Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Love riding in rush hour traffic, me nuts?

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Love riding in rush hour traffic, me nuts?

Old 01-25-07, 03:08 PM
  #26  
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Posts: 8,738

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is more like two riders running into each other on their way to work more than any kind of planned riding. But yeah, it does make it harder to concentrate, plus you both have to take more caution at red lights when neither of you feel like stopping.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 03:20 PM
  #27  
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!
 
chephy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 4,259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe v
There's nothing funny or cool about riding in heavy traffic
Of course there is plenty of funny and cool stuff about heavy traffic riding. There is also a bit of some very real danger. That only makes it more cool. It doesn't hurt to be careful, of course, but I betcha it's safer than lots of extreme sports out there.
chephy is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 03:20 PM
  #28  
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 10,527

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....and of course inadvertently, the tempo increases, the carve a little tighter, and the race is on. The accidental alleycat. Man it is soo hard to get killed by a car in downtown traffic, mashed no, killed, yes. I can't remember what site I was reading but the line was along the lines of 'messengers are harder to kill than cockroaches"
TRaffic Jammer is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 03:57 PM
  #29  
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,508

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 20 year old Polish house mate who just got really in to cycling since he moved in with me nearly 2 years ago. He is so reckless it makes me cringe. He definitely likes riding in traffic.

He cycles assuming cars will stop for him. He literally thinks he OWNS THE ROAD. He bombs through red lights without slowing down or looking. He buzzes pedestrians because he thinks its fun. He rides at 1am on friday and saturday BECAUSE the drunk drivers are out. He then dive bombs drunk pedestrians on the street so close and fast I am literally afraid he will kill someone. He rides against one way streets at night without lights even if there are one way streets going the right direction 50 meters to either side. He pulls the most dangerous maneuvers for no reason.

He is almost impossible to ride with because he has no group riding etiquite and is totally unpredictable. Riding on the street he usually tries to pass you on your right. He sits on your wheel and then passes you on the left just when you need to merge left to avoid an obstacle. He will ride abreast with you and if you see an obstacle and start to slow down or speed up to get into single file, he will match your speed and then do somethign crazy at the last minute. He will often show off and go through an intersection really dangerously while the people riding with him stop and wait until its safe, meaning he has to wait at the other side of the intersection. He doesn't respect your line going in to a turn and cuts you off mid corner. He has come in contact with me more times that I can remember just riding.

He is generally a huge ass on the road, and rubs it in everybody's faces, with no responsibility or accountability. I'm waiting for the day he never shows up at home in the evening.

I keep yelling at him and trying to teach him, but he never listens. I asked him why he does it. Fun and adrenaline. Now I know why people make mean jokes about the Poles.
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 04:01 PM
  #30  
rando
Senior Member
 
rando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 2,968
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes!
__________________
"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
rando is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 04:05 PM
  #31  
JohnBrooking
Commuter
 
JohnBrooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 2,568

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I'm not really trying to troll, but in the interest of full disclosure, I should state that I don't think I agree with the philosophy of always assuming the motorists don't see you. But the reason I say that is because I don't really understand how you can assume this. I'll grant you that I've only ever been a commuter, and only for 4 years, so I'm not the most experienced person here. Maybe some of you who advocate this philosophy can help me understand.

If it's just a matter of "trust but verify", I would agree with that. I never blindly assume that someone does see me. However, if I always assumed that they don't, how could I do any of the following:
  • Take the full lane to stop at a red light? I'd be afraid that someone not seeing me right in front of them would rear-end me. (Yes, I know people have had this happen to them, but on the whole, I still think it's safer than staying to the right and letting a car get beside you in line. I maintain it's less likely the more hi-viz and lit up (at night) you are.)
  • Move left into traffic to make a left-hand turn, when there are cars in the lane behind me? Even though I signal and look to make sure they are slowing down, if I still assumed that that meant nothing, how could I confidently move left?
  • Ride past a side street where a car is waiting to enter the intersection? Again, I try to make eye contact and look at what they and their car are doing, but if I was never satisfied that they saw me, I'd have to stop and let the car go whenever I was not confident of beating them to the intersection.
  • Ride somewhat out into the lane to improve my chances of being seen? I really think this does make a difference, and my experience bears this out, but the philosophy of invisibility seems to imply that it won't.
Taking it a step even further and always trying to keep out the cars' way sounds even more problematic to me, because that sounds to me like sticking to places where they don't have to see me, which sounds like sticking to places where they won't, which I think is more dangerous from both a visibility and predictablity standpoint.

Perhaps I'm just an old vehicular fogey with no hopes of understanding the messenger "one with the road" mindset and technique. But to answer the question of this thread, sometimes I do like riding in traffic. But it sounds like I do it very differently than some of you are talking about.
JohnBrooking is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 04:08 PM
  #32  
JohnBrooking
Commuter
 
JohnBrooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 2,568

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
I have a 20 year old Polish house mate who just got really in to cycling since he moved in with me nearly 2 years ago. He is so reckless it makes me cringe. He definitely likes riding in traffic.

