Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Rim width ?

Old 08-20-14, 07:20 AM
  #1  
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Rim width ?

What width rim for running 25mm Conti GP 4000S II clinchers? is the current trend for rims to be wider than they used to be?


After ~11,000 miles my Bontrager Race Lite's are dying. The rear bladed spokes have worn channels where they cross. I'm starting to hear popping as the spokes pop out of and back into the channels.

One Wheel builder I contacted spec'd a 23mm wide rim, 32 spoke Velocity A23 MSW rim. I've spec'd an I9 Torch hub as I really like loud hubs for group riding.
bbeasley is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 07:34 AM
  #2  
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uncertain
Posts: 8,651
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, wider rims are the fashion. Makes sense, too - more aero, reduced rolling resistance. My racing wheels have 23mm rims and I run 23mm Conti 4000s on them. You'll be fine with the 25s.
chasm54 is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 08:36 AM
  #3  
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Not only that, you should be able to get away with less air pressure in a wider wheel, so they're more comfortable too.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 09:33 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
CACycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 4,571

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I've got the A23s and ran 23mm tires when I first got them. They worked fine. Running 25mm now. One thing with the A23s, they are a bit of a chore to mount tires. I gave up on rim strip and went with Veloplugs to make it easier.
CACycling is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 09:36 AM
  #5  
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,213

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
wider is the new aero and yes they feel oh so good
jsigone is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 11:01 AM
  #6  
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
wider is the new aero and yes they feel oh so good
You can actually feel the difference? Is it because of lower pressures?
bbeasley is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 11:02 AM
  #7  
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Not only that, you should be able to get away with less air pressure in a wider wheel, so they're more comfortable too.
I run 100 lbs in my Conti 23s on what I'm assuming is narrower rims. Where should I start with the 25s?
bbeasley is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 11:04 AM
  #8  
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
I've got the A23s and ran 23mm tires when I first got them. They worked fine. Running 25mm now. One thing with the A23s, they are a bit of a chore to mount tires. I gave up on rim strip and went with Veloplugs to make it easier.
I don't understand, how did the rim strip cause you problems? Thanks!
bbeasley is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 11:17 AM
  #9  
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 10,213

Bikes: one for everything

Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
You can actually feel the difference? Is it because of lower pressures?
Yes, the ride quality is on par with riding tubulars. Tubeless IS worth it, tires are expensive but worth it. The wheelset i have, i didn't have a single flat for over 2500 miles!!! Wore out the rear tire though and new one still haven't flatted. Its a great feeling to go ride xxx some miles and not have to worry about a mechanical

I just some conti Grand sport race in 25c on my CX bike, running them 90/95 so far. Tubeless would be a few psi lower, but feels softer cushion to ride on. Plus they roll just as fast.
jsigone is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 11:52 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mountain View, CA USA and Golden, CO USA
Posts: 6,341

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
I don't understand, how did the rim strip cause you problems? Thanks!
It affects how much slack you have when trying to get the last bit of bead over the rim wall.

I switched from Velox (.020" thick) with Velo Plugs as a fall back for tight rims to 1mil Kapton tape (the film is .001" thick, although adhesive brings the total up to .005 - .0054" for two wraps. Use 3/4" for wide rims and 5/8" for traditional) after building a wheel set using Velocity Fusions which made the difference between Continental tires being hard to mount (in spite of using Velo Plugs) with tools and reasonable without.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-20-14 at 11:56 AM.
Drew Eckhardt is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 12:49 PM
  #11  
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
As for pressures, experiment! I have 21mm width wheels (who thought of that?) so it's halfway between 19 and 23 and usually go with 100psi in the rear 25mm michelin. I've gone 90 before.

Since you're a scrawny waif, you can probably try 90 without harm. (I'm 218 these days)
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 02:49 PM
  #12  
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Since you're a scrawny waif, you can probably try 90 without harm. (I'm 218 these days)
The check's in the mail

I'm doing our "catch the rabbit" A ride tonight. I'll be the highest BMI there, my goal today is not to get spit off the back until I've clocked 20 miles. Survived 18 last week.
bbeasley is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 02:51 PM
  #13  
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
The check's in the mail

I'm doing our "catch the rabbit" A ride tonight. I'll be the highest BMI there, my goal today is not to get spit off the back until I've clocked 20 miles. Survived 18 last week.
It's only bad if some skinny little beanpole has to ride you back to the pack...

"Hey, there's no draft back here... hey, can you stop skipping lunch and dinner?"
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 03:21 PM
  #14  
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
It's only bad if some skinny little beanpole has to ride you back to the pack...

"Hey, there's no draft back here... hey, can you stop skipping lunch and dinner?"
Last week her name was Melody. It's not the first time she's rescued me.

There is an A and a B ride. The B ride leaves 15 Min before the A ride. Last week a well meaning cyclist looks at me and tells me "The B ride is about to leave". I get no respect what with my T shirt, mountain bike shoes, and steel frame.

I promise though, my day is coming. I'm so close to being able to hang on, though not pull, with these cats.
bbeasley is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 03:26 PM
  #15  
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
Last week her name was Melody. It's not the first time she's rescued me.

There is an A and a B ride. The B ride leaves 15 Min before the A ride. Last week a well meaning cyclist looks at me and tells me "The B ride is about to leave". I get no respect what with my T shirt, mountain bike shoes, and steel frame.

I promise though, my day is coming. I'm so close to being able to hang on, though not pull, with these cats.
Do you have a little sun visor on your helmet too? And a camelbak? If you're gonna go full-Fred, might as well go FULL fred.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-20-14, 03:35 PM
  #16  
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Posts: 1,426

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Do you have a little sun visor on your helmet too? And a camelbak? If you're gonna go full-Fred, might as well go FULL fred.
No but I do have longish hair and I wear a full ball cap, not cycling cap, backwards under my helmet
bbeasley is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hazben1
Road Cycling
11
09-25-14 02:41 PM
armybikerider
Road Cycling
11
09-14-14 12:28 PM
cestlaguerre
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
2
08-19-14 07:20 PM
Barrettscv
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
4
09-30-10 10:19 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.