Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I went sub-Clyde for 2 years, now I'm looking at a closet full off too small clothes

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I went sub-Clyde for 2 years, now I'm looking at a closet full off too small clothes

Old 08-24-14, 10:21 AM
  #1  
masi61
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,924

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 121 Posts
I went sub-Clyde for 2 years, now I'm looking at a closet full off too small clothes

Weird story all.

I was lonely and divorced w/no girlfriend for a few years after my divorce. At my highest I was 266 pounds. I got mad, joined a gym, applied some real consistency (OK, actually compulsivity) to working out. I got into a nice groove and the magical goal of getting down below 200 blew by in a way that at the time, I could barely even keep up as the scale plunged below 190, then at my lowest - 179 pounds. I was enjoying riding in a way I have not for years. Much less fear of heavy climbing. An increased sense of confidence on my local hilly roads. More adventurous-ness as I continually modified my tried and true country boy routes to add more miles and more challenges. I had not 2 but 3 road bikes, all slightly different to ride depending on the conditions, or my mood. I got really consistent and good at doing spinning classes. I think this was my foundation really. My average speeds were good, I could actually take it easy and still average in the low 18's on my mixed terrain rides or if I felt really good or wanted to try a weekly "time trial". I could push it into the high 18 averages (with a few in the 19's) on my ordinary vintage-ish road bike.

Fast forward a little over a year. I met a wonderful lady in the next big town. We really seem to match up well, and I really have fallen for her. The drive each way to her house is an hour in the car. She would like to ride but has balance issues with her inner ear so she will need to get a recumbent trike if she wants to ride. During this time, my job has gotten much more difficult. It makes me mad, and its not my fault but my employer runs a ruthless, throw you under the bus type culture (its in health care BTW). My workouts went to about twice a week, then to (maybe) once a week, now I'm lucky to ride (laboring, and not much fun) once or twice a month.

Currently I suspect my weight is about 215 pushing 220 again. Having a big bowl of ice cream after work for "relaxation" seems an acceptable thing to do. Previously fatty foods had gotten to where they seemed to have an off taste in my mouth so I rejected them. Now, greasy burgers don't seem so greasy any more.

Strangely, over the last year of relative sedentary-ness and weight gain, I developed irritable bowel syndrome with frequent diarrhea like stool (sorry - I'm a nurse by trade, just trying to tell a story here, not gross anybody out). I'm 52 and finally decided to get the recommended colonoscopy you're supposed to get when you turn 50. I also provided stool specimens for like 3 or 4 different types of parasites all of which came back normal.

Which brings me up to the present time, late summer 2014. I'm mad enough about my loss of fitness, and I know enough about how to get it back, that I'm sure I could do it. The problem is I now have added complexity in my relationships and seemingly, less free time. I "broke up" symbolically with girlfriend for 3 days a few weeks ago so that I could resume my previous, simple compulsive daily unhindered workouts. I felt pretty stupid when on one of my recent bike rides I pushed the distance right back to 40 miles (on a hilly route using one of my faster rides with no touring triple crank). I promptly strained a right hip flexor muscle and finished my ride with almost no power in the tank and the right hip flexor obviously torn. It is still quite sore, and only seems to improve when I'm super religious about doing specific yoga stretches with a hand towel that were taught to me by a sports medicine physician here near Dayton, OH where I live. It is encouraging and humbling that even more serious strains like this will heal eventually. My ego or mojo is clearly off but I did do 2 follow up rides a week or 2 after that, one at 26 miles, another at 41 miles. Average speeds are way off. Normally this would not matter, and shouldn't matter. Why it does is a matter of why ego is our worst enemy at times. Being smooth, light, injury free and consistent are the goals. Hell, just re-building a simple routine of easily collecting up the sunscreen, socks, cycling shoes, clean bib shorts and jersey, fully charged cell phone, a banana and a cliff bar and a helmet and gloves - arming the home security system and embarking seems way more cumbersome than it used to be.

Not sure if my personal experience is shared by others here but I'll bet other members here have comparable stories of how "life" gets us off our game. I do feel blessed that I have endured different flights into fitness and overcoming injury over the years enough to enjoy the sport of cycling at a level where everyday rides don't always have to feel like a slog or a pain fest. Right now, though there is that new Clyde hump to be vanquished again.

