Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Help me name my bike

Old 04-03-09, 08:28 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
natbla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 369

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me name my bike

I am not usually one for sentimentality when it comes to my toys and tools. but, I'm trying to break new ground and also want to build a better relationship with my newest toy/ bike. O I want to actually name the bike this time. I am very pleased with the way it turned out, so I see myself only doing upgrades to it (seat post, brakes, saddle, wheels) instead of wanting to do a wholesale swap like I have done in the past.

But I stink at naming anything. I just don't have a knack for it so please help me name my steed. In my short time with the bike it is a nimble, smooth, and snappy ride. I live in a hilly area and spend a good bit of time either swooping through many technical descents, or climbing up the steeper roads that are part of my daily ride.



Here again is the bike's data if that helps:

Frame: Iron Horse Excelsior Race size 54 - aluminum w/ carbon seat stays
Wheels: Reynolds Alta Race - aluminum 30mm deep rims w/ 20/24 spoke counts
Tires: Pro2Race (will be shifting to Conti GP4000 in near future
Drive train: Ultegra 10 speed shifters and derailleurs, 105 cable set
Cranks: Truvativ Elita Compact Crankset (36/50) with GXP Bottom Bracket
Cassette:11-28 SRAM 1070 cassette
Stem: Profile Hammer OS 90 mm
Handlebars: FSA Wing size 42
Brakes: Camby Veloce
Seat: Forte Pro RS1
Seatpost: Forte Precision seatpost
Pedals: Speedplay light action

Total weight 19.2 pounds
natbla is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 09:07 AM
  #2  
surfrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Do you ride it at night? With that black-&-white frame in a dark setting, the first thing that comes to mind is "Blade", the comic book vampire antihero that was turned into an action movie starring Wesely Snipes.
 
Old 04-03-09, 09:18 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 764
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snappy / Smooth / Nimble = Snooble
ilmooz is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 09:22 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
natbla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 369

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfrider
Do you ride it at night? With that black-&-white frame in a dark setting, the first thing that comes to mind is "Blade", the comic book vampire antihero that was turned into an action movie starring Wesely Snipes.
I don't generally ride at night as I'm not a fan of nighttime riding. Interesting way to take it name wise.
natbla is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 09:23 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
natbla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 369

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilmooz
Snappy / Smooth / Nimble = Snooble
Not a fan of this one.
natbla is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 09:29 AM
  #6  
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Posts: 6,165

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Black and white bike with red splashes looks sort of like an ice cream sundae. I say you name it Sundae Dreamin', and you use it to burn enough calories so that you can enjoy the occasional thing the bike is named after.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Originally Posted by colorider
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 10:33 AM
  #7  
Lone Star
 
Tex_Arcana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 561
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfrider
Do you ride it at night? With that black-&-white frame in a dark setting, the first thing that comes to mind is "Blade", the comic book vampire antihero that was turned into an action movie starring Wesely Snipes.
Hmm isn't Blade also known as The Day Walker? Bad name since it implies you may not be riding it during the day, but find yourself walking instead.

How about Harmony?

Last edited by Tex_Arcana; 04-03-09 at 10:52 AM.
Tex_Arcana is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 11:07 AM
  #8  
Downtown Spanky Brown
 
bautieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Enola, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,108

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about you name it after your highschool sweetheart.
bautieri is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 11:18 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
natbla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 369

Bikes: 2011 Chinese Carbon Road, 2012 Giant Talon 1 29er, 2018 Mongoose Salvo Supa

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
How about you name it after your highschool sweetheart.
That might not go over well with the wife.
natbla is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 11:28 AM
  #10  
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Posts: 11,758
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Iron Horse = "The General"
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 11:49 AM
  #11  
Downtown Spanky Brown
 
bautieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Enola, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,108

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by natbla
That might not go over well with the wife.

It would if it was her


How about "The White One"
bautieri is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 11:52 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sea Biscuit?

Ironhide....wait, that's a Transformer....

Bessy! The black and white makes it kinda look like a dairy cow......

Last edited by snowman40; 04-03-09 at 11:54 AM. Reason: I just had a thunderstorm blow through my mind....
snowman40 is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 12:26 PM
  #13  
crash 5
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mpls
Posts: 262

Bikes: 90s? serotta t-max, 09' planet x ti frame w/sram force, '10 Bianchi Volpe

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
george. i like george.

id name it bill, but my d&d character has a magical 10,000gp carbon fiber sword, with an snooty CF italian scabbard, that he calls bill.
grimace308 is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 12:27 PM
  #14  
RVH
Bob in the mountains
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just outside of Waterville Valley, NH
Posts: 96

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)

Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I've always been fond of "ThunderChicken"

Of course, I've always been weird like that with names... I named my dog "Stay" I keep yelling at him "Stay, come!" and he doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about.

And, I once named a dog "Kitty". A friend asked if I thought the dog would get confused and think he was a cat. I said to him "why, John, do you think you are toilet?"

Follow me for weird linguistic adventures...

