Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Where to find Soma San Marcos frame

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Where to find Soma San Marcos frame

Old 11-10-16, 03:36 PM
  #1  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where to find Soma San Marcos frame

Due to its upright geometry and aesthetics I've decided to go with Soma San Marcos frame for my new commute/weekend tourer bike.

I'm 5'6" with 81cm PBH. Based on my reading 51cm seems like my size.

I can't find a 51cm frame online. You guys have any suggestions for how could I source one of these? Does anybody know of a shop that has one of these available?

Thanks!
greppz is offline  
Old 11-10-16, 06:08 PM
  #2  
Mr IGH
afraid of whales
 
Mr IGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 4,306
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks as if Soma isn't sourcing them anymore. It's now on their website's archived list, and the Soma Store has only two sizes in stock, neither are 51cm:
Soma San Marcos Frame + Fork Set Tiburon Blue (Limited Stock)
Mr IGH is offline  
Old 11-10-16, 09:55 PM
  #3  
Hub Spanner
Senior Member
 
Hub Spanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California, USA
Posts: 113

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2014 Raleigh Sojourn, et al

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might try Rivendell. I think the San Marcos was a cooperative project.
Hub Spanner is offline  
Old 11-11-16, 12:46 AM
  #4  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 10,876

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 361 Posts
According to the Soma page it's out of production. Maybe start calling Soma dealers and see if anyone has one left.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 11-11-16, 11:16 AM
  #5  
AusTexMurf
Senior Member
 
AusTexMurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Austin, Texas
Posts: 919

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
A Very Nice Soma San Marcos built for a friend of mine at our neighborhood LBS, BikeA

A Very Nice Soma San Marcos built for a friend of mine at our neighborhood LBS, BikeAlot.
Austin, Tx
South Austin Bicycle Shop - Bikealotaustin.com
https://www.facebook.com/Bradbikealot/



AusTexMurf is offline  
Old 11-11-16, 12:32 PM
  #6  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a gorgeous build! Precisely how I'd want to setup if only I could find a frame
greppz is offline  
Old 11-11-16, 12:46 PM
  #7  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
According to the Soma page it's out of production. Maybe start calling Soma dealers and see if anyone has one left.
Called dealers in SF Bay area and Portland. No luck. Any ideas which other cities have the type of 'artisanal' bike stores that are likely to carry a special frame like San Marcos.
greppz is offline  
Old 11-11-16, 02:57 PM
  #8  
AusTexMurf
Senior Member
 
AusTexMurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Austin, Texas
Posts: 919

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Soma San Marcos Pearl Blue 51cm 650b Frameset

Brand: Soma
$829.99
Condition: New
SKU: 30-FRAM2392
Availability: Ships out in 1-2 business days
Soma San Marcos Pearl Blue 51cm 650b Frameset | Bikewagon.com
AusTexMurf is offline  
Old 11-11-16, 03:30 PM
  #9  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf View Post
Soma San Marcos Pearl Blue 51cm 650b Frameset

Brand: Soma
$829.99
Condition: New
SKU: 30-FRAM2392
Availability: Ships out in 1-2 business days
Soma San Marcos Pearl Blue 51cm 650b Frameset | Bikewagon.com

It's a bogus listing unfortunately. I had called them.
greppz is offline  
Old 11-12-16, 05:32 AM
  #10  
AusTexMurf
Senior Member
 
AusTexMurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Austin, Texas
Posts: 919

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by greppz View Post
It's a bogus listing unfortunately. I had called them.

Sorry to hear.
Talked to my friend Sean, the owner of the bike posted above, this afternoon. Ran in to him on his commute home. His San Marcos is indeed size 51cm. Absolutely loves this bike, this build. And he has many, very nice bikes. Sean said that the San Marcos frames are pretty much impossible to find. Apparently some have gone on EBay for around $1K frame only.
AusTexMurf is offline  
Old 11-12-16, 02:02 PM
  #11  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

If you buddy Sean ever wants to sell that bike, you know who's interested
greppz is offline  
Old 11-12-16, 03:33 PM
  #12  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 10,876

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by greppz View Post
Called dealers in SF Bay area and Portland. No luck. Any ideas which other cities have the type of 'artisanal' bike stores that are likely to carry a special frame like San Marcos.
Here in Sacramento, the Soma website shows several dealers. Soma's website lists The Bicycle Business as a dealer, but the last time I was there was 3 years ago, no idea what they might have today. At the time they had a Soma Minivelo and a few complete bikes. CBW is also listed
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 11-13-16, 03:10 PM
  #13  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 42,567

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7319 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 586 Posts
Merry Sales Imports of So SF is who had them made, SOMA is their Brand, if They sold all of them you have to look for used resales..


Your LBS can Apply for a Dealer's Account.. If they think it will be a strong seller ..