Last edited by masi61; 08-24-14 at 10:28 AM.
masi61 is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 10:22 AM
  #2  
masi61
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,924

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 121 Posts
oops meant to say in the title: "closet full OF too small clothes.
masi61 is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 11:10 AM
  #3  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,319

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 139 Posts
I have been there. Motivation ebbs and flows. Demands of work ebbs and flows. Family commitments ebb and flow.

Around 2004, I went on a serious diet and exercise regimen after years of losing and gaining the same 10 to 20 lbs. Went from 265 down to 205. Kept it off for 3 or 4 years with a regimen of daily workouts, and strict control over diet. Work situation was pretty good as they pretty much allowed me to take my lunch hour at the gym and eat a bag lunch at my desk while I worked in the afternoon or on my way to court. That regimen started to break down and I gained a quick 10 pounds, then broke down further after that job situation changed and I wasn't able to do the mid day workouts anymore. Then my father got really sick and died and those years now seem a blur. Somehow I managed to get to meet most of my work and family commitments, but my diet and exercise regimen were in the crapper for a couple of years and I gained back all the weight and a few lbs more. Got back to riding, and the gym and started to watch my diet again and lost some of that weight two years ago , but not all. Now trying to get back to the sort of regimen I used to do, though I am now 10 years older, and it seems harder.

No easy answers. The reality is, if maintaining a healthy weight requires a strict regimen, that regimen will eventually break down. All you can do is pick yourself up and get back to it from time to time and try to do better.

Last edited by MRT2; 08-24-14 at 01:18 PM.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 12:00 PM
  #4  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well over eating is not the only disease I have, I am also a recovering alcoholic and drug addict (11-12-1991 One Day at a Time), and in recovery programs for those many say the disease is cunning, baffling, and powerful................and many many people add the word "patient" to the end of those modifiers.

I am sure much the same is true of eating more food than our body needs today. Somehow our whole being "wants" to be fat....or wants that "buzz" from over eating.

One CAN log calories with zero workouts and still lose or maintain weight :-).

It is as simple (and as complex both at the same time) as YOU deciding to do what is good for you today, even if you cannot include 2-3 hours of cardio exercise per day as you used to :-).

I am resolute that THIS TIME when I meet my weight/fitness goals then I will one day at a time I will maintain that condition by whatever means necessary.....this will probably mean logging intake for the rest of my days alive maybe.

Sorry if it sounds blunt, but you CAN do this one day at a time if you CHOOSE to, and that "day" can start right now...getting your intake right is the first step, then add another 24 hours, and another.

So far for me using Myfitnesspal logging daily for 116 days so far and meeting my goals every one of those days has not been a terribly difficult ordeal with it set on 2lbs a day, it MAY get difficult who knows, but TODAY it is not, and for that I am grateful :-).


Bill
Willbird is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 12:27 PM
  #5  
masi61
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,924

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 121 Posts
thanks Bill and MRT2.
masi61 is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:11 PM
  #6  
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 13,346

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt. I think you'll find a lot of other people here who have experienced setbacks. Um, welcome back I think.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:21 PM
  #7  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,319

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
Well over eating is not the only disease I have, I am also a recovering alcoholic and drug addict (11-12-1991 One Day at a Time), and in recovery programs for those many say the disease is cunning, baffling, and powerful................and many many people add the word "patient" to the end of those modifiers.

I am sure much the same is true of eating more food than our body needs today. Somehow our whole being "wants" to be fat....or wants that "buzz" from over eating.

One CAN log calories with zero workouts and still lose or maintain weight :-).

It is as simple (and as complex both at the same time) as YOU deciding to do what is good for you today, even if you cannot include 2-3 hours of cardio exercise per day as you used to :-).

I am resolute that THIS TIME when I meet my weight/fitness goals then I will one day at a time I will maintain that condition by whatever means necessary.....this will probably mean logging intake for the rest of my days alive maybe.

Sorry if it sounds blunt, but you CAN do this one day at a time if you CHOOSE to, and that "day" can start right now...getting your intake right is the first step, then add another 24 hours, and another.

