Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Nearly hit by a fellow cyclist this morning!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Nearly hit by a fellow cyclist this morning!

Old 08-18-10, 09:00 AM
  #1  
bhdavis1978
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 396

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nearly hit by a fellow cyclist this morning!

I was riding in to work this morning, and another cyclist nearly crashed into me. I was riding along the road in the bike lane coming up to an intersection. I had a green light, but I saw another cyclist coming towards the intersection from a cross street. The cyclist didn't slowed down to watch for traffic, but didn't come to a stop. A few cars pass me, and go through the intersection (it was still green in my direction), and then he starts off through the intersection and nearly plows into me- whiskey tango foxtrot? I had to swerve way around him and pull into the oncoming traffic lane to avoid him. Thankfully there wasn't any other traffic on the road so I was able to do that, but jeez man, pay attention! The guy was riding without a helmet and seemed to be utterly clueless. He just kept on his merry way without acknowledging the near collision that he caused.
bhdavis1978 is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 09:02 AM
  #2  
chriswrong
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's no cyclist, that's an a-hole of the highest caliber! Glad to hear you came out of it unscathed mate. You should get one of those air horns to blare at jerks like that =p
chriswrong is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 09:07 AM
  #3  
CbadRider
Senior Member
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Posts: 5,935

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few years ago there was a news story here about a cyclist who T-boned an Amtrak train. Ran right into the side of it. The police determined it wasn't a suicide, he was just a clueless idiot.

I'm glad you weren't hurt.
__________________
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 09:47 AM
  #4  
Spire
山馬鹿
 
Spire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Fuchu, Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,407

Bikes: TREK 1000 and a junk bike with a basket on the front to go to the shops.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you were OK.

Time for the old 'cyclist' vs 'guy on a bike' distinction!
__________________
https://www.sporra.net - Cycling Motivator
https://www.cyclistsroadmap.com/eng/ - Cyclists' road map. Checkout which roads are good for cycling and rate roads in your area.
Spire is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 10:05 AM
  #5  
lucille
Senior Member
 
lucille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt!

What an idiot! Then you hear on the news about a cyclist killed in a traffic accident, and automatically think it was driver's fault. I really wish police would start slapping tickets for breaking rules of the road.
lucille is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 10:17 AM
  #6  
Spire
山馬鹿
 
Spire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Fuchu, Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,407

Bikes: TREK 1000 and a junk bike with a basket on the front to go to the shops.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Glad you weren't hurt!

What an idiot! Then you hear on the news about a cyclist killed in a traffic accident, and automatically think it was driver's fault. I really wish police would start slapping tickets for breaking rules of the road.
We could get into the discussion of police enforcement of rules and what not yet again here, but I would like to point out that just because one breaks the rules doesn't not mean that one necessarily needlessly endangers others. I think there is a distinction that needs to be drawn there.
__________________
https://www.sporra.net - Cycling Motivator
https://www.cyclistsroadmap.com/eng/ - Cyclists' road map. Checkout which roads are good for cycling and rate roads in your area.
Spire is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 11:31 AM
  #7  
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot
 
wunderkind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Glad you weren't hurt!

What an idiot! Then you hear on the news about a cyclist killed in a traffic accident, and automatically think it was driver's fault. I really wish police would start slapping tickets for breaking rules of the road.
Hahaha... don't let the A&S followers read this. Or it's death to you.
wunderkind is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 11:37 AM
  #8  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 37,578

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7750 Post(s)
Liked 2,815 Times in 1,530 Posts
Originally Posted by chriswrong View Post
That's no cyclist, that's an a-hole of the highest caliber! Glad to hear you came out of it unscathed mate. You should get one of those air horns to blare at jerks like that =p
+1. That's one of the few situations when I wish I had a horn.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 12:13 PM
  #9  
lucille
Senior Member
 
lucille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
Hahaha... don't let the A&S followers read this. Or it's death to you.
Because the cyclist is always right, no matter what? ;-)
lucille is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 12:58 PM
  #10  
josephjhaney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Because the cyclist is always right, no matter what? ;-)
When a cyclist and a car collide, and it's the cyclist fault, usually the cyclist is injured or killed.

When a cyclist and a car collide, and it's the drivers fault, usually the cyclist is injured or killed.

So, as angry as the cage drivers get at cyclist for not following the "rules" (And how many cars do we see running stop signs every day?), the penalty for a cyclist making a mistake is already quite high.

This guy was clueless, sadly, he nearly hit you. Indeed he was in the wrong for running the light, glad you are ok.

Joe
josephjhaney is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 01:39 PM
  #11  
lucille
Senior Member
 
lucille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by josephjhaney View Post
When a cyclist and a car collide, and it's the cyclist fault, usually the cyclist is injured or killed.

When a cyclist and a car collide, and it's the drivers fault, usually the cyclist is injured or killed.

So, as angry as the cage drivers get at cyclist for not following the "rules" (And how many cars do we see running stop signs every day?), the penalty for a cyclist making a mistake is already quite high.
I totally agree with you, the cyclist will always lose if they get in the accident. This is why I don't understand why some cyclists chose to take their chances and run red lights etc. Why would they want to put themselves in danger, knowing that if they're hit they can be injured or killed? Yes, many drivers run stop lights and red lights, and they're also taking their chances. Like with everything, we all make our choices, I will rather arrive 10 minutes later than not at all.
lucille is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 02:38 PM
  #12  
akohekohe
The Professor
 
akohekohe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Center Sandwich, New Hampshire
Posts: 899

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
As we all know, cars have a harder time noticing bicycles on the road than they do other cars (and trucks) but the same is also true for cyclists, they also have a harder time noticing other cyclists. Add to this that they generally feel the only danger to them on the road are MVs and that they share the same part of the roadway with other cyclists, I've always maintained that they are, per vehicle, a bigger danger to us than cars. The only reason there aren't more serious bicycle-bicycle collisions is simply because there aren't that many bicycles on the road. From my own anecdotal experience I have had more close calls with bicycles on my commute than with cars and I share the road with hundreds, if not thousands, more cars than bicycles. While some believe that more bicycles results in cars being more careful around them, thus making us safer, they forget that more bicycles create more opportunities for bicycles to collide. Although a car is much larger than a bicycle, bike-bike collisions can, and do, cause serious injury and death. So my bicycle safety advocacy has two components:

1. Mandatory helmet laws - not because I think helmets increase safety but because, as the Australian experience shows, they keep cyclists, particularly inexperienced ones, off the road (and out of my way).

2. Mass transit - a well functioning mass transit system means people who can't drive a car (for whatever reason) have an alternative to bicycling, which means fewer bicycles on the road.

If these were in place the OP may not have had his close call.
akohekohe is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 08:58 AM
  #13  
EKW in DC
Senior Member
 
EKW in DC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 2,053

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe View Post
1. Mandatory helmet laws - not because I think helmets increase safety but because, as the Australian experience shows, they keep cyclists, particularly inexperienced ones, off the road (and out of my way).

2. Mass transit - a well functioning mass transit system means people who can't drive a car (for whatever reason) have an alternative to bicycling, which means fewer bicycles on the road.

If these were in place the OP may not have had his close call.
I disagree with you on helmets (yes, I do wear a helmet), and I also don't like your assertion that inexperienced cyclists seem to have any less right to be on the road than experienced cyclists. We were all inexperienced cyclists at some point, either as kids or when we got back into cycling at an older age after not having done it much for a while.

Emphasis should be put on encouraging and where necessary enforcing safe riding practices (lights, no salmon-ing, taking the lane, not riding on sidewalks, etc.) and not on making every cyclist everywhere wear a helmet. A cyclist riding the wrong way wearing a helmet is more likely to be hurt or killed than a cyclist riding properly but with no helmet...
EKW in DC is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mithrandir
Advocacy & Safety
19
07-05-12 03:24 PM
WPeabody
Advocacy & Safety
23
01-27-12 02:06 AM
spunkyj
Advocacy & Safety
38
11-23-11 04:49 PM
HIPCHIP
Northern California
4
07-27-10 05:48 PM
San Rensho
Advocacy & Safety
240
01-27-10 07:00 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.