Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Recumbent bike for 500lbs?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Recumbent bike for 500lbs?

Old 04-27-10, 02:44 AM
  #1  
windstorm
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent bike for 500lbs?

My husband has a love of roller blading and he is going to order his new skates to get back into it and get back into shape. I myself hate skating (and honestly I think it would be a bad choice for me to try at this weight) but I've always loved biking. In the coming months at some point I'm going to have the gastric bypass, but in the meantime I would like to find a recumbent bike that can support me at nearly 500lbs. This is probably a lot to ask for. I have looked at the PAV but I was hoping to find something that might hold me and be able to go the distance as I lose the weight and will inevitably want to go faster and farther. Is there such a bike? I'm not going to say there is a price limit, because when it comes to health I don't think such a thing should exist, but I'm trying to stick to around $1000. Don't hesitate to point me in the right direction if there is a bike that exists and is more expensive though, I need all the help I can get with this.

Thank you ahead of time.
windstorm is offline  
Old 04-27-10, 05:45 AM
  #2  
rdmjr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 181

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about recumbent bikes, but I've got a Sun EZ-Tad SX recumbent trike that's held up with me (peak wt was about 450) plus 20-25 lbs of added gear (tubes, lights, tools, pump, etc.). Sun's web site (www.sunbicycles.com) lists the weight limit at 300 pounds, but at my LBS they told me the only thing they had any concern about was the wheeels, and they've held up just fine. One thing I found while trying to find a current price is that apparently Sun's redesigned the steering since I got mine; bicycleman.com says it's so bad they won't stock it until Sun fixes the problems with it, and that it's unsafe over 10-15 mph. Mine's got the older, indirect steering and felt fine at 30+ mph. Maybe you could find a 2007 or older model on Craigslist or eBay?
- Bob
rdmjr is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 09:30 AM
  #3  
MacWildstar
Junior Member
 
MacWildstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: G.R., MI
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by windstorm View Post
My husband has a love of roller blading and he is going to order his new skates to get back into it and get back into shape. I myself hate skating (and honestly I think it would be a bad choice for me to try at this weight) but I've always loved biking. In the coming months at some point I'm going to have the gastric bypass, but in the meantime I would like to find a recumbent bike that can support me at nearly 500lbs. This is probably a lot to ask for. I have looked at the PAV but I was hoping to find something that might hold me and be able to go the distance as I lose the weight and will inevitably want to go faster and farther. Is there such a bike? I'm not going to say there is a price limit, because when it comes to health I don't think such a thing should exist, but I'm trying to stick to around $1000. Don't hesitate to point me in the right direction if there is a bike that exists and is more expensive though, I need all the help I can get with this.

Thank you ahead of time.
Right now the one TRIKE that I know that will hold over 300 lbs is the Terra Trike Rover. as for bikes, not sure. even the SUN bikes can handle higher weights, if ya got a smooth road to ride on, which around here, is not a possibility.
MacWildstar is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 09:55 AM
  #4  
kc0bbq
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,114

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MacWildstar View Post
Right now the one TRIKE that I know that will hold over 300 lbs is the Terra Trike Rover. as for bikes, not sure. even the SUN bikes can handle higher weights, if ya got a smooth road to ride on, which around here, is not a possibility.
Yeah, the Rover has a listed weight limit of 400, and the MSRP on the lowest spec model is $999.
kc0bbq is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 10:04 AM
  #5  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 30,975

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This in the only one for you.

With the electric assist for hills.

PAV3STR-3CB
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 11:00 AM
  #6  
MacWildstar
Junior Member
 
MacWildstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: G.R., MI
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq View Post
Yeah, the Rover has a listed weight limit of 400, and the MSRP on the lowest spec model is $999.
You can do 450 on it.

Sticker shock is a big thing for people looking at getting a good recumbent trike.

We don't have much choice here. Its either that or find yourself a good handyman who is good with welding and build one for yourself. Im 350 and ride a Rover - for now.. dropping weight steadily.
MacWildstar is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 12:25 PM
  #7  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,333

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
If you're not determined to get a trike/recumbent, zize bikes makes bikes specifically designed for larger riders.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 01:54 PM
  #8  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,722

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 220 Posts
don't know the specs but a buddy of mine who tides a recumbent trike has a catrike. He loves it, had a medical issue with regular bike seats and move to these. It rolls really nice but looks like its built like a tank...fun to ride on when he lets me


Not sure of the price though...
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 02:13 PM
  #9  
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.
 
jethro56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mattoon,Ill
Posts: 2,023

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 years for an answer?
jethro56 is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 05:36 PM
  #10  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,333

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
6 years for an answer?
DAMMIT!

TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 05:38 PM
  #11  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 30,975

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
DAMMIT!

You might just scare the OP.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 08-11-16, 05:48 PM
  #12  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,333

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
You might just scare the OP.
1 post total in 6 years - I think she's safe.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
PhatTrike
Fitting Your Bike
4
04-22-19 11:07 AM
MacWildstar
Recumbent
7
12-29-15 02:31 PM
Alghurabim
Recumbent
9
09-04-15 05:37 PM
minicoopers05
Recumbent
10
12-11-13 07:02 PM
aricall
Recumbent
3
08-16-10 11:14 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.