Last edited by RVH; 04-03-09 at 12:30 PM.
RVH is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 02:13 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Bigboxeraf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 144

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9sl

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
King Pimp
Bigboxeraf is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 02:24 PM
  #16  
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 16,056

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
With the Iron Horse branding, it seems that a locomotive name might suit. Here's my suggestion:

The Flying Scotsman. This is a good double meanng, too, since "The Flying Scotsman" was a class of locomotive that was the flagship train for the LNER. The Scotsman being known for going non stop from London to Edinburgh on a regular run.

The second hidden meaning is related to Graham Obree, aka The Flying Scotsman, who was a world record holder for the World 1 hour distance record on a bicycle he built, himself.

Originally Posted by natbla
I am not usually one for sentimentality when it comes to my toys and tools. but, I'm trying to break new ground and also want to build a better relationship with my newest toy/ bike. O I want to actually name the bike this time. I am very pleased with the way it turned out, so I see myself only doing upgrades to it (seat post, brakes, saddle, wheels) instead of wanting to do a wholesale swap like I have done in the past.

But I stink at naming anything. I just don't have a knack for it so please help me name my steed. In my short time with the bike it is a nimble, smooth, and snappy ride. I live in a hilly area and spend a good bit of time either swooping through many technical descents, or climbing up the steeper roads that are part of my daily ride.



Here again is the bike's data if that helps:

Frame: Iron Horse Excelsior Race size 54 - aluminum w/ carbon seat stays
Wheels: Reynolds Alta Race - aluminum 30mm deep rims w/ 20/24 spoke counts
Tires: Pro2Race (will be shifting to Conti GP4000 in near future
Drive train: Ultegra 10 speed shifters and derailleurs, 105 cable set
Cranks: Truvativ Elita Compact Crankset (36/50) with GXP Bottom Bracket
Cassette:11-28 SRAM 1070 cassette
Stem: Profile Hammer OS 90 mm
Handlebars: FSA Wing size 42
Brakes: Camby Veloce
Seat: Forte Pro RS1
Seatpost: Forte Precision seatpost
Pedals: Speedplay light action

Total weight 19.2 pounds
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 02:37 PM
  #17  
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Posts: 6,165

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
WildFire
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Originally Posted by colorider
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 02:50 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
With the Iron Horse branding, it seems that a locomotive name might suit. Here's my suggestion:

The Flying Scotsman. This is a good double meanng, too, since "The Flying Scotsman" was a class of locomotive that was the flagship train for the LNER. The Scotsman being known for going non stop from London to Edinburgh on a regular run.

The second hidden meaning is related to Graham Obree, aka The Flying Scotsman, who was a world record holder for the World 1 hour distance record on a bicycle he built, himself.
In that case, wouldn't Super Chief be better? The Flying Scotsman brings images to mind of a guy in a kilt flowing in the breeze.....anybody have any Clorox?
snowman40 is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 03:04 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Posts: 524

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a Tonto's horse, a Pinto, I think SCOUT will fit.

Another simple name that popped into my head at first glance was CLIP.

Enjoy, it looks very nice!
bab2000 is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 03:40 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,931

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by natbla
I am not usually one for sentimentality when it comes to my toys and tools. but, I'm trying to break new ground and also want to build a better relationship with my newest toy/ bike. O I want to actually name the bike this time. I am very pleased with the way it turned out, so I see myself only doing upgrades to it (seat post, brakes, saddle, wheels) instead of wanting to do a wholesale swap like I have done in the past.

But I stink at naming anything. I just don't have a knack for it so please help me name my steed. In my short time with the bike it is a nimble, smooth, and snappy ride. I live in a hilly area and spend a good bit of time either swooping through many technical descents, or climbing up the steeper roads that are part of my daily ride.
First thing to decide, it the bike male or female, maybe pick a name from history, a favourite book, play, movie or band.
Wogster is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 04:03 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
IbikezLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 459
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the brand name and thought Excalibur
IbikezLA is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 04:28 PM
  #22  
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Posts: 16,056

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by snowman40
In that case, wouldn't Super Chief be better? The Flying Scotsman brings images to mind of a guy in a kilt flowing in the breeze.....anybody have any Clorox?
Read the linked Wiki, about The Flying Scotsman. He fought impossible odds, in form of resistance from the UCI to even try for the record on his bike. Graham Obree is one of my inspirations.
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 04:39 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Hill-Pumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
Posts: 834

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, but it looks fast, so call it SPEEDY...... by the way, nice looking bike
Hill-Pumper is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 04:40 PM
  #24  
member. heh.
 
lambo_vt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 1,631
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random

And name it whatever comes up. Might be long, but... oh well.
lambo_vt is offline  
Old 04-03-09, 04:56 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
snowman40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,173

Bikes: Fuji

Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lambo_vt
Go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random

And name it whatever comes up. Might be long, but... oh well.
I like that link..... I submit for approval another offering - Elaeocarpus pseudopaniculatus link

snowman40 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.