Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Driver kills cyclist, thought he was a deer?

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Driver kills cyclist, thought he was a deer?

Reply

Old 11-04-09, 07:24 AM
  #1  
tarwheel 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8,906

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Driver kills cyclist, thought he was a deer?

Yeah right. Tell it to the judge.

I've been following this hit-and-run case involving a cyclist in Greensboro, NC, and it keeps getting stranger. From initial reports, it sounded like the usual cyclist hit from the rear. Later reports indicated that the driver crossed the centerline and hit the cyclist head on. Then she did a U-turn and drove off. Now she claims that she thought she hit a deer. Good grief.

Driver's windshield aroused suspicion
http://www.news-record.com/content/2...used_suspicion

Motorist charged in death of bicyclist
http://www.news-record.com/content/2...arged_in_death

Motorist sought in death of cyclist
http://www.news-record.com/content/2...ath_of_cyclist
tarwheel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 08:50 AM
  #2  
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 8,112
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
That woman is a menace. That's the second time she'd got caught going over the center line. Who knows how many times she'd done it before. And no driver's license? She shouldn't be driving. I'm not familiar with the area at all. Are there public transportation options?

You wonder what her history is.
tjspiel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 09:16 AM
  #3  
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,776

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Anyone caught driving without a license should immediately and without recourse have their vehicle confiscated and sold at auction and receive none of the proceeds. AND they should do time, since society has determined that they shouldn't be driving, and they've shown that they intend to drive anyway, so the only sensible course is to make damn sure thay CAN'T drive.

That's even BEFORE anything else they did.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 09:33 AM
  #4  
CCrew
Older than dirt
 
CCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 5,342

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anything that says why she was revoked?
CCrew is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 09:34 AM
  #5  
dipy911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I prefer the Judge Dredd approach. Blow up the car right there on the spot on repeat offenders.
dipy911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 09:57 AM
  #6  
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 8,112
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Let me preface what I'm about to say by emphasizing that I'm not excusing what this woman did. From what it sounds like she didn't even stop to see if the bicyclist was still alive. For all she knew he could have just been severely injured and possibly survived if she had gotten help.

Having said that, one reason people insist on driving even though they know they shouldn't is that in so many parts of this country there are few good alternatives. I had to deal with this when my mother could no longer drive. It's not unlike being under house arrest. In my mother's case she had some options but was too proud to take advantage of them or felt she couldn't afford them. I'm talking about the type of transportation available for people with disabilities.

Had she lived somewhere where taking public transportation was normal or where she was in walking distance of places of interest it would have been a different story. She might still be alive. The exercise alone would have made a huge difference.

As it was, she was isolated and dependent on others to get her places. We managed as best we could to help her but not being able to drive severely impacted her quality of life.

In that regard, we in this forum are ahead of the game.
tjspiel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 10:07 AM
  #7  
CbadRider
Senior Member
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Posts: 5,963

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hey, part of her story is true: "I looked and I didn't see a deer."

She just forgot to mention the guy she saw lying in the road.
__________________
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 10:14 AM
  #8  
Foofy
Ha ha HA! Me likey bikey!
 
Foofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posts: 311

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
Let me preface what I'm about to say by emphasizing that I'm not excusing what this woman did. From what it sounds like she didn't even stop to see if the bicyclist was still alive. For all she knew he could have just been severely injured and possibly survived if she had gotten help.

Having said that, one reason people insist on driving even though they know they shouldn't is that in so many parts of this country there are few good alternatives. I had to deal with this when my mother could no longer drive. It's not unlike being under house arrest. In my mother's case she had some options but was too proud to take advantage of them or felt she couldn't afford them. I'm talking about the type of transportation available for people with disabilities.

Had she lived somewhere where taking public transportation was normal or where she was in walking distance of places of interest it would have been a different story. She might still be alive. The exercise alone would have made a huge difference.

As it was, she was isolated and dependent on others to get her places. We managed as best we could to help her but not being able to drive severely impacted her quality of life.

