Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo-Loading XXXIV

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-18, 03:47 PM
  #1  
jimincalif
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,586

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Carbo-Loading XXXIV

This is a tricky one, moving from III to IV, better get it going before @TrojanHorse tries to set it up!
jimincalif is offline  
Old 02-01-18, 03:48 PM
  #2  
jimincalif
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,586

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
Congratulations are in order! What's the little guy's name? Hope he gets out of NICU quickly and is healthy!
Moved to the new thread. His name is Matthew. Thanks for the good wishes!
jimincalif is offline  
Old 02-01-18, 04:07 PM
  #3  
ill.clyde
Senior Member
 
ill.clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brodhead, WI - south of Madison
Posts: 2,779

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Yes! Congrats!
ill.clyde is online now  
Old 02-01-18, 06:35 PM
  #4  
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 3,105

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, RIP 12 Trek 4.5 Madone RIP, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace & 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jimincalif View Post
Moved to the new thread. His name is Matthew. Thanks for the good wishes!

I don't know why I like hearing what folks chose as names. I have a friend who named her second boy Henry Aaron and they call him Hank.



So will be sending little Matthew my thoughts and prayers for getting out of NICU and home with mommy and daddy.
Beachgrad05 is offline  
Old 02-01-18, 06:47 PM
  #5  
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Today I learned what happens when you cut daily calories by 1/2 for a full week, then try to pop out and ride a metric century. Like riding through water. Add to that a soft headwind for pretty much the whole day and I'm more tired than I thought I would be, considering the level of effort I bothered to put into it.

Also, first ride with a chest-strap HRM. It's not so bad. I didn't notice it most of the time, and really like how quickly it tracks changes in HR-- there's like zero lag. I still wish I could be using a watch type, but MIO discontinued the Link/Velo, the Scosche is getting worse reviews by the day, and the Polar is unconscionably expensive. So
it will be the soft strap Garmin for the time being, at least. No weird HR spikes in a 4-hour ride, thanks most likely to the fact that it was 85º and I sweat my way through almost 4 bottles of water.

Dead of winter, right?
__________________
DrIsotope is online now  
Old 02-01-18, 07:32 PM
  #6  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 1,273

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Today I learned what happens when you cut daily calories by 1/2 for a full week, then try to pop out and ride a metric century. Like riding through water. Add to that a soft headwind for pretty much the whole day and I'm more tired than I thought I would be, considering the level of effort I bothered to put into it.
That describes many of my rides. Like I am perpetually bonked. But I give you a lot of credit for getting a metric century done.
ericy is offline  
Old 02-01-18, 07:35 PM
  #7  
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Worse than the wind and no fuel, the headphone battery died about 30 miles in, so I was alone with my thoughts for a solid 2 hours. That's not a good place.
__________________
DrIsotope is online now  
Old 02-01-18, 10:57 PM
  #8  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,395

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Today I learned what happens when you cut daily calories by 1/2 for a full week, then try to pop out and ride a metric century. Like riding through water. Add to that a soft headwind for pretty much the whole day and I'm more tired than I thought I would be, considering the level of effort I bothered to put into it.

Also, first ride with a chest-strap HRM. It's not so bad. I didn't notice it most of the time, and really like how quickly it tracks changes in HR-- there's like zero lag. I still wish I could be using a watch type, but MIO discontinued the Link/Velo, the Scosche is getting worse reviews by the day, and the Polar is unconscionably expensive. So
it will be the soft strap Garmin for the time being, at least. No weird HR spikes in a 4-hour ride, thanks most likely to the fact that it was 85º and I sweat my way through almost 4 bottles of water.

Dead of winter, right?
Sounds like my century ride attempt the other day, felt like a pool noodle for the first 4 hours then finished strong.
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 02-02-18, 08:13 AM
  #9  
ill.clyde
Senior Member
 
ill.clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brodhead, WI - south of Madison
Posts: 2,779

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
I like the chest HRMs ... even have had success with Polar, though it's a bit finicky with Zwift these days.

And I personally like being alone with my thoughts while I ride ... I think more clearly on the bike than I do at my desk or elsewhere.
ill.clyde is online now  
Old 02-02-18, 01:12 PM
  #10  
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel
 
RubeRad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,711

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
I don't know why I like hearing what folks chose as names. I have a friend who named her second boy Henry Aaron and they call him Hank.
That's cool. But I find so often nowadays parents get a little too creative. I guess I'm just an old grouch now, but I find myself all the time running into people with weird names, or bizarre spellings of names, and thinking (or saying!) "If that were my name, I'd change it" legally change it to make it right.

There's a guy I work with named Markcus. Look closely, not Marcus, not Markus, not even Marckus, but MarKCus. SPELLING -- you're doing it wrong!
RubeRad is offline  
Old 02-02-18, 02:03 PM
  #11  
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Hills not too steep to ride up, but waaaaay too steep to ride down. I mean, I did take some wrong turns. But you could do worse for a view.

__________________
DrIsotope is online now  
Old 02-02-18, 03:12 PM
  #12  
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel
 
RubeRad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,711

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Hills not too steep to ride up, but waaaaay too steep to ride down.
That exists? If a hill gets so gnarly that I have to dismount and walk it down, there's no way I could ride back up it
RubeRad is offline  
Old 02-02-18, 03:15 PM
  #13  
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Yeah, I'm on Hutchinson Overides-- which did remarkably well considering what they are. But going up the singletracks, I had to stay seated to keep weight on the rear tire. I had a couple instances where I could feel the rear kinda "overspinning" but the bike still felt really planted. But some of the downgrades, gravity would shift all of my weight forward, and I felt the rear tire lifting off of the ground more than once. That's when I started walking.
__________________
DrIsotope is online now  
Old 02-02-18, 04:10 PM
  #14  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,395

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
looks FUN!!!
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 01:42 AM
  #15  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,460

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
That's cool. But I find so often nowadays parents get a little too creative. I guess I'm just an old grouch now, but I find myself all the time running into people with weird names, or bizarre spellings of names, and thinking (or saying!) "If that were my name, I'd change it" legally change it to make it right.

There's a guy I work with named Markcus. Look closely, not Marcus, not Markus, not even Marckus, but MarKCus. SPELLING -- you're doing it wrong!
At least it wasn't Plaxico or D'Brickashaw
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 02:41 AM
  #16  
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
DrIsotope is online now  
Old 02-04-18, 09:19 PM
  #17  
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Con-sis-ten-cy!



And I've had my saddle(s) too low for weeks, so I have a wonderful, persistent soreness in my quads. I raised my saddle a full half inch today, and it felt a good bit better. How long it will take to recover from this I have no idea.
__________________
DrIsotope is online now  
Old 02-04-18, 09:27 PM
  #18  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 1,273

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
And I've had my saddle(s) too low for weeks, so I have a wonderful, persistent soreness in my quads. I raised my saddle a full half inch today, and it felt a good bit better.
I came to the same realization in the middle of my FTP test, but trying to stop and fix it would have screwed up the results.
ericy is offline  
Old 02-04-18, 09:32 PM
  #19  
DrIsotope 
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 4,877

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
During my last attempted FTP debacle, my FD decided to stop shifting out of the small ring. It had never done it before, and it has never done it since. But for about 15 minutes, I was trapped in the 36T.
__________________
DrIsotope is online now  
Old 02-05-18, 10:30 AM
  #20  
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 3,105

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, RIP 12 Trek 4.5 Madone RIP, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace & 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
I did 100 miles on the trainer yesterday. It sucked and I cannot imagine ever wanting to do that again.
Beachgrad05 is offline  
Old 02-05-18, 10:40 AM
  #21  
jimincalif
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,586

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
OMG, I cannot imagine more than an hour on a trainer! Well done, but hopefully your next century is outdoors. You're doing Palm Springs IIRC? I'm not, but that should be a piece of cake for you compared to doing it on a trainer.
jimincalif is offline  
Old 02-05-18, 12:06 PM
  #22  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18,565
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Q: Your team just won the Super Bowl. What are you going to do?
A: Eat horse poop.
indyfabz is online now  
Old 02-05-18, 12:17 PM
  #23  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 12,460

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
So... hit the road once again for yet another trip to Oceanside (Breakwater has Todos Santos on tap again! Motivation is powerful)

We started in Corona and one of the participants said - btw, there is no train service from Oceanside today (only from Laguna)- there's a bus leaving at 2:50 to Laguna instead of a train, and there's no late bus, just the one.

OK, challenge accepted.

Then Vic decides to have THREE FLATS IN ONE RIDE! The last one past San Onofre and I started campaigning to turn around, eat lunch in San Clemente and then we could ride to Laguna but against all the odds, we made it to Oceanside at 1:30pm, which was not really enough time to have two beers and order a sandwich to go, but we did it anyway.

Then the bus was late. Actually, it never showed up.

Then two buses showed up at the same time close to 4pm.... these buses have two bike rack spots on the front of the bus and there were three of us and assorted other random cyclists. So we nonchalantly walked our bikes onto the bus and the driver about had a heart attack - "Oh no you don't!" She said... you'l have to wait for another bus (yeah right!) and WE said no way! We'll miss the train in Laguna and that can't happen. She said "I'll have to call my supervisor" which we knew wouldn't end well. HE said we have to get off, WE said no way (politely) and she finally caved, thank goodness. Better to ask forgiveness than permission, I always say.

Got home close to 8 pm instead of 4:45 but it was a gorgeous day to ride a bike.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 02-05-18, 01:02 PM
  #24  
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 3,105

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, RIP 12 Trek 4.5 Madone RIP, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace & 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
So... hit the road once again for yet another trip to Oceanside (Breakwater has Todos Santos on tap again! Motivation is powerful)

We started in Corona and one of the participants said - btw, there is no train service from Oceanside today (only from Laguna)- there's a bus leaving at 2:50 to Laguna instead of a train, and there's no late bus, just the one.

OK, challenge accepted.

Then Vic decides to have THREE FLATS IN ONE RIDE! The last one past San Onofre and I started campaigning to turn around, eat lunch in San Clemente and then we could ride to Laguna but against all the odds, we made it to Oceanside at 1:30pm, which was not really enough time to have two beers and order a sandwich to go, but we did it anyway.

Then the bus was late. Actually, it never showed up.

Then two buses showed up at the same time close to 4pm.... these buses have two bike rack spots on the front of the bus and there were three of us and assorted other random cyclists. So we nonchalantly walked our bikes onto the bus and the driver about had a heart attack - "Oh no you don't!" She said... you'l have to wait for another bus (yeah right!) and WE said no way! We'll miss the train in Laguna and that can't happen. She said "I'll have to call my supervisor" which we knew wouldn't end well. HE said we have to get off, WE said no way (politely) and she finally caved, thank goodness. Better to ask forgiveness than permission, I always say.

Got home close to 8 pm instead of 4:45 but it was a gorgeous day to ride a bike.

That must be really good beer!
Beachgrad05 is offline  
Old 02-05-18, 01:05 PM
  #25  
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 3,105

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, RIP 12 Trek 4.5 Madone RIP, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace & 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Originally Posted by jimincalif View Post
OMG, I cannot imagine more than an hour on a trainer! Well done, but hopefully your next century is outdoors. You're doing Palm Springs IIRC? I'm not, but that should be a piece of cake for you compared to doing it on a trainer.

I partly did it to see if I can manage 100 miles at all. It was tough and of course indoor centuries are way tougher than outdoors for a variety of reasons. My fastest moving time for PS is about 7 hrs 13 min. I'm not exactly a speed burner more of a plodder. I expect to be riding solo among thousands because I cannot keep the pace that the others from here can do. I will see them at start and that is it.


At least now I know I should be able to put in the miles.
Beachgrad05 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service