Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Full suspension and being a Clyde?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Full suspension and being a Clyde?

Old 03-21-11, 12:02 PM
  #1  
Zeusmeatball
Thread Starter
 
Push's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 259

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Full suspension and being a Clyde?

So I found a bicycle on Craigslist that looked interesting and it happened to be my size so I took a look at it and came home with a new toy It is a 2001 Giant Cypress lx full suspension hybrid. The frame is 4130 Cro-moly and the rear shock is a DNM DV22 with a 900lb spring, manufacturer recommends an 1100lb spring for heavier riders which I am looking into but my question is do any of you larger stature fellas or ladies ride on a full suspension bike? is a full suspension bike a no no for a 300 pound fella or as long as the correct shock is used its good to go?

I took it for a short spin and it felt good other than the suspension feeling odd compared to my mountain bike which only has a suspension fork.

What say you? oh and here is a pic of the new acquisition





As Ever
Me
Push is offline  
Old 03-21-11, 12:19 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
What kind of riding are you going to do with it? Between having a full suspension, and being made from steel, it's going to weigh as much as a smart car! But it looks like it might be fun on a trail.

I test rode a full suspension bike once, while the shop was fixing something on mine, and I couldn't get used to how squishy it felt. But I'm a road bike kind of guy, so take that with a grain of salt.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 03-21-11, 12:39 PM
  #3  
Zeusmeatball
Thread Starter
 
Push's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 259

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
What kind of riding are you going to do with it? Between having a full suspension, and being made from steel, it's going to weigh as much as a smart car! But it looks like it might be fun on a trail.

I test rode a full suspension bike once, while the shop was fixing something on mine, and I couldn't get used to how squishy it felt. But I'm a road bike kind of guy, so take that with a grain of salt.
Its heavy alright! 35.8 lbs as it sits in the picture (got on my scale with and then without it ) I typically ride on a rail trail with my mountain bike, sometimes I ride around the neighborhood which is hilly rural roads but I would say that 90% of the time its a couple mile ride on those roads leading to the rail trail followed by 10 to 20 miles worth of the trail. that "squishy" feeling is what I was talking about when I said that it felt odd and I don't know if I will get use to it but it was priced good, my size and something completely different from my other bikes so I grabbed it up I just wonder how sturdy these full suspension bikes are for us more stout riders, it seems sturdy enough but isn't like anything that I currently own/ride so I am weary of taking it out on a full out ride down the trail.
Push is offline  
Old 03-21-11, 01:12 PM
  #4  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont think sturdy is as much of an issue as suspensions bottoming out and being too squishy to get power to the ground. if you ride on paved roads that are in good shape it seems like it would be overkill. if you ride on bumpy , potholed roads, it could make for a very comfy ride.
motobecane69 is offline  
Old 03-21-11, 05:34 PM
  #5  
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Full suspension and being a heavy Clyde (i.e. over 300 lbs) is just a wreck looking for a place to happen in my book.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline  
Old 03-21-11, 05:55 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,428

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Push
Its heavy alright! 35.8 lbs as it sits in the picture (got on my scale with and then without it ) I typically ride on a rail trail with my mountain bike, sometimes I ride around the neighborhood which is hilly rural roads but I would say that 90% of the time its a couple mile ride on those roads leading to the rail trail followed by 10 to 20 miles worth of the trail. that "squishy" feeling is what I was talking about when I said that it felt odd and I don't know if I will get use to it but it was priced good, my size and something completely different from my other bikes so I grabbed it up I just wonder how sturdy these full suspension bikes are for us more stout riders, it seems sturdy enough but isn't like anything that I currently own/ride so I am weary of taking it out on a full out ride down the trail.
For the types of terrain you're describing, I probably wouldn't ride a full-suspension bike.

I own a high-end full-suspension bike. It has a good lock-out on both the front and rear suspension and I have it engaged the majority of the time I'm on the bike; it's really the only way to get power to the ground rather than just pogo-sticking up and down. Only when the trails get very bumpy, or point downhill, do I make the suspension fully-active.

That said, for the types of terrain you're describing I don't think you're likely to break the bike or the suspension. You do want to use an appropriate mechanical spring or set the air pressure properly if you're using an air spring. Measure and set the "sag" appropriately, so you're not bottoming the suspension while traversing obstacles and you should be OK. Air springs run at high pressure may need to be rebuilt occasionally.
sstorkel is offline  
Old 03-21-11, 05:58 PM
  #7  
Watching and waiting.
 
jethro56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mattoon,Ill
Posts: 2,023

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want one.
jethro56 is offline  
Old 03-22-11, 03:42 AM
  #8  
aka Josh
 
gjosuem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: LBC to the AV, SoCal
Posts: 64

Bikes: Nashbar Hybrid, Scott CR1, Specialized Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A full suspension will rob you of your energy and power transfer, but I say if you are enjoying what your'e doing, you will continue to do it and that is the secret to success. keep pedaling . . .
gjosuem is offline  
Old 03-22-11, 06:33 AM
  #9  
Zeusmeatball
Thread Starter
 
Push's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 259

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Full suspension and being a heavy Clyde (i.e. over 300 lbs) is just a wreck looking for a place to happen in my book.
Could you elaborate? I really know nothing about a full suspension bike and the way I feel about things is simple is better and this bike is less simple than my hard tail MTB so other than its just more moving parts what makes it a wreck waiting to happen?