So far for me using Myfitnesspal logging daily for 116 days so far and meeting my goals every one of those days has not been a terribly difficult ordeal with it set on 2lbs a day, it MAY get difficult who knows, but TODAY it is not, and for that I am grateful :-).


Bill
Never thought about it that way, but some truth to this. Rich food is always waiting. A bike riding regimen takes a lot of time, unless you can work bike commuting into your life, so the weight is always waiting to return, if you are not careful.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:29 PM
  #8  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
Never thought about it that way, but some truth to this. Rich food is always waiting. A bike riding regimen takes a lot of time, unless you can work bike commuting into your life, so the weight is always waiting to return, if you are not careful.
I know for me it is patient......I cut from over 300 down to 180 or so, then gained it all back, took a few years but "it" won :-).But not this time :-).

Back then smart phones did not exist, and online programs like fitday were pretty clunky really, we have it SO good now with all the smart phone aps :-).

I was grocery shopping yesterday evening at about 7pm, I was HUNGRY too, the chocolate next to the register was calling to me sweetly, but I looked at the cals on the back of the packages and the best it was gonna get really was 150-200 cals and I decided on food instead of candy :-). Not that I will not EVER work a hershey bar into the daily cals, but not yesterday or today :-).

I was looking up some stuff in MFP on the ride home from test riding bikes in Indy......what I typically got from Taco Bell as one "meal" totaled up to about 2400 calories, I eat 2200 a DAY right now :-).

Bill

Last edited by Willbird; 08-24-14 at 01:32 PM.
Willbird is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:34 PM
  #9  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,319

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
I know for me it is patient......I cut from over 300 down to 180 or so, then gained it all back, took a few years but "it" won :-).But not this time :-).

Back then smart phones did not exist, and online programs like fitday were pretty clunky really, we have it SO good now with all the smart phone aps :-).

I was grocery shopping yesterday evening at about 7pm, I was HUNGRY too, the chocolate next to the register was calling to me sweetly, but I looked at the cals on the back of the packages and the best it was gonna get really was 150-200 cals and I decided on food instead of candy :-). Not that I will not EVER work a hershey bar into the daily cals, but not yesterday or today :-).

I was looking up some stuff in MFP on the ride home from test riding bikes in Indy......what I typically got from Taco Bell as one "meal" totaled up to about 2400 calories, I eat 2200 a DAY right now :-).

Bill
Since this is a cycling forum, I would add that cycling alone won't do it, at least not for me.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:45 PM
  #10  
linnefaulk
Senior Member
 
linnefaulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: florida
Posts: 1,844

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Welcome back. Cycling helped me lose the weight before, I am trying once again. And enjoying the process as well.
linnefaulk is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:46 PM
  #11  
MRT2
Senior Member
 
MRT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,319

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 139 Posts
Finally, don't push yourself too far too soon. It is humbling to find how quickly you lose bike fitness. I was humbled to find in April/May of 2012 how little riding it took to wear me out after a couple of years off the bike. And being injured sucks.
MRT2 is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 01:48 PM
  #12  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
Since this is a cycling forum, I would add that cycling alone won't do it, at least not for me.
As far as I can figure I already had a high TDEE before I got "recycled"....my normal workday is over 6000 steps of walking, and 20-30 flights of stairs, probably saved me from SOME gain due to over intake, I started cutting intake with MFP before I dug the bike out of the shed......was walking but hurt my knee going to far, too fast, too soon, and downhill sometimes to boot :-).

In short, or long maybe I do agree agree, exertion to me is a "value added" thing, I know from past experience I can cut from where I was to 180 or less strictly by lowering intake to 2000 calories a day......cycling has helped no doubt because I have MFP set on 2.0 a week and I have been averaging over 2.9 a week. I'm sure the cardiovascular benefits from cycling have been huge, I was able to get my "walking fast" heart rate to 140 pre cycling, now it barely tops 120. Probably has helped me drop the BP med I was on too, and it lets me eat complex carbs like oatmeal again if I eat it before I head out for a ride.

