carry on the bike (usually a little pouch under the saddle) at least 1 spare tube, maybe 2.
a patch kit
A tire lever
A multi-tool (optional but handy)
a boot in case the tire carcass is cut (you can buy cheap park tool versions or you can salvage old inner tubes OR you can fold up a dollar bill and just use that in a pinch.)
Something to inflate your tires. CO2 isn't cheap, but it's easy. A small frame pump will also do the trick.

Bike shorts and some sort of wicking shirt (bike jersey or similar) will make your rides more comfortable.
Bike helmets don't really do much but if you should happen to be in a single rider, tip-over style accident they can do your noggin a bunch of good.

Enjoy!

Garilia 06-08-17 05:22 AM

On my trail bike, I wear sneakers on hybrid mtb pedals (one side is flat, one side is for spd shoes, if I ever want that option).They fit the shoes I wear when riding my road bike. I wear a helmet, fingerless gloves, and usually sunglasses. I use a small hydration backpack (a Camelbak Blowfish) to carry my keys, wallet, cellphone, small pump, a cable bike lock, extra headbands, a tube, my Topeak multitool, and two tire levers. I'm not usually riding it long enough for hunger to become an issue, so I don't pack food in it, but I would have room for some snack bars. On my road bike, I downsize what I carry (not the whole wallet) and fit everything into an under the seat bag, with two water bottles on my frame.

bigbiker1 06-08-17 08:48 AM

Thanks for the help all! I have not purchased a helmet yet, I figure I don't really want to wear one unless I am riding on the road and I don't want to do that.

I have a bunch of Underarmor moisture wicking shirts that I use for undershirts, those should work until I can get a jersey. I will need to get a little bag for under the saddle and all the essential items mentioned.

One thing I didn't understand "a boot in case the tire carcass is cut (you can buy cheap park tool versions or you can salvage old inner tubes OR you can fold up a dollar bill and just use that in a pinch.)" - not sure what this means?

Garilia 06-08-17 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by bigbiker1 (Post 19639601)
Thanks for the help all! I have not purchased a helmet yet, I figure I don't really want to wear one unless I am riding on the road and I don't want to do that.

I have a bunch of Underarmor moisture wicking shirts that I use for undershirts, those should work until I can get a jersey. I will need to get a little bag for under the saddle and all the essential items mentioned.

One thing I didn't understand "a boot in case the tire carcass is cut (you can buy cheap park tool versions or you can salvage old inner tubes OR you can fold up a dollar bill and just use that in a pinch.)" - not sure what this means?

Sometimes a flat tire doesn't just happen because something pokes through the tire to the tube and makes a hole in the tube. In those cases you patch or replace the tube and ride on. Sometimes what causes the flat actually slices up the tire a bit and makes a hole in the tube. In a situation like that, it's often not enough to just repair the tube, because the tube might start to bulge out through the hole or slice in the wheel and cause another flat. In these cases, you need something to put inbetween the tube and the hole in the tire. some people carry a piece of cut up inner tube to use, some use a dollar bill, some use swatches of Tyvek envelopes.


Those Under Armor shirts are great.

bigbiker1 06-08-17 09:25 AM


Originally Posted by Garilia (Post 19639644)
Sometimes a flat tire doesn't just happen because something pokes through the tire to the tube and makes a hole in the tube. In those cases you patch or replace the tube and ride on. Sometimes what causes the flat actually slices up the tire a bit and makes a hole in the tube. In a situation like that, it's often not enough to just repair the tube, because the tube might start to bulge out through the hole or slice in the wheel and cause another flat. In these cases, you need something to put inbetween the tube and the hole in the tire. some people carry a piece of cut up inner tube to use, some use a dollar bill, some use swatches of Tyvek envelopes.

How to make a tire boot

Those Under Armor shirts are great.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

MRT2 06-08-17 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by bigbiker1 (Post 19639601)
Thanks for the help all! I have not purchased a helmet yet, I figure I don't really want to wear one unless I am riding on the road and I don't want to do that.

I have a bunch of Underarmor moisture wicking shirts that I use for undershirts, those should work until I can get a jersey. I will need to get a little bag for under the saddle and all the essential items mentioned.

One thing I didn't understand "a boot in case the tire carcass is cut (you can buy cheap park tool versions or you can salvage old inner tubes OR you can fold up a dollar bill and just use that in a pinch.)" - not sure what this means?

the most gruesome bike related head injury I ever saw happened on a bike path. The rider in question was riding slowly, maybe 10 or 12 mph at most. lost focus for a few second and rode off the path into a tree, then rolled down an incline into a ditch overgrown with thorny weeds.

