Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Breezer Uptown/Downtown questions

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Breezer Uptown/Downtown questions

Reply

Old 05-07-15, 02:58 AM
  #1  
Radfahrer1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Breezer Uptown/Downtown questions

Greetings all! I want to purchase my first commuting bike. From all the research I've done, I'm inclined toward the Breezer--it generally has very good reviews, seems to come with everything I want at a reasonable price. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see or ride one in person yet. I have two questions: 1) What is the main difference between the Uptown and the Downtown line of models? and 2) are there much differences between the 2014 and 2015 models? I may have the opportunity to get the Uptown 8 2014 model new at a good price, so I'm inclined toward that if they didn't make major changes for the new models.
Thanks in advance!
Radfahrer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 04:58 AM
  #2  
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 2,267

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Radfahrer1 View Post
Greetings all! I want to purchase my first commuting bike. From all the research I've done, I'm inclined toward the Breezer--it generally has very good reviews, seems to come with everything I want at a reasonable price. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see or ride one in person yet. I have two questions: 1) What is the main difference between the Uptown and the Downtown line of models? and 2) are there much differences between the 2014 and 2015 models? I may have the opportunity to get the Uptown 8 2014 model new at a good price, so I'm inclined toward that if they didn't make major changes for the new models.
Thanks in advance!
The main change is the 2015 lineup has no 5 speed. Instead there is an uptown 8, 7, EX & fleet (7 speed gear hub), then downtown 8, 3, and EX. I'm glad they went with a 3 speed, and hope it finds its way to the uptown list next season. Also happy the fleet got a 7 speed replacing the 5 it had. The other main differences are the paint schemes, the chain guard/case and things like that.

If you don't mind adding some info about how long your commute is, hills, etc i could definitely make more useful suggestions!

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 07:25 AM
  #3  
Radfahrer1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
The main change is the 2015 lineup has no 5 speed. Instead there is an uptown 8, 7, EX & fleet (7 speed gear hub), then downtown 8, 3, and EX. I'm glad they went with a 3 speed, and hope it finds its way to the uptown list next season. Also happy the fleet got a 7 speed replacing the 5 it had. The other main differences are the paint schemes, the chain guard/case and things like that.

If you don't mind adding some info about how long your commute is, hills, etc i could definitely make more useful suggestions!

- Andy
Andy, Thanks so much for the reply! I live in Oxford, Ohio, which is a small (and relatively flat) college town. My commute is between home, taking my son to school, and going to my office--the distances are short (less than 10 miles altogether there and back), periodically out to the community park (another 10 miles there & back). I've been living in Germany for the past year and using the bike (an old Peugot I picked up here) for everything, so I'd like a bike loaded with the European standards (chain guard, lights, fenders, kickstand, rack).
From what I gather, there would not be major differences between the models themselves--ie between the 2014 Uptown 8 and the 2015 Uptown 8, other than paint schemes?
Also, can you explain a bit the differences between the Uptown and the Downtown?
Thanks! --Scott

Last edited by Radfahrer1; 05-07-15 at 08:05 AM.
Radfahrer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 08:17 AM
  #4  
ChicagoDan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 58

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Radfahrer1 View Post
Andy, Thanks so much for the reply! I live in Oxford, Ohio, which is a small (and relatively flat) college town. My commute is between home, taking my son to school, and going to my office--the distances are short (less than 10 miles altogether there and back), periodically out to the community park (another 10 miles there & back). I've been living in Germany for the past year and using the bike (an old Peugot I picked up here) for everything, so I'd like a bike loaded with the European standards (chain guard, lights, fenders, kickstand, rack).
From what I gather, there would not be major differences between the models themselves--ie between the 2014 Uptown 8 and the 2015 Uptown 8, other than paint schemes?
Also, can you explain a bit the differences between the Uptown and the Downtown?
Thanks! --Scott
The major difference between the Uptown and Downtown is the frame material. Uptown is an aluminum frame, Downtown is steel. The Downtown also doesn't have lights.

