Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Got hit today! (https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/320201-got-hit-today.html)

Blais 07-12-07 03:56 PM

Got hit today!
 
Posted this over in Safety too, thought you guys might like to read it too.

Yaay!

No, not yay. I was riding down a slightly narrow street at about 8-10 miles an hour towards a red light ahead. It was a definite door-zone so I was going it slowly and carefully. Suddenly, an RTA chair bus passes me on the left, strikes my bar end and sends me into the parked car to my right. I go over the hood of the car and my bike is pulled around the car's front end by my right foot which is still securely strapped to the pedal. As I land, I pull my bike out of the street with my foot and give myself a look. Incredibly, I was left with just a scraped elbow, a bruised knee, and a loose tooth. I got up and pulled my bike to the sidewalk and was prepared to let the guy know that I was ok and tell him, politely of course, to watch the *%^$ out for cyclists next time. Strangely, he somehow knew I was ok before I got up of the pavement and didn't even slow down.
Seriously! An employee of the state hits a cyclist and then leaves! There was no way he didn't notice because he clipped me just behind his door and it made a very loud thud on my steel bar end. As I went over the hood of the car, I'm sure my rear wheel hit the side of the bus too. Totally despicable. I guess that's why around here we have a special motto;

'Welcome to Worcester, Duck mother$&%^er'

rb07 07-12-07 04:04 PM

yikes! Glad you're OK. By chance did you get the bus number? I'm just guessing here, but that would count as a hit and run...

Dr_Robert 07-12-07 04:08 PM

Bus numner shouldn't matter. The bus company knows what driver they have on that route at that time of day. File a police report.

-DR

KingTermite 07-12-07 04:09 PM

You got the bus number, right?

dr. nate 07-12-07 04:10 PM

He just commited a felony, now go send him to the unemployement line.

rb07 07-12-07 04:12 PM


Originally Posted by Dr_Robert
Bus numner shouldn't matter. The bus company knows what driver they have on that route at that time of day. File a police report.

-DR

There is that too ;)

AEO 07-12-07 04:26 PM

Glad to hear you are ok. I know those special transit bus drivers are a bit more careless than the ones driving the normal public transit ones. I saw one go 150km/h+ down a highway once, mind you, it was down a bridge and it was going with the flow.

Scorer75 07-12-07 06:49 PM

File a report with the company and police.

What happens if you wake up tomorrow in tremendous pain and can't move because you've hurt your back or neck? Adrenalin can mask many an injury.

Glad you are ok, relatively speaking but what about the next cyclist he hits? He didn't even stop to see if you were ok. You could still be lying between those two cars instead of posting here.

fuerein 07-12-07 06:57 PM

Seriously call the police AND the transit officials! If nothing else, transit needs to pay for any dental bills related to the new loose tooth.

slvoid 07-12-07 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by Scorer75
File a report with the company and police.

What happens if you wake up tomorrow in tremendous pain and can't move because you've hurt your back or neck? Adrenalin can mask many an injury.

Glad you are ok, relatively speaking but what about the next cyclist he hits? He didn't even stop to see if you were ok. You could still be lying between those two cars instead of posting here.

I hope the guy gets the driver canned.

Not to side track but how are you doing after ur recent accident?

michaelalanjone 07-12-07 07:27 PM

I used to ride the bus to work years ago, and if they hit anything, they don't give a *****; they just keep going. I was sitting right next to the door when my bus grazed a telephone pole on that side. It sheared the mirror off, and missed my window by inches. The bus driver did not look, flinch, slow down or anything, just kept on driving.

Blais 07-12-07 07:30 PM

I talked to my lawyer earlier...
He basically told me it was a lost cause because I didn't go to the hospital and then didn't ride straight home, call the police right away, or get the eyewitnesses' contact info. It also didn't help that I stood up, told the witness that I was fine, and then rode off. He told me the chance of winning a lawsuit was slim and I might just end up paying for his fees only to lose. The chance of getting the guy fired are very high, however and he had me file a complaint to get his ass off the road.

BigMacFU 07-12-07 08:00 PM

Glad to read you are okay. Everybody is right on the police report. File it now!!!

ItsJustMe 07-12-07 08:16 PM

I agree getting damages from them might be unlikely, but hit and run is a felony and they know damn well what driver it was, if you have a location and a time.

tismyself 07-12-07 08:21 PM

newbie, been lurking for a few weeks, first post, :)


MA statute of limitations on personal injury is three years, I believe. Contact the police to file a report after the fact and go to the ER within 24 hours. You can put an add in the paper for witnesses. You may have left paint transfer on the bus.

Scorer75 07-12-07 08:55 PM


Originally Posted by Blais
I talked to my lawyer earlier...
He basically told me it was a lost cause because I didn't go to the hospital and then didn't ride straight home, call the police right away, or get the eyewitnesses' contact info. It also didn't help that I stood up, told the witness that I was fine, and then rode off. He told me the chance of winning a lawsuit was slim and I might just end up paying for his fees only to lose. The chance of getting the guy fired are very high, however and he had me file a complaint to get his ass off the road.