His helmet was cracked and he was bleeding from a cut on his head. We called an ambulance and the guy was rushed to the hospital. If he didn't have a helmet, he might have died.

10 Wheels 06-08-17 09:40 AM

Hit in the HEAD by a falling tree limb

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ree%20limb.jpg

10 Wheels 06-08-17 09:43 AM

Got my First Helmet from Goodwill

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...heels/YC19.jpg

ptempel 06-08-17 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by bigbiker1 (Post 19639601)
One thing I didn't understand "a boot in case the tire carcass is cut (you can buy cheap park tool versions or you can salvage old inner tubes OR you can fold up a dollar bill and just use that in a pinch.)" - not sure what this means?

The "boot" is a piece of something to go between a large tire hole (like in the case of a blowout or sidewall slice) and the inner tube. It prevents the new inner tube from popping out thus causing another blowout. Its rare, but good to have. Its a temp solution to work just long enough to get you to the car or home. You can use a dollar bill, a Park tire boot:

TB-2 Emergency Tire Boot | Park Tool

a cut piece of old inner tube, etc. I'll echo what @10 Wheels posted about the helmet. Its a good idea to have if nothing else for the stuff you can't think of. Like a guy once getting hit on the helmet by a golf ball. If he didn't have a helmet, he'd probably have a concussion and a skull fracture. Some situations like that just cannot be made up...

mwalsh5757 06-08-17 10:12 AM


Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 19639694)
Got my First Helmet from Goodwill


Got my helmet so I looked more like a cyclist on the MUT and less like a homeless person with a bike. The helmet seemed to be the differentiation between the two groups.

I still really don't care for the way it musses up my hair, but the girls in the office are rarely, if ever, impressed by my physical being anyway and I don't have to meet with external clients, so I've grown to care less about how I look post-ride.

rgconner 06-08-17 11:54 AM


Originally Posted by MRT2 (Post 19639670)
the most gruesome bike related head injury I ever saw happened on a bike path. The rider in question was riding slowly, maybe 10 or 12 mph at most. lost focus for a few second and rode off the path into a tree, then rolled down an incline into a ditch overgrown with thorny weeds.

His helmet was cracked and he was bleeding from a cut on his head. We called an ambulance and the guy was rushed to the hospital. If he didn't have a helmet, he might have died.

The ground isn't really all that much softer on the MUT.

Used to have people ask me why I wore full face while riding my Vespa... the cars and ground are no softer on the Vespa than the BMW.

bigbiker1 06-08-17 12:24 PM

Point taken on the helmet, I make my son wear one so I suppose I should wear one as well.

Today I picked up a small bag for under the saddle, 2 inner tubes, tire levers, open finger biking gloves and a really nice tire pump that is bike mounted. The pump has a pressure gauge and the foot peg with flexible hosing.

I will look into a helmet and biking shoes next.

ptempel 06-08-17 12:35 PM


Originally Posted by mwalsh5757 (Post 19639748)
I still really don't care for the way it musses up my hair, but the girls in the office are rarely, if ever, impressed by my physical being anyway and I don't have to meet with external clients, so I've grown to care less about how I look post-ride.

I always wash my hair and face in the mens room sink at work. So my hair at least looks fresher than otherwise (what little bit I have left :) ).

mwalsh5757 06-08-17 12:41 PM


Originally Posted by ptempel (Post 19640116)
I always wash my hair and face in the mens room sink at work. So my hair at least looks fresher than otherwise (what little bit I have left :) ).

I do at least run a comb through mine. After all, I'm not an animal. But I won't wash my hair at work.

Now if we had shower facilities and a dryer I would probably be inclined, but we don't.

bigbiker1 06-08-17 06:18 PM

I keep my hair buzzed, I am the type of guy that hates messing with my hair. I would gladly trade my full head of hair with a bald guy if it were possible lol.

bigbiker1 06-09-17 07:38 PM

Ok a few more questions. I went ahead and pulled some money from savings and I bought a helmet, do-rag (a nice one) and cycling shoes. The salesman took one look at me and said he highly doubted he had any shoes that would fit me, I wear 13 4E shoes. To his surprise he found a pair that were size 15 US equivalent and they are a bit tight, but I don't have to walk in them and they were not tight enough to hurt so I bought them. Very glad I did! On my ride today I didn't have to keep adjusting my feet and I could easily pedal with the balls of my feet without slipping. The shoes cost $125 but with the odd way they are sized and how big my feet are I didn't want to have to order online, it could end up in a vicious try and return cycle. Plus I am supporting my local LBS.

