Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/)
-   -   People ask "you rode in this cold?" (https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/711418-people-ask-you-rode-cold.html)

stringbreaker 02-03-11 09:56 PM

People ask "you rode in this cold?"
 
We really don't get extremely cold temps here but it can get really cold a few days in the winter. Now early this week it was in the mid 20's in the morning pretty cold by Puget sound lowland temps. I had several people say man its too cold to ride a bicycle in this. My reply is always along the lines of. " I know thousands of people that ski and ride snowmobiles in a lot colder temps than this, whats so odd about riding a bicycle in the cold?" That will usually get an answer something along the lines of wearing warm clothing and I'm like DUH I don't ride in shorts and a t-shirt

enigmaT120 02-03-11 10:45 PM

I get a little of that. I really don't understand how my feet (toes, anyway) can get cold when I'm riding, even as my upper body sweats up a storm and is plenty warm. Even my fingers get a little cold sometimes. Stupid circulation system doesn't know what it's doing.

profstack 02-03-11 11:52 PM

Yeah, I was out in it Tuesday here in Seattle in less than 30 degree cold. Long johns and neck gaiter helped. Hmm, I wonder if I could put heated grips on the Gepida pedelec. :)

Ira B 02-03-11 11:56 PM

Been riding all winter here on Whidbey.
Co-workers often wonder if I "must be freezing?" I tell them by the time I get home I am a sweaty overheated mess in bad need of a shower and dread warmer weather.
They look at me like I am from Mars. :D

ryanwood 02-04-11 04:56 AM

My toes did get cold on my commute yesterday, but it was -11 F with a foot of fresh snow on the ground so it was not unexpected. Luckily my commute is only 7 miles so I get through it pretty quick. The thing most people comment on is my beard, once the temps dip below 20 F it begins to fill with frost and snow and I look like the Yeti for a few minutes after riding.

Thulsadoom 02-04-11 05:08 AM

People don't think before they speak.

Artkansas 02-04-11 10:34 AM

I just tell them my bike has a built-in heater. ;)

exile 02-04-11 02:14 PM

For whatever reason people think all cyclist dress like they are in the Tour De France.

Don't your coworkers see what you are wearing when you come in stringbreaker? I usually get the "you rode in this weather" comments more than anything.

dobber 02-04-11 02:51 PM

Rolled in one morning during 1st break. Was about -15F outside, I'd made the 10 mile ride in on the fixed 1x1, sporting my famous Ninja Guinea Pig in a Wetsuit look. As I parked the bike, the smoke brigade collectively clucked how I was insane and I was going to kill myself..............."and standing outside sucking cancer sticks is somehow healthier" I responded.

nashcommguy 02-04-11 03:57 PM

Just yesterday I had someone outside of an autoparts store remark, "How can anyone ride a bike in this weather?" To which I responded, "How could anyone NOT ride a bike in this weather?" It's a standoff...no it's not. They're ignorant and we're not. I get weary of the exchanges at times. :rolleyes:

NBYRDR 02-04-11 04:58 PM

How do you guys deal with all the slush etc?

caloso 02-04-11 06:16 PM

In my experience, the people who ask "you rode in this cold?" are the same ones who ask "you rode in this heat?" during the summer. I just say "Yes." And leave it at that.

Seattle Forrest 02-04-11 06:23 PM

Tell them they need to hurry up and get their place in the Chilly Hilly.

nelson249 02-04-11 06:27 PM


Originally Posted by dobber (Post 12179598)
Rolled in one morning during 1st break. Was about -15F outside, I'd made the 10 mile ride in on the fixed 1x1, sporting my famous Ninja Guinea Pig in a Wetsuit look. As I parked the bike, the smoke brigade collectively clucked how I was insane and I was going to kill myself..............."and standing outside sucking cancer sticks is somehow healthier" I responded.

+1

unterhausen 02-04-11 06:52 PM

I've been forced to drive a lot recently, and yesterday I finally got to ride for the first time in over a week. It was awesome even though it was really cold. People who have never done it are never going to understand.

When I was in Wisconsin, my boss came over to me one day and told me that I was so tough that I would do well riding RAAM. I told him I didn't think it translated that well.

paul2432 02-04-11 11:31 PM

I got my first sort of angry response the other day. It was about -15F so I got the usual "you didn't ride in today did you?"s, to which I respond "yup I did." Most people then say, "man that is crazy" to which I respond "its not that bad." which typically ends the conversation, which was nothing more than small talk to begin with. This particular time I go the follow up, "No its crazy, you are crazy". He actually seemed annoyed that I had ridden in. This was at the breakup of a meeting and we were headed in opposite directions so the conversation ended, but I wonder where it would have gone.

Paul

AdamDZ 02-05-11 09:29 AM


Originally Posted by NBYRDR (Post 12180080)
How do you guys deal with all the slush etc?

Nashbar waterproof pants, Sealskinz waterproof socks, Columbia waterproof jacket, Axiom Typhoon and Monsoon waterproof panniers, water repellent gloves (need to get something better). Soft rain boots would also work for shorter rides, the waterproof pants go over then nicely. As far as head, if it gets really cold I pull the hood over, otherwise its too warm, I just zip the jacket tightly and let my head get wet.

Adam

AdamDZ 02-05-11 09:49 AM


Originally Posted by paul2432 (Post 12181421)
I got my first sort of angry response the other day. It was about -15F so I got the usual "you didn't ride in today did you?"s, to which I respond "yup I did." Most people then say, "man that is crazy" to which I respond "its not that bad." which typically ends the conversation, which was nothing more than small talk to begin with. This particular time I go the follow up, "No its crazy, you are crazy". He actually seemed annoyed that I had ridden in. This was at the breakup of a meeting and we were headed in opposite directions so the conversation ended, but I wonder where it would have gone.

