Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

DIY panniers and saddle bags

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

DIY panniers and saddle bags

Old 06-01-08, 07:18 PM
  #1  
chingon77
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DIY panniers and saddle bags

Does anyone here have any DIY panniers and saddle bags? The pricing on these type of products is way to much for me. I'm curious to see how some of you McGuiver your bags/backpacks/rock sacks.e.t.c. onto your racks other then a milk crate and zip ties.
chingon77 is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 07:41 PM
  #2  
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=236014








Last edited by Allen; 06-01-08 at 08:09 PM.
Allen is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 07:59 PM
  #3  
guitarguy
Ride because you want to
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near the NY capital
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not exactly what your looking for, but, I "Borrowed" this from a local chain grocery store. Fits my small cooler and change of work clothes just fine, ziptied to a rack from the LBS.

guitarguy is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:14 PM
  #4  
steppinthefunk 
Designer
 
steppinthefunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sling bag from Army Surplus Store. Cost about $15.00 I think.



Willie and Max motorcycle panniers. $65.00

__________________
steppinthefunk is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:16 PM
  #5  
steppinthefunk 
Designer
 
steppinthefunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice Gitzo. I have that same one with an Acratech ballhead.
__________________
steppinthefunk is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:19 PM
  #6  
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthefunk View Post
Nice bike. That's beautiful.
Allen is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:28 PM
  #7  
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando
 
ax0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 2,400

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://wheelrevolution.blogspot.com/...ucket-diy.html

Use those cat-litter buckets with lids and you have a nice splash and mist-resistant seal, too.
ax0n is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:29 PM
  #8  
chingon77
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
Nice bike. That's beautiful.
word. that sure is purty. I was thinking of visiting an army surplus store to see what they have.

Last edited by chingon77; 06-01-08 at 08:33 PM.
chingon77 is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:44 PM
  #9  
chingon77
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. So i'm guesing you spent around $20 on parts, i'm basing that on the website http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...st.asp?scat=21
Looks like i'll need the top rail,lower hook, top hooks and inserts.
The arkel cam lock hook kit also looks doable.
chingon77 is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:46 PM
  #10  
chinotex
Senior Member
 
chinotex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 663

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthefunk View Post
Sling bag from Army Surplus Store. Cost about $15.00 I think.



Willie and Max motorcycle panniers. $65.00

Do those fenders actually do anything, besides keeping the brake cables clean?
chinotex is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:54 PM
  #11  
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chingon77 View Post
Nice. So i'm guesing you spent around $20 on parts, i'm basing that on the website http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/...st.asp?scat=21
Looks like i'll need the top rail,lower hook, top hooks and inserts.
The arkel cam lock hook kit also looks doable.
That's about right.
If you have a soft sided bag, put a stiffening board inside of it. It'll keep the bag from getting tangled in the spokes.
Allen is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 08:54 PM
  #12  
steppinthefunk 
Designer
 
steppinthefunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chinotex View Post
Do those fenders actually do anything, besides keeping the brake cables clean?
well, aside from keeping the brakes clean they also keep me busy on rough roads by rubbing on the tires, forcing me to reach down mid ride to adjust them.

Maybe I should just take 'em off?
__________________
steppinthefunk is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:12 PM
  #13  
tekknoschtev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too was overwhelmed by the cost of manufactured panniers, especially in the size I was looking for. My requirements were that it be large enough to hold my daily commuting stuff like a change of clothes and shoes, and have the ability to carry more if I picked something up at work. I also wanted to be able to safely transport my laptop in the bag when the semester picks back up or if I needed to bring it to a work meeting. I also wanted it to have a pocket where I could shove a spare tube and some tools and my pocket's contents since riding with two sets of keys, a phone, leatherman and full wallet isn't as fun as not riding with them But, something commercial that fits the bill was pricey. So I got to improvising.

I was picking my rack up from a local thrift shop because it needed modification to fit my bike which lacked the rack bosses and I wasn't going to buy a brand new one to experiment with On the same trip I found an old luggage bag/back pack. It has a rigid back for the handle and wheels, but also has a pocket that back pack straps were tucked into! PERFECT.





Note, in that last photo, the excess bungee cord only existed while I was experimenting with the tension. Once it was snapped into place, I zip-tied the excess up so it wouldn't swing into the wheel. Less than $5 in parts (and I have plenty spare hooks, nuts, and a spare bungee) and I had a rather large pannier. It works nearly as well as some of the store bought ones I've found and this can take a beating. If you're familiar with Michigan roads, you'll know that they're bad but I've never once had this pannier come off on me.

The total cost was just under $30 for the rack, bag and hardware. I still need to put some plastic or rubber around the hooks as they've scratched the paint on the rack, but other than that I consider it perfect for my needs. It can fit (with a little room to spare) two full changes of clothes, a pair of shoes, my laptop and power adapter, toiletry kit, camera, pocket contents, bike lock and some tools. Definitely fits my requirements. Maybe something similar would work for you.
tekknoschtev is offline  
Old 06-01-08, 10:34 PM
  #14  
chingon77
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tekknoschtev View Post
I too was overwhelmed by the cost of manufactured panniers, especially in the size I was looking for. My requirements were that it be large enough to hold my daily commuting stuff like a change of clothes and shoes, and have the ability to carry more if I picked something up at work. I also wanted to be able to safely transport my laptop in the bag when the semester picks back up or if I needed to bring it to a work meeting. I also wanted it to have a pocket where I could shove a spare tube and some tools and my pocket's contents since riding with two sets of keys, a phone, leatherman and full wallet isn't as fun as not riding with them But, something commercial that fits the bill was pricey. So I got to improvising.

I was picking my rack up from a local thrift shop because it needed modification to fit my bike which lacked the rack bosses and I wasn't going to buy a brand new one to experiment with On the same trip I found an old luggage bag/back pack. It has a rigid back for the handle and wheels, but also has a pocket that back pack straps were tucked into! PERFECT.





Note, in that last photo, the excess bungee cord only existed while I was experimenting with the tension. Once it was snapped into place, I zip-tied the excess up so it wouldn't swing into the wheel. Less than $5 in parts (and I have plenty spare hooks, nuts, and a spare bungee) and I had a rather large pannier. It works nearly as well as some of the store bought ones I've found and this can take a beating. If you're familiar with Michigan roads, you'll know that they're bad but I've never once had this pannier come off on me.

The total cost was just under $30 for the rack, bag and hardware. I still need to put some plastic or rubber around the hooks as they've scratched the paint on the rack, but other than that I consider it perfect for my needs. It can fit (with a little room to spare) two full changes of clothes, a pair of shoes, my laptop and power adapter, toiletry kit, camera, pocket contents, bike lock and some tools. Definitely fits my requirements. Maybe something similar would work for you.
Thats what i'm talking about.
You people are giving me some good DIY'ing ideas.
chingon77 is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 06:43 AM
  #15  
adebrunner
Senior Member
 
adebrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 167

Bikes: Sanwa road bike with SunTour components. Gary Fisher Joshua F1 with XTR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthefunk View Post
Sling bag from Army Surplus Store. Cost about $15.00 I think.



Willie and Max motorcycle panniers. $65.00

My God that's an awesome bike!

As for the pannier thing. Army surplus stores online will provide you with a ton of solutions. An ammo can could easily be zip tied to the rear rack and they're usually lockable as well as waterproof and you can get them in a lot of different sizes. Usually about 15 bucks for some decently sized ones.
adebrunner is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 06:53 AM
  #16  
mojomuskrat
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this is DIY it might be useful to include a snapshot/explanation of the attachment mechanisms. Some nice ideas so far!
mojomuskrat is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 07:29 AM
  #17  
n4zou
Scott
 
n4zou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,393

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used PVC plumbing pipe to make a support frame for your run of the mill cheap backpack.

I just made the pipe frame fit the backpack and used Velcro straps to hold it to the pipe frame using the shoulder straps. No sewing required and you can always remove the backpack and use it for it's intended purpose.

See the panniers on the front rack? There surplus gas mack bags. I just sewed a couple of straps to them and removed the shoulder and leg straps.
If you don't mind other cyclists calling out "Hay Fred, to your left" as there passing you plastic bucket panniers are easy and very cheap.

Mounting them is super easy.

The aluminum angle is attached to the bucket under the support lip with 4 screws, fender washers, and nuts. Not shown is a #8 U nut for a #8 screw used to prevent the pannier from jumping up and off the rack when encountering a bump. The two longer screws are used as hooks. Here is a photo of the aluminum angle bolted to the bucket.

Note the U nut now shown on the aluminum angle. The ball bungee keeps downward pressure on the bucket. Here is a view of the inside with commuting stuff as well.

Last edited by n4zou; 06-02-08 at 07:33 AM.
n4zou is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 07:29 AM
  #18  
KonradNYC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 221

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Trek 520 & gaspipe fixed gear beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my DIY panniers:
http://www.konradprojects.net/blog/2...t-yourself.htm

They are modified army surplus bags. Check the link for pictures and explanation.
KonradNYC is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 09:45 AM
  #19  
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While DIY is often the only choice for some it's possible (I did) to find
a really nice pair of panniers on e-bay.

Many folk's buy expensive bike stuff then discover you sweat when
you ride and give up. So it's off to e-bay with the whole
bike idea.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline  
Old 06-02-08, 09:58 AM
  #20  
c_m_shooter
Senior Member
 
c_m_shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paradise, TX
Posts: 1,553

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Redline Monocog 29er, Generic Track bike, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The front bags were an army surplus find. $10 dollars apeice and I just bolted them to the rack. The rear boxes get thrown away at work, so I got a couple and mounted hooks on them to hang them on the rear rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Loaded Cross Check.jpg (96.9 KB, 126 views)
c_m_shooter is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.