Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-07, 08:38 PM   #1
Spartan112
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woostah, MA
Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thoughts on a new bike

I've really enjoyed getting my old bike on the road and getting in 40mi's or so on the weekends but I think I'm really interested in getting a new road bike in the spring. I think my ride is a touch big for me (it was my Dad's, he's 6'2" I'm 6') and it's more of a touring/commuter ride. I'd like to get a triple (I think) with a somewhat more aggressive geometry. It'll take some planning and saving on my part but with a little side work I have coming up I should probably be able to have about 1k-1200 on hand by May/early June for a new ride. I really like the look of the Lemonds I have seen and some of the Trek's, any thoughts? By the time I get it I won't likely be a clyde any more (down to 215 as of this AM from 288 in April) so I guess that opens up my options for frame material.
Spartan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 08:42 PM   #2
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By all means! A new bike is in order The correct number of bikes for you to own is
n= The number of bikes you currently own
Y= the perfect number of bikes for your stable

n+1=Y
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 08:47 PM   #3
Spartan112
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woostah, MA
Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mrs. Spartan is already asking what I'm going to do with the Pug...she clearly wants me to get rid of it...I think I held her off by suggesting I might turn it into my winter trainer.
Spartan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 02:27 AM   #4
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time for a 2008 Sarthe:

__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 06:50 AM   #5
Spartan112
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woostah, MA
Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a feeling the Sarthe i a touch out of my price range unless I find an 07 they're trying to clear out in the spring. It is verra nice though. Maybe I'll collect cans this winter to squirrel away some extra pennies.
Spartan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 08:16 PM   #6
rickyaustin
I Design Stuff
 
rickyaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lemond Tourmalet?

Its the next bike I want - so I know a bit about em from researching on my own.

They are marked $1209/1249 but most bike shops have them for $1099. Worth a look maybe. Full 105 components and it's sexy red.
rickyaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 10:26 PM   #7
Spartan112
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woostah, MA
Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that may be what I look at.
Spartan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 11:04 PM   #8
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyaustin View Post
Lemond Tourmalet?

Its the next bike I want - so I know a bit about em from researching on my own.

They are marked $1209/1249 but most bike shops have them for $1099. Worth a look maybe. Full 105 components and it's sexy red.
Do not speak such heresy in the presence of the Sarthe!!!

The Sarthe is only $1600?!? You can probably pick it up for 1400.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 03:47 AM   #9
Spartan112
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woostah, MA
Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Again I'd have to save my pennies, I'm a teacher...so's the wife...I shoulda married a banker.
Spartan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 04:36 PM   #10
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan112 View Post
Again I'd have to save my pennies, I'm a teacher...so's the wife...I shoulda married a banker.
Yeah, well you're rich compared to me. I'm a grad student. I'd still argue that the Sarthe is worth the extra $400. Quality steel frames are disappearing!
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 04:59 PM   #11
mato_h2h
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I seem to have a problem with anything "Lemond". Doesn't the guy seem to be bitter towards any American rider that came after him? He has inserted himself into conflicts with Lance and Floyd when he really has no business to be there. I think he's jealous that, at least in Lance's case, these guys have stolen the spotlight away from him. Back in the 1980s, you'd ask the average American to name a cyclist and they'd all say "Lemond". Now? No one remembers him. Maybe he should just shut his mouth and build bikes and leave the petty stuff behind. Just accept that Lance is the ultimate American cyclist and Greg should just move on. Now.....if only Lance started building bikes!!!
mato_h2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 05:34 PM   #12
Spartan112
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woostah, MA
Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
Yeah, well you're rich compared to me. I'm a grad student. I'd still argue that the Sarthe is worth the extra $400. Quality steel frames are disappearing!
I had more spare money as a grad student than I do now.
Spartan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 08:07 PM   #13
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mato_h2h View Post
I seem to have a problem with anything "Lemond". Doesn't the guy seem to be bitter towards any American rider that came after him? He has inserted himself into conflicts with Lance and Floyd when he really has no business to be there. I think he's jealous that, at least in Lance's case, these guys have stolen the spotlight away from him. Back in the 1980s, you'd ask the average American to name a cyclist and they'd all say "Lemond". Now? No one remembers him. Maybe he should just shut his mouth and build bikes and leave the petty stuff behind. Just accept that Lance is the ultimate American cyclist and Greg should just move on. Now.....if only Lance started building bikes!!!
I met Lemond, he's not a bad guy, not a saint either. He's pissed that his sport is dominated by doping. I would be too. It's reasonable to be suspicious these days.

