Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 03-29-18, 12:59 PM
  #626  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 979

Bikes: 82/82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 89 Basso PR

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
@robertorolfo, there ought to be less traffic going east from 1st Avenue than going west, so would it help to ride on the right side? Someone here pointed out that it's the smart thing to do on 5th Ave by the Park, but it's clearer there because there are often no streets going east at the intersections.

The timing of lights and traffic on your segment is probably the biggest factor in your speed. For me, it's the wind. The wind makes an enormous difference for me.
Yes, I've thought about it and dabbled with it, but in the end I prefer riding in the bike lane. It's well separated from regular traffic, and the benefit of those few westbound intersections doesn't seem significant enough. But maybe I'll give the right side another shot.

One thing that I picked up from a fellow rider was to take the 1st avenue tunnel (essentially passing under the UN), rather than the path. And now it's one of my favorite parts of my ride. The pavement is perfect, it's mostly flat, and there are frequent speed traps at the exit, so all the drivers stick to 25mph.
robertorolfo is offline  
Old 03-29-18, 08:50 PM
  #627  
OmegaWolf
on your lawn
 
OmegaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 150

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
The important question is did anyone see you fall?!
I don't think anyone saw my fall yesterday, but this morning I hit another big ice patch right in front of where dozens electric utility workers were transferring from their personal vehicles to company vehicles. This time I landed on my back and helmet, so no damage to the bike. It looks like I will have to switch back to the studded tires for another few weeks.
OmegaWolf is offline  
Old 03-29-18, 08:55 PM
  #628  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 9,386

Bikes: '76 Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Burley Samba, Terra Trike

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
Long day in the saddle. The glass shop wants to keep the truck another night because blah blah whatever I stopped listening. So I did the daycare ride both ways. Kiddo had a good-behavior report and that's been a problem so we went for ice cream again. I started for the nearest Baskin Robbins and he requested a different shop. That was easy, on we go. We get to the front of the other one and he says BUT I WANTED BASKID ROBIDS and I tell him no, it's miles back and up a steep hill, provoking a mini meltdown. I talk him down and we have ice cream at this new place that is selling what are basically cronut cones.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 06:32 AM
  #629  
mgw4jc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mooresville, NC (Charlotte suburb)
Posts: 2,097

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My son has bike commuted home three times now from his Thursday volunteer job. I've been giving him a ride to the place because it is still dark and he doesn't have any lights.

I had a decent little tailwind helping me home last night. I was also motivated to get home quickly because I had to take a daughter to dance practice. I averaged 18.1mph.

And I got to fight against that same wind this morning. Traffic was light though and I didn't have to stop at the couple of stop signs I usually have a short wait at. Quiet day at the office too as probably more than half are off for the holiday.
mgw4jc is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 08:13 AM
  #630  
Skipjacks
Senior Member
 
Skipjacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic / USA
Posts: 1,823

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 67 Posts
Schools are closed today...

So my commute was WONDERFUL!!!!

Schools being closed means at least 60% less traffic. And it means 99% less traffic on the 1 spot where I pass an elementary school.

I swear it's like living in a small town with deserted streets when schools are closed. I love it!!!

Summer vacation can't come fast enough! (My wife, who stays home with our 2 kids, has a different opinion on this matter hahaha)
Skipjacks is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 08:43 AM
  #631  
arsprod 
Senior Member
 
arsprod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,922

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
I don't think anyone saw my fall yesterday, but this morning I hit another big ice patch right in front of where dozens electric utility workers were transferring from their personal vehicles to company vehicles. This time I landed on my back and helmet, so no damage to the bike. It looks like I will have to switch back to the studded tires for another few weeks.
Ouch! My ride home yesterday was almost as eventful. Raining (of course) and threw the chain, broke a spoke, ripped derailleur cage off. That's my 2nd derailleur in a month! I was on my way to a chiropractor appointment so walked the mile or so there, uber'ed home, drove back and picked up bike.

Not working today so no ride... good thing
arsprod is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:46 AM
  #632  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 36,982

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
Schools are closed today...

So my commute was WONDERFUL!!!!

Schools being closed means at least 60% less traffic. And it means 99% less traffic on the 1 spot where I pass an elementary school.

I swear it's like living in a small town with deserted streets when schools are closed. I love it!!!

Summer vacation can't come fast enough! (My wife, who stays home with our 2 kids, has a different opinion on this matter hahaha)
It's crazy, how many parents drive kids to school in private cars. It's a waste of resources, and it contributes to traffic congestion and collisions. It wasn't always like this. And parents think they're keeping their kids safe, when actually, they are the danger they think they're creating.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:49 AM
  #633  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 36,982

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
My commute was uneventful. I'm getting into the swing of this commute, as it's been about a month now. I believe this is the first week I've ridden in every single day. I hope to have many more five-day bike-commuting weeks.

It rained lightly for over a day. I think it stopped after I arrived at work, and I think we're not due for more rain now. It's light enough that I don't really get wet. The fog sat low on the ground and river, and it was pretty.