Originally Posted by jethro56
I want one.
That's how I felt when I saw it!

Originally Posted by gjosuem
A full suspension will rob you of your energy and power transfer, but I say if you are enjoying what your'e doing, you will continue to do it and that is the secret to success. keep pedaling . . .
I ride my K2 mountain bike when I want to get a workout in but I actually own multiple bicycles and tool around the neighborhood on all of them just for kicks, I don't think that I will ride this one for long distances (or what I consider long distances anyways ) its more of a "something different" kind of bike for me unless it turns out that I end up feeling comfy riding it then I may extend the range of the rides, I am more just worried about if it will be safe at my weight or if I should wait until a few more peels off of my bones

Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

As Ever
Me
Push is offline  
Old 03-22-11, 06:56 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,937

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Push
So I found a bicycle on Craigslist that looked interesting and it happened to be my size so I took a look at it and came home with a new toy It is a 2001 Giant Cypress lx full suspension hybrid. The frame is 4130 Cro-moly and the rear shock is a DNM DV22 with a 900lb spring, manufacturer recommends an 1100lb spring for heavier riders which I am looking into but my question is do any of you larger stature fellas or ladies ride on a full suspension bike? is a full suspension bike a no no for a 300 pound fella or as long as the correct shock is used its good to go?

I took it for a short spin and it felt good other than the suspension feeling odd compared to my mountain bike which only has a suspension fork.

What say you? oh and here is a pic of the new acquisition





As Ever
Me
I don't know if I could trust a bicycle where the seat post is not connected to the bottom bracket.... Generally though unless the terrain is very rough (mountain bikers call it technical), you don't need a full suspension. Unless you ride dirt you don't need front suspension either.
Wogster is offline  
Old 03-22-11, 02:43 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 2,896

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think full suspension would work better on a mountain bike tackling trails.

On hybrids mainly riding roads and MUP's the pogo effect would really bother me. However if you enjoy riding it don't let anybody dissuade you from enjoying it.
exile is offline  
Old 03-22-11, 09:00 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Profgumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Menominee MI
Posts: 158

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Giant Trance 2, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2011 Schwinn LeTour Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a bit leery of the suspension type on the bike you list as those tend to experience more pedal bob and you loose too much energy hammering the bike into the ground. I know a heavier spring may solve that issue though. Did you experience any pedal bob/bounce while riding that bike?

As to my riding preference, I'm currently selling my full suspension mountain bike. (in the classifieds here actually) Not because of any issues with the suspension, but that I simply like hard tails better. I do not have any issue with pedal bounce and I generally have the rear shock at it's stiffest. This bike was not the bike I went in to purchase but the price was right. So I tried it. Couple that with the bike is the most expensive I have ever owned and the least ridden. I can sell this bike to a rider who wants it and pay off my new road bike AND buy a new hard tail. Makes too much sense to me to keep it.

I also prefer a rigid fork too, but not on a mountain bike. I have one commuter/urban lifestyle type bike that has a front shock fork and that took some getting used to for me. I prefer the typical road bike type setup for riding roads and feel suspension is overkill. Front suspension is nice, but not necessary, even on the bumpy roads around here!
Profgumby is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 06:11 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Saltybeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 211

Bikes: Cannondale H300, Tommasini Velocista, Jamis Xenith Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great bike, ride it in the appropriate places for its use
Saltybeagle is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 09:43 PM
  #14  
The Fred Menace!
 
RI_Swamp_Yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have and Electra Townie 21D. It came with the lamest sprung fork ever - it just sucked out the power from my hill climbs like Daniel Day Lewis with a milkshake. Electra sold me a replacement threaded fixed for for an unreasonable sum - that didn't fit. I found out after I painted it to match the frame.

So! I swapped the threaded headset for a sealed-bearing threadless headset (and just in time, as the ball bearings of the old headset were beginning to rust heavily), and slapped in a suspension-corrected fixed fork, and adjustable riser-stem.

The difference was day and night. The new setup climbed hills like a billygoat, and rocketed along paved straights like a racebike.

That said, if I was going offroad, a full suspension bike is where I'd want to be, and that Giant looks like a darn nice one.
RI_Swamp_Yankee is offline  
Old 03-23-11, 10:08 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
funrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,269

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my FS bikes, I have 2. That being said I also love technical,rocky, and rougher terrain rides. There are many different styles, give a few of them a try. Personally I do not like that style, but if you do I say go for it, you are the one in the saddle, shouldn't you be the one that determines what comfort you want?
funrover is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Bravin Neff
Hybrid Bicycles
57
08-23-23 05:39 PM
ErickJames
General Cycling Discussion
3
10-11-17 07:53 AM
JRCurzon
Mountain Biking
155
01-17-16 03:30 PM
vermilionx
Mountain Biking
3
09-14-12 09:46 PM
3speed
Mountain Biking
16
05-25-12 01:11 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.