Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anybody on a Cannondale Synapse Alloy?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Anybody on a Cannondale Synapse Alloy?

Old 08-17-17, 04:42 PM
  #1  
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,123

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Anybody on a Cannondale Synapse Alloy?

I was in the LBS drooling today and I got talking to the sales guy/owner and I said someday when I am "skinny" enough I want to get a actual road bike. He said to me why don't you have one now? I said because I am just under 300 pounds....he said "so" I almost laughed out loud.




He showed me the Cannondale Synapse line of bikes and I really liked the alloy 105. He said there was no reason I could not ride one. I would be needing a new heavy man rear wheel but said I would be fine on it otherwise.




Any thoughts??
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 08-17-17, 05:12 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,394

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Ive been riding a '13 Synapse carbon - the 105 version, pretty regularly for about 4 years now -- i think they are outfitted pretty similarly except for the frame material, Mine doesnt have disc brakes though

Has not needed a new wheel yet. In '13 i was 320, -- i peaked at 335 last year but am now down to 295

I wasnt always fat and ive been riding since 1989 -- over the years i have learned to ride light and am fairly easy on equipment as a result

That said, the wheels on these are not expensive, if you crunch one it wont be a huge loss-- but i'd give the stockers a chance first
DMC707 is offline  
Old 08-17-17, 05:57 PM
  #3  
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,123

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Ive been riding a '13 Synapse carbon - the 105 version, pretty regularly for about 4 years now -- i think they are outfitted pretty similarly except for the frame material, Mine doesnt have disc brakes though

Has not needed a new wheel yet. In '13 i was 320, -- i peaked at 335 last year but am now down to 295

I wasnt always fat and ive been riding since 1989 -- over the years i have learned to ride light and am fairly easy on equipment as a result

That said, the wheels on these are not expensive, if you crunch one it wont be a huge loss-- but i'd give the stockers a chance first


Thanks for the insight...I have been dropping weight and feeling good so this gives me confidence in the bike.


thank you.


I am going to try this bike I think, I really like it.


Just out of curiosity, what tires you running on yours?
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 12:13 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 5,394

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Thanks for the insight...I have been dropping weight and feeling good so this gives me confidence in the bike.


thank you.


I am going to try this bike I think, I really like it.


Just out of curiosity, what tires you running on yours?

Stock Schwalbe Legnano's for a while, -- didnt see a real need to change em -- But now i have some Continental kevlar bead tires on, i dont know the exact nomenclature but they are a sport oriented tire (Ultra Sport maybe?)-- not particularly high dollar but they corner well -- 700x28's
DMC707 is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 04:49 PM
  #5  
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,553

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Test rode one just a few days ago (in a 58.) Sadly, I found it unremarkable. It was... okay. When I get on a bike I'm even thinking about buying, it has to wow me. So if you didn't test ride it, absolutely do so before reaching for your wallet.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 07:20 PM
  #6  
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,123

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Test rode one just a few days ago (in a 58.) Sadly, I found it unremarkable. It was... okay. When I get on a bike I'm even thinking about buying, it has to wow me. So if you didn't test ride it, absolutely do so before reaching for your wallet.
Oh yeah will test ride no doubt. First real road bike makes me nervous though
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 07:20 PM
  #7  
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,123

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Test rode one just a few days ago (in a 58.) Sadly, I found it unremarkable. It was... okay. When I get on a bike I'm even thinking about buying, it has to wow me. So if you didn't test ride it, absolutely do so before reaching for your wallet.
What do you ride now?
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 07:24 PM
  #8  
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,553

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
What do you ride now?
I don't need an excuse to post a picture of my shiny new thing, but I'll take one!



It is absolutely brilliant.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 08-18-17, 07:27 PM
  #9  
Heft On Wheels
Thread Starter
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,123

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I don't need an excuse to post a picture of my shiny new thing, but I'll take one!



It is absolutely brilliant.
Your right it's super nice!!!
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 08-20-17, 05:31 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I was in the LBS drooling today and I got talking to the sales guy/owner and I said someday when I am "skinny" enough I want to get a actual road bike. He said to me why don't you have one now? I said because I am just under 300 pounds....he said "so" I almost laughed out loud.




He showed me the Cannondale Synapse line of bikes and I really liked the alloy 105. He said there was no reason I could not ride one. I would be needing a new heavy man rear wheel but said I would be fine on it otherwise.




Any thoughts??
I test-rode a 2017 Synapse Alloy 105 Disc--and absolutely loved it. But then I made the mistake of test riding a SuperSix Evo Disc, and, well, here I am. LOL! Frankly, the Synapse would have been brilliant and more than enough, but... N+1. Buy what pucks your heart strings or makes sense TO YOU. Great bike.
Erwin8r is offline  
Old 08-20-17, 05:42 PM
  #11  
Forum Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,713

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3108 Post(s)
Liked 6,670 Times in 3,824 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I was in the LBS drooling today and I got talking to the sales guy/owner and I said someday when I am "skinny" enough I want to get a actual road bike. He said to me why don't you have one now? I said because I am just under 300 pounds....he said "so" I almost laughed out loud.

He showed me the Cannondale Synapse line of bikes and I really liked the alloy 105. He said there was no reason I could not ride one. I would be needing a new heavy man rear wheel but said I would be fine on it otherwise.

Any thoughts??
I've been riding a 2006 aluminum 105 Synapse for 10 years now. It has over 20,000 miles on it. I'm just under 200 lbs and have been as high as 211. No issues. Great bike.
cb400bill is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nspatafora
Road Cycling
2
05-02-17 04:44 PM
tesslater
Road Cycling
2
09-23-16 04:13 PM
msr13
Road Cycling
39
09-17-12 05:45 PM
wayneIII
Road Cycling
5
04-13-12 01:10 PM
astyler
Road Cycling
13
06-28-10 07:44 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.