Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"Get out of the road you idiot!" AKA Crazy stuff people yell at you

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

"Get out of the road you idiot!" AKA Crazy stuff people yell at you

Old 08-09-15, 09:37 AM
  #151  
b_twill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple noteworthy stories...At a light waiting to turn left, a van pulls up next to me and the driver leans out and asks what kind of gas mileage I get. I replied pretty good, especially after Taco Bell. They were still laughing as they took off.
Just a few weeks ago, had a guy on his riding lawn mower look angerly at me and pointed at me and then at the non-motorized MUP that he was driving on. I know the irony of the situation was totally missed on him.
b_twill is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 09:58 AM
  #152  
Onyxaxe
Senior Member
 
Onyxaxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see.

I had a guy lay into his horn for half a block and ask me why I wasn't in the bike lane when I was turning left. This was a white guy in a black neighborhood where drunks and hobos cross wherever the hell they want. He'll probably run someone over next week

I had two fat college girls laugh at me when I couldn't get my bike going due to a dropped chain when the light turned green. I had to walk behind them for 2 blocks to get to the bike shop. Needless to say they stopped laughing the second I walked up behind them.
Onyxaxe is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 01:13 PM
  #153  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,037
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Onyxaxe View Post
...
I had two fat college girls laugh at me when I couldn't get my bike going due to a dropped chain when the light turned green. I had to walk behind them for 2 blocks to get to the bike shop. Needless to say they stopped laughing the second I walked up behind them.
When your bike breaks down, you can still go somewhere. When your car breaks down, you're stuck.
Daniel4 is offline  
Old 08-14-15, 02:24 PM
  #154  
Ubermich
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NTX
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one didn't happen on the road, but it did make my day:

Last week I was on my way home. It was about 108*F and I had completed about 9 of my 11 mile trip. I could feel a little loopiness so I pulled in to the kwik-e-mart to enjoy some cold water and AC for a minute. Just as I was putting my helmet back on to finish up the trip another guy came in and gave the typical "Hot out there, huh!?" I usually try my best to keep my Mr. Snark safely caged away from these Captain Obvious types, so I just nodded and pretended to still be out of breath. Then he followed up,
"Yeah... but I bet you're having fun out there! Stay safe!"

Totally made my day and fueled me for the rest of the trip.
Ubermich is offline  
Old 08-14-15, 03:24 PM
  #155  
PatrickGSR94
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Posts: 7,428

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few months back I was on a road heading home that has 3 lanes with center turn lane, but it's still totally undeveloped along the entire stretch, with zero turns anywhere for over a mile. People readily pass me in the center turn lane without any problems.

This one day a couple old guys in a plumbing company beat up old work van paced me in the turn lane, while the driver yelled something about how I should be on the other side of the road, facing traffic; all the while holding up other traffic behind him who wanted to pass. I was flabbergasted that he would suggest such nonsense. I replied something between breaths about how that is illegal and highly dangerous. He went on up ahead.

When I came to the light I pulled up beside him and said "you need to review state laws, which say bicyclists must ride WITH traffic". He made some excuses about awww well in his day he was taught to ride a bike facing traffic! Seems BS because I've seen some of those 50's bicycle instructional videos that clearly say to always ride WITH traffic.

Anyway he took off with nothing further to say.

Another time at that same light, I went through the light and then shortly after, a pickup with a big trailer passes me in the left lane (road changes to 5 lanes after the light), with the passenger hanging out the window yelling "GET THE EFF OFFA THE ROAD!!!!" to which I shouted simply "HAVE A NICE DAY!!"
PatrickGSR94 is offline  
Old 08-14-15, 03:42 PM
  #156  
Walter S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA. USA
Posts: 3,830

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
A few months back I was on a road heading home that has 3 lanes with center turn lane, but it's still totally undeveloped along the entire stretch, with zero turns anywhere for over a mile. People readily pass me in the center turn lane without any problems.

This one day a couple old guys in a plumbing company beat up old work van paced me in the turn lane, while the driver yelled something about how I should be on the other side of the road, facing traffic; all the while holding up other traffic behind him who wanted to pass. I was flabbergasted that he would suggest such nonsense. I replied something between breaths about how that is illegal and highly dangerous. He went on up ahead.

