Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

225 lbs and the weight won't go away

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

225 lbs and the weight won't go away

Old 08-23-13, 09:59 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
225 lbs and the weight won't go away

I just came back from Fred Meyer with my test results. I am 65 years old. They have a machine to test there.
Blood Pressure 132/93 Hg Pulse 81
Weight 224.2 lbs
BMI 32.2
Body Fat 21.7%
Hydration Index -2.06

So my BMI is horrible but actual body fat at 21.7% doesn't make it easy to get under 200 lbs. I would be around 10 to 12% Fat. That is really hard to do at my age. If I had 25 lbs less to carry I could bike like a rocket though. I will have to become anorexic to get there. Longest day ride this year only 100 miles. Last year at 212 lbs longest day ride was 200 miles.
Highlander1 is offline  
Old 08-23-13, 11:12 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Highlander1
So my BMI is horrible but actual body fat at 21.7% doesn't make it easy to get under 200 lbs. I would be around 10 to 12% Fat. That is really hard to do at my age. If I had 25 lbs less to carry I could bike like a rocket though. I will have to become anorexic to get there. Longest day ride this year only 100 miles. Last year at 212 lbs longest day ride was 200 miles.
Have you discussed diet options with your doctor or some other (knowledgeable) person? By "diet" I mean specifically trying to zero in on "hidden" (sugar) contributors to body fat %. It may shave off a bit.
rteesdale is offline  
Old 08-23-13, 12:55 PM
  #3  
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
As a corollary, find one of those online food trackers (there are plenty of good ones that are free) and ID just how much you're eating & what it is you're eating.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-23-13, 01:08 PM
  #4  
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 33,255

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Highlander1
I just came back from Fred Meyer with my test results. I am 65 years old. They have a machine to test there.
Blood Pressure 132/93 Hg Pulse 81 Weight 224.2 lbs BMI 32.2 Body Fat 21.7% Hydration Index -2.06

So my BMI is horrible but actual body fat at 21.7% doesn't make it easy to get under 200 lbs. I would be around 10 to 12% Fat. That is really hard to do at my age. If I had 25 lbs less to carry I could bike like a rocket though. I will have to become anorexic to get there. Longest day ride this year only 100 miles. Last year at 212 lbs longest day ride was 200 miles.
How tall are you.

6ft here , 223 lbs,started riding when 65 y/o....11,200 mi first year, 15,923 2nd yr.

Dropped to 188 lbs.

now 71 y/o and 215 lbs
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 08-23-13, 04:04 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 58

Bikes: Recherché, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Highlander1
I just came back from Fred Meyer with my test results. I am 65 years old. They have a machine to test there.
Blood Pressure 132/93 Hg Pulse 81
Weight 224.2 lbs
BMI 32.2
Body Fat 21.7%
Hydration Index -2.06

So my BMI is horrible but actual body fat at 21.7% doesn't make it easy to get under 200 lbs. I would be around 10 to 12% Fat. That is really hard to do at my age. If I had 25 lbs less to carry I could bike like a rocket though. I will have to become anorexic to get there. Longest day ride this year only 100 miles. Last year at 212 lbs longest day ride was 200 miles.
How did you come up with the 21.7% body fat number? What is your waist (around belly button) and height measurements?
drorgo is offline  
Old 08-26-13, 02:36 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electronic measurements

Originally Posted by drorgo
How did you come up with the 21.7% body fat number? What is your waist (around belly button) and height measurements?
The electronic measurements take all factors into consideration, do you think Arnold Schwarzeneggar and John Goodman would have the same body fat at the same weight and height and age? Was Sylvester Stalone obese when he made Rocky? That is why BMI is a joke.
Highlander1 is offline  
Old 08-26-13, 03:30 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 58

Bikes: Recherché, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Highlander1
The electronic measurements take all factors into consideration, do you think Arnold Schwarzeneggar and John Goodman would have the same body fat at the same weight and height and age? Was Sylvester Stalone obese when he made Rocky? That is why BMI is a joke.
The percent body fat number from those machines is also a joke. Arnold has a much smaller waist than John Goodman, that is why asked you what your waist (around belly button, not necessarily pants size) and height were.
drorgo is offline  
Old 08-26-13, 08:51 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
kris7047th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE Mich.
Posts: 77

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a woman just a few years younger than you and have been on a diet and exercising the past three months. Losing weight at our age isn't enough as the body parts & *muscles* go south/gets soft as we get older. I have changed my diet and took up biking and I feel great .. lost 20 lbs @ 126 lbs currently with just 5-6 more to go. I am 5'5".

I don't pay attention to what machines and calculators tell me what I should be at. What matters to me is the weight that I KNOW I feel the best at and that becomes my target weight to work to.

Last edited by kris7047th; 08-26-13 at 09:04 PM.
kris7047th is offline  
Old 08-26-13, 09:20 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
JackoDandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW - USA
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me get this straight, your 225lbs and you are complaining that your longest ride this year was 'only' 100 miles?

I guess the grass always seems greener in the other guys yard but I'd say a 100 mile ride is pretty darn good. Probably much further than 70% of the clydes reading here
JackoDandy is offline  
Old 08-27-13, 10:34 PM
  #10  
Am I evil? I am Man!!!
 
Mr Sinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 100 mile ride... I personally have never done one. My longest ride is 91 miles. Now I want to get a 100 mile ride done before the years end. I also weigh about 10 pounds less and am about 19 years younger.
Mr Sinister is offline  
Old 08-28-13, 03:53 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NE oHIo
Posts: 1,075

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 45 Posts
I am finding out more and more about whats REALLY in our food and how it affects our bodies. I am NOT a "foodie" but much of my adult life has been in chemical research. I try NOT to ingest anyhting I work with, but have been finding out that I voluntarily ingest things I really shouldnt.

Many will tell you not to eat wheat products. I thought it was just a carbohydrate thing. I overlooked the fact that most of our wheat is genetically modified so it wont be killed by roundup herbicide. Blah blah blah, GMO...! Wait a minute! Its modified to be roundup resistant?! Soooo that means its being doused with roundup anyway, and since the plant LIVES we are eating roundup??!! When the plant dies it degrades and doesnt persist in the soil, but if the plant lives, it ends up in our bodies. Eeeek! There is more than that if you go looking. Look for better QUALITY food, and you will lose that weight. I think anyone that eats moderately and is active will stay a healthy weight easily.

Thats my theory. Now its time for ME to put it in practice. (This really is all new information to me!)

-SP
speedy25 is offline  
Old 08-28-13, 05:23 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
mr_pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
225, 5'11" and 22% body fat? That a lot of muscles!
mr_pedro is offline  
Old 08-28-13, 05:56 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,704

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
As a corollary, find one of those online food trackers (there are plenty of good ones that are free) and ID just how much you're eating & what it is you're eating.
+1 on this. I dropped 150 lbs by simply setting reasonable goals and logging my foods and workouts. FWIW, Map My Ride has built in food logging, so it's a pretty easy way to track both calories burned and calories consumed.
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  
Old 08-28-13, 10:36 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
ChargerDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 232

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I had my one wish, I would create a better BMI calculator that would be a better measure of a persons level of fitness.

I can do it, it would just take about 10K volunteers.
ChargerDawg is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 01:53 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,771
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
BMI is not meant to have anything to do with fitness.
Rowan is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 01:43 PM
  #16  
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,715

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
As a corollary, find one of those online food trackers (there are plenty of good ones that are free) and ID just how much you're eating & what it is you're eating.
I just started with MyFitnessPal (just started a thread on it), and so far it seems to be working well for me.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 01:47 PM
  #17  
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,715

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
BMI is not meant to have anything to do with fitness.
Yes it does. There is a pretty decent correlation between fitness and BMI. It's not a 100% indicator and can be corrupted by build (musculature, etc.), but for someone with a non-athletic build, it's not bad.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 01:48 PM
  #18  
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,715

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
+1 on this. I dropped 150 lbs by simply setting reasonable goals and logging my foods and workouts. FWIW, Map My Ride has built in food logging, so it's a pretty easy way to track both calories burned and calories consumed.
I noticed that. How good is the food data?
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 01:58 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 693

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I noticed that. How good is the food data?
Not as good as MFP's. I particularly like the bar code scanner functionality of MFP. It takes the work out of logging food when you can just point your phone at the bar code and scan. Saved meals are a bonus time saver too. I used to use it 3 times a day, every day for a year or two. I've also just noticed, my MFP ticker in my sig doesn't look like yours.
KBentley57 is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 02:19 PM
  #20  
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Posts: 14,715

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
They're customizable.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.


Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 02:42 PM
  #21  
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by KBentley57
Not as good as MFP's. I particularly like the bar code scanner functionality of MFP. It takes the work out of logging food when you can just point your phone at the bar code and scan. Saved meals are a bonus time saver too. I used to use it 3 times a day, every day for a year or two. I've also just noticed, my MFP ticker in my sig doesn't look like yours.
You have to pay for the yellow jersey to get the images in your signature block.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 03:22 PM
  #22  
Who has a good sense of humor for going along with my little April Fool Gag (The Admin)
 
Mr. Markets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: on my laptop
Posts: 4,066

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
I am finding out more and more about whats REALLY in our food and how it affects our bodies. I am NOT a "foodie" but much of my adult life has been in chemical research. I try NOT to ingest anyhting I work with, but have been finding out that I voluntarily ingest things I really shouldnt.

Many will tell you not to eat wheat products. I thought it was just a carbohydrate thing. I overlooked the fact that most of our wheat is genetically modified so it wont be killed by roundup herbicide. Blah blah blah, GMO...! Wait a minute! Its modified to be roundup resistant?! Soooo that means its being doused with roundup anyway, and since the plant LIVES we are eating roundup??!! When the plant dies it degrades and doesnt persist in the soil, but if the plant lives, it ends up in our bodies. Eeeek! There is more than that if you go looking. Look for better QUALITY food, and you will lose that weight. I think anyone that eats moderately and is active will stay a healthy weight easily.

Thats my theory. Now its time for ME to put it in practice. (This really is all new information to me!)

-SP
Sorry, wrong, in the US we do not grow GMO wheat unless it is illegal. We do grow GMO corn, sorghum, potatos, sugar beets and who knows what else, but no wheat.
Mr. Markets is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 08:12 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Posts: 4,026

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
I am finding out more and more about whats REALLY in our food and how it affects our bodies. I am NOT a "foodie" but much of my adult life has been in chemical research. I try NOT to ingest anyhting I work with, but have been finding out that I voluntarily ingest things I really shouldnt.

Many will tell you not to eat wheat products. I thought it was just a carbohydrate thing. I overlooked the fact that most of our wheat is genetically modified so it wont be killed by roundup herbicide. Blah blah blah, GMO...! Wait a minute! Its modified to be roundup resistant?! Soooo that means its being doused with roundup anyway, and since the plant LIVES we are eating roundup??!! When the plant dies it degrades and doesnt persist in the soil, but if the plant lives, it ends up in our bodies. Eeeek! There is more than that if you go looking. Look for better QUALITY food, and you will lose that weight. I think anyone that eats moderately and is active will stay a healthy weight easily.

Thats my theory. Now its time for ME to put it in practice. (This really is all new information to me!)

-SP
with respect to Roundup...
and your corn along with corn based products (tortilla's, taco shells, etc.) along with soybeans and it's products. Spray the heck out of them.
IBOHUNT is offline  
Old 08-29-13, 08:16 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
IBOHUNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
Posts: 4,026

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Yes it does. There is a pretty decent correlation between fitness and BMI. It's not a 100% indicator and can be corrupted by build (musculature, etc.), but for someone with a non-athletic build, it's not bad.
Then we get into the debate of a 'non-athletic build'
According to BMI calculators I am overweight at 18% body fat
IBOHUNT is offline  
Old 08-30-13, 01:46 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,704

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I noticed that. How good is the food data?
I'm not sure. I had a year and a half's records already in carbs conteol when I started using MMR, so I'm still using two apps. But I have to assume that it's close enough to be useable. When I spot checked it, it was certainly in the neighborhood.

Truth be told, there's always guesswork involved, and apps like MFP that rely in part on user data have their own variability to take into account. But faulty data is better than no data in this case. You just have to develop an eye for numbers that seem out of whack with reality.

BB
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.