Anyway I have a problem. I always wear headphones when I workout, no matter if I am walking, jogging, lifting weights, riding my bike. Its not a negotiable situation, I HAVE to have that music or audio book playing when I work out in order to concentrate on something other than the exercise itself. Its how I force myself to do what does not come naturally to me, IE exercise. I actually look forward to that time mainly because I get to listen to a good book or some great music. I would quickly lose motivation to exercise without it. I am OCD and this is an essential coping mechanism for me. Obviously I can't wear my over the ear bluetooth headphones with a helmet. I know I really should wear one, if nothing else because I make my son wear one and I don't want him to see me go without. I need a solution for some kind of blutooth headphone I can wear with a helmet. Earbuds are not very comfortable, and I would be really afraid of losing one while biking. Also earbuds block out most of the sound around you, with my over the ear ones I can still hear all but the quietest sounds around me. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Also, the main reason I am biking is to lose weight and lower the use of insulin and other diabetic meds. I have already reduced insulin intake by 80%, its remarkable how fast my metabolism changes when I start exercising. However I struggle with how much I should eat and when compared to my ride times. Today I ate really bad for lunch, ate a double cheeseburger. Bad choice I know, but its really the first really bad choice in a couple of weeks. Also I am NOT dieting, if I diet I end up with cravings so bad that I end up gorging. However I am doing my best to limit the junk I eat. I have one small sweet with my latte before bed instead of eating half a dozen cookies in one sitting like happens if I try to cut them out all together. I also eat a couple apples a day and carrots and hummus, string or sharp cheddar cheese and trail mix (that I make myself) for snacks. Anyway back to my point. Because I ate bad for lunch I did not want to eat anything before my ride, but I didn't get to ride until about 5 hours after I ate lunch. I did 5 miles fine but when I hit 5.75 miles I hit a brick wall, it was everything I could do to make it back to my Jeep. When I got there I almost fell when I tried to get off my bike, luckily I was close enough to my Jeep to grab on. I really don't think I rode near far enough to have bonked, I think it was low blood sugar. I felt better after eating a couple glucose tabs, from now on I will keep a few in my saddle pack. I am just really struggling to figure out what to eat. Its not as big of a deal right now because my rides are so short, but hopefully in a month or so they will increase a bit in length. Anybody know how I should begin to calculate what I should eat, or does it just have to be trial and error?

travbikeman 06-09-17 07:55 PM

Need an affordable helmet and are strapped for cash, then Amazon or even and surprisingly I'm going to say this...Wal Mart. They sell decent helmets for good prices.

I suggest helmets, especially after this past fall watching Walnuts or some other huge nuts fall off of the trees on the C&O canal. They would hit the trail and would literally bounce 6 feet up and come back down again. Yea, I was very willing to wear the helmet rather than getting hit by one of those!

Oops...just read your latest post, you have a helmet......oh well...had to put my two cents in anyways.

travbikeman 06-09-17 08:05 PM


Originally Posted by bigbiker1 (Post 19643450)
Also, the main reason I am biking is to lose weight and lower the use of insulin and other diabetic meds. I have already reduced insulin intake by 80%, its remarkable how fast my metabolism changes when I start exercising. However I struggle with how much I should eat and when compared to my ride times. Today I ate really bad for lunch, ate a double cheeseburger. Bad choice I know, but its really the first really bad choice in a couple of weeks. Also I am NOT dieting, if I diet I end up with cravings so bad that I end up gorging. However I am doing my best to limit the junk I eat. I have one small sweet with my latte before bed instead of eating half a dozen cookies in one sitting like happens if I try to cut them out all together. I also eat a couple apples a day and carrots and hummus, string or sharp cheddar cheese and trail mix (that I make myself) for snacks. Anyway back to my point. Because I ate bad for lunch I did not want to eat anything before my ride, but I didn't get to ride until about 5 hours after I ate lunch. I did 5 miles fine but when I hit 5.75 miles I hit a brick wall, it was everything I could do to make it back to my Jeep. When I got there I almost fell when I tried to get off my bike, luckily I was close enough to my Jeep to grab on. I really don't think I rode near far enough to have bonked, I think it was low blood sugar. I felt better after eating a couple glucose tabs, from now on I will keep a few in my saddle pack. I am just really struggling to figure out what to eat. Its not as big of a deal right now because my rides are so short, but hopefully in a month or so they will increase a bit in length. Anybody know how I should begin to calculate what I should eat, or does it just have to be trial and error?

Don't beat yourself up over eating an occasional burger. I've learned while on my weight lost journey myself, that doing such things makes you feel like your punishing yourself. An occasional enjoyment of some foods are not as bad as you would think. It's worse when you punish yourself for 5 hours before your ride like you did and then bonk. I've also noticed that I tend to worry less about eating an occasional burger, when buying leaner cuts of meat and grilling it myself rather than buying it from a restaurant. I ALWAYS cook better than the restaurants and the food is so much more satisfying.