I have a 2015 Uptown 8. As far as I can tell, the major difference between model years is the fully enclosed chain on the 2015. The 2014 has a guard that goes across the top, but the bottom of the chain is exposed.
ChicagoDan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 12:17 PM
  #5  
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 2,267

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The uptown ex and uptown fleet do not have lights, and i believe the uptown fleet is low step only.

As far as the differences, the other difference not mentioned by @ChicagoDan is that the downtown models are all 700c wheels vs the 26 of the uptown 8.

If you need lights, get the uptown 8, if not, the downtown 8 is fine. I personally will never go back to battery lights.

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 12:33 PM
  #6  
Radfahrer1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ChicagoDan View Post
The major difference between the Uptown and Downtown is the frame material. Uptown is an aluminum frame, Downtown is steel. The Downtown also doesn't have lights.

I have a 2015 Uptown 8. As far as I can tell, the major difference between model years is the fully enclosed chain on the 2015. The 2014 has a guard that goes across the top, but the bottom of the chain is exposed.
Thanks! What made you decide on the Uptown 8, and how do you like it?
Radfahrer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 12:45 PM
  #7  
ChicagoDan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 58

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love it. It is a nice stable ride. I went to my LBS and Performance with a list of requirements:

Easy maintenance
Fenders
Rear Rack
Upright position
Lighting
Chain Guard

The local bike store suggested a hybrid with all of the requirements added. Performance had the Uptown assembled, and it came with all of my requirements as standard features. After I test rode both bikes, the Uptown felt like the obvious choice. I didn't necessarily need the dyno lights, but like @TransitBiker I wouldn't give them up now.

Last edited by ChicagoDan; 05-07-15 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added reference
ChicagoDan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 03:58 PM
  #8  
Radfahrer1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ChicagoDan View Post
I love it. It is a nice stable ride. I went to my LBS and Performance with a list of requirements:

Easy maintenance
Fenders
Rear Rack
Upright position
Lighting
Chain Guard

The local bike store suggested a hybrid with all of the requirements added. Performance had the Uptown assembled, and it came with all of my requirements as standard features. After I test rode both bikes, the Uptown felt like the obvious choice. I didn't necessarily need the dyno lights, but like @TransitBiker I wouldn't give them up now.
Thanks! Sounds like you were looking for just what I'm looking for. (I've also been looking at the Performance site).
Radfahrer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 02:28 AM
  #9  
Radfahrer1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
The uptown ex and uptown fleet do not have lights, and i believe the uptown fleet is low step only.

As far as the differences, the other difference not mentioned by @ChicagoDan is that the downtown models are all 700c wheels vs the 26 of the uptown 8.

If you need lights, get the uptown 8, if not, the downtown 8 is fine. I personally will never go back to battery lights.

- Andy
Thanks! One last question: of size. Unfortunately I have to order it before getting to try it out. I'm 5'11" (33" inseam). From what I gather, I'm right in between the Medium (19.5) and the large (21.5), which happened when I bought my last hybrid as well. The larger one always feels a bit too large, and the salespeople always talk me into taking the medium, though at the end of the day I always feel a bit cramped on the medium...
Radfahrer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 07:07 AM
  #10  
ChicagoDan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 58

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I don't remember whether mine is a medium or a large, but it feels just right to me. Since my bike is at the train station, I can look to see when I get back to it this evening (assuming you can wait that long to order it).
ChicagoDan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 08:07 AM
  #11  
ChicagoDan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 58

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just looked a little closer because this conversation made me curious. First, I confirmed with Performance that I have a medium frame.

That investigation also revealed I have a 2014, not a 2015. If you look at Breezer's specifications on their site, the 2014 does not have a full chain guard. The pictures on Performance's site do, and my bike does.

Looking at the decals on the top tube and the down tube, mine match the 2014 model. So I guess the total difference between the 2014 and the 2015 is the paint color, a couple of decals and a hundred or so dollars. I did get the bike I paid for, though.




