Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Abandoned Bike Share Photos

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Abandoned Bike Share Photos

Reply

Old 09-13-18, 09:39 AM
  #51  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 26,801

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
Seattle has apparently found a way to have a prospering dockless bike-share system.
Care to define "prospering"?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 09:43 AM
  #52  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,736

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Care to define "prospering"?
https://www.google.com/search?source...30.j13-eIMBmHk
MMACH 5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 09:45 AM
  #53  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,736

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/07/...rollercoaster/
MMACH 5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 12:18 PM
  #54  
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 7,243

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Originally Posted by nasabiker View Post
It is good that you respected the value of the bikes that were provided to you under a capitalist business model, and the investment that was made by the companies to bring you a service,but its obvious that many people do not share your ethic. therein lies the problem with communism and other similar arrangements. people by and large need a personal investment in something for them to take responsibility for its well-being. its a simple equation- why do I invest limited my time energy and skill in something if someone else will do it for me.
You were on a good roll and I shouldn't have disregarded you.

What is the evidence that people don't share my ethic (what is my ethic?)
acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 01:37 PM
  #55  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 26,801

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sounds more like "poised to prosper" as in wishful thinking. Unless you consider dumping a lot of unused/unworkable/unavailable vehicles of questionable reliability on the street as "prospering."

Extract from your posted site/article:

"While Seattle’s bike-share fleet is poised to grow, performance indicators have not been encouraging. Newly released data shows that with 10,000 bikes across all fleets citywide, ridership averaged about 7,000 daily trips in May and June, or 0.7 trips per bike per day.

One reason for the lackluster usage may be that many bikes are not actually available, depleting the capacity of bike-share and diminishing reliability. Testers with the Seattle Times found that nearly a third of the 206 bikes they spot-checked were unrideable, either because of “obvious damage” to the bike or glitches with the app-based unlocking mechanism.

The ability of the venture capital-backed bike-share companies to keep their fleets in workable condition has always been one of the big unknowns hanging over the business model. In Seattle, it’s still an open question."
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 01:38 PM
  #56  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 26,801

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
(what is my ethic?)
Good question!
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 01:56 PM
  #57  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,736

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Sounds more like "poised to prosper" as in wishful thinking. Unless you consider dumping a lot of unused/unworkable/unavailable vehicles of questionable reliability on the street as "prospering."

Extract from your posted site/article:

"While Seattle’s bike-share fleet is poised to grow, performance indicators have not been encouraging. Newly released data shows that with 10,000 bikes across all fleets citywide, ridership averaged about 7,000 daily trips in May and June, or 0.7 trips per bike per day.

One reason for the lackluster usage may be that many bikes are not actually available, depleting the capacity of bike-share and diminishing reliability. Testers with the Seattle Times found that nearly a third of the 206 bikes they spot-checked were unrideable, either because of “obvious damage” to the bike or glitches with the app-based unlocking mechanism.

The ability of the venture capital-backed bike-share companies to keep their fleets in workable condition has always been one of the big unknowns hanging over the business model. In Seattle, it’s still an open question."
All fair assessments. What I saw in Seattle was that the e-bikes being put out now by LimeBike were all the rage. A few factors come into play here that might help them continue to grow:
1) The fee for the e-bikes (and electric scooters) is 10 times the fee for standard dockless bike-share bikes ($1/hour vs $1 to unlock and $.15/minute = $10/hour).
2) The e-bikes (and scooters) are taken off the streets every night to be recharged and then redistributed in the morning. This has reduced the vandalism as well as unrideable bikes just being left strewn about the city.
I will admit, this could be wishful thinking on my part, though.

edit (added the $1 to unlock to the fees)

Last edited by MMACH 5; 09-13-18 at 01:59 PM.
MMACH 5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 07:06 AM
  #58  
locolobo13 
Senior Member
 
locolobo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 1,559

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Has Ofo ever operated legally in Phoenix; are they even in operation there at all, or have they just totally abandoned whatever crap-mobiles they previously dumped on the city?

Apparently Ofo is bailing out of the U.S. market
https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-b...ons-1531959910
"China Bike-Sharing Giant Ofo to Shut Most U.S. Operations

Updated July 18, 2018 9:04 p.m. ET

Less than a year after China’s Ofo Inc. entered the U.S. with big ambitions, the world’s largest bike-share company plans to shut down most of its U.S. operations, people familiar with the matter said.

Beijing-based Ofo told U.S. employees Wednesday that it is cutting the vast majority of its workforce in the U.S. and retreating to a handful of larger cities, these people said. Ofo told staff it is still determining which cities it will continue operating in, the people said. It has more than 40,000 bicycles in more than 30 U.S. markets."
Thanks for the link. Couldn't access the whole article but after googling around.. It appears Ofo is leaving or has left the Phoenix area. Didn't see many yellow bikes last weekend but there were plenty the weekend previous.
locolobo13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 08:34 AM
  #59  
nasabiker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
You were on a good roll and I shouldn't have disregarded you.

What is the evidence that people don't share my ethic (what is my ethic?)
It as an assumption, I'll admit, but the assumption is that your ethic in this case is treating the bikes with some due care, as you are a bike guy like myself(otherwise why be on the forum or care about the bike share issues).
nasabiker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 08:36 AM
  #60  
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 7,243

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Originally Posted by nasabiker View Post
It as an assumption, I'll admit, but the assumption is that your ethic in this case is treating the bikes with some due care, as you are a bike guy like myself(otherwise why be on the forum or care about the bike share issues).
It's an experience with European dockless bike systems. I never saw an issue with Call-a-Bike in Germany when I lived there.

Except that they were always in use!

https://www.callabike-interaktiv.de/en
acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 09:25 AM
  #61  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,736

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
It's an experience with European dockless bike systems. I never saw an issue with Call-a-Bike in Germany when I lived there.

Except that they were always in use!

https://www.callabike-interaktiv.de/en
That looks like an awesome system.
MMACH 5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-18, 10:36 AM
  #62  
acidfast7
http://www.538.nl
 
acidfast7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 7,243

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
That looks like an awesome system.
When I lived in Germany I had a BahnCard100 which gave me free high-speed trains and subways across Germany in addition to free/reduced rate car and bike rentals.

First class offers free showers and sleeping in train stations and free funded on trains.

Price: €350/mo for Second / €500/mo for First Class.

edit: seems that it's gone up: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/bahncard/...ncard100.shtml

Well worth it.
acidfast7 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service