MRT2 06-09-17 09:16 PM


Originally Posted by bigbiker1 (Post 19643450)
Ok a few more questions. I went ahead and pulled some money from savings and I bought a helmet, do-rag (a nice one) and cycling shoes. The salesman took one look at me and said he highly doubted he had any shoes that would fit me, I wear 13 4E shoes. To his surprise he found a pair that were size 15 US equivalent and they are a bit tight, but I don't have to walk in them and they were not tight enough to hurt so I bought them. Very glad I did! On my ride today I didn't have to keep adjusting my feet and I could easily pedal with the balls of my feet without slipping. The shoes cost $125 but with the odd way they are sized and how big my feet are I didn't want to have to order online, it could end up in a vicious try and return cycle. Plus I am supporting my local LBS.

Anyway I have a problem. I always wear headphones when I workout, no matter if I am walking, jogging, lifting weights, riding my bike. Its not a negotiable situation, I HAVE to have that music or audio book playing when I work out in order to concentrate on something other than the exercise itself. Its how I force myself to do what does not come naturally to me, IE exercise. I actually look forward to that time mainly because I get to listen to a good book or some great music. I would quickly lose motivation to exercise without it. I am OCD and this is an essential coping mechanism for me. Obviously I can't wear my over the ear bluetooth headphones with a helmet. I know I really should wear one, if nothing else because I make my son wear one and I don't want him to see me go without. I need a solution for some kind of blutooth headphone I can wear with a helmet. Earbuds are not very comfortable, and I would be really afraid of losing one while biking. Also earbuds block out most of the sound around you, with my over the ear ones I can still hear all but the quietest sounds around me. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Also, the main reason I am biking is to lose weight and lower the use of insulin and other diabetic meds. I have already reduced insulin intake by 80%, its remarkable how fast my metabolism changes when I start exercising. However I struggle with how much I should eat and when compared to my ride times. Today I ate really bad for lunch, ate a double cheeseburger. Bad choice I know, but its really the first really bad choice in a couple of weeks. Also I am NOT dieting, if I diet I end up with cravings so bad that I end up gorging. However I am doing my best to limit the junk I eat. I have one small sweet with my latte before bed instead of eating half a dozen cookies in one sitting like happens if I try to cut them out all together. I also eat a couple apples a day and carrots and hummus, string or sharp cheddar cheese and trail mix (that I make myself) for snacks. Anyway back to my point. Because I ate bad for lunch I did not want to eat anything before my ride, but I didn't get to ride until about 5 hours after I ate lunch. I did 5 miles fine but when I hit 5.75 miles I hit a brick wall, it was everything I could do to make it back to my Jeep. When I got there I almost fell when I tried to get off my bike, luckily I was close enough to my Jeep to grab on. I really don't think I rode near far enough to have bonked, I think it was low blood sugar. I felt better after eating a couple glucose tabs, from now on I will keep a few in my saddle pack. I am just really struggling to figure out what to eat. Its not as big of a deal right now because my rides are so short, but hopefully in a month or so they will increase a bit in length. Anybody know how I should begin to calculate what I should eat, or does it just have to be trial and error?

Uh, maybe you should consider some other activity. Seriously. You are exposed and need to rely on all your senses, but hearing especially to be aware of your surroundings, including cars, bikes, joggers, and animals. Save the headphones for the gym.

Garilia 06-10-17 06:01 AM

I'm going to second what MRT2 is saying. I love music. I have over 30,000 songs in my iTunes Library and probably 50,000 on my computer. But I never ever wear headphones/earbuds when bicycle riding. To me that is handicapping one of the most important senses that contributes to my safety when out riding. I know that in many states, it's illegal to wear headphones when driving. In Florida and Rhode Island headphones or earbuds are prohibited while driving or operating a bicycle.

It's illegal in my state, Florida, as well.

bigbiker1 06-10-17 07:26 AM

I know people have strong opinions on this, but I completely disagree with the segment of people that are against cycling with headphones. I know I can hear MUCH better than anyone in a car on my bike with my headphones on. That there are laws against it in some states are laughable to me.

Should you cycle with earphones in? - Cycling Weekly

Also like I said, I am not riding on the road or an any urban areas. I run into joggers all the time with earbuds in and most of them can hear my "on the left" just fine, though I have had a few that have the earbuds blaring and don't. I won't wear earbuds, but I will find an over the ear solution that will work with a helmet.

rumrunn6 06-10-17 07:30 AM

stiff soled walking shoes & I use 9/16 to 9/16 21mm pedal extenders on all 3 bikes. good luck & have fun!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.