2015:

2014:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
31-3463-BLU-SIDE.JPG (67.3 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg
31-1858-SIL-SIDE.JPG (61.8 KB, 205 views)
ChicagoDan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 08:16 AM
  #12  
Radfahrer1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ChicagoDan View Post
I just looked a little closer because this conversation made me curious. First, I confirmed with Performance that I have a medium frame.

That investigation also revealed I have a 2014, not a 2015. If you look at Breezer's specifications on their site, the 2014 does not have a full chain guard. The pictures on Performance's site do, and my bike does.

Looking at the decals on the top tube and the down tube, mine match the 2014 model. So I guess the total difference between the 2014 and the 2015 is the paint color, a couple of decals and a hundred or so dollars. I did get the bike I paid for, though.




2015:

2014:
Thanks for the clarification. How tall are you?
Radfahrer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 08:31 AM
  #13  
ChicagoDan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 58

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5'-10" tall with a 31" inseam.
ChicagoDan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 12:20 PM
  #14  
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 2,267

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am 6'5 with 34 inch pant length and my uptown is the x-large 23.5. It fits me perfectly. On a 19.5 inch (medium) frame, are you getting proper leg extension? If your knees come up too high, it's not good for them, and it means you are on a frame that is not big enough. I would definitely prefer my bike to be a bit tall vs too small anyday. My old cruiser was 19 inch, and i had to stand to get full extension. When i test rode the one i have now, my legs were like "weeee freedommmm!!!".

The 2014 bike archive is strange. No actual photos of the town models. I know they had an infinity, but it doesn't show one. I will inquire about that next chance i get. They may be shuffling servers or something.

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 02:54 PM
  #15  
Radfahrer1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
I am 6'5 with 34 inch pant length and my uptown is the x-large 23.5. It fits me perfectly. On a 19.5 inch (medium) frame, are you getting proper leg extension? If your knees come up too high, it's not good for them, and it means you are on a frame that is not big enough. I would definitely prefer my bike to be a bit tall vs too small anyday. My old cruiser was 19 inch, and i had to stand to get full extension. When i test rode the one i have now, my legs were like "weeee freedommmm!!!".

The 2014 bike archive is strange. No actual photos of the town models. I know they had an infinity, but it doesn't show one. I will inquire about that next chance i get. They may be shuffling servers or something.

- Andy
Thanks again! I ordered it today (went with the larger one). Here is where I found it (good price too).
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...08_-1___400867
Thanks to both you and ChicagoDan for your input!
Scott
Radfahrer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 12:18 PM
  #16  
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 2,267

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sweet! One suggestion: get softer brake pads if you can. The tektro stock pads are very hard on the rims. I just had my pads changed to softer and boy what a difference! They are "stickier" too, which means you can modulate braking force way better. I've yet to need to jam the brakes on because they modulate so effectively! Harder pads require more braking force to get slowed, which wears the rim faster & less overall control. It's all most like a different bike now!

Also, glad I could help!

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-15, 07:24 AM
  #17  
Radfahrer1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
Sweet! One suggestion: get softer brake pads if you can. The tektro stock pads are very hard on the rims. I just had my pads changed to softer and boy what a difference! They are "stickier" too, which means you can modulate braking force way better. I've yet to need to jam the brakes on because they modulate so effectively! Harder pads require more braking force to get slowed, which wears the rim faster & less overall control. It's all most like a different bike now!

Also, glad I could help!

- Andy
Great, thanks for the suggestion--and the help!
All the best, Scott
Radfahrer1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 10:45 AM
  #18  
GovernorSilver
Senior Member
 
GovernorSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,221

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
Sweet! One suggestion: get softer brake pads if you can. The tektro stock pads are very hard on the rims. I just had my pads changed to softer and boy what a difference! They are "stickier" too, which means you can modulate braking force way better. I've yet to need to jam the brakes on because they modulate so effectively! Harder pads require more braking force to get slowed, which wears the rim faster & less overall control. It's all most like a different bike now!
- Andy
Another Breezer Uptown 8 (most likely a 2014 model - it's got the top tube logo) owner here. Thanks for the suggestion. I live in a hilly neighborhood and have been concerned about wearing out the brakes, because the hill is fairly steep in some places and I have to watch out for cars, pedestrians, dogs, cats, etc. wandering in front of me as I coast down. I've tried using just the front vs just the rear to modulate my speed while riding down the hill but I guess I should just use both.