As for the bikes, well they're now owned by trek and he doesn't have much to do with them anymore.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 08:08 PM   #14
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan112 View Post
I had more spare money as a grad student than I do now.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-07, 09:23 PM   #15
Spartan112
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Woostah, MA
Bikes: 1982 Peugeot PH10
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
Gotta pay back those loans at some point, right? Here's guessing you're going into a slightly more lucrative profession.
Spartan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 08:51 AM   #16
markm109
Senior Member
 
markm109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SE Michigan
Bikes: '03 Litespeed Blue Ridge; '04 Litespeed Solarno; '12 VooDoo Nakasi
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You guys got to watch eBay. I just picked up a new 2004 Litespeed Solano that was sitting in a bikeshop for $1,175. The bike is new, maybe test ridden 50 miles. I had to replace the wheels because they were low spoke count and after two rides were already slightly out of true, but I knew that going in. I put on Mavic CPX22 with 32 count spokes and Ultegra hubs. The 32 count CPX21 on my 1998 Lemond Alpe D'Huez never needed any adjustment, unlike the Open Pro's on my Litespeed Blue Ridge. The '04 Solano is a '03 Tuscany - the '04 Tuscany was redesigned. Full Ultegra build. Full Ti frame. Excellent bike for about 1/3 the list price. I love the ride - better than the steel 525 Lemond, but that was a '98 after all. What can I say, I like the feel of Ti.

'04 Litespeed Solano (go fast days)
'03 Litespeed Blue Ridge (go long days)
'06 Specialized FSR XC Pro (go up and down days)
markm109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 02:55 PM   #17
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!
 
v1k1ng1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States of Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan112 View Post
Gotta pay back those loans at some point, right? Here's guessing you're going into a slightly more lucrative profession.
No, I'm studying philosophy which is not exactly lucrative but I've been funded through all my degrees so I have no loans at present.
__________________
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 08:27 AM   #18
bkriete
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Western Mass
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thrilled with my Surly Cross-Check. You should be able to get one nicely fitted with a triple and STI shifters for around $1200.
bkriete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-07, 03:36 PM   #19
Vespa
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
+1 on the Cross Check.

I have mine set-up with Campy Mirage groupset - compact double- but a triple is easy as well.

Goes like snot. Takes a beating. Cleans up nice.
Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 09:51 AM   #20
rickyaustin
I Design Stuff
 
rickyaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update on the Tourmalet::

For 2008 they went to Tiagra w/105 r/d... for the same price.

It got "Trek-ized"

Trek is downgrading their components on many of their entry level road bikes and leaving the price the same, so find a 2007 Tourmalet if you're wanting one.

I want a 2007 61cm - and they are sold out everywhere. I wouldn't waste my money on a 2008 Tourmalet

I'd go Kona Zing (Shimano 105 w/ Ultegra r/d, Mavic Aksium wheelset $1199 http://konaworld.com/08_zing.htm ) for the price instead of a 2008 Tourmalet
rickyaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 10:10 AM   #21
BrooklynRoadie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2007 Fisher Nirvana Hybrid
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can get a Specialized Elite for around 800, my buddy has one and its been very good to him.

BrooklynRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 04:32 PM   #22
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyaustin View Post
Update on the Tourmalet::

For 2008 they went to Tiagra w/105 r/d... for the same price.

