Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I watched a young woman on a motorcycle get tbone'd by a car on Friday

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I watched a young woman on a motorcycle get tbone'd by a car on Friday

Old 08-10-15, 12:59 PM
  #1  
Sunshine
Thread Starter
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,608

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
I watched a young woman on a motorcycle get tbone'd by a car on Friday

I was waiting to pull out of work(in my car) when couple hundred yards down, a motorcyclist going about 40 was slammed into by a car that was going about 15. The motorcycle had the right of way.
We have a MUP in front of my office and I hauled fast down the MUP to help since nobody had stopped right away.

The motorcyclist was really messed up but isn't paralyzed. I cant imagine the pain she is and will continue to be in.



Point of all this- the driver was texting and didn't see the motorcycle as they crossed over the road.
After everything was done and I was heading home, I thought about how much I ride in the streets. I know cyclists have a right to the road, but in the end, shaking your fist in anger over how you have a right to the road while lying on the ground after being hit by a car still means you lost. The bike will always lose when going up against a car.


Just ride smart and don't take chances.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 01:10 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
hopwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 62

Bikes: 1993 Giant Sedona ATX, 2015 Windsor Cliff 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great to remember. Sorry to hear about the motorcyclist. I ride both bikes and motorcycles and hate hearing stories such as this. But it's the reality. People in cars are paying less and less attention. Seems it should be an easy thing to disable the text capability on any phone based on its motion. Sad it might take something like that to circumvent personal responsibility.
hopwheels is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 01:27 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,788
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I was waiting to pull out of work(in my car) when couple hundred yards down, a motorcyclist going about 40 was slammed into by a car that was going about 15. The motorcycle had the right of way.
We have a MUP in front of my office and I hauled fast down the MUP to help since nobody had stopped right away.

The motorcyclist was really messed up but isn't paralyzed. I cant imagine the pain she is and will continue to be in.



Point of all this- the driver was texting and didn't see the motorcycle as they crossed over the road.
After everything was done and I was heading home, I thought about how much I ride in the streets. I know cyclists have a right to the road, but in the end, shaking your fist in anger over how you have a right to the road while lying on the ground after being hit by a car still means you lost. The bike will always lose when going up against a car.


Just ride smart and don't take chances.
Hang on, was the motorcyclist speeding? Did she realistically have time to brake or evade? I'm just not clear on what the lesson here is supposed to be. Ride smart and don't take chances? Was she taking chances? Because it sounds like someone acting appropriately got seriously injured by someone acting badly. Not sure what the shaking your fist thing has to do with it.
grolby is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 01:37 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 9,082
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,508 Times in 2,853 Posts
This recent accident here just makes you want to face-palm:

Investigators with the Colorado State Patrol said the driver of a Dodge Stratus lost control and ended up in the median facing the wrong way. The driver tried to make a U-turn to get back onto the highway but crossed into the path of a motorcycle going southbound in the right lane.

Motorcyclist Killed In Early Morning Crash On I-25 « CBS Denver
Shimagnolo is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 01:52 PM
  #5  
Sunshine
Thread Starter
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,608

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
The motorcyclist wasn't speeding and was totally following the law. She had no time to avoid being hit.

Just saying that even when following the laws and being safe, you are still incredibly vulnerable. Everyone who rides on roads is putting themselves out there without much actual protection. Yes a helmet and some flashing lights are good, but they are still very limited, so no need to take chances. I would imagine that most here have done something unsafe while commuting, where they look back and think 'well that wasn't smart'.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 03:14 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Phones in cars should be disabled by turning the Ignition on but that aint going to Happen .
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 07:24 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Every summer, I always contemplate getting a Honda scooter but then you start hearing all the motorcycle accidents on the radio just one each week. It’s a brutal world for the motorcyclist all over the country. Granted, there a ton of irresponsible bike riders out there but man when you hear about them, it’s always a serious accident.

In my small town we had two people last year that were killed and another guy’s injuries totaled over 1 million dollars!
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 08:31 PM
  #8  
On yer bike
 
Nightdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Shelbyville
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Phones in cars should be disabled by turning the Ignition on but that aint going to Happen .
That's a great idea though.
Nightdiver is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 11:25 PM
  #9  
The Freewheeler
 
the_freewheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ATL/CHI
Posts: 225

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
That's a great idea though.
But not realistic whatsoever because it would also mean that passengers become disconnected, or if you're riding in a taxi, etc.
the_freewheeler is offline  
Old 08-10-15, 11:36 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,201
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just ride smart and don't take chances.
And get creamed by an inattentive motorist. Seems riding smart and not taking chances doesn't always help.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 06:17 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Robert C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,248

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
And get creamed by an inattentive motorist. Seems riding smart and not taking chances doesn't always help.
I rode a motorcycle for my sole transportation, other than my bicycle, for about five years. I never had a problem. The reality is that most motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents (parking lot speed tip-overs and the like).