Bill
Willbird is offline  
Old 08-24-14, 02:17 PM
  #13  
klmmicro
Senior Member
 
klmmicro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 201

Bikes: 2007 GT Avalanche 2.0, 2011 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just know that you can. I was in the throws of riding ecstasy when I met someone about 5 years ago. We got serious and I started to take a break from riding. Within 2 months I was above 200 again and decided to set some limits, which in turn became boundaries. I did not want to go back to being obese, but relationships being what they are was shorter on time. Pick days where you will ride and stick with them. Also, diet...diet, diet. I had to make it known that eating out all the time was not for me. More home cooked meals that are light in fat and heavy in "good stuff" can be helpful. Buy smaller containers of ice cream!

On a positive note, she decided to join a gym as riding was not her thing. My commitment helped her to build her own commitment. A win-win of sorts. It is a matter of being true to yourself so that you can be true to others.
klmmicro is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 08:09 AM
  #14  
baron von trail 
Senior Member
 
baron von trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,509

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
Weird story all.

I was lonely and divorced w/no girlfriend for a few years after my divorce. At my highest I was 266 pounds. I got mad, joined a gym, applied some real consistency (OK, actually compulsivity) to working out. I got into a nice groove and the magical goal of getting down below 200 blew by in a way that at the time, I could barely even keep up as the scale plunged below 190, then at my lowest - 179 pounds. I was enjoying riding in a way I have not for years. Much less fear of heavy climbing. An increased sense of confidence on my local hilly roads. More adventurous-ness as I continually modified my tried and true country boy routes to add more miles and more challenges. I had not 2 but 3 road bikes, all slightly different to ride depending on the conditions, or my mood. I got really consistent and good at doing spinning classes. I think this was my foundation really. My average speeds were good, I could actually take it easy and still average in the low 18's on my mixed terrain rides or if I felt really good or wanted to try a weekly "time trial". I could push it into the high 18 averages (with a few in the 19's) on my ordinary vintage-ish road bike.

Fast forward a little over a year. I met a wonderful lady in the next big town. We really seem to match up well, and I really have fallen for her. The drive each way to her house is an hour in the car. She would like to ride but has balance issues with her inner ear so she will need to get a recumbent trike if she wants to ride. During this time, my job has gotten much more difficult. It makes me mad, and its not my fault but my employer runs a ruthless, throw you under the bus type culture (its in health care BTW). My workouts went to about twice a week, then to (maybe) once a week, now I'm lucky to ride (laboring, and not much fun) once or twice a month.

Currently I suspect my weight is about 215 pushing 220 again. Having a big bowl of ice cream after work for "relaxation" seems an acceptable thing to do. Previously fatty foods had gotten to where they seemed to have an off taste in my mouth so I rejected them. Now, greasy burgers don't seem so greasy any more.

Strangely, over the last year of relative sedentary-ness and weight gain, I developed irritable bowel syndrome with frequent diarrhea like stool (sorry - I'm a nurse by trade, just trying to tell a story here, not gross anybody out). I'm 52 and finally decided to get the recommended colonoscopy you're supposed to get when you turn 50. I also provided stool specimens for like 3 or 4 different types of parasites all of which came back normal.

Which brings me up to the present time, late summer 2014. I'm mad enough about my loss of fitness, and I know enough about how to get it back, that I'm sure I could do it. The problem is I now have added complexity in my relationships and seemingly, less free time. I "broke up" symbolically with girlfriend for 3 days a few weeks ago so that I could resume my previous, simple compulsive daily unhindered workouts. I felt pretty stupid when on one of my recent bike rides I pushed the distance right back to 40 miles (on a hilly route using one of my faster rides with no touring triple crank). I promptly strained a right hip flexor muscle and finished my ride with almost no power in the tank and the right hip flexor obviously torn. It is still quite sore, and only seems to improve when I'm super religious about doing specific yoga stretches with a hand towel that were taught to me by a sports medicine physician here near Dayton, OH where I live. It is encouraging and humbling that even more serious strains like this will heal eventually. My ego or mojo is clearly off but I did do 2 follow up rides a week or 2 after that, one at 26 miles, another at 41 miles. Average speeds are way off. Normally this would not matter, and shouldn't matter. Why it does is a matter of why ego is our worst enemy at times. Being smooth, light, injury free and consistent are the goals. Hell, just re-building a simple routine of easily collecting up the sunscreen, socks, cycling shoes, clean bib shorts and jersey, fully charged cell phone, a banana and a cliff bar and a helmet and gloves - arming the home security system and embarking seems way more cumbersome than it used to be.

