Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-12, 07:28 PM   #1
Axiom
Fat Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5X-_-202968174

$12.99 for a 100 Lumen headlamp. I just bought it, and wow, what a powerful little light. The throw is pretty good, but there is a 2-3 foot center where it's very bright, and the rest is decent. I might buy a few more and make a rack to mount to my bike. 300 Lumen light rack for $40. Can't beat that, can you?

I might buy this in the future, though:
http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-4-Mode-1...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 07:46 PM   #2
AdamDZ 
Bike addict, dreamer
 
AdamDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens, New York
Bikes:
Posts: 5,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The one on Amazon is a Magic Shine clone. Yeah, those are pretty bright for the price, but they run hot, so don't plan to wear one on your head with that headband
AdamDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 07:53 PM   #3
Axiom
Fat Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
The one on Amazon is a Magic Shine clone. Yeah, those are pretty bright for the price, but they run hot, so don't plan to wear one on your head with that headband
I wore it on my head today and I had no issues with heat. :-]
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 08:01 PM   #4
jsdavis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The only thing that kinda sucks about the Home Depot headlight is that it uses AAA, rechargeable or not. They cost the same as AA but hold less than 1/2 the charge. I have a LED headlight that uses 3AA and really don't notice or mind the weight. Three AA Nimh will be around 90 grams and about half that for AAA.
jsdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 08:15 PM   #5
Axiom
Fat Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdavis View Post
The only thing that kinda sucks about the Home Depot headlight is that it uses AAA, rechargeable or not. They cost the same as AA but hold less than 1/2 the charge. I have a LED headlight that uses 3AA and really don't notice or mind the weight. Three AA Nimh will be around 90 grams and about half that for AAA.
It says it will hold 3 hours of light on high mode, and 50 on low.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 09:03 PM   #6
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3 cell lights tend to be 'direct drive', so it's only full brightness the first 15 seconds you turn it on and dims slowly from there on.
I really would like to get one of these for my bike: http://www.zebralight.com/H600w-XM-L...hite_p_82.html I have one of their lights already and really like the quality.

Last edited by ben4345; 03-14-12 at 09:07 PM.
ben4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 09:38 PM   #7
jsdavis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
It says it will hold 3 hours of light on high mode, and 50 on low.
Yeah, but 100 lumens from 266mA, I seriously doubt it. The run time and/or the lumens is exaggerated.
jsdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 09:54 PM   #8
Axiom
Fat Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdavis View Post
Yeah, but 100 lumens from 266mA, I seriously doubt it. The run time and/or the lumens is exaggerated.
I'll try it out in a few days when I go on a weekend ride. And the other poster mentioned the fact hat it only stays bright for the first 15 seconds? It was at a steady brightness the whole time I used it, so that's not true for this light.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 10:08 PM   #9
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
I'll try it out in a few days when I go on a weekend ride. And the other poster mentioned the fact hat it only stays bright for the first 15 seconds? It was at a steady brightness the whole time I used it, so that's not true for this light.
No, direct drive means it feed directly off the batteries (as oppose to regulated circuit). It will be 100% for the first few moments you put fresh batteries in it. It will slowly dim thereafter, you won't be able to tell, our eyes can't measure brightness that well. I.e. not a lot of people can tell the difference between 100lumens and 90 lumens even if some people try.
OTTH, if it were regulated, it would stay near 100% until the batteries are exhausted. There is also a lot more technical stuff to that, but I just to simplify my explanation.

What matters, is if you are happy with your purchase.
ben4345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 02:55 AM   #10
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
The one on Amazon is a Magic Shine clone. Yeah, those are pretty bright for the price, but they run hot, so don't plan to wear one on your head with that headband
I would kindly and respectively disagree. I have two and no issue at all. Love them.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 05:10 AM   #11
AdamDZ 
Bike addict, dreamer
 
AdamDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens, New York
Bikes:
Posts: 5,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
I wore it on my head today and I had no issues with heat. :-]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
I would kindly and respectively disagree. I have two and no issue at all. Love them.
Really??? Right on your head or on a helmet? I tried to use Magic Shine with the head strap for doing some work inside my apartment and it got too hot to be comfortable, but yeah it was indoors. Although, they get very hot to the touch outside on a warm day too. But, mounted on a helmet they're OK.

Makes me think if the newer ones have new, cooler LEDs. Mine are the original ones that came out a few years ago.
AdamDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 11:04 AM   #12
Axiom
Fat Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
Really??? Right on your head or on a helmet? I tried to use Magic Shine with the head strap for doing some work inside my apartment and it got too hot to be comfortable, but yeah it was indoors. Although, they get very hot to the touch outside on a warm day too. But, mounted on a helmet they're OK.

Makes me think if the newer ones have new, cooler LEDs. Mine are the original ones that came out a few years ago.
This one also has some sort of plastic that acts as a mount that you can adjust which direction you want the light to move. It might be
that piece of plastic that prevents heat issues.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 11:08 AM   #13
tarwheel 
Senior Member
 
tarwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia
Posts: 8,891
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Do a search on Amazon and you can find LED flashlights with 250-500 lumens for prices ranging from $15 and up. Some are pretty decent, particularly those using 18650 batteries. Lots of info in the Electronics forum here.
tarwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 12:08 PM   #14
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 16,681
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5X-_-202968174

$12.99 for a 100 Lumen headlamp. I just bought it, and wow, what a powerful little light. The throw is pretty good, but there is a 2-3 foot center where it's very bright, and the rest is decent. I might buy a few more and make a rack to mount to my bike. 300 Lumen light rack for $40. Can't beat that, can you?
Sounds like a great deal! Thanks! For what it's worth, I bought a 100 lumen headlamp (I think it was Black Diamond) a few months ago for $50. I'll probably get two of these, for camping and to always have one in my backpack in case I get caught out after dark while hiking.
Seattle Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 01:11 PM   #15
ultramagnetic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Cruz County, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having to keep 9 AAA batteries charged in order to get 300 lumens? And it requires fashioning your own mounting system?

A single 2 AA with approximately the same or a single 18650 flashlight with greater output certainly beats that.
ultramagnetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 01:13 PM   #16
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Bikes:
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDZ View Post
The one on Amazon is a Magic Shine clone. Yeah, those are pretty bright for the price, but they run hot, so don't plan to wear one on your head with that headband
Curling iron.
CommuterRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-12, 01:16 PM   #17
AdamDZ 
Bike addict, dreamer
 
AdamDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Queens, New York
Bikes:
Posts: 5,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
Curling iron.
Won't work with my 1mm hair
AdamDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION