Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Weight averaged over a year.

Old 07-24-18, 11:20 AM
  #1  
masi61
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,054

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Weight averaged over a year.

Now that fitness trackers have been around for a few years it is interesting to look at long term data. I have bad news about my weight average since January ~#204.9 average. But better news when I go back 12 months ~#196 average.

Seeing the smaller ups and downs on a daily basis (when I weigh myself at the gym or work at the hospital) as well as the bigger summer plunge/winter spike - is humbling but insight provoking for me.

Just curious how others view the weight tracking that is possible over time using Fitbit or other fitness trackers?
masi61 is offline  
Old 07-24-18, 01:18 PM
  #2  
InOmaha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I stopped tracking weight because it wasn't an indication of my health. In fact my weight has been steadily going up lately as I've cut back on cycling to 3 days a week and starting lifting weights 3 days a week. I feel better, my blood pressure is down, my bad cholesterol is at the low end, etc. But I'm up from 220 to 240. It fits me fine since I'm 6'3" (190.5 cm),

I'm not sure I'll ever be below 200 again in my life and don't really care. Weight is just one measurement tool, but IMHO the mirror and my clothes are better measurement tools. I quit tracking myself with Strava because it was too competitive oriented and the results were not a good indicator for my overall health. I track miles and heartrate with my tracker, but don't care much about calorie burn estimates or how fast I finished a segment compared to others.

You can drive yourself a little crazy tracking everything all the time.
InOmaha is offline  
Old 07-24-18, 03:44 PM
  #3  
aplcr0331
Compulsory Collectivisim
 
aplcr0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Northwest
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
the mirror and my clothes are better measurement tools
You think you look better with an additional 20lbs on you? Interesting.

I can see a difference going from 203 up to 218. And it's not good.
aplcr0331 is offline  
Old 07-24-18, 09:14 PM
  #4  
InOmaha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have more muscle now. So yes, I look better. I lost an inch off my waist doing sit ups that gave me abs, my biceps/triceps are way bigger, I have shoulder muscles and pecks. And surprisingly more stamina for general daily life activities then when I rode every day. I could have ridden a bicycle until I looked like a TDF/anorexic runway model, but I'd rather look healthy and more like Dwyane Johnson with hair. He has 20 lbs on me and is roughly my age.

No reason to set some arbitrary 200 lb limit on my health. I haven't been below 200 since I was 20; 28 years ago. I've been fat, and I've been in shape at roughly the same weight. I've been 270 fat and out of shape and 225 and overweight and out of shape.

My lowest weight cycling every day was 218 lbs.

Last edited by InOmaha; 07-24-18 at 09:21 PM.
InOmaha is offline  
Old 07-25-18, 09:28 AM
  #5  
PatrickR400 
Senior Member
 
PatrickR400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Laval, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 406

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
Now that fitness trackers have been around for a few years it is interesting to look at long term data. I have bad news about my weight average since January ~#204.9 average. But better news when I go back 12 months ~#196 average.

Seeing the smaller ups and downs on a daily basis (when I weigh myself at the gym or work at the hospital) as well as the bigger summer plunge/winter spike - is humbling but insight provoking for me.

Just curious how others view the weight tracking that is possible over time using Fitbit or other fitness trackers?
I track weight but I also track body composition. Loosing weight is one thing, but weight may also increase as you add muscle.

The TrainerRoad guys do very fancy body composition scans (DEXA) but, as they have observed, you can also use a low cost bathroom scale to get very equivalent results. I use a Tanita scale, and record weight, and body composition daily.
__________________

Strava profile
PatrickR400 is offline  
Old 08-03-18, 09:56 AM
  #6  
Rock71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 239

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
I have more muscle now. So yes, I look better. I lost an inch off my waist doing sit ups that gave me abs, my biceps/triceps are way bigger, I have shoulder muscles and pecks. And surprisingly more stamina for general daily life activities then when I rode every day. I could have ridden a bicycle until I looked like a TDF/anorexic runway model, but I'd rather look healthy and more like Dwyane Johnson with hair. He has 20 lbs on me and is roughly my age.

