Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Such hostility!

Reply

Old 12-15-17, 11:34 AM
  #26  
ptempel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersry the beautiful Garden State
Posts: 1,814

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
I'm sure that there are guys like this in many places. Its truly a skill to learn to let go and let his anger not hook you into also getting angry. I have yet to master that. You have every right to take as much of the left lane for whatever reason (debris, pothole, ice, etc). This motorist will just have to go around you and use the next lane. Too bad. If he can't handle a simple pass without blowing up, then I wouldn't want to be his wife.
ptempel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 11:37 AM
  #27  
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 7,171

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
I'm sure that there are guys like this in many places. Its truly a skill to learn to let go and let his anger not hook you into also getting angry. I have yet to master that. You have every right to take as much of the left lane for whatever reason (debris, pothole, ice, etc). This motorist will just have to go around you and use the next lane. Too bad. If he can't handle a simple pass without blowing up, then I wouldn't want to be his wife.
Maybe he's gay, bi or non-binary. Just saying that we shouldn't jump to conclusions.
acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 11:57 AM
  #28  
Reynolds 
Passista
 
Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,320

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
While what that driver did was very bad, the real dangerous ones are the distracted IMO.
Reynolds is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 12:06 PM
  #29  
ptempel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersry the beautiful Garden State
Posts: 1,814

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Maybe he's gay, bi or non-binary. Just saying that we shouldn't jump to conclusions.
Significnt other, then?
ptempel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 12:15 PM
  #30  
RidingMatthew 
Let's Ride!
 
RidingMatthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Winston Salem, NC USA
Posts: 1,906

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX--2016 Cervelo R2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
While what that driver did was very bad, the real dangerous ones are the distracted IMO.
I would agree with this. the ones that don't see you at all are the really scary ones. at least he saw you and seemed to have a coronary because you were there.

Originally Posted by mcours2006 View Post
Coming home last night I was stopped at a light. I was in the middle of the lane as I normally do at a light because I don't want anyone to squeeze me off at the intersection. This guy behind me yells out something rude, like get off the road. I ignored him. The light turned green and I go. This is what he does as he passes me closely:
Attachment 592315
I didn't notice the hand gesture at the time. Just saw it when I review the video.

The he proceeds to cut in front of me closely:
Attachment 592316



Well, I caught up to him in the next red light. He was in the centre lane and I in the right where a bike lane had just started. I asked him what his problem was with me. He didn't roll down the window. He was muttering something, obviously inaudible to me. Then I just laid into him, loud enough that I'm sure he heard me through his glass. Still nothing. Doesn't acknowledge. WTF?

As far as I know I pissed him off just because I was on the road and he had to wait an extra three seconds to be in front of me.

Thanks for reading.
I am glad you are okay other than this guys rudeness.
what kind of camera do you use? good pictures and evidence if you needed it.
__________________
"Work to eat. Eat to live. Live to bike. Bike to work." --Anonymous ||| "late & alive > early & dead." ~Steely Dan
RidingMatthew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 12:24 PM
  #31  
mcours2006
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,094

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew View Post
I am glad you are okay other than this guys rudeness.
what kind of camera do you use? good pictures and evidence if you needed it.
It's this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Ion-1011L-Lit.../dp/B00FZ3JTGI

And I can't believe how much the price has come down.

The only thing is that the battery doesn't last as long as I would like, and even shorter when it's cold out. It takes 1080p at 30 fps, which is where I got the screen capture.
mcours2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 12:34 PM
  #32  
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,071

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
A couple days ago I encountered a car parked in my bike lane with the flashers on. I had previously photographed the car there on 3 separate occasions. The last time I happened to see a campus parking enforcement officer, and directed his attention to the car. A ticket was issued.
This time the guy was coming out of the building as I was taking my phone out. Here was our exchange:
Him: "Go ahead and take a picture of me!"
Me: I don't have to; I already have several of you. You know you can get a ticket for blocking a bike lane?"
Him: **** you!"
I waited while he took his sweet time getting into the car and then making a "U"-turn. I wish I had *that* on camera.
It has since come to my attention that all the reports of cars in the bike lane that I submit are simply "catalogued"... nothing comes out of them. Sad.
Steve
sweeks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 01:47 PM
  #33  
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,007
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
Significnt other, then?
Probably lives in his mother’s basement.
alan s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 01:50 PM
  #34  
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 7,171

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Originally Posted by sweeks View Post
A couple days ago I encountered a car parked in my bike lane with the flashers on. I had previously photographed the car there on 3 separate occasions. The last time I happened to see a campus parking enforcement officer, and directed his attention to the car. A ticket was issued.
This time the guy was coming out of the building as I was taking my phone out. Here was our exchange:
Him: "Go ahead and take a picture of me!"
Me: I don't have to; I already have several of you. You know you can get a ticket for blocking a bike lane?"
Him: **** you!"
I waited while he took his sweet time getting into the car and then making a "U"-turn. I wish I had *that* on camera.
It has since come to my attention that all the reports of cars in the bike lane that I submit are simply "catalogued"... nothing comes out of them. Sad.
Steve
Do we really need to stoop to their level? Taking pictures of motorists? ... it doesn't make the situation any better for cyclists. Please note that this is different than videos of drivers endangering cyclists.

But blocking a cycle lane? Do you have a lot of spare time?

Also, it's not your bike lane, FWIW.
acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 02:08 PM
  #35  
alan s 
Senior Member
 
alan s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 6,007
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Do we really need to stoop to their level? Taking pictures of motorists? ... it doesn't make the situation any better for cyclists. Please note that this is different than videos of drivers endangering cyclists.

But blocking a cycle lane? Do you have a lot of spare time?

Also, it's not your bike lane, FWIW.
The best approach is to call the police or flag down a passing police car and have them issue a ticket. If you wait patiently and keep calling, eventually you will succeed. Hopefully the person won’t have come back by the time the police show up. If they do come back, you can yell at them. Hopefully it won’t eacalate too often, but be prepared to fight or flee if it does. Your fellow cyclists will definitely appreciate your efforts. Please post your stories here and share any videos.
alan s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 02:31 PM
  #36  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 488

Bikes: 82/82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 89 Basso PR

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Not saying you have to pull to the right at a light, but aren't you worried about being hit from behind? When riding a motorcycle, you are always supposed to keep an eye on your mirrors if nobody is stopped behind you at a light.

Originally Posted by skipjacks
In a car one time I had a guy screaming at me because I stopped for a rail road crossing (with gate down and an actual train coming).

He suddenly got REAL apologetic and starting yammering something about his wife being a jerk to him that morning...blah blah blah. I rolled up the window and drove off. Never did call the cops but I bet that guy was pissing his pants all day waiting for the cops to show up.
I've dealt with a few morons like that over the years. Once had a guy get out of an SUV and start running at my car (this was at a traffic light, and I saw it coming, so I just left some room and drove right around him, laughing). He was mad because, as his wife driving their giant SUV was coming up to pass me in the right lane, I moved to the right to allow her to pass in the proper lane. Her reaction was to continue barreling along, pull further to the right and pass me on the shoulder. 10 out of 10 driving right there.

Also had some local firefighter with a basic red light on his dash try to get me to pull over for him, and then freak out when I wouldn't move, and start following me around. There is a police station really close to where I was living at the time, I so just pulled in there and the guy took off.

Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I find that most humans have miserable capitalistic existences and that's what I usually attribute such rudeness too.

I can't expect everyone to have such an enlightened existence that I have been fortunate enough to have had.

Once I realised that, life became much easier and **** like this rolls off my back and down to the peasantry.
Wow, really? Not everyone has a rich daddy to make life easy for them. You realize that, right?


