Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A bike related tattoo.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A bike related tattoo.

Old 08-15-12, 02:07 PM
  #51  
jfowler85
Senior Member
 
jfowler85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zinj
Posts: 1,826

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
That's why I want a generic tattoo like my scuba diving flag, even if I stop scuba diving I will always be a diver at heart, same thing with my bicycle. As long as I will be able to stand I will hop on a bike once in a while.
Just be honest...you wanted a tattoo and you got one.
jfowler85 is offline  
Old 08-15-12, 07:19 PM
  #52  
gmt13
Half way there
 
gmt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,110

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+ 1 on this. It's the symbol of a serious cyclist - why not make it permanent

-G
gmt13 is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 08:10 AM
  #53  
dramiscram
ouate de phoque
Thread Starter
 
dramiscram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: La Prairie, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,781

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85 View Post
Just be honest...you wanted a tattoo and you got one.
Okay okay, you got me
dramiscram is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 08:11 AM
  #54  
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 7,003

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Twentieth century Western writers described tattoos as "decoration of the lower classes" (obviously, they were not at all hip in those days...)

I would venture to say that you would not have to look hard to find people right here in modern USA who have a prejudice against people with tattoos....women are actually being giggled at behind their backs, literally.
My wife and I hosted a dinner party a few nights ago and this exact topic came up, in the context of whether our 19 year old daughter should/shouldn't get some artistic tattoo. She's really artistic and gifted musically...

7 of the 8 adults were against it firmly, for various reasons. The one remaining was just "trying to be nice".

I admitted to the group that I was definitely prejudiced against those with tattoos. There, I've written it. It would affect my hiring decisions, potential spouse approval/affirmation for my two daughters, and counteless other things. It speaks to me of self-indulgence, silliness, and limited future perspective.

But I'm old...
Phil_gretz is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 08:40 AM
  #55  
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Correction: tattoos have been AROUND ...
None of this has anything to do with the essential fact that tattoos have been around/popular forever. Literally. So, no, it is not a fad.

It's a strange phenomenon (that I've noted on here before) that causes folks on BF to think their argument is just so clever, that perhaps if they just explain it more - well, who could possibly disagree??!
Commodus is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 08:43 AM
  #56  
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
My wife and I hosted a dinner party a few nights ago and this exact topic came up, in the context of whether our 19 year old daughter should/shouldn't get some artistic tattoo. She's really artistic and gifted musically...

7 of the 8 adults were against it firmly, for various reasons. The one remaining was just "trying to be nice".

I admitted to the group that I was definitely prejudiced against those with tattoos. There, I've written it. It would affect my hiring decisions, potential spouse approval/affirmation for my two daughters, and counteless other things. It speaks to me of self-indulgence, silliness, and limited future perspective.

But I'm old...
I've often considered getting a tattoo for this reason. It would be nice to be able to more easily identify the prejudiced and ignorant.

As it stands now, I could end up actually working for someone like this and it might take months to realize my mistake.
Commodus is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 08:46 AM
  #57  
dramiscram
ouate de phoque
Thread Starter
 
dramiscram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: La Prairie, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,781

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
My wife and I hosted a dinner party a few nights ago and this exact topic came up, in the context of whether our 19 year old daughter should/shouldn't get some artistic tattoo. She's really artistic and gifted musically...

7 of the 8 adults were against it firmly, for various reasons. The one remaining was just "trying to be nice".

I admitted to the group that I was definitely prejudiced against those with tattoos. There, I've written it. It would affect my hiring decisions, potential spouse approval/affirmation for my two daughters, and counteless other things. It speaks to me of self-indulgence, silliness, and limited future perspective.

But I'm old...
I can truly understand your point of view even if I have a tattoo myself. mine is small and on a shoulder blade, mainly because I take this as a very personnal thing and I'm not comfortable exposing it. I try not to be put off by someone tattooed (my best friend as a full sleeve) but I can't help with the usual prejudice.
dramiscram is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 09:06 AM
  #58  
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 7,003

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
I've often considered getting a tattoo for this reason. It would be nice to be able to more easily identify the prejudiced and ignorant.

As it stands now, I could end up actually working for someone like this and it might take months to realize my mistake.
You may have misunderstood the meaning of my post. I don't mean to say that I cannot like/love a future son-in-law because he has a tattoo, but rather, that my initial prejudice will have to be overcome. Prejudices don't need to be acted upon - they need to be invalidated by better first-hand information in each situation.

Similar for employees. All other things being equal, the tattoo may be a discriminator. A great employee is a great employee. Period. I'm told that I'm a very good boss and mentor...and a good father, too.

But that's neither here nor there. The active word was "prejudice" - it does not convey ignorance. To the contrary, it speaks of self awareness and limitation.

Does this help?
Phil_gretz is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 09:14 AM
  #59  
dramiscram
ouate de phoque
Thread Starter
 
dramiscram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: La Prairie, Qc, Canada
Posts: 1,781

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Phil_gretz;14613186
. The active word was "prejudice" - it does not convey ignorance. To the contrary, it speaks of self awareness and limitation.
[/QUOTE]

I agree
dramiscram is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 10:01 AM
  #60  
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
You may have misunderstood the meaning of my post. I don't mean to say that I cannot like/love a future son-in-law because he has a tattoo, but rather, that my initial prejudice will have to be overcome. Prejudices don't need to be acted upon - they need to be invalidated by better first-hand information in each situation.

Similar for employees. All other things being equal, the tattoo may be a discriminator. A great employee is a great employee. Period. I'm told that I'm a very good boss and mentor...and a good father, too.

But that's neither here nor there. The active word was "prejudice" - it does not convey ignorance. To the contrary, it speaks of self awareness and limitation.

Does this help?
It does. Probably I am too quick to anger when confronted with the idea of folks being judged too harshly on superficial grounds.
Commodus is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 02:20 PM
  #61  
jfowler85
Senior Member
 
jfowler85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zinj
Posts: 1,826

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram View Post
Okay okay, you got me
Score. I have yet to gather the gahones enough to get the tattoos that I want, so props to you sir.
jfowler85 is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 02:33 PM
  #62  
jfowler85
Senior Member
 
jfowler85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zinj
Posts: 1,826

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
What a bizarre argument. Tattoos have been popular for virtually the entirety of human history, and are only gaining in such.
That is an entirely qualitative argument (with exception to the last statement). A few generations ago, you could not walk through a public space out here in the west and lose count of the number of people that are flashing all categories of tats. I would say that constitutes a relative UNpopularity of tattoos during that time. However, the whole "tattoo and cigarette" motif is clearly outdated, as the CDC currently estimates that only 19.3% of all adults int he US smoke, which is down drastically since the 60s.

In referencing "all of human history" (something I doubt you are well versed in...?) I believe you are nodding to tribal body marking/modification...surely in the grand scope of "all of human history" the latter is more prevalent than the recent growing fad of tattooing. Though the ancient tribal body marking of times far gone *may* be similar categorically on a single basis (eg form and function), I would argue that overall the tattooing of today has vastly evolved into something quite different, ie, largely an expression of pop-culture tastes and preferences instead of marking one's cultural status, marital status, cultural class or caste, wealth, etc.
jfowler85 is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 02:39 PM
  #63  
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once shared a foyer with a tattoo shop and with our doors open I could easily hear conversations. one day biker dude goes in wanting a "Harley Davidson" tat on the back of his head. why people advertise for free????
so I hear the banter between the two guys for a hour or so, all grins and giggles. the biker guy left happy enough only to return the next day, opening the door to the tat shop and bellowing " HOW DO YOU SPELL HARLEY DAVIDSON???" so funny.

what is it about half a chainring on the calf that is so appealing??
I want one too.

Last edited by Rx Rider; 08-17-12 at 10:55 PM. Reason: sort of
Rx Rider is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 03:08 PM
  #64  
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless
 
Bike Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Posts: 4,263

Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
That's one that I've never quite understood: Getting a sports team or band logo for a team/band you weren't part of. Even if someday I no longer race for my current team, I'm happy to have the permanent reminder that I was part of something so awesome in its very first year.
USA, not Europe you come from?

A football club you support is like a tribe. Something you never change - can't be changed. Whether they're winning or loosing. One of the few tatoos that has any sense (because tatoo is PERMANENT) is the amblem of your club.






I find one thing funny:
Today's society is not so much into symbols (and their meaning). In some "primitive" societies tatoos had their meaning, place, importance. They were generaly understood and accepted.

Nowadays tatoo is advocated as something "personal". Well, if it's personal, why show it on the outside? To me it's a bit like telling some "private joke" (prank), that only a few people in a group understand while others will look just blank. If it's not for everyone to see and understand, why put it on the outside, on your skin?


Having said all this, I find cool tatoos cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0.jpg (10.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg
12ji8.jpg (86.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 08-16-12 at 03:17 PM.
Bike Gremlin is offline  
Old 08-16-12, 03:13 PM
  #65  
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85 View Post
That is an entirely qualitative argument (with exception to the last statement). A few generations ago, you could not walk through a public space out here in the west and lose count of the number of people that are flashing all categories of tats. I would say that constitutes a relative UNpopularity of tattoos during that time. However, the whole "tattoo and cigarette" motif is clearly outdated, as the CDC currently estimates that only 19.3% of all adults int he US smoke, which is down drastically since the 60s.

In referencing "all of human history" (something I doubt you are well versed in...?) I believe you are nodding to tribal body marking/modification...surely in the grand scope of "all of human history" the latter is more prevalent than the recent growing fad of tattooing. Though the ancient tribal body marking of times far gone *may* be similar categorically on a single basis (eg form and function), I would argue that overall the tattooing of today has vastly evolved into something quite different, ie, largely an expression of pop-culture tastes and preferences instead of marking one's cultural status, marital status, cultural class or caste, wealth, etc.
You can argue whatever you like, my point stands. The practice of tatooing is not a fad.