Paul

Stupid people get angry to offload their frustrations. Drivers are often annoyed when they sit in endless traffic while cyclists zip through and disappear ahead of them. I mean, how dare they?! They should be stuck in traffic like them too, right? Others are simply jealous that they don't have the balls to do something like that or are still frustrated from their subway ride.

I don't remember, I think it was Tue, ice and snow on the roads, slow traffic, coming to a red light, I took a full lane because of the snow piled up on the right and this frustrated f***tard cabbie honks at me, and honks... He has nowhere to go, he just honks so I get away so he can move 4 feet closer to the red light. I back up to his window and, before he says anything, I said: "You shouldn't drive in this weather, ice everywhere, it's dangerous. Shoulda stayed home man" He just sat there with his mouth opened... I guess he didn't expect that.

Some time last week, I got honked by another impatient cretin when going grocery shopping. I asked him if he would rather prefer more cars on the road in this weather - I wasn't his problem, his problem was the traffic caused by other idiots in cars driving in this s***ty weather, so he's just being a dumb d***k, and I waved to him as I rode away, he was still stopped in the traffic.

I think people are getting fed up with the weather because I wasn't honked at for a long time. Gotta watch out then, as there may be more annoyed, frustrated, impatient drivers on the roads these days.

I will never understand why people honk in situations like this: whatever it is in front of them will not disappear suddenly just because they honk. In particular if there is a backed up traffic or a red light in front of them. The horn should be connected to a electric shocker in the driver's seat: each time a person honks they'd get an electric jolt that would get stronger if they honk repeatedly in a short period of time to the point the driver will pass out and stop honking :D

Artkansas 02-05-11 10:29 AM


Originally Posted by paul2432 (Post 12181421)
This particular time I go the follow up, "No its crazy, you are crazy". He actually seemed annoyed that I had ridden in. This was at the breakup of a meeting and we were headed in opposite directions so the conversation ended, but I wonder where it would have gone.

That's why I use my built-in heater remark. It avoids the name calling and keeps things friendly.

Standalone 02-05-11 12:48 PM

The principal where I work has taken to making comments and always asking. I know she means well, but it's hard for a veteran battle tested urban teacher like me to put up with my principal asking me "where's your mother?"

Jim from Boston 02-05-11 01:11 PM

Today I went to the dry cleaners to pick up something and the proprietor said she had seen me riding in the cold that week; it was about 15 to 20 degrees. "But it's so cold" she said. She has an Easten European accent, and when I asked where she was from, just as I suspected--from Russia. :lol:

Thulsadoom 02-05-11 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by Standalone (Post 12182959)
The principal where I work has taken to making comments and always asking. I know she means well, but it's hard for a veteran battle tested urban teacher like me to put up with my principal asking me "where's your mother?"

Your principal thinks you are a student because you're riding a bike? Or your principal is just joking with you?

Funny, either way.

Thulsadoom 02-05-11 03:28 PM

I went out this morning. After the storm of last week, it was nice when I woke up to the sun shining.

The wind was relatively calm, the roads were plowed and dry, the sun was blazing on all the snow, it was beautiful out.

I pulled into the local mart on the way home to pick something up. I was sweaty and glad to take my gloves off. I almost wanted to stretch out in the sun on a picnic table and take a nap. It felt almost hot outside.

Same old thing, a woman entering the store while pulling her coat closer around her looked over and said: "you must be crazy to be out riding that on a day like this."

Thulsadoom 02-05-11 03:31 PM


Originally Posted by AdamDZ (Post 12182341)
Stupid people get angry to offload their frustrations. Drivers are often annoyed when they sit in endless traffic while cyclists zip through and disappear ahead of them. I mean, how dare they?! They should be stuck in traffic like them too, right? Others are simply jealous that they don't have the balls to do something like that or are still frustrated from their subway ride.

I don't remember, I think it was Tue, ice and snow on the roads, slow traffic, coming to a red light, I took a full lane because of the snow piled up on the right and this frustrated f***tard cabbie honks at me, and honks... He has nowhere to go, he just honks so I get away so he can move 4 feet closer to the red light. I back up to his window and, before he says anything, I said: "You shouldn't drive in this weather, ice everywhere, it's dangerous. Shoulda stayed home man" He just sat there with his mouth opened... I guess he didn't expect that.

Some time last week, I got honked by another impatient cretin when going grocery shopping. I asked him if he would rather prefer more cars on the road in this weather - I wasn't his problem, his problem was the traffic caused by other idiots in cars driving in this s***ty weather, so he's just being a dumb d***k, and I waved to him as I rode away, he was still stopped in the traffic.

I think people are getting fed up with the weather because I wasn't honked at for a long time. Gotta watch out then, as there may be more annoyed, frustrated, impatient drivers on the roads these days.

I will never understand why people honk in situations like this: whatever it is in front of them will not disappear suddenly just because they honk. In particular if there is a backed up traffic or a red light in front of them. The horn should be connected to a electric shocker in the driver's seat: each time a person honks they'd get an electric jolt that would get stronger if they honk repeatedly in a short period of time to the point the driver will pass out and stop honking :D

Ah, the joys of living in New York city.

BA Commuter 02-05-11 03:54 PM


Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 12178395)
I just tell them my bike has a built-in heater. ;)

+1

then they look kind of puzzled, like wow, and say that's kewl!

The cold doesn't bother me, but the ice and freezing rain has got to go!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.