In that regard, we in this forum are ahead of the game.
In my hometown the transit company closed shop a couple years ago, leaving many elderly citizens and anyone who needed some form of public transportation in the dark.

I imagine a lot of those people have since either purchased cars, or are now getting rides from family/friends. Putting people into these situations of needing vehicles or chauffeurs can be a big problem. Many can't afford a vehicle, and requiring rides from family or friends can be undesirable due to culture and/or family dynamics. Car sharing isn't something many people want to do, as many throughout the US have the belief that adults should be self-sufficient with transportation (in other words, have their own car). It can also undesirable to many because it driving someone else around to do errands and appointments can take a lot of time.
Foofy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 10:36 AM
  #9  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 22,001

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
and no blood alcohol test because they didn't catch up with until the next day?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 11:24 AM
  #10  
JeffS
not a role model
 
JeffS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
and no blood alcohol test because they didn't catch up with until the next day?
This is why hit and run should be a much more serious offense. I mean like 5 years, no exceptions, serious.
JeffS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 11:35 AM
  #11  
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner
 
Mos6502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,660

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
Having said that, one reason people insist on driving even though they know they shouldn't is that in so many parts of this country there are few good alternatives.
Most people drive when they know they shouldn't because they are selfish jackasses, like the uninsured driver who totaled my car... Had no right to be driving a motor vehicle at all, and him rear ending me at a red light and totaling my car pretty much proved the point. (I'd point out before anybody thinks maybe I slammed on my brakes, that I had been waiting at the red light completely stationary for just over a minute before he showed up).

Getting a license is so easy I'd be willing to bet good money that even a 10 year old could pass the tests if given the chance. If you cannot drive a car, something is seriously wrong with you.

And you know what is a good alternative? A bicycle.
Mos6502 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 11:46 AM
  #12  
grimace308
crash 5
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mpls
Posts: 262

Bikes: 90s? serotta t-max, 09' planet x ti frame w/sram force, '10 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
Hey, part of her story is true: "I looked and I didn't see a deer."

She just forgot to mention the guy she saw lying in the road.
im not going to make any friends by saying this, but i can understand her not seeing anything.

last week, i spent 2 days ripping apart my condo looking for a manila folder, that contained some VA paperwork. as it turned out the folder was green and sitting next to me on my computer desk.

in casual conversation with a friend a while back, i mused as to why there were so many people wandering around a condo with sunglasses and canes, where i used to live. the dude blows beer out his nose laughing and informs me that there is a school for the blind across the street...i had lived there 5 years.

driving with no licence - no good
crossing the line - very bad
not seeing something like a guy in the road when im looking for a deer, i can actually see this happening.

that being said, im sure shes lying, but...

Last edited by grimace308; 11-04-09 at 05:18 PM.
grimace308 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 11:52 AM
  #13  
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 8,112
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mos6502 View Post
Most people drive when they know they shouldn't because they are selfish jackasses, like the uninsured driver who totaled my car... Had no right to be driving a motor vehicle at all, and him rear ending me at a red light and totaling my car pretty much proved the point. (I'd point out before anybody thinks maybe I slammed on my brakes, that I had been waiting at the red light completely stationary for just over a minute before he showed up).

Getting a license is so easy I'd be willing to bet good money that even a 10 year old could pass the tests if given the chance. If you cannot drive a car, something is seriously wrong with you.

And you know what is a good alternative? A bicycle.
Not defending anyone who's driving when they shouldn't. Just pointing out that not having a good alternative only makes it more likely that these people will get behind the wheel anyway.

A bicycle is a good alternative for more people than would ever consider it. However, if you're not capable of driving safely, I have serious doubts about your ability to ride a bike safely on the streets.
tjspiel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 12:00 PM
  #14  
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,776

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
Having said that, one reason people insist on driving even though they know they shouldn't is that in so many parts of this country there are few good alternatives.
For the most part I'm talking about people who have their licenses revoked due to some kind of incident. You don't get your license revoked unless you have done something GRIEVOUSLY WRONG, or you have MANY traffic infractions on your license. Both of these are clear indications that you don't give a flying f89* about other people on the road. I can't be bothered to care much if someone who has been running red lights or ran someone down drunk then has a hard time getting to work.

And as much as I understand that sometimes people become incapacitated to the point where they lose their license, they shouldn't be on the road either.

The roads are there for the public good. It should be a basic assumption that if you get on a public road, that the other people on it have at least some slight concern for not injuring other people on the road, and that they have the necessary skills and attention to their task to not be a danger to other people.

Yes, it's a tough thing to lose your license. But for the most part, it happens because you're a selfish f#*@ing jacka55, or you're physically incapable of safely driving, and in either case it's in everyone's best interest that you are not in a position to hurt someone.

That's a hard thing to deal with, but life isn't always easy or fair. I'd argue that for the people who have their licences revoked for idiocy, incompetence or gross selfishness, life has already been MORE than fair to them, and it's time for them to suck it for their own actions.
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 12:01 PM
  #15  
ItsJustMe
Seņior Member
 
ItsJustMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,776

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
Not defending anyone who's driving when they shouldn't. Just pointing out that not having a good alternative only makes it more likely that these people will get behind the wheel anyway.
And that's exactly why I say that if they demonstrate that they're going to drive anyway, the next logical step is to make sure that they CAN'T drive anyway. Either take their wheels away from them, lock them up, or both. If you can't be a grownup and face up to the consequences of your previous actions by your own will, then we'll make you face up AGAINST your will.

This is too important a thing to just keep telling people "well, you're an a55, and you clearly don't care that you don't have a license, but we're telling you again, don't drive anymore."
__________________
Work: the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
ItsJustMe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 12:05 PM
  #16  
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 8,112
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Originally Posted by grimace308 View Post
im not going to make any friends by saying this, but i can understand her not seeing anything.

last week, i spent 2 days ripping apart my condo looking for a manila folder, that contained some VA paperwork. as it turned out the folder was green and sitting next to me on my computer desk.

in casual conversation with a friend a while back, i mused as to why there were so many people wandering around a condo, where i used to live. the dude blows beer out his nose laughing and informs me that there is a school for the blind across the street...i had lived there 5 years.

driving with no licence - no good
crossing the line - very bad
not seeing something like a guy in the road when im looking for a deer, i can actually see this happening.

that being said, im sure shes lying, but...
I agree it's plausible. Don't know if she fell asleep, was drunk or what but it's doubtful she saw anything until after the collision. Let's assume this happened where it's more common to see animals on the road than pedestrians. If I dozed off, wandered over the centerline only to be jolted awake by a crash and the sight of blood on my windshield, I might assume it was an animal too. Another vehicle would have caused more damage.

However, turning around and not seeing a body on the side of the road seems unlikely. More likely is that she merely "hoped" it was an animal and didn't want to find out otherwise.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-04-09 at 12:14 PM.
tjspiel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 12:13 PM
  #17  
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 8,112
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
And that's exactly why I say that if they demonstrate that they're going to drive anyway, the next logical step is to make sure that they CAN'T drive anyway. Either take their wheels away from them, lock them up, or both. If you can't be a grownup and face up to the consequences of your previous actions by your own will, then we'll make you face up AGAINST your will.

This is too important a thing to just keep telling people "well, you're an a55, and you clearly don't care that you don't have a license, but we're telling you again, don't drive anymore."
I agree. It's totally foreign to me though which is why I'm curious about her history. There's times I've left my wallet at work. I'll put off driving if at all possible because I can't stand the idea of driving without a license in my pocket. Driving without a license at all? Especially if I'd already been busted for doing it?
tjspiel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 12:54 PM
  #18  
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner
 
Mos6502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,660

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She is probably the typical "I have a right to drive" moron, who doesn't think the entire whole rest of the world is right in not letting her have a license... in essence the very last person who should ever be allowed to drive a car.
Mos6502 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 01:11 PM
  #19  
ottothecow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
I agree. It's totally foreign to me though which is why I'm curious about her history. There's times I've left my wallet at work. I'll put off driving if at all possible because I can't stand the idea of driving without a license in my pocket. Driving without a license at all? Especially if I'd already been busted for doing it?
Is that actually a problem where you are? Where my license is issued, it is just an inconvenience. You have to present your actual license at the police station within a certain time limit (and really, its not like they can't just pull up your license information on the computer).

