Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Saw three cyclists on my way home tonight...none of them had lights

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Saw three cyclists on my way home tonight...none of them had lights

Old 11-07-07, 11:05 AM
  #26  
SDRider
Cat None
Thread Starter
 
SDRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,510

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john bono View Post
From what I've seen of the riders around here, I'm probably the best lit bike by a wide margin. I think a lot of the roadies tend to become weight weenies when it comes to lighting for some reason. Their rear blinkies are adequate for the task, but their front lights, IMHO, are fairly pathetic. At this time of year, I'm not really interested in speed records, just riding safely at the only time available to me to ride, and I want a light that will absolutely not affect my ability to right at whatever speed I deem appropriate.
You know, some of the brightest lights I've seen come in really small lightweight packages. They only light for a few hours but with rechargeable batteries they are perfect for commuting. Of course they are expensive...

I think this sums up any decent lighting system:

Small and Lightweight
Inexpensive
Bright light

You can pick only two.
SDRider is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 11:56 AM
  #27  
JohnBrooking
Commuter
 
JohnBrooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 2,568

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
My Dinotte takes AA batteries (I use rechargeables as they provide more juice and power the light for a longer period of time) and I usually carry a set Duracells as spares for just such an emergency. My Planet Bike Super Flash also takes AA batteries so I'm covered there too...unless they both die at the same time.
I have a bottle generator as a backup, but the wire came loose last week and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. I got the generator for just this reason, as well as because I tend not to get into the "recharge daily" routine until after DST ends, but would occasionally find myself out after dark unplanned starting in the early fall before I get into that routine.
JohnBrooking is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 12:02 PM
  #28  
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23
 
flipped4bikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coastal Maine
Posts: 1,713

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I think this sums up any decent lighting system:

Small and Lightweight
Inexpensive
Bright light

You can pick only two.
With the Dinotte 200L, you can have all three!
flipped4bikes is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 12:02 PM
  #29  
thdave
Senior Member
 
thdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode home yesterday at dusk. It was raining and the wind was howling--29 mph with gusts over 40. I needed my generator lights, but they were fickle and stopped working. Boy was that frustrating. All I had was the blinkie on the back of my helmet. So, sometimes people have the best intentions but it doesn't work out.

Don't know what to do--lately, my lights work about half the time when it rains.

Getting back to these cyclists who rode without lights, they could have been stuck. Time change just happened Saturday and they just didn't consider that. Also, there are lots of people who think the street lights are enough. The problem is they can't be adequately seen by others, and they don't realize it.
thdave is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 12:03 PM
  #30  
JohnBrooking
Commuter
 
JohnBrooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 2,568

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I think this sums up any decent lighting system:

Small and Lightweight
Inexpensive
Bright light

You can pick only two.
I think you're exactly right. I would consider my Cygolite Rover to be moderate on all counts.

On a related note, recently my LBS guy started stocking some flashing lights (the set contains both a white headlight and a red blinkie) that work by electrical induction. Spoke-mounted magnets induce electricity in magnets mounted to the fork or stay, so the lights flash in time with the wheel rotation. No batteries, no drag. Of course you might want something steadier in the front if you need to see by it, but for being seen, sounds like a great system. I think it was under $100. I'd seriously consider it if I was in the market for more lights, but I'm not currently. I forget the brand, but you can probably find it with Google.
JohnBrooking is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 12:06 PM
  #31  
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23
 
flipped4bikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coastal Maine
Posts: 1,713

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H23Nutcase View Post
Next time you see them again yell "Immagracion Policia, quero candela?", I'm sure that will get them their attention. I have seen too many "undocumented workers" ride without lights at night here in Atlanta.
And you know they're UDW because?
flipped4bikes is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 12:21 PM
  #32  
AGGRO
Mistadobalina
 
AGGRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clairemont
Posts: 577

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept Flo wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes View Post
And you know they're UDW because?
Because the live in a canyon, that's id one in San Diego.
AGGRO is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 12:33 PM
  #33  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,732

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO View Post
eh? what high horse? Personally, I dislike snobbery and snobby people.
Then I take it you are an above average "schmuck" on a bike because you know all the rules and follow them religously to the letter at all times. Not like all those dumb people.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 12:39 PM
  #34  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,732

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
The problem is they can't be adequately seen by others, and they don't realize it.
Another possibility, for various reasons, standing out may be considered a bigger problem than being seen by the wrong people. For example, ever ridden in many inner city neighborhoods at night with many of the bored locals lounging about?

I suspect many of the immigrants on bikes also may not wish to draw attention to themselves.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 12:56 PM
  #35  
ghettocruiser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclists I see on the roads are mostly lit like other road users.

Cyclists I see on the sidewalk are mostly unlit like other sidewalk users.
ghettocruiser is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 01:00 PM
  #36  
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Another possibility, for various reasons, standing out may be considered a bigger problem than being seen by the wrong people. For example, ever ridden in many inner city neighborhoods at night with many of the bored locals lounging about?

I suspect many of the immigrants on bikes also may not wish to draw attention to themselves.
They could also be too poor to afford such safety items. When you are more concerned with where you are sleeping next or what to eat, lighting ranks very low on ones priority list.
DataJunkie is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 01:13 PM
  #37  
thdave
Senior Member
 
thdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking View Post
I think you're exactly right. I would consider my Cygolite Rover to be moderate on all counts.

On a related note, recently my LBS guy started stocking some flashing lights (the set contains both a white headlight and a red blinkie) that work by electrical induction. Spoke-mounted magnets induce electricity in magnets mounted to the fork or stay, so the lights flash in time with the wheel rotation. No batteries, no drag. *snip*
I'm not sure about this. Don't the magnets cause drag when they come close to each other--they attract each other, right? So you have to fight that when you pedal.
thdave is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 01:29 PM
  #38  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Then I take it you are an above average "schmuck" on a bike because you know all the rules and follow them religously to the letter at all times. Not like all those dumb people.
ok, I see what you mean. Perhaps schmuck wasn't the best word to use, but it was the only word I could think up of at the time. I don't know all the rules, I just know more about it than others because I actually bothered to read up on them.
I don't follow all traffic rules to the last letter. Stop signs for instance, I treat stop signs like yield signs.
I don't claim to be smarter than everyone else, I just use my common sense and think hard to keep myself alive and relatively free from injuries.
Being prepared for foreseeable conditions (darkness, rain, snow, etc.) is not that hard. It's just that some people refuse to smarten up for one reason or another.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 01:32 PM
  #39  
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Posts: 12,258

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thdave View Post
I'm not sure about this. Don't the magnets cause drag when they come close to each other--they attract each other, right? So you have to fight that when you pedal.
Magnets do cause some drag and add rotation weight, but you actually won't really feel it compared to dynamo style generators.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 03:52 PM
  #40  
H23Nutcase
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 163

Bikes: trek 7.2, 7.3FX, 5200 OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because his profile says SAN DIEGO and he might have been biking along the US-Mexico borderline when he saw those riders.


Originally Posted by flipped4bikes View Post
And you know they're UDW because?
H23Nutcase is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 04:15 PM
  #41  
rocks in head 
...addicted...
 
rocks in head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East of the River, Washington DC
Posts: 922

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1986 Puegeot PGN-10, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1975 Gitane Gran Sport, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my big headlight was on the fritz last week, and I was navigating by the ambient light because my front backup blinkie was just enough to make me visible to oncoming cyclists...

So I was in ninja-cyclist clothing (well, really I was wearing my reflective vest) but seeing someone coming with an HID on the trail, I'd have to completely stop until they passed and my eyes re-adjusted to the ambient light... it's really blinding when you don't have your own little light puddle to focus on (taking a tip from the driver's ed book / driving in general).

Only one person held a hand over their light for me, and it was AMAZING the difference... so even though we all look down on those without front lights, please for their safety and common courtesy, put a hand or something over the light for them... it only takes 3-4 seconds, and it greatly helps the other people out!
rocks in head is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 04:23 PM
  #42  
rocks in head 
...addicted...
 
rocks in head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East of the River, Washington DC
Posts: 922

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1986 Puegeot PGN-10, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1975 Gitane Gran Sport, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
For example, ever ridden in many inner city neighborhoods at night with many of the bored locals lounging about?
Yes. I live in Anacostia, Washington DC, and not only am I the only one I ever see on a bike, I'm usually the only white person outside of their cars on my way home... I get wierd looks because everybody thinks I'm crazy, but I've yet to have a bad experience, besides the usual bored youth jumping off the sidewalk at me.

But I can't speak for everybody, so your point may be valid. It's all perception... I was scared of the area until I actually got around it / moved there.
rocks in head is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 04:29 PM
  #43  
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 13,854

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking View Post
[*] Cyclist considers lights dorky.
I think this is the funniest reason. There's really no way to not look dorky on a bike. Maybe less-than-superdorky, but it's inescapable.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 04:40 PM
  #44  
SDRider
Cat None
Thread Starter
 
SDRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,510

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by H23Nutcase View Post
because his profile says SAN DIEGO and he might have been biking along the US-Mexico borderline when he saw those riders.
No, I'm in North County San Diego (about 50 miles north of the border) and none of the people I saw last night were illegal immigrants. In fact, one of them was on a fairly nice looking full suspension mountain bike.
SDRider is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 08:45 PM
  #45  
Markok765
I found a road bike.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 740

Bikes: K2 Attack 1.0sE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friends ride BMX and FS MTB. None of them have lights, but I have a blinkie from Blackburn on my bag. Probably doesn't look cool if you don't ride a road bike.

EDIT: Most of these people don't ride bikes as their main form of transport.
Markok765 is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 11:34 PM
  #46  
HauntedMyst
Spandex free since 1963!
 
HauntedMyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 400

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 900, Surly Big Dummy, Electra Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the people I see riding at night don't have lights and its infuriating. I believe in Illinois you need a front light and a rear reflector - pathetic. Front and rear lights and reflectors should be required. No wonder so few people take cyclists seriously, they don't take themselves seriously.
HauntedMyst is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 11:35 PM
  #47  
gosmsgo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around here the police department will not pull over a bicyclists for anything.

You could be riding down the wrong side of the road without lights and they would just roll right by.
gosmsgo is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 11:37 PM
  #48  
gosmsgo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
I think this is the funniest reason. There's really no way to not look dorky on a bike. Maybe less-than-superdorky, but it's inescapable.
What are you even doing on a bike forum?

Its obvious that you are not exactly a true believer in cycling. I do not like automobiles and yet I do not hang around on www.ILOVECARS.com
gosmsgo is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 11:44 PM
  #49  
Craig
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28

Bikes: Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBrooking View Post
On a related note, recently my LBS guy started stocking some flashing lights (the set contains both a white headlight and a red blinkie) that work by electrical induction.
They're called Reelights.

I've moved since last winter, and my evening commute is a LOT darker (almost no street lights, darn that dark skies ordinance) than last year. I'll definitely have to upgrade to better lights, my cheapo Blackburn leaves much to be desired. But the thing that's killing me is that on a significant portion of my ride I'm on a narrow MUP and the folks coming towards me with no lights scare the crap out of me. Maybe that will be better when I have a better light myself.
Craig is offline  
Old 11-07-07, 11:56 PM
  #50  
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Posts: 18,025

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i see a lot of bicyclists without lights around Seattle.

Oh well. Their loss and their risk.

I also see a lot of dedicated commuters around Seattle starting to run high powered LED's in the DAYTIME for very good front visibility. I picked out a Niterider Trinewt on flash this morning in the daytime from over a half mile away. The new high powered LEDs are very impressive.
Bekologist is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.