Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you think of this Opus bike?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What do you think of this Opus bike?

Old 08-01-20, 12:22 AM
  #1  
sodsbodkings
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What do you think of this Opus bike?

I'm considering the Opus Classico Lightweight Step-Through.
It's $1000 CAD (about $750 USD).

Looking at the specs, do you think it's a good choice? I want something lightweight and fast.
For one thing, is 9-speed okay for terrain that varies from flat to hilly? It's for commuting and hauling groceries.

edit: nevermind. test rode this bike - not a fan.

Last edited by sodsbodkings; 08-01-20 at 03:30 PM.
sodsbodkings is offline  
Old 08-01-20, 11:20 AM
  #2  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,598

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 798 Posts
may like a wider range cassette rather than a narrow one , regardless of brand name on the frame..
9 "speeds" means the cassette has 9 cogs . nothing about their sizes.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 08-01-20, 07:05 PM
  #3  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,710

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by sodsbodkings View Post
I'm considering the Opus Classico Lightweight Step-Through.
It's $1000 CAD (about $750 USD).

Looking at the specs, do you think it's a good choice? I want something lightweight and fast.
For one thing, is 9-speed okay for terrain that varies from flat to hilly? It's for commuting and hauling groceries.

edit: nevermind. test rode this bike - not a fan.
What did you not like about the bike? I've like the looks and specs of the Classico step-over model, but those Opus bikes aren't common where I live.
FiftySix is online now  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 08-02-20, 07:30 AM
  #4  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,995

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 330 Posts
sodsbodkings Can you go into more detail?
BobbyG is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 03:23 PM
  #5  
sodsbodkings
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it was reasonably fast but not as fast i wanted it to be. also, not as lightweight as i had hoped - i'm not sure if 22 lb is the weight of the size Small, cuz I tried size Medium and it felt heavy.
i don't know why it's so hard to make a step-through that's lighter than 22 lb - my friend's 21-speed road bike, made of aluminum, $1500 CAD, feels much lighter.
the W-shaped handlebar shape felt a very weird to me. i suppose it's cruiser-style.
and you can't easily adjust the handlebar height - you need bike mechanic skills or pay the shop to do it. so you're sitting in a weird slightly hunched over position.
the seat is not comfortable, you feel every bump in the road, particularly because you're sitting partially upright, so you'lll need to buy a new seat to replace it asap.

it's nice enough. but not worth $1000 CAD to me.

Last edited by sodsbodkings; 08-02-20 at 08:40 PM.
sodsbodkings is offline  
Likes For sodsbodkings:
Old 08-02-20, 09:50 PM
  #6  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 167 Posts
As you go lighter, things get more expensive, including materials and production processes. Thinner frame materials are harder to weld, and may require more advanced equipment for welding and heat treating. Lightweight frames are usually made from tubing that's thinner in the middle than at the ends, and even spokes are done that way on lightweight bikes. Road bikes tend to have skinny tires and rims. It is possible, though I'm not a mechanical engineer, that a step-through is not as strong as a trapezoidal frame, and has to be thicker to compensate. The little bits add up too.

As a pure exercise in curiosity, there's a site called "weight weenies" where people make a hobby of weighing every tiny part of their bikes, and they have a database of weights. You can really see how much variation there is.

Then there's pure marketing. Bike makers use weight to differentiate their offerings.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 08-02-20 at 09:55 PM.
Gresp15C is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 08:02 PM
  #7  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,710

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by sodsbodkings View Post
it was reasonably fast but not as fast i wanted it to be. also, not as lightweight as i had hoped - i'm not sure if 22 lb is the weight of the size Small, cuz I tried size Medium and it felt heavy.
i don't know why it's so hard to make a step-through that's lighter than 22 lb - my friend's 21-speed road bike, made of aluminum, $1500 CAD, feels much lighter.
the W-shaped handlebar shape felt a very weird to me. i suppose it's cruiser-style.
and you can't easily adjust the handlebar height - you need bike mechanic skills or pay the shop to do it. so you're sitting in a weird slightly hunched over position.
the seat is not comfortable, you feel every bump in the road, particularly because you're sitting partially upright, so you'lll need to buy a new seat to replace it asap.

it's nice enough. but not worth $1000 CAD to me.
Thanks for that feedback.
FiftySix is online now  
Old 08-27-20, 03:44 PM
  #8  
blue192
Senior Member
 
blue192's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 433

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Opus bikes are available in the USA? I thought it was a uniquely Canadian brand after Jamis left the market here.
blue192 is offline  
Old 08-27-20, 06:36 PM
  #9  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,710

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192 View Post
Opus bikes are available in the USA? I thought it was a uniquely Canadian brand after Jamis left the market here.
Not that I've seen. But used bikes do wander south of your border once in a while. It's how I ended up with a Norco in Texas, someone from another state or country brought it here.
FiftySix is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.