Fear is not the appropriate response, neither is carelessness. There is a middle path. Take the MSF class (it's the easiest way to get your endorsement anyways) and ride alert; but not scared.
Robert C is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 06:18 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NTX
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about ride smart, don't take chances, and assume every driver is trying to kill you?

The OP is exactly why I try to make eye contact with every driver at every intersection. Looking down? I'll cede the right of way. Because I'd rather be slow than dead.
Ubermich is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 06:58 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Posts: 7,391

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I think we need more details to be able to know what could have been done to avoid the situation. Did the motorist run a stop sign? Pull out from a side road while the motorcycle was on the main road?

It seems to me that getting hit by a car going 15 while going 10-15 or even 20 on a bicycle, you're going to fare better than getting hit while going 40 on a motorcycle. Getting knocked off a bicycle is one thing. Getting knocked off a motorcycle going highway speeds or even faster is far, far worse.
PatrickGSR94 is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 06:59 AM
  #14  
Let's Ride!
 
RidingMatthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Triad, NC USA
Posts: 2,569

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Phones in cars should be disabled by turning the Ignition on but that aint going to Happen .
I don't understand why they cant disable notification sounds at any speed over 13mph. I mean if you are still a passenger you could use your phone but I think many people are like Pavlov's dogs and the bell rings they pick up their phone. I read an article recently that stated that the only thing NO cell phone while driving laws has done is force people to hid it and take their eyes even farther from the road.
RidingMatthew is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 07:13 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Oakdale, CT
Posts: 173

Bikes: 1998 Specialized FSR 26", 1998 Trek Wade Boots Team Issue 2 XXL 20", 2001 Cortina DH Extreme 8 26", 1999 Sinister DNA (work in progress) 26", 2001 LeMond Zurich (work in progress) 700c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Phones in cars should be disabled by turning the Ignition on but that aint going to Happen .
...someone could theoretically amplify the signal from a phone jammer and either hardwire it into a car or better yet install it at an intersection. Then at least anyone using a phone within a certain proximity would be unable to do so. Of course you'd need an emergency button incase you needed to open up the signals for an emergency or accident. Just a matter of time. Pretty doable/hackable if you ask me.

(Of course I get 10% of your millions if you use my idea) :-p
EastCoastDHer is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 07:55 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mooresville, NC (Charlotte suburb)
Posts: 2,306

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bowermb
But not realistic whatsoever because it would also mean that passengers become disconnected, or if you're riding in a taxi, etc.
Exactly. And many phones are used for navigation too. If I get on a bus I can't use my phone?

I also hear about quite a few motorcycle accidents, many fatal. Without googling for stats, I would think motorcycle accidents would generally result in greater injury (compared to bicycles) due to speed and weight of the machine. Even in a slow fall to the side motorcycle accident, you've got a heavy bike on you. For me on a bicycle, my knee and maybe my hand are simply scratched.
mgw4jc is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 08:13 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 9,082
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,508 Times in 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by EastCoastDHer
...someone could theoretically amplify the signal from a phone jammer and either hardwire it into a car or better yet install it at an intersection.
Millions of jammers on the road?
Oh, hell no.
There is a much better solution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage
Most likely any existing car would need only a conductive layer in the glass to become a Faraday Cage.
Shimagnolo is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 08:17 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
PatrickGSR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis TN area
Posts: 7,391

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Disabling phones while car is moving simply will not work and will never fly, because passengers and all that. Plus I always use Google Maps navigation on every road trip I go on these days, with a phone cradle that attaches to my air vent.

I do wish for the days of iOS 3.x when I would plug my phone into my car and it would ask if I wanted to put the phone in Airplane mode, which I would almost always answer Yes. And then when I unplugged the phone when getting out of the car it would automatically come out of Airplane mode. IMHO that was a very easy solution to not being distracted by the phone while in the car. But ever since iOS 4 that quick and automatic solution went away. I know I could just swipe up and hit the Airplane button, but invariably I would forget to change it back when leaving the car or whatever. Having it automatic was a much easier way to do it.
PatrickGSR94 is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 09:02 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
hopwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 62

Bikes: 1993 Giant Sedona ATX, 2015 Windsor Cliff 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fear is not the appropriate response, neither is carelessness. There is a middle path. Take the MSF class (it's the easiest way to get your endorsement anyways) and ride alert; but not scared.
^This. And stay out of the death zone. Not always easy, but keeps you vigilant and always scanning ahead.
hopwheels is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 01:58 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Every summer, I always contemplate getting a Honda scooter but then you start hearing all the motorcycle accidents on the radio just one each week. It’s a brutal world for the motorcyclist all over the country. Granted, there a ton of irresponsible bike riders out there but man when you hear about them, it’s always a serious accident.

In my small town we had two people last year that were killed and another guy’s injuries totaled over 1 million dollars!
I ride a motorcycle and a bicycle... and I drive a car. (Not all at the same time.)

I see plenty more reports of car crashes with injuries and deaths than I do regarding bicycles and motorcycles. It does not make me question driving my car anymore than incidents involving bicycles or motorcycles make me want to stop utilizing either form of transportaion.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 02:45 PM
  #21  
Sunshine
Thread Starter
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,608

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I think we need more details to be able to know what could have been done to avoid the situation. Did the motorist run a stop sign? Pull out from a side road while the motorcycle was on the main road?

It seems to me that getting hit by a car going 15 while going 10-15 or even 20 on a bicycle, you're going to fare better than getting hit while going 40 on a motorcycle. Getting knocked off a bicycle is one thing. Getting knocked off a motorcycle going highway speeds or even faster is far, far worse.

Here is what could have helped avoid the situation- the driver should have been looking where they were driving. They needed to be aware and they weren't.
There is a 4 lane divided road and the motorcycle was heading north on that road going about 40(the speed limit is 45, but she would have been accelerating from a stoplight. The car came out of a parkinglot and was heading to some stores across the 4 lane road. The car just slammed into the motorcycle. I saw it from afar and a witness who was in the shopping center entrance watched it from probably 20' away.

The motorcycle clearly didn't see the car since it was a direct hit and the girl on the motorcycle didn't swerve or anything. A lot of cars go halfway into across the road and wait for the remaining traffic to clear before fully crossing, so its common for cars to be moving all the way across the street and for them to move part way and then stop.

I would agree that its much worse, typically, to be on a motorcycle going 40 and be hit vs a bike going 15 and be hit when the car is going 15.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 04:49 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
jfowler85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zinj
Posts: 1,826

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Here is what could have helped avoid the situation- the driver should have been looking where they were driving. They needed to be aware and they weren't.
There is a 4 lane divided road and the motorcycle was heading north on that road going about 40(the speed limit is 45, but she would have been accelerating from a stoplight. The car came out of a parkinglot and was heading to some stores across the 4 lane road. The car just slammed into the motorcycle. I saw it from afar and a witness who was in the shopping center entrance watched it from probably 20' away.

The motorcycle clearly didn't see the car since it was a direct hit and the girl on the motorcycle didn't swerve or anything. A lot of cars go halfway into across the road and wait for the remaining traffic to clear before fully crossing, so its common for cars to be moving all the way across the street and for them to move part way and then stop.

I would agree that its much worse, typically, to be on a motorcycle going 40 and be hit vs a bike going 15 and be hit when the car is going 15.
And when you are on a motorcycle assuming is your enemy, this motorcyclist should have known that. Had a buddy who bought an R6...I made him swear to me he would be a safe and trusted him when he gave me his word. Yeah right. He took the left/HOV lane when the rest were clogged and stopped (I-5 in Irvine); he assumed that the speed limit was ok despite everyone around him who was stopped, and also that no one would pull out in front of him.

He was wrong, and ended up on the ground. About had a heart attack when I got the call from the hospital...he was a very close friend and I was pissed off at him after I found out that he would be alright. Assume anything on a motorcycle, and you are dead.
jfowler85 is offline  
Old 08-11-15, 05:07 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Okefenokee Swamps.
Posts: 577

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
.............Point of all this- the driver was texting and didn't see the motorcycle as they crossed over the road.........
Just ride smart and don't take chances.
Texting!!! You need to report observation to the police who's handling the accident.
tjkoko is offline  
Old 08-14-15, 05:53 PM
  #24  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
First, reading stuff like this really pisses me off.
Second, sitting here, reflecting on the drivers that have either put me in harms way with their negligence.
Third, the several times I have been injured by these same negligent A-Holes...

Now with autonomous cars on the horizon I say Bring 'Em On.
fat biker is offline  
Old 08-14-15, 10:22 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
wrldtraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 118

Bikes: 1999 Raleigh 24 spd Mtn bike, 2019 Trek ALR Checkpoint touring bike, 2012 Scott Speedster S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
autonomous cars... I dread the day people drive autonomous cars, with the current new technology that provides aid in driving (driving too close, auto braking, rear view cameras on small cars, automatic lane adjustment, etc) I believe that those technology will create people who are not cautious when driving, create people who are not paying attention to the environment around them. Driving is a hazardous skill and you are sharing the roads with everyone who are on it, including motorbikes and bicycles, pedestrians, etc. so drive carefully, pay attention to everything around you, a motorbike and a bicycle is a tiny target, requires full attention to watch for them. Cell phones have no place in the car, turn them off, or tell a person that you are driving, and unable to contact them until you are fully stopped in a parking lot. Safety comes first.

I am weary of hearing that people get into accident because of "oh I did not see, i was looking down at a cell phone" I was trained to be a professional driver and know how to drive carefully. You want to drive, drive carefully and you will enjoy it more.

w
wrldtraveller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.