Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Describe another bike commuter you see

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Describe another bike commuter you see

Old 09-05-21, 02:05 PM
  #1  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
Thread Starter
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 12,769

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2687 Post(s)
Liked 1,498 Times in 979 Posts
Describe another bike commuter you see

I was driving (gasp!) today - hey, it's smoky here - and I happened to see someone out on his bike that I recognize from the last month. I believe he's a high schooler because I usually see him right around when I'm doing my school run, later than most work commutes, and he's headed in the general direction of Folsom Lake HS. He has a big shock of blond hair and a BMX 29er cruiser - a Big Ripper or something like it. I've seen him riding wheelies with it, because that is what you do with that kind of bike, but he's riding them in the direction he's going.

Who do you see?
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 09-05-21, 04:00 PM
  #2  
Alligator
Senior Member
 
Alligator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 198

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Once, when I was commuting home on my hybrid, another commuter rode up to me from behind and we rode together for several miles. He was about the same age, but the thing I remember the most was that he was on a cheap mountain bike, with knobby tires. It was a poor choice for regular commuting because it would have been slow and harder to ride. But he was a physician and cycled about 15 miles (one way) into work each day. Eventually, he left me in the dust. I could not believe how much power he had, or how fast he could ride on that bike. That goes to show, you can ride almost anything and eventually you will build up the stamina and health to make it work.
Alligator is offline  
Likes For Alligator:
Old 09-05-21, 09:07 PM
  #3  
Papa Tom
Senior Member
 
Papa Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,437

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 133 Posts
I often see day laborers biking to and from work on rickety department store bikes, taking the same hills I take, a little bit slower but always with a smile. I really envy those guys.
Papa Tom is offline  
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 09-05-21, 10:59 PM
  #4  
rumstove
Riding after dark
 
rumstove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: on the trails
Posts: 66

Bikes: Raleigh Tripper (coaster brake), Raleigh One Way, '97 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
I notice a guy riding past my house quite often. In the morning riding north; late afternoon/evening riding south. Always a slow and steady pace in sun, rain, light snow, or wind. With the amount of bags loaded on his bike you'd think he was going on a tour across the country. Pretty sure he rides a Surly.
rumstove is offline  
Old 09-06-21, 12:10 AM
  #5  
Schlafen
Senior Member
 
Schlafen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
Once, when I was commuting home on my hybrid, another commuter rode up to me from behind and we rode together for several miles. He was about the same age, but the thing I remember the most was that he was on a cheap mountain bike, with knobby tires. It was a poor choice for regular commuting because it would have been slow and harder to ride. But he was a physician and cycled about 15 miles (one way) into work each day. Eventually, he left me in the dust. I could not believe how much power he had, or how fast he could ride on that bike. That goes to show, you can ride almost anything and eventually you will build up the stamina and health to make it work.
That's mostly gearing, wide range gearing will not take you anywhere fast, no matter the bike.

Every morning I commute I see an old fella riding in opposite direction, quite slow going up a hill in the middle of the lane and holding back traffic that's coming off an expressway for about a mile, in a school zone that'a one lane road, mid rush hour. Never seen a single car overtake him. Balls of steel on that guy.
Schlafen is offline  
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 09-06-21, 10:22 AM
  #6  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
Thread Starter
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 12,769

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2687 Post(s)
Liked 1,498 Times in 979 Posts
In my neighborhood there's an old guy who about 9am gets on his trike and rides up and down the not-steep part of the street for about twenty minutes. I see him on WFH days or when I stop by the house on my ride in having forgotten something.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 09-07-21, 08:33 AM
  #7  
pdlamb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northern Deep South
Posts: 7,431

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked 1,097 Times in 696 Posts
I've passed my cardiologist a couple times on his commute (opposite direction from mine!). Funny thing is, with his backpack on, he doesn't really look like he's riding that (very nice) high-end road bike. But he is! I always wonder if his backpack has shoes or scrubs, I don't think it's big enough for both.
pdlamb is offline  
Old 09-07-21, 02:31 PM
  #8  
Korina
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 2,834

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 554 Posts
In the Before Times, when I commuted, I was regularly passed by a woman on an e-bike; if I remember correctly she was going to College of the Redwoods, which is a 17 mile ride. I also was passed by another woman who didn't appear to be on an e-bike, but I was never sure; she was haulin' ass at a rather casual cadence.
Korina is offline  
Old 09-07-21, 08:51 PM
  #9  
Eds0123
Senior Member
 
Eds0123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deserts of South East WA State
Posts: 203

Bikes: Giant OCR A1, Leader 735R, Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Spring 2019 before covid I used to see this new youngster early 20's dude riding home some kind of Dept Store bicycle, I usually catch up to him, chat with him and then I'd continue on, this went on for a couple weeks, he was always happy and smiling enjoying his ride.

Last time I saw him though was when he was walking his bike along the trail and not so cheerful, it happened that he had a flat, goathead country up here, and he had no tools or skill to fix it, he had shreider valve on his tube which my pump wasnt good for, I could not help him and sadly left him walking his bike, I never saw him back again after that day. First flat tire incident turned him off from bike commuting I guess.
Eds0123 is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 09:00 AM
  #10  
StarBiker
Senior Member
 
StarBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,770

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen View Post
That's mostly gearing, wide range gearing will not take you anywhere fast, no matter the bike.

Every morning I commute I see an old fella riding in opposite direction, quite slow going up a hill in the middle of the lane and holding back traffic that's coming off an expressway for about a mile, in a school zone that'a one lane road, mid rush hour. Never seen a single car overtake him. Balls of steel on that guy.
The only people I see doing this are in their Mercedes on Dulaney Valley.......
StarBiker is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 12:59 PM
  #11  
Korina
Happy banana slug
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 2,834

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123 View Post
Spring 2019 before covid I used to see this new youngster early 20's dude riding home some kind of Dept Store bicycle, I usually catch up to him, chat with him and then I'd continue on, this went on for a couple weeks, he was always happy and smiling enjoying his ride.

Last time I saw him though was when he was walking his bike along the trail and not so cheerful, it happened that he had a flat, goathead country up here, and he had no tools or skill to fix it, he had shreider valve on his tube which my pump wasnt good for, I could not help him and sadly left him walking his bike, I never saw him back again after that day. First flat tire incident turned him off from bike commuting I guess.
Or he got a better bike, discovered speed, and he was always far, far ahead of you.
Korina is offline  
Old 09-11-21, 07:15 PM
  #12  
Eds0123
Senior Member
 
Eds0123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deserts of South East WA State
Posts: 203

Bikes: Giant OCR A1, Leader 735R, Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina View Post
Or he got a better bike, discovered speed, and he was always far, far ahead of you.
: - ) Unlikely, but I like your scenario better regardless ... . . . : - )
Eds0123 is offline  
Likes For Eds0123:
Old 09-15-21, 06:31 PM
  #13  
OmegaWolf
on your lawn
 
OmegaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 173

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
My street comes off the main N-S road, weaves around for a little over a mile and goes back out to the same road about 3 blocks from its other end. Many mornings I've crossed paths with another bike commuter coming from the north and turning onto my street, and many evenings I've seen him riding north past my house. One morning he stopped me to ask where I ride to. When I asked him the same he said a place about 15-20 miles north. The only route there I could figure out from going south from here would be about 30 difficult miles. The other possibility is that he catches the bus at the bus stop at the south end of my street.

On my previous commute there were many times I met a young man riding the other way with a guitar on his back. I always wondered where he was going like that.
OmegaWolf is offline  
Old 09-27-21, 01:11 PM
  #14  
EviLDORK
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 49

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I see Bubba, Tony Hawk, and Vapey McPuffsalot on my commutes.
EviLDORK is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.