Originally Posted by acudfast7
Also, it's not your bike lane, FWIW.
He clearly meant "my" bike lane, as in the lane he regularly uses to commute. It's not HIS writing, it's YOUR reading comprehension...
robertorolfo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 02:36 PM
  #37  
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 7,171

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post

Wow, really? Not everyone has a rich daddy to make life easy for them. You realize that, right?
Not sure what this indicates ... my family was what would be considered "working poor" nowadays ... blue-collar wage labour. Anyway, what a rich daddy have to do with it?

Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post

He clearly meant "my" bike lane, as in the lane he regularly uses to commute. It's not HIS writing, it's YOUR reading comprehension...
Simply type what you mean ... no need for inference.

Last edited by acidfast7; 12-15-17 at 03:08 PM.
acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 03:20 PM
  #38  
1989Pre 
Standard Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,717
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
It sounds to me that you're lucky that he didn't get out of the car. He probably figured you weren't worth going to jail over. I'm glad he had the self-restraint to just keep it verbal. Stay to the right.
1989Pre is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 03:43 PM
  #39  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 13,122

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Stopped at a light? Come on guys, there's nothing wrong with being in the middle of the lane at a light and a few good reasons to not get over on the curb. He'll move back over soon enough.
wphamilton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 03:45 PM
  #40  
ThermionicScott 
Hammer and tongs
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 17,141

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Originally Posted by sweeks View Post
A couple days ago I encountered a car parked in my bike lane with the flashers on. I had previously photographed the car there on 3 separate occasions. The last time I happened to see a campus parking enforcement officer, and directed his attention to the car. A ticket was issued.
This time the guy was coming out of the building as I was taking my phone out. Here was our exchange:
Him: "Go ahead and take a picture of me!"
Me: I don't have to; I already have several of you. You know you can get a ticket for blocking a bike lane?"
Him: **** you!"
I waited while he took his sweet time getting into the car and then making a "U"-turn. I wish I had *that* on camera.
It has since come to my attention that all the reports of cars in the bike lane that I submit are simply "catalogued"... nothing comes out of them. Sad.
Steve
When it happens, I always wish I had some "I'm a dumbass who parks in bike lanes" bumper stickers with me, but I never do.
__________________
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 04:04 PM
  #41  
mcours2006
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,094

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
Not saying you have to pull to the right at a light, but aren't you worried about being hit from behind? When riding a motorcycle, you are always supposed to keep an eye on your mirrors if nobody is stopped behind you at a light.
There's always that chance, of course, but I feel that if I pull to the right it'll be more difficult for me to cross the intersection and then merge back into traffic. This way I'll take the lane while crossing the intersection (and if you want to debate the merits of this practice, please go to A&S). I'll move over to the right if the lane is wide enough, otherwise I will continue to ride right of centre.
mcours2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 04:23 PM
  #42  
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 7,171

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
I have a lot of dedicated bike lanes where I live, but they have bus stops and taxi stands in them. Also, whitemanvans and random people stop in them. I'm not going to worked up over it. Not worth the effort, we've got other **** to worry about. It's to dense here to really care to be honest and everyone is pretty good about sharing the space so why get bent out of shape.
acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 05:00 PM
  #43  
GailT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 1989Pre View Post
It sounds to me that you're lucky that he didn't get out of the car. He probably figured you weren't worth going to jail over. I'm glad he had the self-restraint to just keep it verbal. Stay to the right.

Why do people who hate cyclists post on this forum? Maybe just a troll. Reread the original post - the driver passed him close and then cut him off. You think that shows "self-restaint". I would have reported the driver to the police.
GailT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 05:00 PM
  #44  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 1,646

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
I find that most humans have miserable capitalistic existences and that's what I usually attribute such rudeness too.

I can't expect everyone to have such an enlightened existence that I have been fortunate enough to have had.