Not sure if my personal experience is shared by others here but I'll bet other members here have comparable stories of how "life" gets us off our game. I do feel blessed that I have endured different flights into fitness and overcoming injury over the years enough to enjoy the sport of cycling at a level where everyday rides don't always have to feel like a slog or a pain fest. Right now, though there is that new Clyde hump to be vanquished again.
This is not uncommon. In fact, this could be me writing your post.

15 years ago, I got divorced. Dropped from 210 to 180 in less than a year. Met who would in 12 years become the new wife. And, even though we lived active lifestyle, I quickly grew to over 200 again. Pretty much hung in at 200-205 for five years, and suddenly ballooned to 220--new job, working more hours, doing less exercise, started eating junk.

That ticked me off, so I got serious again. Quit eating crap and forced myself to ride a trainer when time prevented me from real rides. I dropped a fast five pounds. Then I broke my leg while cycling. 12-weeks of recovery; 6 months before the doc said I could ride again. Miraculously, I lost another 15 pounds while rehabbing and hobbling around on crutches. By the end of that year, 2009, I was down to 185. A year later, I was flirting with 175.

Ah, but then I got cocky. I started eating junk again--what the hell, I'm 175 lbs. Right? Pizza, pasta, Danishes, I are it all. Before long, I had a closet full of clothes that would not fit. By the end of 2012, I was pushing 250! I think my max last year peaked near 258, maybe even 260. Who wants to remember details when at that weight?

Most of this year was spent re engineering my diet and lifestyle. It took about 6 months to get a handle on it and quit gaining weight. Up until then, I'd lose a few pounds here and their (mostly in summer), and gain back more. Kind of a lose 5 lbs, gain 10 kind of thing. The new plan actually stopped the swings, held my weight steady until it finally started coming off. I expect it to take a out a year to get back to 200.

BTW: I saved the clothes. They are all upstairs in the spare closet. I fully expect to get back into them. Sadly, or maybe not, I have 3 sizes of clothes up there to work back through.
baron von trail is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 08:44 AM
  #15  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baron von trail View Post
BTW: I saved the clothes. They are all upstairs in the spare closet. I fully expect to get back into them. Sadly, or maybe not, I have 3 sizes of clothes up there to work back through.
We have an indomitable spirit :-)...somehow I tossed size 44 but I had every size from the 48 I was wearing May 1 clear down to 36 in jeans.....I can wiggle into the 38's now if I want to muffin top look, but I wear 40-42 every day.

Work shirts wear out and get stained so I do not have any of those really, was in XXL and I'm wearing them til I can fit into L shirts, I wear the Carhart "Force" wicking shirts so they are not cheap..hate to buy XL and barely wear them any.
Willbird is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 09:04 AM
  #16  
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA
 
FrenchFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,757

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
Right now, though there is that new Clyde hump to be vanquished again.
I don't know if there are similarities on our stories, but I found it pretty difficult to get enough exercise bike riding, and the time invested was simply far too much. Both in prep and actual ride time, even doing intervals - a crazy investment of time. My two different solutions were 1) spin class - and I mean working hard. I took the sufferfest video on my smart phone and did the routine before the class showed up, then used the class for more of a recovery ride, and 2) running. I run pretty much every day, treadmill if the weather's bad, minimum 5k. It's crazy efficient, out the door at 6am, in the shower by 6:45 and nothing more difficult than putting on running shoes and grabbing the mp3 player. Really sets you up for EPOC the rest of the day and gives you the mindset to tolerate stress. It's actually stunning how time, distance, effort changes over time...what seems impossible the first month is a joke 6 months later. I guess 3rd would be lifestyle-diet, but attitudes about this vary so much, I'll pass on pontificating.
FrenchFit is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 09:05 AM
  #17  
spdracr39
Senior Member
 
