Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Looking for Tall Waterproof Cycling Jacket

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Looking for Tall Waterproof Cycling Jacket

Old 05-01-12, 07:09 PM
  #1  
Tall Cool One
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tall Cool One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for Tall Waterproof Cycling Jacket

I'm looking for an all purpose cycling jacket that is water proof and that is versatile enough to wear between 30 degrees (with base layers) up to 60 or so degrees. I would prefer it to be as "unbulky" as possible.

I am 6' 7" with 38" sleeve length and I just can't have my precious wrists exposed to the harsh elements. I am thinking about pursuing a career as a wrist model (just kidding).

Anyone have any personal experience with such a jacket?

Last edited by Tall Cool One; 05-01-12 at 07:14 PM.
Tall Cool One is offline  
Old 05-01-12, 07:35 PM
  #2  
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Posts: 3,119

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a particular jacket in mind but.... I would say get the jacket that is waterproof and worry about taking care of the cold with layers of other clothing. That allows you to use it in any temperature. Also, you can protect your precious wrists with things that just cover your wrists and have a loop that goes over your thumb to keep it in place. That helps cover the gap from the end of the sleeve to whatever it is you may be wearing on your hands, which are apparently not as precious.

I'll find examples here in a bit.
WonderMonkey is offline  
Old 05-01-12, 07:41 PM
  #3  
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Posts: 3,119

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something like the below but not the below. You want something that can handle the rain and cold and sweating. Wool comes to mind.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
p340210b.jpg (54.4 KB, 89 views)
WonderMonkey is offline  
Old 05-01-12, 08:06 PM
  #4  
AlphaGeek
Just Follow Your Feet!
 
AlphaGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 515

Bikes: Volae Expedition, ActionBent Tidal Wave II, Nishiki Olympic, Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Showers Pass. Awesome jacket that runs long, I have been using their jacket for 5 years and it is literally wind and rain proof. Excellent gear.
AlphaGeek is offline  
Old 05-01-12, 08:11 PM
  #5  
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an aero tech tall cycling windbreaker. It's "ok". It's too flappy for me but as far as the tall part I think it would have you covered. I am 6'5" and it's plenty tall for me.

Its not extremely pack able.

I know you wanted waterproof and I am not sure this jacket is, but thought I would post this for fit reference...see if they have a totally waterproof one.

I would say this one would work for light rain or showers, but would wet through in probably 15-30 minutes.
vesteroid is offline  
Old 05-01-12, 08:20 PM
  #6  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,264

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
I have a performance bike windbreaker made from something called "illuminite" that lights up like a beacon when headlights hit it. It's also completely waterproof and breathes like a hefty bag (which is to say, not at all). It's great in cooler weather or when I actually ride in the rain. They probably don't even make anything that unbreathable anymore.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 05-01-12, 10:20 PM
  #7  
mtalinm
Senior Member
 
mtalinm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Westwood MA (just south of Boston)
Posts: 2,215

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaGeek View Post
Check out Showers Pass. Awesome jacket that runs long, I have been using their jacket for 5 years and it is literally wind and rain proof. Excellent gear.
totally agree. I have a showers pass jacket and it is remarkable. pit zips and a vent in the back keep you cool, and the thing is completely waterproof. I got rained on all 31 miles of commuting today but stayed super dry
mtalinm is offline  
Old 05-02-12, 08:49 AM
  #8  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,870
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9476 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Tall Cool One View Post
I'm looking for an all purpose cycling jacket that is water proof and that is versatile enough to wear between 30 degrees (with base layers) up to 60 or so degrees.
What you need is a better layering system, not a magical jacket.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-02-12, 09:13 AM
  #9  
Tall Cool One
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tall Cool One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
What you need is a better layering system, not a magical jacket.
I'm simply looking for the water proof layer that can be worn at any sub summer time temp.
Tall Cool One is offline  
Old 05-02-12, 09:27 AM
  #10  
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.
 
jethro56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mattoon,Ill
Posts: 2,023

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 37" sleeve length I bought this. http://www.jensonusa.com/Jackets-and...ng-Rain-Jacket in an XXL . Its baggy but at least the arms are long enough.In fact the 36" claim seems very understated. Not the most breathable as I had a good sweat going on in 48 degree temps.

Last edited by jethro56; 05-02-12 at 09:31 AM.
jethro56 is offline  
Old 05-02-12, 10:44 AM
  #11  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,870
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9476 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Tall Cool One View Post
I'm simply looking for the water proof layer that can be worn at any sub summer time temp.
You won't be happy wearing anything waterproof over your core while you're doing aerobic exercise at 60 F. It would be great if we had waterproof fabrics that worked miraculously (the way some advertisements imply), but we don't.

The outer layer is the least important one in the group.

If you want to find out the hard way, here's a great cycling jacket for 35 degree (F) rain. It's got a long hemline so it'll cover your lower back while you lean forward; you can also sit on it while wearing the jacket if you hike in a downpour. You'll soak yourself on your own sweat if you ride this at anything but the slowest pace when it's 60 F out:



Here's one that's NOT waterproof, but is resistant. It's my go-to jacket on the bike. The outside is coated with DWR, so it'll keep me dry a while, but not indefinitely. I adjust my other layers to make it work. I'll start with a merino base layer, and add a cashmere insulation layer if it's below about 50 F. The wool tolerates being wet like nobody's business.



The difference is that this one ^ is actually comfortable at 60 F, with only a base layer underneath. Both are great at 30 F, with appropriate layers below.

I'm speaking from years of personal experience, and summarizing the collective knowledge of the hiking community - who also do aerobic exercise in changing weather.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 05-02-12, 11:38 AM
  #12  
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Posts: 6,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree for the most part with Seattle. Waterproof at higher temps (ofor me it was 50 degree or more) didnt work. I tried. Then when I got to work, I was sweating like a dog and it sucked.
chefisaac is offline  
Old 05-02-12, 06:02 PM
  #13  
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a significant mount of long distance hiking experience. Two really different thing really. I carry both a windbreaker with a dwr and a helium rain jacket. In light rain in warmer temps I will use the windbreaker and be fine.

However if it's 50 and heavy rain, there is no jacket that is going to keep you warm that's not waterproof.

Yes I know you sweat in the jacket, but that moisture quantity wise is small in comparison to direct rain, and it's body temp, not 50 degrees.

Andrew surka did over 5000 miles in Alaska unsupported. He was interviewed and asked what he was afraid of...he answered something along the lines of 32 degrees and rain.

Of course if you are talking about being able to get home in an hour, then jacket selection is not nearly as critical as when the nearest road is a days hike away.
vesteroid is offline  
Old 05-02-12, 06:36 PM
  #14  
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Posts: 3,119

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
You won't be happy wearing anything waterproof over your core while you're doing aerobic exercise at 60 F. It would be great if we had waterproof fabrics that worked miraculously (the way some advertisements imply), but we don't.

The outer layer is the least important one in the group.

If you want to find out the hard way, here's a great cycling jacket for 35 degree (F) rain. It's got a long hemline so it'll cover your lower back while you lean forward; you can also sit on it while wearing the jacket if you hike in a downpour. You'll soak yourself on your own sweat if you ride this at anything but the slowest pace when it's 60 F out:



Here's one that's NOT waterproof, but is resistant. It's my go-to jacket on the bike. The outside is coated with DWR, so it'll keep me dry a while, but not indefinitely. I adjust my other layers to make it work. I'll start with a merino base layer, and add a cashmere insulation layer if it's below about 50 F. The wool tolerates being wet like nobody's business.



The difference is that this one ^ is actually comfortable at 60 F, with only a base layer underneath. Both are great at 30 F, with appropriate layers below.

I'm speaking from years of personal experience, and summarizing the collective knowledge of the hiking community - who also do aerobic exercise in changing weather.

Agree all the way. When I kayak I go for waterproof as I am not working up a sweat. When I hike I either layer like this or I use a poncho which allows more airflow yet still warms you up. Game time decision.
WonderMonkey is offline  
Old 05-02-12, 06:38 PM
  #15  
WonderMonkey
Senior Member
 
WonderMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vandalia OH
Posts: 3,119

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
I have a significant mount of long distance hiking experience. Two really different thing really. I carry both a windbreaker with a dwr and a helium rain jacket. In light rain in warmer temps I will use the windbreaker and be fine.

However if it's 50 and heavy rain, there is no jacket that is going to keep you warm that's not waterproof.

Yes I know you sweat in the jacket, but that moisture quantity wise is small in comparison to direct rain, and it's body temp, not 50 degrees.

Andrew surka did over 5000 miles in Alaska unsupported. He was interviewed and asked what he was afraid of...he answered something along the lines of 32 degrees and rain.

Of course if you are talking about being able to get home in an hour, then jacket selection is not nearly as critical as when the nearest road is a days hike away.
Agree with this as well. It's all a different game. Knowing the handful of situations and being able to anticipate them is key.
WonderMonkey is offline  
Old 10-25-18, 08:31 AM
  #16  
Harhir
Senior Member
 
Harhir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 398

Bikes: 94 Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 88 Gazelle Primeur, 00 Lightning Phantom, 99 and 01 bikeE, 9x Mongoose MTB and more to come.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Guys

I am pulling this thread up again. I am 6'4", 275 lbs with a tall upper body. I am looking for a breathable rain jacket I can wear above my other clothes. Currently I am wearing a Columbia 3XT rain jacket. It holds off water great but I am sweating a lot since this jacket does not breathe at all. There are no vents. I would't mind a little sweat but my t-shirts are always soaked.
Recently we had a lot of rain here in Texas. I am talking about several inches within very few days. When it rains here it pours. So something water repelling does not work. In addition the jacket needs to be long in the back and front since I am either riding very upright on European style Trekking/city bike or on a recumbent most of the time. Meaning jackets which are just longer in the back don't work for me either. I guess I have to look more into the hiking gear than cycling gear.
Harhir is offline  
Old 10-25-18, 11:37 AM
  #17  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 23,602

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3279 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
this has been on my wish list for a year. just can't justify the price especially since I don't ride that much

Pearl iZUMi Men's Versa Barrier Jacket
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 10-25-18, 12:39 PM
  #18  
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,876

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 29 Posts
few yrs ago I got a The North Face Venture jacket, designed for MTB, vents n all w/ hood that fits over helmets. They have TWO version, seems more Hiker now but comes in tall sizes
https://www.rei.com/product/112409/t...cket-mens-tall
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
corrado33
Commuting
33
04-04-17 09:08 AM
IARide4Fun
Road Cycling
17
04-17-15 08:19 PM
scarleton
Winter Cycling
30
01-28-15 10:34 PM
pwdeegan
General Cycling Discussion
23
10-18-10 05:54 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.