If you really want to debate the similarity of modern tattoos to whatever past markings fit your argument, feel free to start another thread in which you can claim whatever level of omniscience you feel is required to divine the intentions of the tattooed, past and present.
Commodus is offline  
Old 08-17-12, 08:24 PM
  #66  
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
None of this has anything to do with the essential fact that tattoos have been around/popular forever. Literally. So, no, it is not a fad.

It's a strange phenomenon (that I've noted on here before) that causes folks on BF to think their argument is just so clever, that perhaps if they just explain it more - well, who could possibly disagree??!
It appears that you are trying to turn comments into an argument. Hey, get a tat or several tats, if you want, but if you think they are universally accepted, you have another thought coming.

The fact that many people have tattoos and the fact that tattoos have been around a long time doesn't mean that there are no negative stereo-types or prejudices against them.

Perhaps one of the most telling examples of tattoo prejudice is that some employers won't hire people with visible tats even though they themselves have skin art!

Tattoos are indeed a fad, despite how popular they are today. This is evidenced by the fact that tattoo designs are faddish in nature - some tattoos are "out of fashion" like tramp stamps and barbed wire armbands. If tattoo designs are fads, then the whole tattoo boom is a fad.

The folks today who are getting tats and thinking that tattoo popularity is forever are like frogs living in a well and thinking that what they see around them in their own limited world and time is the whole world into infinity.

Last edited by mike; 08-17-12 at 08:29 PM.
mike is offline  
Old 08-17-12, 08:53 PM
  #67  
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree Mike, tattoos are here to stay forever. now if I could get some help, all this talk of tats I've convinced myself to get one. but only 1 and I've narrowed it down to these options, your thoughts would be grately appreciated, thx.
a.b

any help getting my body that big would be nice also.
Rx Rider is offline  
Old 08-18-12, 03:38 AM
  #68  
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rx Rider View Post
I agree Mike, tattoos are here to stay forever. now if I could get some help, all this talk of tats I've convinced myself to get one. but only 1 and I've narrowed it down to these options, your thoughts would be grately appreciated, thx.
a.b

any help getting my body that big would be nice also.
Wow, that is groovy art. I remember those Rat Fink drawings from when I was a kid back in the 1960's. We bought Rat Fink cards like some kids bought baseball cards. They had a stick of dried out gum in the packs that my friends always gave me because nobody else in our crowd wanted.

Anybody notice the "wheelie bar" on the back of Rat Fink's Muscle bike? Those were an after market device you could buy in the '60's for poppin' wheelies on your Stingrays, Krates, and Choppers. They were mostly for sissies because all the guys I knew did wheelies without wheelie bars. The longer/farther you could pop a wheelie, the cooler you were, obviously. Some guys could ride a wheelie for a city block or longer. Aaaaah where are those cool cats today? ... and whatever happened to their muscle bikes?


As for the skull, I never got into the death celebration stuff, but I have to admit that the way the sprockets and gears are incorporated into the skull is very creative.

Both would make for great bumper stickers.

Last edited by mike; 08-18-12 at 03:57 AM.
mike is offline  
Old 08-18-12, 04:06 PM
  #69  
rubic
Slogging along
 
rubic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Fernando Valley, SoCal
Posts: 1,148

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had a tattoo and never wanted one. However, a bike related tattoo has tempted me. Oh, those temptations!
rubic is offline  
Old 08-19-12, 11:05 AM
  #70  
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mike View Post
...
The fact that many people have tattoos and the fact that tattoos have been around a long time doesn't mean that there are no negative stereo-types or prejudices against them.
...

Tattoos are indeed a fad
...

uh...once again, this has nothing to do with 'fad'. Your logic here is hilarious, let me see if I can try it out:

Cars with V8s were once very popular. Now, less so. Thus, cars are just a short lived fad.

How'd I do?
Commodus is offline  
Old 08-19-12, 11:54 PM
  #71  
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
...

uh...once again, this has nothing to do with 'fad'. Your logic here is hilarious, let me see if I can try it out:

Cars with V8s were once very popular. Now, less so. Thus, cars are just a short lived fad.

How'd I do?
Well, Commodus, maybe not terribly convincing logic just yet, but keep trying because it is interesting reading. In the meantime, don't worry about tats going out of fashion. For you, they will never go out of style.

I remember my uncle coming back from Vietnam with a tattoo of a Red Devil on his arm. Tats weren't generally accepted in those days, but on my uncle, it was cool no matter what. In my mind, it is still cool even though he is no longer around. It wasn't as pretty or as elaborate as most of the tats we see today, but he wore it well.

Last edited by mike; 08-20-12 at 12:02 AM.
mike is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jjhabbs
Classic & Vintage
73
11-22-18 10:56 AM
skye
Advocacy & Safety
18
01-03-13 08:49 PM
cpsqlrwn
Classic & Vintage
2
11-27-11 05:50 PM
Philasteve
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
9
10-12-10 09:47 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.