spdracr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 1,538

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want to be disrespectful or sound like I am non caring but this will be tough love. You know the issue fix it. You know the way you are headed makes you feel bad and shortens your life so don't go there. Use the anger reading this builds and let it motivate you to get back to that healthy lifestyle. Food is not your counselor it only makes things worse. Do you want to be happy and boast about your success or constantly explore and find reasons why you failed? It's all up to you and you can't decide tomorrow you must determine your future now !!! If your relationship partner cares about you she will help you and support you so you may have a long and healthy life together.
spdracr39 is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 01:14 PM
  #18  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
I don't know if there are similarities on our stories, but I found it pretty difficult to get enough exercise bike riding, and the time invested was simply far too much. Both in prep and actual ride time, even doing intervals - a crazy investment of time. My two different solutions were 1) spin class - and I mean working hard. I took the sufferfest video on my smart phone and did the routine before the class showed up, then used the class for more of a recovery ride, and 2) running. I run pretty much every day, treadmill if the weather's bad, minimum 5k. It's crazy efficient, out the door at 6am, in the shower by 6:45 and nothing more difficult than putting on running shoes and grabbing the mp3 player. Really sets you up for EPOC the rest of the day and gives you the mindset to tolerate stress. It's actually stunning how time, distance, effort changes over time...what seems impossible the first month is a joke 6 months later. I guess 3rd would be lifestyle-diet, but attitudes about this vary so much, I'll pass on pontificating.
The trouble with running for me anyway is that it is a LOT harder on my body than riding is......when I am closer to my "ideal" weight that might not be AS true, but I already walking 6000 steps in a workday on my feet, and climb 20 or more flights of stairs in 8 hours. I just about killed my right knee walking fast and even jogging a little downhill at 280 lbs, riding in comparison is nearly zero impact.

It takes a lot of discipline to not run my heart rate up higher than the days goals require cycling...cycling provides enough effort to run it at 150 if I wanted to, not sure really how running could offer any more than cycling does as far as calorie burn per hour at a given heart rate ??

But I would NEVER reach my goals probably just riding, or running, or rowing, or whatever if I did not adjust my calorie intake.
Willbird is offline  
Old 08-31-14, 09:19 PM
  #19  
baron von trail 
Senior Member
 
baron von trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,509

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
The trouble with running for me anyway is that it is a LOT harder on my body than riding is......when I am closer to my "ideal" weight that might not be AS true, but I already walking 6000 steps in a workday on my feet, and climb 20 or more flights of stairs in 8 hours. I just about killed my right knee walking fast and even jogging a little downhill at 280 lbs, riding in comparison is nearly zero impact.

It takes a lot of discipline to not run my heart rate up higher than the days goals require cycling...cycling provides enough effort to run it at 150 if I wanted to, not sure really how running could offer any more than cycling does as far as calorie burn per hour at a given heart rate ??

But I would NEVER reach my goals probably just riding, or running, or rowing, or whatever if I did not adjust my calorie intake.
It takes a 3500 calorie defficiency to lose a pound. A big guy cycling at 15mph burns around a 1000 cal per hour. Regular life burns maybe 2000 more. Most of us can easily eat over 4000 calories a day. So, losing weight requires both eating less food and doing a lot of exercise.
baron von trail is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 07:23 AM
  #20  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baron von trail View Post
It takes a 3500 calorie defficiency to lose a pound. A big guy cycling at 15mph burns around a 1000 cal per hour. Regular life burns maybe 2000 more. Most of us can easily eat over 4000 calories a day. So, losing weight requires both eating less food and doing a lot of exercise.
I'm sorry but there is no way I believe the 1000 calories an hour part :-) on flat ground anyway.

And I have pretty much proved it for myself anyway, depending on how you define "big guy" but when I started I was about 200% of my "ideal" weight so I would think I qualified :-).

For the most part I now eat 1/4 to 1/2 of what I ate before, probably 1/4 on the weekends, and 1/2 during the week (I did not do so bad during the week, weekends were my real pitfall before).

Yesterday I made breakfast and it made 4 servings, 2 went in the fridge, the wife and I ate the other 2. It was not a low cal breakfast either, 700 cals, so a 1400 calorie breakfast was one hell of a way to start the day, sheesh.

I still think losing weight is far more about intake than exercise......but there are other very good benefits to the exercise other than just losing weight.