Like QBP the small Parts may make it worthwhile , the bikes Ordered as customers ask for them.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 04:39 AM
  #14  
irwin7638
Senior Member
 
irwin7638's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi.
Posts: 3,028

Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hub Spanner View Post
You might try Rivendell. I think the San Marcos was a cooperative project.
It was indeed, Grant Peterson designed it and Soma produced it with Tange Prestige and Infinity tubing. You might also look at Riv's Sam Hillborne. The Hillborne is the essentially the same bike made with Peterson designed "Silver" tubing. I have one and use it for everything from grocery runs, commuting and club rides.


Marc
irwin7638 is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 12:27 PM
  #15  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Here in Sacramento, the Soma website shows several dealers. Soma's website lists The Bicycle Business as a dealer, but the last time I was there was 3 years ago, no idea what they might have today. At the time they had a Soma Minivelo and a few complete bikes. CBW is also listed
Thanks! Left a message to Bicycle Business 3 days ago. No response.
greppz is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 12:38 PM
  #16  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Merry Sales Imports of So SF is who had them made, SOMA is their Brand, if They sold all of them you have to look for used resales..


Your LBS can Apply for a Dealer's Account.. If they think it will be a strong seller ..

Like QBP the small Parts may make it worthwhile , the bikes Ordered as customers ask for them.
Looking for a used bike seems like the only option at this point. In the meantime I'm going to keep an eye on eBay.
greppz is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 12:50 PM
  #17  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
It was indeed, Grant Peterson designed it and Soma produced it with Tange Prestige and Infinity tubing. You might also look at Riv's Sam Hillborne. The Hillborne is the essentially the same bike made with Peterson designed "Silver" tubing. I have one and use it for everything from grocery runs, commuting and club rides.


Marc
From what I gather Sam Hillborne is slightly heavier that San Marcos. My commute is 15 miles, hence I'm favoring lighter of the frames. Also, SH is somewhat above my budget (that said, one day I do want to own a Rev, likely SH. I just need to switch to 6 packs as opposed to $20-30 craft beer bottles I've been buying lately )

I'm also trying to explore what other frames are in the market that have relaxed geometry similar to San Marcos.
greppz is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 12:53 PM
  #18  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
It was indeed, Grant Peterson designed it and Soma produced it with Tange Prestige and Infinity tubing. You might also look at Riv's Sam Hillborne. The Hillborne is the essentially the same bike made with Peterson designed "Silver" tubing. I have one and use it for everything from grocery runs, commuting and club rides.


Marc
Your handlebar setup makes perfect sense! Leaned over peddling 80% of the times, relax hands 20% of the times, while having access to brakes all the time. Love it.
greppz is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 01:43 PM
  #19  
irwin7638
Senior Member
 
irwin7638's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi.
Posts: 3,028

Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by greppz View Post
From what I gather Sam Hillborne is slightly heavier that San Marcos. My commute is 15 miles, hence I'm favoring lighter of the frames. Also, SH is somewhat above my budget (that said, one day I do want to own a Rev, likely SH. I just need to switch to 6 packs as opposed to $20-30 craft beer bottles I've been buying lately )

I'm also trying to explore what other frames are in the market that have relaxed geometry similar to San Marcos.
I doubt the frame is more than 8 oz. heavier. Mine, with the fenders and rack,
Weighed 24.5 when I built it. Those handlebars are wonderful, they provide a huge range of postures.

Marc
irwin7638 is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 02:31 PM
  #20  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 10,876

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 361 Posts
Have you called Soma to ask if they know what shops might have bought one? There can't have been very many of them in that size to begin with.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 02:50 PM
  #21  
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Posts: 8,722
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I would call American Cyclery in SF I think they are owned by the same people who own Soma. I was saving up to mail-order a Soma from them when I got a local deal I couldn't refuse after all.
HardyWeinberg is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 04:08 PM
  #22  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Have you called Soma to ask if they know what shops might have bought one? There can't have been very many of them in that size to begin with.
I contacted them. They said dealers get their stuff via distributors. Seems like they don't know which dealers bought these frames.
greppz is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 04:12 PM
  #23  
greppz
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
I would call American Cyclery in SF I think they are owned by the same people who own Soma. I was saving up to mail-order a Soma from them when I got a local deal I couldn't refuse after all.
Actually last week I stopped by at American Cyclery. I'm so glad I did! Learned a lot speaking with Bradley. He was amazingly knowledgeable and courteous. However, they didn't have any San Marcos frames.

I did get to see a cool bike built using the revised Stanyan frame (apparently this frame is yet to be released)
greppz is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 04:54 PM
  #24  
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Posts: 8,722
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Cool! I test rode a smoothie and a stanyan there.
HardyWeinberg is offline  
Old 11-14-16, 05:54 PM
  #25  
AusTexMurf
Senior Member
 
AusTexMurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Austin, Texas
Posts: 919

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Saw a sweet new custom build Stanyan at another Austin LBS, East Side Pedal Pushers. I wasn't aware that frame was being revised. I guess the one I saw was the previous edition. Beautiful, comfortable looking bike, though.
AusTexMurf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.