Once I realised that, life became much easier and **** like this rolls off my back and down to the peasantry.
in my best mind i do this..... usually i am not in my best mind.
52telecaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 05:04 PM
  #45  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 1,646

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, 81 miyata 912 and 86 miyata 312.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
Serenity Prayer, my friend. Can you change the driver? No. The road condition? No. Your attitude, your equipment, where and how you ride? Yes! Wisdom to know the difference.
you can't immediately change the driver but it doesnt hurt to let him know how you feel. makes me feel better some days.
52telecaster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 05:55 PM
  #46  
mcours2006
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,094

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Originally Posted by GailT View Post
Why do people who hate cyclists post on this forum? Maybe just a troll. Reread the original post - the driver passed him close and then cut him off. You think that shows "self-restaint". I would have reported the driver to the police.
The police wouldn't have done anything...unless, of course, it's a crime to flash someone the finger and then punish pass them. It's just bad behaviour; it's not a crime.
mcours2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 06:36 PM
  #47  
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,071

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Do we really need to stoop to their level? Taking pictures of motorists?
Also, it's not your bike lane, FWIW.
1) Documenting a violation of Chicago Municipal Code is not on the same level as the violation. No stooping involved.

2) OK, that's true... I don't *own* it, but I'm the one at that particular moment who has the right to be there. I'm not complaining about someone who pulls into the bike lane to drop someone off, or a bus, maintenance vehicle, etc. This was someone parking and leaving the vehicle for an extended time. I probably don't (*shouldn't*) have to explain the safety issues which are the basis for the reason it's illegal to park in the bike lane.
Steve
sweeks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 06:42 PM
  #48  
baldilocks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 300

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite ,Schwinn Mesa, Others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I struggle with this subject. My belief is unpopular. I feel if I can't do the speed limit, I need to be on the right side of the road. I also use some sidewalks. No one is walking on them. My bike of choice is a mountain bike. So it doesn't matter if road sucks. Unlike bikes, people driving are often running late. They all believe they can make it up by speeding. Then they roll up on you. You are keeping them from getting to work on time, getting there kids to school on time and so on. No wonder we are all such idiots. I guess I believe I don't have the right to impede the flow of traffic. I also believe cyclist should ride single file when there is traffic. Especially when there is only one lane going each way. I struggle when cyclist are riding next to each other (blocking traffic) having conversations. If they aren't slightly winded, maybe they are going to slow. Save your talk for the coffee shop. I do my best to keep people in cars from hating me (us). Well I told you my belief was unpopular, but I enjoy my commute almost every day.
baldilocks is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 07:03 PM
  #49  
mcours2006
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mcours2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,094

Bikes: Giant Rapid, Bianchi Advantage, Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Gardin Quatro, Norco Threshold, Raleigh Serengheti MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Ride your bike the way want and feel safe doing. No right or wrong way to do it. All I can tell you is that on my 20-km commute, there is a total of about 6 km that is a 4-lane road (50 km/h limit) where it causes me some stress. I used cars passing me quite close a few times a week when I'd ride near the edge. I've moved further and further out to the right tire track, or the passenger position. Cars are changing lanes to pass me. I am not delaying their arrival anywhere. They change lanes early enough. So based on my own experience I feel safer being further out. But YMMV.
mcours2006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-17, 08:16 PM
  #50  
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 7,171

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Originally Posted by sweeks View Post
1) Documenting a violation of Chicago Municipal Code is not on the same level as the violation. No stooping involved.

2) OK, that's true... I don't *own* it, but I'm the one at that particular moment who has the right to be there. I'm not complaining about someone who pulls into the bike lane to drop someone off, or a bus, maintenance vehicle, etc. This was someone parking and leaving the vehicle for an extended time. I probably don't (*shouldn't*) have to explain the safety issues which are the basis for the reason it's illegal to park in the bike lane.
Steve
I just think that's it's a tiny infraction an not worth my time to contact and enforcement officer. There must be 10 offences each time I go into/leave work. Maybe you have more time than I?
acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service