__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:50 AM
  #634  
ptempel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersry the beautiful Garden State
Posts: 1,914

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
Ouch! My ride home yesterday was almost as eventful. Raining (of course) and threw the chain, broke a spoke, ripped derailleur cage off. That's my 2nd derailleur in a month! I was on my way to a chiropractor appointment so walked the mile or so there, uber'ed home, drove back and picked up bike.

Not working today so no ride... good thing
Sucks you hosed up your rear derailleur. Does your RD hanger need replacing? Hopefully, you can find a fairly cheap replacement. I recall replacing my old Shimano Ultegra 6500 9spd RD for around $40 or so used. One good reason to stay a little behind the new part curve.

It was a good ride in today ~50F. I was able to dress for 50's and got away with barely perceptable rain this morning. Also met Bob on the Ft Lee Rd hill and rode in with him. Always nice to have a someone to chat with on the bike. I also noticed that the roads were pretty clear (even for a Friday). So a nice bonus for me. I'm off work next week for my son's spring break from school. We hope to do a mini trip. We're thinking of going to Washington DC for two days or so and see some of the museums. Would be super cool to see the Smithsonain center at Dulles airport:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collections/collections-on-display

Its one of the places that I've never been to. They have a space shuttle and Lokheed SR-71 there among other things. I'm sure that my 5yr old would like those exhibits. If you guys have any road trip ideas, then let me know. Have a good weekend and a happy Easter!

Last edited by ptempel; 03-30-18 at 10:54 AM.
ptempel is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:38 AM
  #635  
arsprod 
Senior Member
 
arsprod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,922

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
Sucks you hosed up your rear derailleur. Does your RD hanger need replacing? Hopefully, you can find a fairly cheap replacement. I recall replacing my old Shimano Ultegra 6500 9spd RD for around $40 or so used. One good reason to stay a little behind the new part curve.
No, fortunately it's a steel bike and hanger is part of the frame. I picked up a couple rd's for $25 so back in business as soon as I fix the wheel!!
__________________
I'm slow, go around
arsprod is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:43 AM
  #636  
ptempel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersry the beautiful Garden State
Posts: 1,914

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
No, fortunately it's a steel bike and hanger is part of the frame. I picked up a couple rd's for $25 so back in business as soon as I fix the wheel!!
Ah, cool beans.
ptempel is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 11:57 AM
  #637  
Skipjacks
Senior Member
 
Skipjacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mid Atlantic / USA
Posts: 1,823

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
It's crazy, how many parents drive kids to school in private cars. It's a waste of resources, and it contributes to traffic congestion and collisions. It wasn't always like this. And parents think they're keeping their kids safe, when actually, they are the danger they think they're creating.
That's not what happens around here at all.

It's not that less people are driving when schools are closed. Its that when they are open more people are driving at the same time.

When schools are closed the same number of people are driving to work, they are just spreading it out more since they aren't confined to dropping their kids off at a predetermined time on the way to work.
Skipjacks is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 01:00 PM
  #638  
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back
 
Tundra_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 2,139

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I gotta figure out some sort of solution to the front brakes on my hybrid squealing. And I don't mean a minor squeak. They've gotten nearly as loud as my Airzound, and at about the same pitch. I've tried new pads (currently using Koolstop salmon with about 200 miles on the set) and adjusting them. Toe-in, toe-out, up, down, etc. but nothing seems to help.

The brakes on this bike have always squealed since it was new, but seem to be getting louder as the bike gathers miles (now around 8,000). This afternoon on my ride across town I've noticed that I wasn't using them because they draw so much attention and drivers think I'm honking at them. That's not a good situation when you start avoiding your best method of stopping.
__________________
Visit me at the Tundra Man Workshop
Tundra_Man is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 01:41 PM
  #639  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,437

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2460 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I suggest giving the rim a good cleaning, rubbing alcohol and scrubber. also check tightness of the bolts, in case vibrations are coming from there.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 01:42 PM
  #640  
ptempel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersry the beautiful Garden State
Posts: 1,914

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man View Post
I gotta figure out some sort of solution to the front brakes on my hybrid squealing. And I don't mean a minor squeak. They've gotten nearly as loud as my Airzound, and at about the same pitch. I've tried new pads (currently using Koolstop salmon with about 200 miles on the set) and adjusting them. Toe-in, toe-out, up, down, etc. but nothing seems to help.

The brakes on this bike have always squealed since it was new, but seem to be getting louder as the bike gathers miles (now around 8,000). This afternoon on my ride across town I've noticed that I wasn't using them because they draw so much attention and drivers think I'm honking at them. That's not a good situation when you start avoiding your best method of stopping.
What type of brake caliper do you have? I recall reading in another thread about the same issue. Someone recommended to try a different brake pad type. Ah, here it is:

Brake squeal on cantilever brakes, cross bike

Saw one rec for Kool Stop Tectonic and another for Velo Orange Squeal Free. FWIW, I've not had much squeal probs with Kool Stop Salmon, Swissstop black, and Shimano black pads. This is only on my two road bikes with Shimano Ultegra 6500 and early 2000's Campy Chorus brakes. Both are dual pivot on the front. But the Campy is single pivot on the back.
ptempel is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 02:52 PM
  #641  
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back
 
Tundra_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 2,139

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I suggest giving the rim a good cleaning, rubbing alcohol and scrubber. also check tightness of the bolts, in case vibrations are coming from there.
Actually just cleaned the bike from head to toe a few weeks ago getting it ready for the season, and tightened every bolt on the bike.
__________________
Visit me at the Tundra Man Workshop
Tundra_Man is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 03:02 PM
  #642  
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back
 
Tundra_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 2,139

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
What type of brake caliper do you have? I recall reading in another thread about the same issue. Someone recommended to try a different brake pad type. Ah, here it is:

Brake squeal on cantilever brakes, cross bike

Saw one rec for Kool Stop Tectonic and another for Velo Orange Squeal Free. FWIW, I've not had much squeal probs with Kool Stop Salmon, Swissstop black, and Shimano black pads. This is only on my two road bikes with Shimano Ultegra 6500 and early 2000's Campy Chorus brakes. Both are dual pivot on the front. But the Campy is single pivot on the back.
I've just got the stock V-Brakes that came with my Diamondback. I'm guessing they're Tektros as that's what the levers were.

I may wind up going with a completely different kind of pad. I've been running Koolstop Salmons for years but if that's what it takes to get rid of this issue I suppose it's an easy fix.
__________________
Visit me at the Tundra Man Workshop
Tundra_Man is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 05:00 PM
  #643  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 9,386

Bikes: '76 Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Burley Samba, Terra Trike

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
An easy mostly-round trip to end the week.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 05:15 PM
  #644  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 9,386

Bikes: '76 Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Burley Samba, Terra Trike

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
Schools are closed today...

So my commute was WONDERFUL!!!!
Here's a funny thing. If I get a late start I have to drive and that puts me in the school traffic, inching along.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man View Post
I gotta figure out some sort of solution to the front brakes on my hybrid squealing.
WD-40?
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 07:40 PM
  #645  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 244

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Schwinn Spitfire 1960, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Secure facility stickers received yesterday - I am legit now.

My phone doesn't take good photos ever since it got run over by a car.

Gee, I wonder why your number is so low. Mine is 31364 that I got about 4 years ago. I see from their location map that they are mostly west coast with a couple other locations. As far as actual usage my biggest location is the bike locker in front of Walnut Creek city hall. Meetings with the city traffic engineer and our neighborhood group. I think it's only right to advocate against excess traffic by arriving by bike.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 03-30-18 at 07:42 PM. Reason: wrong number
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 07:50 PM
  #646  
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back
 
Tundra_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 2,139

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
WD-40?
That would quiet the brakes, but then I would start squealing!
__________________
Visit me at the Tundra Man Workshop
Tundra_Man is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 10:03 PM
  #647  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 9,386

Bikes: '76 Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Burley Samba, Terra Trike

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
After work I sold my full-suspension bike. So for the first time in about 16 years, I'm mountain bike free. It's temporary! I've got two different Krampus lined up to look at. One is a bare frame in KC, freshly powder coated, and the other is a complete here in SAC. I really would prefer a new-model Karate Monkey if I can find one. The Krampus is kind of enormous.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 03-31-18, 07:47 AM
  #648  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 36,982

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
I thought the rain had stopped yesterday at midday, but I was wrong. It got heavier, and it was what I'd call a moderate rain by the time I headed home. But I had a tail wind, and that made it perfectly tolerable. The range of weather that doesn't bother me has widened. There are still conditions that keep me off the bike, but not as often. But my pants sure were dirty by the time I got home, and my butt was wet.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 03-31-18, 07:48 AM
  #649  
ptempel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Jersry the beautiful Garden State
Posts: 1,914

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
After work I sold my full-suspension bike. So for the first time in about 16 years, I'm mountain bike free. It's temporary! I've got two different Krampus lined up to look at. One is a bare frame in KC, freshly powder coated, and the other is a complete here in SAC. I really would prefer a new-model Karate Monkey if I can find one. The Krampus is kind of enormous.
Looks like you can fit pretty big tires on the Krampus:



What size do you select for fit? Do folks still buy a smaller frame for MTB as compared to road?

Edit: Looks like I would still use effective top tube length: https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/spew_bike_fit
But if I go by my 56-57cm ETT length then that means I would select a small (S) at 58.5cm?

Last edited by ptempel; 03-31-18 at 07:55 AM.
ptempel is offline  
Old 03-31-18, 08:16 AM
  #650  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,437

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2460 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man View Post
Actually just cleaned the bike from head to toe a few weeks ago getting it ready for the season, and tightened every bolt on the bike.
A theory is that residue of cleaning agents can cause a squeal, in addition to oils from the road. So the first try IMO should always be cleaning the rim and pads with something that won't leave any. I'd probably scrape the pads though that may be excessive. After that, vibrations can be the culprit which can be due to type of pads, mounting, or I'd say even if the rim is wavy from wear or being out of true. In the latter case I think you'd feel the brakes "shudder" as well as hearing the squealing.
wphamilton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.