I'm sticking to 400 cals an hour as a rough estimate for myself.
Willbird is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 08:13 AM
  #21  
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA
 
FrenchFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,757

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
I'm sorry but there is no way I believe the 1000 calories an hour part :-) on flat ground anyway.
I'm in the camp that believes you burn a modest amount of calories on a flat, cruising, 15 mph bike ride...you've got to be hammering or climbing to get a real burn started. As far as running, Chi or Pose running is pretty low impact, add some intervals and it's a serious workout...but you're done in 30 minutes. Anyway, good luck on your journey. I like to think that those of us with life long weight challenges have uber-efficient metabolisms that could survive on a few grains of rice and a handful of insects; we are very high mileage vehicles in a calorie guzzling society - such is our burden. That thinking led me in the direction of intermittent fasting, which has been a rewarding path for me. I say keep if fun, if it becomes something else you are probably doing it wrong and screwing with your mental well-being.
FrenchFit is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 02:56 PM
  #22  
baron von trail 
Senior Member
 
baron von trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,509

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
I'm sorry but there is no way I believe the 1000 calories an hour part :-) on flat ground anyway.

And I have pretty much proved it for myself anyway, depending on how you define "big guy" but when I started I was about 200% of my "ideal" weight so I would think I qualified :-).

For the most part I now eat 1/4 to 1/2 of what I ate before, probably 1/4 on the weekends, and 1/2 during the week (I did not do so bad during the week, weekends were my real pitfall before).

Yesterday I made breakfast and it made 4 servings, 2 went in the fridge, the wife and I ate the other 2. It was not a low cal breakfast either, 700 cals, so a 1400 calorie breakfast was one hell of a way to start the day, sheesh.

I still think losing weight is far more about intake than exercise......but there are other very good benefits to the exercise other than just losing weight.

I'm sticking to 400 cals an hour as a rough estimate for myself.
Heavy guys burn a lot of calories holding a steady 15 mph clip. I'm not talking jacking it up to 15 mph and then coasting for a 100 yards. Averaging 15 for a whole hour, not averaging 12 mph with an occasional 15 peak.

anyway, here's a link.
Cycling - Calories Burned Bike Riding

I seriously doubt many folks in this sub forum actually average 15 mph per hour for several hours. It's not easy. And, if they did, the forum would be empty. I've been riding for years and as I get heavier, averaging much over 13mph for several hours has become incredibly difficult. It was a breeze at 185.

To average 15 mph at 220-plus pounds, for 3-4 hours, you pretty much have to put everything you've got into it. Not only do you need to push 18-20 mph on flats and beneficial wind conditions, because even 5 minutes at 12mph while climbing a hill or fighting a headwind or, worse, slowing down for crossroads or stopping at signs, will kill your average, but you also need supplemental nutrition, like gels or raisons, because no one can ride like that on breakfast alone. A sandwich won't do it either because digestion of solid food depletes too much energy.

Here's what I learned from personal experience. 15mph average at 240lbs is as hard as 20mph at 185lbs. The chart seems to support that.
baron von trail is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 05:42 PM
  #23  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baron von trail View Post
Heavy guys burn a lot of calories holding a steady 15 mph clip. I'm not talking jacking it up to 15 mph and then coasting for a 100 yards. Averaging 15 for a whole hour, not averaging 12 mph with an occasional 15 peak.

anyway, here's a link.
Cycling - Calories Burned Bike Riding

I seriously doubt many folks in this sub forum actually average 15 mph per hour for several hours. It's not easy. And, if they did, the forum would be empty. I've been riding for years and as I get heavier, averaging much over 13mph for several hours has become incredibly difficult. It was a breeze at 185.

To average 15 mph at 220-plus pounds, for 3-4 hours, you pretty much have to put everything you've got into it. Not only do you need to push 18-20 mph on flats and beneficial wind conditions, because even 5 minutes at 12mph while climbing a hill or fighting a headwind or, worse, slowing down for crossroads or stopping at signs, will kill your average, but you also need supplemental nutrition, like gels or raisons, because no one can ride like that on breakfast alone. A sandwich won't do it either because digestion of solid food depletes too much energy.

Here's what I learned from personal experience. 15mph average at 240lbs is as hard as 20mph at 185lbs. The chart seems to support that.
I can average 15 for two hours :-)......PB is 15.66 average for 30 miles svh HR 160 but just did 15.27 average Saturday and kept heart rate mostly under 140.....there was an 8mph South wind to deal with too, and what passes for hills here. That also included stop signs and one stop light :-).


