Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for bike short recommendations

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Looking for bike short recommendations

Old 06-01-08, 12:13 PM
  #1  
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard
Thread Starter
 
SingingSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Secret mobile lair
Posts: 1,425

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for bike short recommendations

I have a few pairs of bike shorts for my 14 mile commute and want to get a few more, so as to do less laundry throughout the week.

I'm looking for something not too expensive and with a thin chamois (ride on a Brooks saddle). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, don't tell me to ride in street clothes. I sweat a lot and will be riding in 100º+ weather. It sucks to be a massage therapist with saddle sweat.

Thank you!
__________________
Shameless plugs:
Work
Photography
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
SingingSabre is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 12:27 PM
  #2  
FreddyV
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 52°57'N 6°21'E
Posts: 1,977

Bikes: Giant OCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a pair of Craft shorts. They're great, but not sure what exact type it is. Heat is being dissipated quite nicely, same goes for perspiration.
FreddyV is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 12:27 PM
  #3  
charles vail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
I have a few pairs of bike shorts for my 14 mile commute and want to get a few more, so as to do less laundry throughout the week.

I'm looking for something not too expensive and with a thin chamois (ride on a Brooks saddle). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, don't tell me to ride in street clothes. I sweat a lot and will be riding in 100º+ weather. It sucks to be a massage therapist with saddle sweat.
Thank you!
Andiamo underwear coupled with Nylon outer shorts of your choice. Cheap ($19 at Performance now) easy to wash, light padding, and the Nylon outers you can get at any hiking store or athletic outlet. Rivendell sells nice 'bicycling shorts' for $24 USA made and all. You can also just use wicking compression shorts available at Walmart. These are seamless and come in black or white and look like bike shorts, they wick moisture great and coupled with some nice fast drying outers of your choice, would do fine in hot weather. If you are riding a Brooks and you sweat a bunch you might want a saddle cover (Rivendell again $15)
charles vail is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 12:59 PM
  #4  
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9,052
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 35 Posts
I like hammer stuff. Which is basically re badged Voler for cheaper: link
UmneyDurak is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 03:01 PM
  #5  
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard
Thread Starter
 
SingingSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Secret mobile lair
Posts: 1,425

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

I used these for a while, but the stitching holding the chamois to the shorts tore.

I really want to find something similar to that, as it was perfect for riding and then just throwing a pair of pants over for going out, but I can't really trust the same shorts again.
__________________
Shameless plugs:
Work
Photography
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
SingingSabre is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 03:08 PM
  #6  
boog
Just Another Commuter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 205

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very happy with the quality and comfort of the shorts from J&G clothing. linky Not cheap, at $60 a pair, and I don't ride a Brooks, so not sure if the chamois would be too thick for you. But they hold up very well and are very comfy to me.

Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
I used these for a while, but the stitching holding the chamois to the shorts tore.
OT, but I've had this problem with other, non-cycling related, items from sierra trading post. That's the problem with seconds. I guess it's what I get for trying to be cheap

boog
__________________
“If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.”

--Dr. Carl Sagan
boog is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 03:44 PM
  #7  
d2create
Senior Member
 
d2create's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston we have a problem
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by charles vail View Post
Andiamo underwear coupled with Nylon outer shorts of your choice. Cheap ($19 at Performance now) easy to wash, light padding, and the Nylon outers you can get at any hiking store or athletic outlet. Rivendell sells nice 'bicycling shorts' for $24 USA made and all. You can also just use wicking compression shorts available at Walmart. These are seamless and come in black or white and look like bike shorts, they wick moisture great and coupled with some nice fast drying outers of your choice, would do fine in hot weather. If you are riding a Brooks and you sweat a bunch you might want a saddle cover (Rivendell again $15)
What's the advantage to the Andiamo/outer shorts combo over mtn bike shorts? Seems like the all-in-one mtn bike short would just be easier.

Saddle cover not needed. I have a brooks and I live in Houston. Nuff said.
d2create is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 03:46 PM
  #8  
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard
Thread Starter
 
SingingSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Secret mobile lair
Posts: 1,425

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boog View Post
I've been very happy with the quality and comfort of the shorts from J&G clothing. linky Not cheap, at $60 a pair, and I don't ride a Brooks, so not sure if the chamois would be too thick for you. But they hold up very well and are very comfy to me.



OT, but I've had this problem with other, non-cycling related, items from sierra trading post. That's the problem with seconds. I guess it's what I get for trying to be cheap

boog
I bought 4 shorts for Sierra Trading Post. 3 Canari, one PI. Only that one Canari failed... 25% failure rate is a bit high, but considering my proportions (huge legs from years of fencing) I can't really be terribly dissatisfied!

I'm looking at some PI tri shorts. Minimal padding and I may have an in with the company to get them wholesale... We'll see.
__________________
Shameless plugs:
Work
Photography
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
SingingSabre is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 03:48 PM
  #9  
SingingSabre 
BF's Level 12 Wizard
Thread Starter
 
SingingSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Secret mobile lair
Posts: 1,425

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create View Post
What's the advantage to the Andiamo/outer shorts combo over mtn bike shorts? Seems like the all-in-one mtn bike short would just be easier.

Saddle cover not needed. I have a brooks and I live in Houston. Nuff said.
Yup, saddle covers are superfluous in the desert!

I want as minimal fabric as possible for my summer riding...I don't take concessions for heat and push myself harder than I should during the 115º days!
__________________
Shameless plugs:
Work
Photography
Vanity
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.
SingingSabre is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:09 PM
  #10  
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Voler is my usual thrifty recommendation.

My current favorites are giordana silverlines. They fit me perfectly but cost around a $100 a pair.
DataJunkie is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:37 PM
  #11  
ottawa_adam
Senior Member
 
ottawa_adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa Canada
Posts: 448

Bikes: kona dew hybrid, MEC shadowlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
Voler is my usual thrifty recommendation.

My current favorites are giordana silverlines. They fit me perfectly but cost around a $100 a pair.
Do you prefer the shorts or the bibs?
ottawa_adam is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:46 PM
  #12  
charles vail
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweaty Clyde

Originally Posted by d2create View Post
What's the advantage to the Andiamo/outer shorts combo over mtn bike shorts? Seems like the all-in-one mtn bike short would just be easier.

Saddle cover not needed. I have a brooks and I live in Houston. Nuff said.
The thin padding as the poster requested plus the cost. At $20 you can buy three pair and always have something to wear while others are in the wash. Outers can be either shorts, baggies, knickers or longs depending on choice. Actually, the compression shorts are less expensive, have no unnecessary padding and they wick moisture just fine. The O.P.'s minimal fabric preference seemed to point in this direction. I used the compression shorts with inexpensive outer shorts and they work really nice in hot weather. I'm a 'Clyde' so I need a cover to minimize saddle stretching due to rain or sweat in hot weather.
charles vail is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 05:48 AM
  #13  
DataJunkie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ottawa_adam View Post
Do you prefer the shorts or the bibs?

Bibs by far. I don't have much of the way in hips and they fit much better for me.
DataJunkie is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 01:07 PM
  #14  
elbows
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 389

Bikes: Masi Speciale Randonneur, Fuji del Ray, Co-Motion Speedster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
considering my proportions (huge legs from years of fencing)
If you decide to try Andiamos, beware of the sizing. I also have huge legs from years of fencing, and I think I had to go up two sizes from what the chart recommended (based on waist size) before they fit my thighs comfortably.

Performance makes something similar, and I found their sizing worked a little better for me.
elbows is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.