Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   Beat this accessory (https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/598779-beat-accessory.html)

bugly64 10-29-09 06:51 PM

Beat this accessory
 
This is the ultimate accessory. I am sorry I didn't have any Obsidian Stout for the first use.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/101_1115.jpg

bugly64 10-29-09 06:54 PM

oops
 
forgot the action shot!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/101_1117.jpg

I_bRAD 10-29-09 07:17 PM

They have beer in cans too.

chipcom 10-29-09 07:18 PM


Originally Posted by I_bRAD (Post 9950624)
They have beer in cans too.

be gone, cretin...they don't have GOOD beer in cans! :notamused:

I_bRAD 10-29-09 07:19 PM

Well maybe not, but if you deserve the good beer you can crack it without a schmancy gizmo.

mikewille 10-29-09 07:20 PM

It needs an anti-vibrational inertial-dampening beerholder to go with it.
That'd be good for on the riding mower too. The cupholder I have on there
can shake a beer into foam faster than i can.

hairnet 10-29-09 07:20 PM

You know you can use old quill stems as bottle openers. A while ago I saw some video of the TDF where people , mid ride, would take out bottles from their food sacks and tap the caps on the stem bolt. Well I tried it and it works really well! I can't find the video though :(

That's badass, but I have too many bottle openers. My Chrome bag has one, my multi tool has one, my Pedro's Trixie has one, and my bike counts as one.

chipcom 10-29-09 07:20 PM


Originally Posted by I_bRAD (Post 9950636)
Well maybe not, but if you deserve the good beer you can crack it without a schmancy gizmo.

my gawd man, are you a communist! Why do you hate capitalism?

semperfi1970 10-29-09 07:21 PM

Ooohhhh man I got to get one of thoes.

Big Pete 10-29-09 07:21 PM

I live in FL and thats all I have to say about that =)

chipcom 10-29-09 07:22 PM


Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 9950644)
You know you can use old quill stems as bottle openers. A while ago I saw some video of the TDF where people , mid ride, you go into their food sacks, pull out a bottle and tap the cap on the stem. Well I tried it and it works really well!

That's badass, but I have too many bottle openers. My Chrome bag has one, my multi tool has one, my Pedro's Trixie has one, and my bike counts as one.

In case you all didn't know it...if you ain't got an opener and can't crack it with you teeth like a manly man, SPD pedals have been known to open bottles.

DX-MAN 10-29-09 07:23 PM

Santa Cruz puts 'em on the derailleur hanger, and Salsa does it off the seatpost clamp. A lot more practical, IMO.

While Fat Tire comes in cans, it's about 3x better out of the bottle.

Personally, I prefer to keep my bike and beer separate -- they get jealous of each other.

mikewille 10-29-09 07:24 PM

My bike gets jealous if it sees me drink a beer and we're not riding.

barturtle 10-29-09 07:32 PM


Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 9950631)
be gone, cretin...they don't have GOOD beer in cans! :notamused:

Going way off topic here:

Yes they do have good beer in cans: most of the Fuller's line is in cans now, Hobgobblin, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Dales Pale Ale and Old Chub (as well as the rest of the Oskar Blues Line). Micro Canning is the hot new thing in microbrews.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pa...-beer-in-a-can

chipcom 10-29-09 07:36 PM


Originally Posted by barturtle (Post 9950703)
Going way off topic here:

Yes they do have good beer in cans: most of the Fuller's line is in cans now, Hobgobblin, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Dales Pale Ale and Old Chub (as well as the rest of the Oskar Blues Line). Micro Canning is the hot new thing in microbrews.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pa...-beer-in-a-can

incorrect...once it gets put in a can, it is no longer good beer...even if it was good going in.
Plus drinking beer from cans is so....uncivilized. I'm afraid I'll faint dead away even contemplating such a horror. I hate you neanderthals...but not as much as I hate orcs.

fuzz2050 10-29-09 07:41 PM

I have
Check out this bike (Rawlands, Olaf)
http://www.rawlandcycles.com/_uls/st...and_olaf_2.jpg

iforgotmename 10-29-09 07:49 PM

I'm down another $15....but I have a wisecracker on the way:beer:

barturtle 10-29-09 07:53 PM


Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 9950733)
incorrect...once it gets put in a can, it is no longer good beer...even if it was good going in.
Plus drinking beer from cans is so....uncivilized. I'm afraid I'll faint dead away even contemplating such a horror. I hate you neanderthals...but not as much as I hate orcs.

Oh geez! You don't drink it from the can, just store it and ship it, much like a very very small keg (which is just a big ass can.) Drinking from bottles is just as bad as drinking from cans. Cans do a much better job of protecting the wonderful malty nectar than bottles do, as they completely block out light, which is the major cause of skunky beer.

intheways 10-29-09 07:58 PM

You deserve two beers for commuting in Great Falls:thumb:

chipcom 10-29-09 07:58 PM


Originally Posted by barturtle (Post 9950814)
Oh geez! You don't drink it from the can, just store it and ship it, much like a very very small keg (which is just a big ass can.) Drinking from bottles is just as bad as drinking from cans. Cans do a much better job of protecting the wonderful malty nectar than bottles do, as they completely block out light, which is the major cause of skunky beer.

the fish, they be a biting tonight! lemme help you with that hook :lol:

fuzz2050 10-29-09 10:06 PM


Originally Posted by barturtle (Post 9950814)
Oh geez! You don't drink it from the can, just store it and ship it, much like a very very small keg (which is just a big ass can.) Drinking from bottles is just as bad as drinking from cans. Cans do a much better job of protecting the wonderful malty nectar than bottles do, as they completely block out light, which is the major cause of skunky beer.

The real problem with cans and beer in particular has nothing to do with the package itself. Both glass and metal are completely impervious to oxygen, the major cause of beer spoilage, and the amber glass used in beer bottles blocks 90 someodd percent of the damaging light.

Cans come out ahead in two regards, they don't shatter of you drop them, and they don't require an awesome bike accessory to open.

The one real disadvantage to cans though is cost. The equipment needed to package you product in an aluminium can is orders of magnitude more expensive than the bottling equipment. This has typically meant that only companies with more capital (Budweiser and the like) have been able to afford the canning operation, and more highly thought of microbreweries stick with bottles, cause they work just as well, but cost less. You can see how this dichotomy led to the perception that canned beers are somehow inferior to bottled beer, but it's simply correlation, not causation.

and anyway, drinking beer from either a bottle or a can is blasphemous, beer deserves it's own glass.

LesterOfPuppets 10-29-09 11:48 PM

I don't mind a boddingtons out of the can from time to time.

That gizmo in that orientation makes my knee hurt. I know it's not THAT likely if you've a long enough top tube, but it still scares me.

QuickityJacks 10-30-09 12:07 AM

This is one of the most spectacular examples of thread derail I've ever seen.

barturtle 10-30-09 12:34 AM


Originally Posted by QuickityJacks (Post 9951924)
This is one of the most spectacular examples of thread derail I've ever seen.

Ah, come on! The post was about a bottle opener. Some discussion about the proper type of bottles is necessary (or more accurately, what those bottles contain)....followed of course by whether bottles (and hence the bottle opener) and even required (in this case, are there options available that would provide satisfactory performance that don't require such a device.)

My vote: not a necessity, but useful for maintaining optimum compatibility with locally sourced materials.:roflmao2:

Randochap 10-30-09 12:40 AM

If I try to open a beer on my carbon fiber frame, will it explode? .... no, the frame not the beer.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.