Not on a road bike either, I ride a hybrid with 700x35 tires. I really have not pushed much past 2 hours so far, did one metric this summer but 5 hours on a hybrid is not nearly as much fun as it sounds :-).

i can find any calorie burn number I'd like if I look hard enough, but 400 calories an hour makes the most sense to me, and at most I only eat 100 or so of those back.

Bill

Last edited by Willbird; 09-01-14 at 05:58 PM.
Willbird is offline  
Old 09-01-14, 08:39 PM
  #24  
baron von trail 
Senior Member
 
baron von trail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,509

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
I can average 15 for two hours :-)......PB is 15.66 average for 30 miles svh HR 160 but just did 15.27 average Saturday and kept heart rate mostly under 140.....there was an 8mph South wind to deal with too, and what passes for hills here. That also included stop signs and one stop light :-).


Not on a road bike either, I ride a hybrid with 700x35 tires. I really have not pushed much past 2 hours so far, did one metric this summer but 5 hours on a hybrid is not nearly as much fun as it sounds :-).

i can find any calorie burn number I'd like if I look hard enough, but 400 calories an hour makes the most sense to me, and at most I only eat 100 or so of those back.

Bill
I'm sure it's not an exact chart, but it came up first on the Google. I have a hell of a time holding 15 mph for three hours. But I have no problem averaging close to 18 mph during a 1 hr sprint. Two hour rides against wind are closer to 15. My 3's usually go 14mph unless I'm fresh after a day or two of rest and really pushing it. I can average a tad over sixteen on those days, but then I'm spent.

I don't disagree that cycling alone can shake off pounds. Hell, if it did, I'd still weigh 185. Most of my weight gain came while I cycled approx 100 miles a week but ate like each meal was my last.

Now, when I cycle 200 miles per week and cut down on eating, I do lose weight. Even 200 miles per week at 20 mph, while eating 5000 calories per day, would probably still result in weight gain. And, it's easy to eat 5000 calories. Losing real weight probably requires a 2500 cal daily diet with 2 hours of strenuous exercise.
baron von trail is offline  
Old 09-02-14, 05:29 AM
  #25  
Willbird
Senior Member
 
Willbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Very N and Very W Ohio Williams Co.
Posts: 2,458

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baron von trail View Post
I'm sure it's not an exact chart, but it came up first on the Google. I have a hell of a time holding 15 mph for three hours. But I have no problem averaging close to 18 mph during a 1 hr sprint. Two hour rides against wind are closer to 15. My 3's usually go 14mph unless I'm fresh after a day or two of rest and really pushing it. I can average a tad over sixteen on those days, but then I'm spent.

I don't disagree that cycling alone can shake off pounds. Hell, if it did, I'd still weigh 185. Most of my weight gain came while I cycled approx 100 miles a week but ate like each meal was my last.

Now, when I cycle 200 miles per week and cut down on eating, I do lose weight. Even 200 miles per week at 20 mph, while eating 5000 calories per day, would probably still result in weight gain. And, it's easy to eat 5000 calories. Losing real weight probably requires a 2500 cal daily diet with 2 hours of strenuous exercise.
There are some fancy terms for the effort level one can sustain for a given amount of time. Some refer to 30 minute and 60 minute periods. I only use LTHR at present, Lactate Threshold Heart Rate, this is the level you can sustain for 30 minutes or longer...and it is roughly the aerobic threshold.

Mine is somewhere around 150. For me the two hour window is not about exertion so much as it is the parts that sit on the saddle :-).

The Metric I did July 4th was roughly a 13.5mph average based on ride time...292 minutes saddle time, but pacing comes into it too, when setting out for a long ride, longer than usual I for sure will not roar out of the gate full throttle, I was glad to get it done period :-). Thought about doing another last weekend, labor day...but decided it was a sort of "parlor trick" on my present bike really....and of dubious value at this time.

Wind and road surface come into it too, the roads I usually ride are not super smooth, hitting a few nice smooth stretches is worth 1mph or so at least.

Bill
Willbird is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.