I don't mean to come off as rude but this is about more than you and your loose tooth. If the van hit you like you say it did, it will be evident upon inspection of the van in question. I've got paint from the car that hit me all over my bike and even on my shoe. Reporting this is about making sure this person doesn't have the opportunity to do this to someone else.

JeffS 07-12-07 08:56 PM

I would really like to see you report this, even if it's a lost cause. Having a report on file may help the next guy this happens to.

Scorer75 07-12-07 09:05 PM


Originally Posted by slvoid
I hope the guy gets the driver canned.

Not to side track but how are you doing after ur recent accident?

I'm thankful daily that I didn't get hurt worse than I did and I'm still around and my daughters still have their father.

I'm also in quite a bit of pain and miserable. My road rash is pretty much healed but my broken leg hurts quite a bit.

I went from riding my bike for two and a half hours a day, playing softball once a week, playing ice hockey twice a week, to doing nothing. I'm not working, not doing any exercise and basically miserable.

The worst part is, I've got at least another month in a cast before I can even start rehab.

The short answer to your question, I'm healing but miserable.

Thanks for asking though.

bobbyahines 07-12-07 11:46 PM

Good for you for at least filing a complaint with the company. Take a stand for your fellow riders with you.

-bobby

Flimflam 07-13-07 08:55 AM

Wow, jesus... that's rough. Glad you're OK - how're you doing now?


Originally Posted by AEO
Glad to hear you are ok. I know those special transit bus drivers are a bit more careless than the ones driving the normal public transit ones. I saw one go 150km/h+ down a highway once, mind you, it was down a bridge and it was going with the flow.

Wheeltrans by any chance? Those guys scare the hell out of me. Even as a ped. I've seen them *flying* down small surburban/residential streets. I used to live near Main St. and they'd always be flying up and down around that area - almost wreckless at times.

AEO 07-13-07 09:29 AM


Wheeltrans by any chance?...
Yup, this was going North-West on the QEW James Allen Skyway Bridge. I figured it was just a regular ford econoline, but I looked closer and noticed the red stripes and doors on the back. He was probably going around 150~160km/h in the left most lane I was doing a good 140km/h in the 2nd lane from the left. All of this was going with the flow.

andrelam 07-13-07 10:58 AM

Simple rule - If you get hit call 911 and report it immediately.

Don't tell them you appear to be OK because then they will take over 30 minutes for them to show up. I found that out the hard way. After 10 minutes my hand started to hurt. I called the the police back after 15 minutes of no action to see when a cruiser might appear. The cop told me they were on the way. 5 minutes later my wife gets there and then calls the cops again since it was now going on 25 minutes and still no cops and my thumb was REALY starting to throb. The driver had made a sort of u-turn at the intersection to get out of the road. this confused the cop for a minute as I explained the situation. Good news was that once the cop figured out that I was going through the intersections straight and the driver pulled out from a stop sign he become much friendlier and after he got all my info let me go so I could get to the ER to get my hand looked at. Mistake #2 don't tell them you don't need an abulance to have you looked over. It took 4 hours to get my hand looked at. Only because my wife used to be an EMT and whined enough I finally got some ice for my hand after about 2 hours. If I'd told them I was hurt (which I was, but during the first 5 minutes I felt nothing) the cops would have been on the scene in less than 5 minutes and I would have had ice on my hand earlier. It would have made my hand recovery go a lot faster. I was not hurt badly, but it took 6 to 8 weeks for my hand to feel 100% normal. With some earlier intervention I might have been able to reduce the swelling a bit more and that might have reduced the recovery time by a week or two. Think of this like a soccer match. You don't want to lie about being hurt, but it doesn't hurt to make sure the ref clearly knows that you have some sort of injury. In my case I certainly don't wish the driver any ill will (she was very sorry and looked like she might "stoke" from the shock), but I DO want to make sure her insurance is going to pay for any damages.

Happy riding,
André

slvoid 07-13-07 05:29 PM


Originally Posted by Scorer75
The short answer to your question, I'm healing but miserable.

Thanks for asking though.

Trainer... :p

balto charlie 07-14-07 05:46 AM


Originally Posted by Blais
I talked to my lawyer earlier...
He basically told me it was a lost cause because I didn't go to the hospital and then didn't ride straight home, call the police right away, or get the eyewitnesses' contact info. It also didn't help that I stood up, told the witness that I was fine, and then rode off. He told me the chance of winning a lawsuit was slim and I might just end up paying for his fees only to lose. The chance of getting the guy fired are very high, however and he had me file a complaint to get his ass off the road.

fire the lawyer. Many injuries can take 24 hours before they appear. In Baltimore bus drivers suck especially towards bikers. Our local bike group raises hell if this happens and report ALL accidents to the head of Dept of Transportation. They do hear back from MDOT. Heal fast. I was almost a hood ornament yesterday on an old ladies car. She never saw me even after she buzzed me w/in inches. I live near a retirement community:eek: They are almost as bad as bus drivers.

Blais 07-14-07 12:18 PM

I trust my lawyer, he's gotten me out of some serious shmoo in the past and saved me from ending up in the clink. I took his advice and filed a complaint and that was enough to get the guy canned. I'm satisfied with that. My knee is fine, the scrape is nothing, and my tooth is no longer loose so there's nothing to sue about.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.