No reason to set some arbitrary 200 lb limit on my health. I haven't been below 200 since I was 20; 28 years ago. I've been fat, and I've been in shape at roughly the same weight. I've been 270 fat and out of shape and 225 and overweight and out of shape.

My lowest weight cycling every day was 218 lbs.
I agree, I'm 5-11 1/2 and much below 215 or 210 and i don't look or feel right. I came out of Army boot camp almost 30 years ago at 210. So if I lose another 10 and get to 215 that will be it for me.
Rock71 is offline  
Old 08-03-18, 01:19 PM
  #7  
Milton Keynes
Senior Member
 
Milton Keynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,469

Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife keeps complaining about how bony I am now.
Milton Keynes is offline  
Old 10-30-18, 09:43 AM
  #8  
masi61
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,054

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Just an update to report that my Fitbit still shows my average weight since January 1st, 2018 to be 202 pounds. I have been below 200 for like the last 7 or 8 months. But because I fell off the wagon and ballooned right up to 220 from December 2017 through February 2018, I am still on average above the 200 mark. It illustrates the importance of keeping up the training consistency during the cold months. Also, last winter, while recovering from Morton’s Neuroma foot surgery and binge watching cop and hospital dramas, I dispensed with my “no ice cream” rule and my taste buds re-acquired their taste for ice cream that was pretty out of hand!

Last edited by masi61; 11-06-18 at 07:21 AM.
masi61 is offline  
Old 11-05-18, 09:03 AM
  #9  
drewguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 345

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What I'd really like is for the various tracking apps to provide a moving average for a time you select (whether 10 days, 30 days, etc.) It's not really helpful to have an "average" weight for an arbitrary time period starting Jan. 1. Much more helpful to be able to see your trend (and of course, smooth out the bumps that result from, say, a big weekend of meals).
drewguy is offline  
Old 11-06-18, 02:02 AM
  #10  
masi61
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,054

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
What I'd really like is for the various tracking apps to provide a moving average for a time you select (whether 10 days, 30 days, etc.) It's not really helpful to have an "average" weight for an arbitrary time period starting Jan. 1. Much more helpful to be able to see your trend (and of course, smooth out the bumps that result from, say, a big weekend of meals).
When you swipe sideways on the weight button on the Fitbit app the trends you are seeking are easily accessed. You can look at week,month, 3 month, year and total trends. You can go back and look at periods of more gaining or losing - or prolonged plateau periods.

i weigh in at work on a doctor scale and at the gym on a doctor scale. The scale at work weighs me ~5 pounds heavier but the weight graph draws an average line across the peaks and troughs in order to generate more useful information.
masi61 is offline  
Old 11-06-18, 02:38 AM
  #11  
KraneXL
 
KraneXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: La-la Land, CA
Posts: 3,185

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2809 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 54 Posts
Are you 5'3 or 6'3? Weight by itself doesn't tell much. Also, absolute accuracy is less important than consistency. Choose one scale and stick with it.
KraneXL is offline  
Old 11-06-18, 07:23 AM
  #12  
masi61
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,054

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Are you 5'3 or 6'3? Weight by itself doesn't tell much. Also, absolute accuracy is less important than consistency. Choose one scale and stick with it.
Im 511.

I prefer to weigh in daily, and I leave my shoes on. This is why I like the built in tools for analyzing weight within Fitbit.
masi61 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ChinookTx
Bicycle Mechanics
5
04-27-19 11:13 AM
3bluebikes
Tandem Cycling
15
08-01-15 08:57 AM
cazzooo
Bicycle Mechanics
6
08-21-05 07:54 PM
jermsoccer
Bicycle Mechanics
3
08-29-04 08:20 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.