It got "Trek-ized"

Trek is downgrading their components on many of their entry level road bikes and leaving the price the same, so find a 2007 Tourmalet if you're wanting one.

I want a 2007 61cm - and they are sold out everywhere. I wouldn't waste my money on a 2008 Tourmalet

I'd go Kona Zing (Shimano 105 w/ Ultegra r/d, Mavic Aksium wheelset $1199 http://konaworld.com/08_zing.htm ) for the price instead of a 2008 Tourmalet

That make not be the bicycle makers fault, many bicycle components are imported, in most cases lower end bikes, are entirely imported, most Americans don't realise it, but the US dollar isn't doing so well on the currency markets right now. A Year ago US$ 1.25 bought €1.00, today it takes $1.42 to buy the same €1.00, effectively a 12% drop. If the foreign supplier works in Euros, the the bicycle manufacturer in the US has several choices:

1) Use 12% cheaper components.
2) Increase prices by 12%
3) Eat the cost from their profits
4) some combination of 1,2 & 3
5) Contracted over a year ago, to buy components long term in US$
6) Bought a ship load of components last year and will use those older components for several years.

I would suspect that few companies are in position to take advantage of option 5 or 6, option 3 isn't popular with share holders, option 2 isn't popular with customers. This is the big problem with the global marketplace, when your currency goes down, you need to deal with it.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 11:20 PM   #23
rickyaustin
I Design Stuff
 
rickyaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Bikes:
Posts: 341
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
That make not be the bicycle makers fault, many bicycle components are imported, in most cases lower end bikes, are entirely imported, most Americans don't realise it, but the US dollar isn't doing so well on the currency markets right now. A Year ago US$ 1.25 bought €1.00, today it takes $1.42 to buy the same €1.00, effectively a 12% drop. If the foreign supplier works in Euros, the the bicycle manufacturer in the US has several choices:

1) Use 12% cheaper components.
2) Increase prices by 12%
3) Eat the cost from their profits
4) some combination of 1,2 & 3
5) Contracted over a year ago, to buy components long term in US$
6) Bought a ship load of components last year and will use those older components for several years.

I would suspect that few companies are in position to take advantage of option 5 or 6, option 3 isn't popular with share holders, option 2 isn't popular with customers. This is the big problem with the global marketplace, when your currency goes down, you need to deal with it.
I understand that, and thank you for the clear explanation.

Unfortunately for Trek, that won't make me buy their product anymore than before. Some other companies, like the Kona example, are delivering better values. They better figure something out... because I went from excited to throw money at them, to considering other options.
rickyaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 07:06 PM   #24
BigBlueToe
Senior Member
 
BigBlueToe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
Posts: 3,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would think you could get a very respectable bike for $1200. I wish I had that much to spend again. I spent about that much building up a Surly LHT this past summer. I love to tour, and it made more sense for me to have a tourer that I could ride on weekends and on centuries, rather than buy a lightweight and try to take it on tour. If I had the money I'd like to have both.

I would think for that you'll be able to get a nice aluminum bike with a carbon fork and carbon seatstays. I like having a triple myself (although I'm a tourer so I really need it.) In casual riding I don't use the granny gear much, but when it's the first ride after a layoff of a few months and there's a steep hill, I'm happy to have it!

Good luck!

(From a fellow 215 lb. teacher. I paid off my student loans years ago and am reaching the bottom of my district's pay ladder, but I have a daughter at a private college out of state, and a son who'll enter college next year. I won't be retiring anytime soon! Thank goodness traveling by bicycle is cheap!)
BigBlueToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 07:11 PM   #25
mtnbk3000
Senior Member
 
mtnbk3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
By all means! A new bike is in order The correct number of bikes for you to own is
n= The number of bikes you currently own
Y= the perfect number of bikes for your stable

n+1=Y
if only you could take my calc class for me
mtnbk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:15 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION