Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

So, I hadn't intended on buying a carbon bike...

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

So, I hadn't intended on buying a carbon bike...

Old 05-08-19, 03:53 PM
  #1  
insignia100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
So, I hadn't intended on buying a carbon bike...

...but I did. I picked up a 2015 Giant Defy Composite 1 at a local shop on consignment today.

Ultegra crankset, SRAM Rival shifters, unbelievably light weight compared to my Escape 3. The ride felt great, even on the 23mm tires. Sure, I guess there's some concern about a used carbon bike, but this thing has almost no wear at all that I can see, and the local shop (who has an excellent reputation) doubts there's even 400-500 miles on the bike.

Time to start training for a 50 mile ride I want to do!

insignia100 is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 04:30 PM
  #2  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,807

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
pretty bike, looks like very low miles on one or the person who detailed it needs to detail my car!

congrats
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 04:50 PM
  #3  
insignia100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I admit, I was a bit hesitant getting a white bike due to road grime, but I am a sucker I guess...

Looking into some accessories now -- cycle computer, lights, etc.
insignia100 is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 05:59 PM
  #4  
DucHuy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks great. but it's a little high compared to me
DucHuy is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 08:39 PM
  #5  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,937

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by insignia100 View Post
...but I did. I picked up a 2015 Giant Defy Composite 1 at a local shop on consignment today.

Ultegra crankset, SRAM Rival shifters, unbelievably light weight compared to my Escape 3. The ride felt great, even on the 23mm tires. Sure, I guess there's some concern about a used carbon bike, but this thing has almost no wear at all that I can see, and the local shop (who has an excellent reputation) doubts there's even 400-500 miles on the bike.

Time to start training for a 50 mile ride I want to do!


That's a nice looking bike, but probably the real question we all have is, how much did it cost you?
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 08:53 PM
  #6  
insignia100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I intentionally left that out because inevitably someone will say I overpaid.

But, considering the equipment and the fact that it was a $2500 bike when new, I think I got a pretty good deal at $1300, and its certainly a nicer bike in many respects that new bikes in the $1300 range.
insignia100 is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 09:04 PM
  #7  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,937

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by insignia100 View Post
I intentionally left that out because inevitably someone will say I overpaid.

But, considering the equipment and the fact that it was a $2500 bike when new, I think I got a pretty good deal at $1300, and its certainly a nicer bike in many respects that new bikes in the $1300 range.

That's a good price savings in my book.
ColonelSanders is offline  
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 05-08-19, 11:46 PM
  #8  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,217

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
I've had a couple used carbon bikes in my day - worked out great for me, hopefully you have the same experience. I've put 16,000 miles on the roubaix I bought used and it's still going strong!

I've also had a pair of white bikes (didn't want them but I have really come to like white bikes...)... road grime isn't a huge problem. Lemon pledge and some wipes keep it shiny AND fresh smelling.

Enjoy, that's a sharp looking bike.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 05-09-19, 11:10 AM
  #9  
insignia100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The more I think about it, the more concerned I am about the 16 spoke front wheel. If I pop a spoke, fine -- my concern would be if I'm out on a long ride and a pop a spoke I'd be stranded for a bit. I'm considering having a stronger front wheel build up but I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile just yet...
insignia100 is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 07:26 PM
  #10  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,807

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Id put some miles on it before throwing away the wheels. If you feel them flex allot when out the saddle, climbing, hard sprints or hard pavement holes than start looking. Those oem giants looks like the shimano 500 or something that came on my old cannondale. The spokes are incredibly strong to make up for lack of number of them. It actually rode real smooth just weighed a ton, almost 2k grams.
jsigone is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 08:16 PM
  #11  
insignia100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
Id put some miles on it before throwing away the wheels. If you feel them flex allot when out the saddle, climbing, hard sprints or hard pavement holes than start looking. Those oem giants looks like the shimano 500 or something that came on my old cannondale. The spokes are incredibly strong to make up for lack of number of them. It actually rode real smooth just weighed a ton, almost 2k grams.
I actually ordered a set of Velocity Deep V rims built on Shimano 105 hubs. I probably won't toss the Giant wheels, but I just won't feel confident on that 16 spoke front wheel, even if the spokes are pretty strong.
insignia100 is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 08:29 PM
  #12  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The Timbers of Fennario (CL77)
Posts: 4,916

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by insignia100 View Post
The more I think about it, the more concerned I am about the 16 spoke front wheel. If I pop a spoke, fine -- my concern would be if I'm out on a long ride and a pop a spoke I'd be stranded for a bit. I'm considering having a stronger front wheel build up but I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile just yet...
Don't worry. You are fare more likely to trash out the rear wheel. (At least I am.)
wgscott is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 10:12 PM
  #13  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Nice bike enjoy it.
Bmach is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
adam_mac84
General Cycling Discussion
4
06-06-10 09:00 PM
asmallsol
Road Cycling
7
03-24-08 09:01 AM
roccobike
Mountain Biking
2
06-14-07 10:56 PM
Itsjustb
Commuting
0
08-10-06 11:05 AM
tkehler
Touring
11
08-24-04 08:36 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.