Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Sojourn vs my old Trek

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Raleigh Sojourn vs my old Trek

Old 05-14-08, 10:30 AM
  #26  
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Posts: 6,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleyfrog View Post
Not to mention Tubus Cargo rack, WTB Mountain Road Drop bars, and SKS fenders on top of all that.
Mine came with a nice rack. My trekking bars plus Ritchie adjustable stem allow for more hand/riding positions. I had to add fenders,but SKS's always annoyed me because whenever they get bumped you have to readjust them. And I've got Rando Cross's on my Buzz;they make crap street tires.

My Safari came with a higher spec drivertrain,better brakes,and better tires for $350 less. Yes the Brooks bits look nice,but I'd rather have BB7's. And my bike's ride is every bit as smooth as the Sojourn's(I have/had all steel bikes). Plus with 26's I can go into any LBS in the DC area and walk out with a selection of skinny,high pressure slicks or fat knobbies,the same day without ordering.

Don't mean to beat up on the Sojourn,but I'd want more for the extra $350 than fancy trimmings. Kona Sutra is in the same price range with 105/XT/BB7.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 11:45 AM
  #27  
tswg
Mike McCrank
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 56

Bikes: 2008 Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked into the Sojourn too a few months ago. Unfortunately Raleigh Canada and Raleigh USA are completely different entities, and no Raleigh USA's are available in Canada, at least I was never able to find one. So you'll have to import, and pay duty, which will ad considereably to your cost.

Other comparable bikes I know are available in Canada: Kona Sutra, Kona Dr Dew, Kona Dr Lew (only in Canada), Cannondale Bad Boy, Brodie Ocho, Trek Soho, Specialized Centrum, Rocky Mountain Metropolis.

Go down to Redbike in Edmonton, they're great for chatting with and getting good ideas.

Mike
tswg is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 12:11 PM
  #28  
zeroderby
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zeroderby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tswg View Post
I looked into the Sojourn too a few months ago. Unfortunately Raleigh Canada and Raleigh USA are completely different entities, and no Raleigh USA's are available in Canada, at least I was never able to find one. So you'll have to import, and pay duty, which will ad considereably to your cost.

Other comparable bikes I know are available in Canada: Kona Sutra, Kona Dr Dew, Kona Dr Lew (only in Canada), Cannondale Bad Boy, Brodie Ocho, Trek Soho, Specialized Centrum, Rocky Mountain Metropolis.

Go down to Redbike in Edmonton, they're great for chatting with and getting good ideas.

Mike
I am going down to the states this summer so I will have access to it and won't have to pay duty. I will check those out though. Thanks.
zeroderby is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 12:12 PM
  #29  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Sojourn looks nice...but that's about it. The thing is a tank, weighing in at 35 lbs.
For comparison, my Fuji World touring bike with rack, fenders, Brooks, leather bar tape and 32c tires weighs in at 28lbs, while my Surly Big Dummy WITH the freeloader weighs 43.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 05-14-08 at 12:16 PM.
chipcom is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 12:13 PM
  #30  
zeroderby
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zeroderby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
Mine came with a nice rack. My trekking bars plus Ritchie adjustable stem allow for more hand/riding positions. I had to add fenders,but SKS's always annoyed me because whenever they get bumped you have to readjust them. And I've got Rando Cross's on my Buzz;they make crap street tires.

My Safari came with a higher spec drivertrain,better brakes,and better tires for $350 less. Yes the Brooks bits look nice,but I'd rather have BB7's. And my bike's ride is every bit as smooth as the Sojourn's(I have/had all steel bikes). Plus with 26's I can go into any LBS in the DC area and walk out with a selection of skinny,high pressure slicks or fat knobbies,the same day without ordering.

Don't mean to beat up on the Sojourn,but I'd want more for the extra $350 than fancy trimmings. Kona Sutra is in the same price range with 105/XT/BB7.

I hear ya about the 26" wheels it would be nice. I will check out the Kona, thanks.
zeroderby is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 12:34 PM
  #31  
Port
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been considering the Sojourn to take over commuting and future touring duties, but thanks to this thread I'm taking another look at the Safari. I do prefer drop bars and I'm not sure how I'd like twist shifters, but for $850, I think I could get over that.

I do have one question, though. On REI's website, it lists the largest available Safari as 20 inches. I'm not familiar with mountain bike sizing, but that only comes out to a little over 50 centimeters. My road bike fits me perfectly and is a 60cm. I'm worried that the Safari would be far too small for me.

It would be a nice bike, though and could possibly save me from buying a touring and mountain bike.
Port is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 12:34 PM
  #32  
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroderby View Post
I am considering buying a Raleigh Sojourn for my 20km round trip commute...
Buy the Sojourn and send the Trek to me. I like the Trek more but that's just my preference.
BassNotBass is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 01:12 PM
  #33  
zeroderby
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zeroderby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass View Post
Buy the Sojourn and send the Trek to me. I like the Trek more but that's just my preference.
Ha ha, if I lived in Edmonton, KY instead of Edmonton, AB we probably could have worked something out.
zeroderby is offline  
Old 05-15-08, 09:28 AM
  #34  
zowie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The Sojourn and Safari are quite different. You can't choose between them just on the basis of perceived value for the dollar.
zowie is offline  
Old 05-15-08, 11:05 AM
  #35  
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Posts: 6,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Port View Post
I'm not sure how I'd like twist shifters, but for $850, I think I could get over that.
That was my one complaint. I ditched them for some SRAM double thumb triggers I got off eBay for like $40 and have been happy ever since.

Originally Posted by Port View Post
I do have one question, though. On REI's website, it lists the largest available Safari as 20 inches. I'm not familiar with mountain bike sizing, but that only comes out to a little over 50 centimeters. My road bike fits me perfectly and is a 60cm. I'm worried that the Safari would be far too small for me.
I usually ride a 56-58cm road bike,and an 18-20" MTB. I'm 6' w/a 33" inseam,and I think my Safari is an 18". Here's REI's sizing chart:
http://www.rei.com/rei/gearshop/size...06.html#safari

Also,the trekking bar and adj stem give you alot of leeway to dial-in your riding position and reach.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline  
Old 05-15-08, 11:09 AM
  #36  
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Posts: 6,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie View Post
The Sojourn and Safari are quite different. You can't choose between them just on the basis of perceived value for the dollar.
True,but you can go on owner reviews. The Sojourn is pretty close to the Sutra,Randonee,and either LHT or Crosscheck. A quick search will show what I've posted about my Safari. And as I've said;if I had the room I'd buy a second Safari just in case the first one got wrecked or stolen.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline  
Old 05-23-08, 10:24 AM
  #37  
sumguy
Senior Member
 
sumguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: nw ohio
Posts: 563

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the sojourn: any special care required for the leather handlebar wraps? OK for 4 season riding, rain, sleet, snow or shine?
dynaryder - the safari looks like it has foam handlebar wraps? Any problems? Do they get mushy when wet?
sumguy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.