...
Ask him where he wants the memorial donations sent, while you still have the chance.
JohnBrooking is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 04:12 PM
  #33  
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,979

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
I have a 20 year old Polish house mate who just got really in to cycling since he moved in with me nearly 2 years ago. He is so reckless it makes me cringe. He definitely likes riding in traffic.

He cycles assuming cars will stop for him. He literally thinks he OWNS THE ROAD. He bombs through red lights without slowing down or looking. He buzzes pedestrians because he thinks its fun. He rides at 1am on friday and saturday BECAUSE the drunk drivers are out. He then dive bombs drunk pedestrians on the street so close and fast I am literally afraid he will kill someone. He rides against one way streets at night without lights even if there are one way streets going the right direction 50 meters to either side. He pulls the most dangerous maneuvers for no reason.

He is almost impossible to ride with because he has no group riding etiquite and is totally unpredictable. Riding on the street he usually tries to pass you on your right. He sits on your wheel and then passes you on the left just when you need to merge left to avoid an obstacle. He will ride abreast with you and if you see an obstacle and start to slow down or speed up to get into single file, he will match your speed and then do somethign crazy at the last minute. He will often show off and go through an intersection really dangerously while the people riding with him stop and wait until its safe, meaning he has to wait at the other side of the intersection. He doesn't respect your line going in to a turn and cuts you off mid corner. He has come in contact with me more times that I can remember just riding.

He is generally a huge ass on the road, and rubs it in everybody's faces, with no responsibility or accountability. I'm waiting for the day he never shows up at home in the evening.

I keep yelling at him and trying to teach him, but he never listens. I asked him why he does it. Fun and adrenaline. Now I know why people make mean jokes about the Poles.
Because of the one polish person you know????
slowandsteady is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 04:15 PM
  #34  
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,508

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
Because of the one polish person you know????
Yes. I'm a good judge of nationalities.
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 04:42 PM
  #35  
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Posts: 8,738

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
....and of course inadvertently, the tempo increases, the carve a little tighter, and the race is on. The accidental alleycat.
well....yeah, that happens too. makes you wonder if any of your co-workers' commutes was as exciting or as fun.

Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
Man it is soo hard to get killed by a car in downtown traffic, mashed no, killed, yes. I can't remember what site I was reading but the line was along the lines of 'messengers are harder to kill than cockroaches"
Yeah, I remember something along the same lines. Statistics of cyclists deaths year by year. Most years, messengers are absent from the list despite all the riding they do.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline  
Old 01-25-07, 06:46 PM
  #36  
TreeUnit
Guy on a Bike
 
TreeUnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: C-Bus
Posts: 249

Bikes: Chromoly Univega with Nexus Hub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Cool-looking video. Two questions:
1. Were you skitching on that white pickup truck in the first few blocks?
2. Alan Parsons Project? You sure you're not 50?

1. Yes
2. Yes
TreeUnit is offline  
Old 01-26-07, 05:04 AM
  #37  
TheBrick
Tinkerer since 1980
 
TheBrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London
Posts: 922

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking
If it's just a matter of "trust but verify", I would agree with that. I never blindly assume that someone does see me. However, if I always assumed that they don't, how could I do any of the following:
Yeah your right. I think you took me and others a bit too lituraly, but you know what I mean. Like you say it is more just because you should have been seen does not mean you have been seen. i.e When I ride through traffic lights (on green) and people on the other side of the road are waiting to cross in frount of me (turning right for me , left for you guys in the U.S and Ca) I assume they have not seen me ride ready to stop and / or change direction quickly to avoid being hit in the side. Similar methods are employed when there are merging lanes.

Last edited by TheBrick; 01-26-07 at 08:10 AM.
TheBrick is offline  
Old 01-26-07, 08:27 AM
  #38  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,709

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
Yes. I'm a good judge of nationalities.
Do you represent all Canadians too? Or just the dim bulbs of any nationality?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-26-07, 08:31 AM
  #39  
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars
 
TRaffic Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 10,527

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's joking for crying out loud, lighten up.
TRaffic Jammer is offline  
Old 01-26-07, 03:56 PM
  #40  
Shiznaz
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Shiznaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,508

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sociopaths don't have a sense of humour TJ. And as we all know, I am a sociopath.
Shiznaz is offline  
Old 01-26-07, 04:55 PM
  #41  
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer
 
Bklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
Posts: 1,152

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a sociopath myself, and I'm outraged by your assertion that I don't have a sense of humor.

Last edited by Bklyn; 01-26-07 at 06:42 PM.
Bklyn is offline  
Old 01-26-07, 06:39 PM
  #42  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,709

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
He's joking for crying out loud, lighten up.
How 'bout you?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
loimpact
Road Cycling
22
09-28-15 08:59 AM
csi56
Northeast
4
08-20-14 08:38 PM
clones2
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing
29
07-24-13 04:55 AM
pinofro
General Cycling Discussion
5
03-26-10 11:34 PM
LukeAndrews
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
0
11-27-08 09:28 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.