Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

1st Bike - 330 lb. 6’4” - $1100 CAD Budget

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

1st Bike - 330 lb. 6’4” - $1100 CAD Budget

Old 04-19-21, 08:32 AM
  #1  
MrGezus
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st Bike - 330 lb. 6’4” - $1100 CAD Budget

Hello all. I stumbled across this forum after doing some digging on an /r/ website. I haven’t ridden since I was younger but would love to get back into shape. I live in the Calgary area and am planning to do paved trails and maybe a little bit of dirt/gravel paths.

I am looking for a bike that will handle my hefty body and height. I am fairly active for a large person. I recently moved here from Louisiana and the cold winters + Covid has kept me indoor more than I’d like which has been leading me to balloon.

I’m looking at a budget of around 1100 CAD. A bit less or a bit more is okay. Any suggestions on where to start? I’ve seen post similar to this but they are either much lighter than me or their budget is double mine.
MrGezus is offline  
Old 04-19-21, 09:45 AM
  #2  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 155 Posts
Check Kiiji. You will want the XL or XXL of any model of bike. If the frame is measured in numbers then you want a 22" or larger mountin bike or hybrid (bikes with a flat bar) or a 62cm or larger road style (bikes with a drop handlebar). You can sort kijiji 'bike' categories (mountain or road or city) based on frame size.

I would suggest a 29" wheel mountain bike or a hybrid for the riding you said you want to do. Or maybe a touring or 'gravel' bike.

As a heavier rider the primary problem you are likely to run into is wheel durability. It's an easy thing to solve - get a reputable shop to build you a rear wheel with 36 spokes at high tension. Flnt wheels don't take as much load so whatever came on a bike is likely to be fine, but the same solution as with the rear wheel will apply. Wheels don't collapse all at once, though - even if a bike has superlight wheels with high mileage already on them, you can safely ride, but expect spokes to start breaking eventually, then be ready to upgrade the wheel(s).
ClydeClydeson is offline  
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 04-19-21, 10:29 AM
  #3  
MrGezus
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson View Post
Check Kiiji. You will want the XL or XXL of any model of bike. If the frame is measured in numbers then you want a 22" or larger mountin bike or hybrid (bikes with a flat bar) or a 62cm or larger road style (bikes with a drop handlebar). You can sort kijiji 'bike' categories (mountain or road or city) based on frame size.

I would suggest a 29" wheel mountain bike or a hybrid for the riding you said you want to do. Or maybe a touring or 'gravel' bike.

As a heavier rider the primary problem you are likely to run into is wheel durability. It's an easy thing to solve - get a reputable shop to build you a rear wheel with 36 spokes at high tension. Flnt wheels don't take as much load so whatever came on a bike is likely to be fine, but the same solution as with the rear wheel will apply. Wheels don't collapse all at once, though - even if a bike has superlight wheels with high mileage already on them, you can safely ride, but expect spokes to start breaking eventually, then be ready to upgrade the wheel(s).
i will definitely check out Kijiji, however would it be a better bet buying something new without the knowledge of repairing or inspecting yet? If so, what are some brands that would have something like this?
MrGezus is offline  
Old 04-19-21, 02:16 PM
  #4  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 155 Posts
I just looked and there is a Norco Indie 4, a good quality hybrid bike in XL, seller is asking 650$ Seller says '99% new'.

When looking at a bike, the red flags should be (a) if you try it out and the bike pulls to one side
(b) any looseness or rattling in the wheel hubs or bottom bracket (pedal axle through the frame)
(c) if you spin the wheels and they are noticeably out of true.
(d) if loosen the seatpost bolt or quick release and the seatpost won't move in the frame

b and c are not complicated to fix, but just be aware that these indicate the bike needs more work. a and d might indicate a more serious problem that is more complicated to fix, if a fix is possible.
ClydeClydeson is offline  
Old 04-19-21, 02:18 PM
  #5  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 155 Posts
On second thought, that Norco might not be as good a choice.

My red flags a - d are worth keeping in mind, though.
ClydeClydeson is offline  
Old 04-19-21, 02:39 PM
  #6  
fettsvenska 
Senior Member
 
fettsvenska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 370

Bikes: 1977/8 Raleigh Competition 1974 Raleigh Folder 1983 Austro Daimler Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts
My one suggestion is the if you buy a used bike, plan to take to a bike shop and have it checked over and given a tune up. I concur with previous responses, that you probably need a 62cm frameset in a road bike or an XXL in a mountain bike. For reference, I'm 6'2" and ride a 60cm frame.
fettsvenska is offline  
Old 04-19-21, 02:48 PM
  #7  
MrGezus
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fettsvenska View Post
My one suggestion is the if you buy a used bike, plan to take to a bike shop and have it checked over and given a tune up. I concur with previous responses, that you probably need a 62cm frameset in a road bike or an XXL in a mountain bike. For reference, I'm 6'2" and ride a 60cm frame.
If I were able to find a mountain bike either second hand or new, Should I worry about swapping out tires to something less aggressive if I’ll be on pavement most of the time?
MrGezus is offline  
Old 04-20-21, 06:15 AM
  #8  
ClydeClydeson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 155 Posts
Just keep your tires pumped up to the max (for mountain bike tires this is usually 65 psi). THen, after you have ridden enough to wear out the tires, reward yourself with a new set of tires.
If maximum efficiency is your goal, or you want to do longer road rides, then there are better road tires available.
ClydeClydeson is offline  
Old 04-21-21, 09:25 AM
  #9  
fettsvenska 
Senior Member
 
fettsvenska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 370

Bikes: 1977/8 Raleigh Competition 1974 Raleigh Folder 1983 Austro Daimler Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGezus View Post
If I were able to find a mountain bike either second hand or new, Should I worry about swapping out tires to something less aggressive if I’ll be on pavement most of the time?
For the most part I would agree with the previous comment about tires. Try out the tires that are on the bike and they might work OK for you. Having stated that, the tires are one of the components that you want to examine closely before purchasing a used bike. If the tires are cracked or show unusual wear, then you need to account for that in the total cost of the bike. I've had good luck with WTB All Terrain tires for urban riding. Just remember that a decent pair of bike tires can easily exceed $80. I don't usually purchase the most expensive tires on the market but I never go cheap either. If you're doing more urban riding, you're going to experience little pieces of metal, shattered glass and other misc sharp objects that can cause flats. So something to think about.
fettsvenska is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 10:01 AM
  #10  
OldBike876
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am about the same size and have ridden a Norco Indie XL for the past two years in Vancouver. I had a sturdier rear wheel made for it, but it's great otherwise.
OldBike876 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.