Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New bike decision

Old 10-01-09, 05:45 PM
  #1  
ECB1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Burlington, CT
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bike decision

I, am thinking about a new rode bike. I have a Specialized Rubaex elite with 800 miles on it and I hate it. I would like something made in the USA but I have been told that Cannondale will all be made in japan for 2010. Does anyone have any suggestions. I also posted this on the road bike forum with the skinnies. ECB1
ECB1 is offline  
Old 10-01-09, 08:10 PM
  #2  
Hill-Pumper
Senior Member
 
Hill-Pumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In Oregon looking for more hills to ride
Posts: 834

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess the big question is what material do you want it made of. Trek Modone Project One bikes are made here in the state if you like Carbon Fiber. Waterford and Co-Motion both do steel, and Seven Cycles does Ti bikes. The one thing that they have in common is that they are not cheap, but most offer a custom built bike. There are a lot more companies that I didn't mention, but they are out there if you want to do a little leg work.
Hill-Pumper is offline  
Old 10-01-09, 08:18 PM
  #3  
late
Senior Member
 
late's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 8,548
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8902 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 26 Posts
What is it that you hate? Do you want a more upright seating position? Or do you want it to be even racier?

Anyway, I do have a suggestion. There are plenty of American made bikes, I have one. I ride a Gunnar Sport. If you want something racier, try the Gunnar Roadie.
late is offline  
Old 10-01-09, 08:26 PM
  #4  
RatedZeroHero
foolishly delirious
 
RatedZeroHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Panhandle of NE
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SEVEN does steel/ Ti/ and carbon...hope to be scoring an AXIOM STEEL next year myself...

Independent Fabrication... lots of options... you will have to cough up some $$$
RatedZeroHero is offline  
Old 10-01-09, 09:00 PM
  #5  
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 19,896

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoah! Don't like the Roubaix? I 've heard nuttin' but good stuff about the bike and comfort.

Not sure where they are made but the Giants look sweet. Huge BB and headtube. Lots of high end bikes don't have a free replacement policy from what I've read. Some require a few hundred as a fee.

It would mean more to me to get a free replacement if it aint my fault that it fails, like my Lemond.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 10-01-09 at 09:06 PM.
Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 10-02-09, 07:03 PM
  #6  
ECB1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Burlington, CT
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike feels O K but everything keeps going out of adjustment and I am very fussy with my equipment. I have had the gears adjusted 2 times, I had to replace the rear wheel and now the crank set is making noise. I don't think an $1800.00 bike should be that way. I do like the raised front end but I wonder if it causes me to loose any speed. ECB1
ECB1 is offline  
Old 10-02-09, 07:26 PM
  #7  
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 19,896

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, those are the wrong reasons to dislike the bike. Cables sometimes stretch more than just 2 months like most free tuneup programs. Gina's bike took about a year to dial in just right. A minor adjustment here and there, maybe every other month. If you are unhappy, just replacing the cables may help a bunch, cheap fix.

Actually sounds like you need a new mechanic. Wheels are just about always replaced on stock bikes. Especialy as a heavyweight. WHen I bought my bikes, I alredy had plans to go with a more durable wheel. I had Dep V's built even before I bought my lst bike,

If yo udo your won maintenance, it's great.. Those annoying trips to the shop, gas and time consuming ar eliminated. It takes about 30 seconds to adjut the gears whileout on a ride.

Don't be fooled thinking tht a more expensive bike, American or not, is going to make these problems go away.

True story. My buddy has a $3000 DeRosa. Nice wheels and Ultegra equipped. He was having problems with the rear shifting while we were out on a ride. His bike kept skipping, very annoying. He stopped and wanted to head back. I asked why it was so bad. He had taken it in to the shop and asked. The guy at the shop said,"you have Ultegra, ,that's why we sell Dura Ace, it works better!"

I said BS! It took me about 30 seconds to dial in the rear derailleur and he had no problem with it for the next 3 years till he snapped the frame. (steel )

The upright postition, don't fall into the trap! It's not the bike! MY wife's bike is a Pilot (tall headtube) and she's made toast out of guys on bikes riding $5000 and up Time/ Madones/Tarmac/ racing machines!
Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 10-02-09, 07:33 PM
  #8  
geraldatwork
Senior Member
 
geraldatwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 767

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
IMO, those are the wrong reasons to dislike the bike. Cables sometimes stretch more than just 2 months like most free tuneup programs. Gina's bike took about a year to dial in just right. A minor adjustment here and there, maybe every other month. If you are unhappy, just replacing the cables may help a bunch, cheap fix.

Actually sounds like you need a new mechanic. Wheels are just about always replaced on stock bikes. Especialy as a heavyweight. WHen I bought my bikes, I alredy had plans to go with a more durable wheel. I had Dep V's built even before I bought my lst bike,

If yo udo your won maintenance, it's great.. Those annoying trips to the shop, gas and time consuming ar eliminated. It takes about 30 seconds to adjut the gears whileout on a ride.

Don't be fooled thinking tht a more expensive bike, American or not, is going to make these problems go away.

True story. My buddy has a $3000 DeRosa. Nice wheels and Ultegra equipped. He was having problems with the rear shifting while we were out on a ride. His bike kept skipping, very annoying. He stopped and wanted to head back. I asked why it was so bad. He had taken it in to the shop and asked. The guy at the shop said,"you have Ultegra, ,that's why we sell Dura Ace, it works better!"

I said BS! It took me about 30 seconds to dial in the rear derailleur and he had no problem with it for the next 3 years till he snapped the frame. (steel )

The upright postition, don't fall into the trap! It's not the bike! MY wife's bike is a Pilot (tall headtube) and she's made toast out of guys on bikes riding $5000 and up Time/ Madones/Tarmac/ racing machines!
Couldn't agree more.
geraldatwork is offline  
Old 10-02-09, 08:17 PM
  #9  
sstorkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,427

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECB1 View Post
The bike feels O K but everything keeps going out of adjustment and I am very fussy with my equipment. I have had the gears adjusted 2 times, I had to replace the rear wheel and now the crank set is making noise. I don't think an $1800.00 bike should be that way. I do like the raised front end but I wonder if it causes me to loose any speed. ECB1
Sounds to me like you want a new mechanic or a refresher on bike maintenance, not a new bike. If you don't like the Roubaix Elite, I can't think of a road bike that you will like...
sstorkel is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 07:02 AM
  #10  
ECB1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Burlington, CT
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys, I think I will give it a little more time and learn to work on it myself as Beanz suggested, my wife will kill me for dropping more money on a new bike. ECB1
ECB1 is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 08:39 AM
  #11  
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 19,896

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, my Lemond came with a stock Bontrager crank. At about 8,000 miles, it started creaking, few thousand more, the BB needed to be replaced. About 1,000 after the BB was replaced, creaked some more. All work done by shop guys cause I don't have a BB tool.

I got tired of it knowing I would someday upgrade anyways. I had it R&R'd by a buddy (excellent mechanic). He said there was nothing wrong with the BB , only that the previous mechanic did a lousy job. One side was torqued bigtime and the other was loose.

Well I picked up an Ultegra (outboard bearing set up) on an online store on ebay (whelandsprocket). I got a new Ultergra crank BB INCLUDED for $139. No bidding, just buy it on online stores. It would have cost a bunch more at the LBS as I would have had to buy the BB separate.

Makes a world of diffeence, stiffer, NO CREAKING and smmoth and quiet. Try that route if youhave a stock crankset. Which aren't usually too good to start with!...$150 is much better than $2500 and your wife will still love ya!
Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 09:22 AM
  #12  
gypz
Senior Member
 
gypz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fontana Ca
Posts: 157

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
BTW, my Lemond came with a stock Bontrager crank. At about 8,000 miles, it started creaking, few thousand more, the BB needed to be replaced. About 1,000 after the BB was replaced, creaked some more. All work done by shop guys cause I don't have a BB tool.

I got tired of it knowing I would someday upgrade anyways. I had it R&R'd by a buddy (excellent mechanic). He said there was nothing wrong with the BB , only that the previous mechanic did a lousy job. One side was torqued bigtime and the other was loose.

Well I picked up an Ultegra (outboard bearing set up) on an online store on ebay (whelandsprocket). I got a new Ultergra crank BB INCLUDED for $139. No bidding, just buy it on online stores. It would have cost a bunch more at the LBS as I would have had to buy the BB separate.

Makes a world of diffeence, stiffer, NO CREAKING and smmoth and quiet. Try that route if youhave a stock crankset. Which aren't usually too good to start with!...$150 is much better than $2500 and your wife will still love ya!
gypz is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 08:49 PM
  #13  
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 19,896

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhhh GYPZ!!!! We rode together last week. This guy is a strong MOFO!


Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 08:53 PM
  #14  
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 19,896

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's a BAD MOFO!

Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 08:57 PM
  #15  
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Posts: 19,896

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And he rides Specialized!...Great motivational success story for the Clydes but it's his story to tell. Maybe he will start a success thread about it!


Mr. Beanz is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 09:23 PM
  #16  
AiredaleII
Senior Member
 
AiredaleII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lakes Region of NH
Posts: 99

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECB1 View Post
I would like something made in the USA but I have been told that Cannondale will all be made in japan for 2010. DECB1
Made in Japan is wishful thinking. Cannondale bikes for 2010 will be produced in Taiwan.
AiredaleII is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 10:00 PM
  #17  
gypz
Senior Member
 
gypz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fontana Ca
Posts: 157

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gypz at 301 in 2004
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1919671338_125a7e78f3_m.jpg (17.2 KB, 8 views)
gypz is offline  
Old 10-03-09, 10:16 PM
  #18  
gypz
Senior Member
 
gypz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fontana Ca
Posts: 157

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECB1 View Post
The bike feels O K but everything keeps going out of adjustment and I am very fussy with my equipment. I have had the gears adjusted 2 times, I had to replace the rear wheel and now the crank set is making noise. I don't think an $1800.00 bike should be that way. I do like the raised front end but I wonder if it causes me to loose any speed. ECB1

My bike snap crackled and popped for about the first 1000 miles. i took the bike apart, re assembled it, torqued everything to spec, this is important on Carbon Fiber bikes. no more noise, cables are finally stretched out and settled in, both derailleurs dialed in. spokes on both wheels retensioned.no more flats since i put gatorskins on it.
gypz is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
zjrog
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
328
08-04-14 11:54 PM
Paniolo
Road Cycling
3
04-30-08 12:00 PM
lsits
Southern California
2
03-12-07 08:12 PM
Dead Roman
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
25
09-26-06 06:09 AM
KrisPistofferson
Advocacy & Safety
3
01-26-05 06:45 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.