How do you fellow Uptown 8 owners lock your bikes? I'm thinking of using the frame lock for the rear wheel and the U-lock for the front and frame.
GovernorSilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 11:03 AM
  #19  
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable
 
TransitBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newtown, PA
Posts: 2,267

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity NOS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver View Post
Another Breezer Uptown 8 (most likely a 2014 model - it's got the top tube logo) owner here. Thanks for the suggestion. I live in a hilly neighborhood and have been concerned about wearing out the brakes, because the hill is fairly steep in some places and I have to watch out for cars, pedestrians, dogs, cats, etc. wandering in front of me as I coast down. I've tried using just the front vs just the rear to modulate my speed while riding down the hill but I guess I should just use both.

How do you fellow Uptown 8 owners lock your bikes? I'm thinking of using the frame lock for the rear wheel and the U-lock for the front and frame.
Mine does not have the frame lock, but I only lock it to itself with the u lock if nothing else is available. Otherwise I lock it to a sturdy fixed object. I'm definitely in the market for frame lock...

- Andy
TransitBiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 05:39 AM
  #20  
GovernorSilver
Senior Member
 
GovernorSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,221

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
Mine does not have the frame lock, but I only lock it to itself with the u lock if nothing else is available. Otherwise I lock it to a sturdy fixed object. I'm definitely in the market for frame lock...

- Andy

As it turns out, my U-lock is not wide enough to go around both the frame and a wheel (front or rear), so I just use the U-lock on the frame and use the frame lock to lock up the rear wheel. The U-lock came with a mounting bracket. First I tried the top tube but because I'm a beginning cyclist (learned to ride just 3 weeks ago), I hit one of the bracket screws with my knee and thus the knee was stabbed and bleeding. I now have the U-lock mounted on the seat tube.

The shop that sold me my Uptown 8 is doing a bike maintenance class this Thursday. I'll ask them if the lights are removable. It would be be good to know if I ever need to leave my bike locked somewhere for more than a couple of hours.

Other than that, it seems to ride fine. I took it on a 23.65 mile ride yesterday.
GovernorSilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-15, 03:13 PM
  #21  
GovernorSilver
Senior Member
 
GovernorSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington DC Metro Area
Posts: 1,221

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Took my Uptown 8 (must be some weird 2014-2015 in-between model - has top tube logo like the 2014 but like the 2015 color is darker and the chain guard encloses the bottom of the chain) to the bike shop the other evening for a bike maintenance class. During the class, the mechanic adjusted the brakes and brake handle cables. It made a noticeable difference - I now have an easier time modulating my speed on descents smoothly. He also showed me the bottom panel of the chain guard that I can unscrew to be able to lube the chain - only 3 screws on that panel.
GovernorSilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 06:59 PM
  #22  
mwdilday
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by TransitBiker View Post
The uptown ex and uptown fleet do not have lights, and i believe the uptown fleet is low step only.

As far as the differences, the other difference not mentioned by @ChicagoDan is that the downtown models are all 700c wheels vs the 26 of the uptown 8.

If you need lights, get the uptown 8, if not, the downtown 8 is fine. I personally will never go back to battery lights.

- Andy
If not battery lights what do you use?
mwdilday is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 06:47 AM
  #23  
DiegoFrogs
Senior Member
 
DiegoFrogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 2,323

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; '90s Helkama "Trekking"; 1984 Ross MTB (in USA)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Many of the Breezer city bikes come with lights driven by a dynamo hub in the front wheel. This can be a really nice feature, since you no longer have to worry about batteries.
DiegoFrogs is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service