When I came to the light I pulled up beside him and said "you need to review state laws, which say bicyclists must ride WITH traffic". He made some excuses about awww well in his day he was taught to ride a bike facing traffic! Seems BS because I've seen some of those 50's bicycle instructional videos that clearly say to always ride WITH traffic.

Anyway he took off with nothing further to say.

Another time at that same light, I went through the light and then shortly after, a pickup with a big trailer passes me in the left lane (road changes to 5 lanes after the light), with the passenger hanging out the window yelling "GET THE EFF OFFA THE ROAD!!!!" to which I shouted simply "HAVE A NICE DAY!!"
Sounds like he is confused about biking vs walking.
Walter S is offline  
Old 08-16-15, 07:21 AM
  #157  
yamsyamsyams
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was commuting to work one morning on a relatively quiet street in the commercial district, with bike lanes on either side of the road. Was riding in the bike lane, enjoying the quiet morning, when a white pickup blazes by and lays on the horn next to me. I look at the rear windshield and the dude is also waving me the finger.

Got in to work 5 minutes later and a coworker comes up to me and says, "hey did you see me? I gave you a friendly honk and a wave from my car."

Smh.
yamsyamsyams is offline  
Old 08-17-15, 07:28 AM
  #158  
valleyrider
Senior Member
 
valleyrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 78

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip Elite, *mart Mongoose XR-150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams View Post
Got in to work 5 minutes later and a coworker comes up to me and says, "hey did you see me? I gave you a friendly honk and a wave from my car."
Smh.
Gotta love coworkers...
valleyrider is offline  
Old 08-17-15, 09:38 AM
  #159  
scroca
commuter and barbarian
 
scroca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Potomac, MT, USA
Posts: 2,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
... He made some excuses about awww well in his day he was taught to ride a bike facing traffic! Seems BS because I've seen some of those 50's bicycle instructional videos that clearly say to always ride WITH traffic...
I think a lot of mothers tell their children to ride facing traffic. I hope it's because they don't know better.
scroca is offline  
Old 08-17-15, 11:12 AM
  #160  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,872

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by b_twill View Post
...a van pulls up next to me and the driver leans out and asks what kind of gas mileage I get...
I have this sticker on every bike. Have gotten many comments regarding it. Also have T-Shirts and patches with same. Works on my longboard and skates too as well as just walking.



It does make people THINK. Especially when I tell them I have not owned a car since 1989 and suggest they calculate how much one car costs them every decade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
o.jpg (12.8 KB, 17 views)
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 08-17-15, 12:06 PM
  #161  
PatrickGSR94
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Posts: 7,428

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah but according to that you're still paying nine-tenths of a cent for.... something.

I want a $0.00 0/10 sticker.

When I tell people I'm up to $700 annual fuel savings they seem pretty amazed.
PatrickGSR94 is offline  
Old 09-13-15, 06:44 PM
  #162  
Shiloh253
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Shiloh253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Laramie, WY
Posts: 104

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I recently moved from a small town after finishing my AA to Laramie, WY where the university is, and jeebus the difference in bike infrastructure here is massive. It seems every street except for the main highway has a bike lane. Drivers are totally chill with cyclists, and they'll even let me pass if traffic's getting clogged up. Nobody's tried to intentionally hit me yet (something I encountered more than once in Riverton), the roads are smooth and easy to ride on, and it seems every single business has at least one bike rack.

AMAZING I SAY.
Shiloh253 is offline  
Old 09-29-15, 06:40 PM
  #163  
Kwert
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 12

Bikes: 1993 Miyata Triple Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to look like this




when I'm travelling to and from gigs, so I get a lot of stares, some honks and the occasional dumb comment yelled at me from the street. Oftentimes I hear people I approach when I'm coming to a stop say things about a "big blue balloon" hanging over my head.
Kwert is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mr,grumpy
BMX
10
08-01-16 08:05 PM
dailey_philly
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
3
08-23-06 07:17 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.