That being said, driving without a license really does seem like it should carry a stiffer penalty than it seems to. Unlawful possession of a firearm can be a pretty serious offense and an idiot behind the wheel can be far more dangerous than a jackass with an illegal weapon for self defense (who may never take it from under their pillow rather than onto public streets)
ottothecow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 01:30 PM
  #20  
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot
 
wunderkind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where I used to live... Ontario Canada, one is allowed to take the killed deer home. Uhmm yeah. I'll leave it at that.
wunderkind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 01:45 PM
  #21  
tarwheel 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8,906

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Someone her age who does not have a license in all probability had her driving privileges revoked. You generally get your driving privileges revoked by driving while intoxicated, reckless driving and other serious offenses. Whether she has access to public transportation or not is HER problem because she lost her driving privileges by showing reckless disregard. She belongs in jail.
tarwheel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 06:55 PM
  #22  
semperfi1970
Senior Member
 
semperfi1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Finger lakes N.Y.
Posts: 126

Bikes: trek 4800, trek 4300, trek 1.5, nashbar touring frame build, 1985 takara medalion, 1982 motobicane mirage sport and a few pieced together rigs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im not known for being mr. feel good, so with that being said she should burn in hell after being ran over by a truck herself, the dumb B#&?h.
semperfi1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:01 PM
  #23  
Ka_Jun
Who farted?
 
Ka_Jun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,287

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
For the most part I'm talking about people who have their licenses revoked due to some kind of incident. You don't get your license revoked unless you have done something GRIEVOUSLY WRONG, or you have MANY traffic infractions on your license. Both of these are clear indications that you don't give a flying f89* about other people on the road. I can't be bothered to care much if someone who has been running red lights or ran someone down drunk then has a hard time getting to work.

And as much as I understand that sometimes people become incapacitated to the point where they lose their license, they shouldn't be on the road either.

The roads are there for the public good. It should be a basic assumption that if you get on a public road, that the other people on it have at least some slight concern for not injuring other people on the road, and that they have the necessary skills and attention to their task to not be a danger to other people.

Yes, it's a tough thing to lose your license. But for the most part, it happens because you're a selfish f#*@ing jacka55, or you're physically incapable of safely driving, and in either case it's in everyone's best interest that you are not in a position to hurt someone.

That's a hard thing to deal with, but life isn't always easy or fair. I'd argue that for the people who have their licences revoked for idiocy, incompetence or gross selfishness, life has already been MORE than fair to them, and it's time for them to suck it for their own actions.
No one understands the social contract, man.
Ka_Jun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:24 PM
  #24  
semperfi1970
Senior Member
 
semperfi1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Finger lakes N.Y.
Posts: 126

Bikes: trek 4800, trek 4300, trek 1.5, nashbar touring frame build, 1985 takara medalion, 1982 motobicane mirage sport and a few pieced together rigs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont. So what is the social contract?
semperfi1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 07:32 PM
  #25  
neil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
Not defending anyone who's driving when they shouldn't. Just pointing out that not having a good alternative only makes it more likely that these people will get behind the wheel anyway.

A bicycle is a good alternative for more people than would ever consider it. However, if you're not capable of driving safely, I have serious doubts about your ability to ride a bike safely on the streets.
Of course, riding the bus is a good alternative for more people than would ever consider it, too. There's more than enough people who stubbornly ignore their suspended drivers license in places where there are plenty of realistic alternatives (most of which are also more affordable than driving).

The unwillingness of people to consider the alternatives and stick to what they know is no excuse. There's always an alternative, regardless of where you live. Sometimes it's less convenient, true, but your convenience doesn't overide everybody else's right to safely use the roads.
neil is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service