Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Good single speed on a budget? Recommendations welcome.

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Good single speed on a budget? Recommendations welcome.

Old 06-08-14, 06:58 AM
  #1  
SpotOn
Recreational Member
Thread Starter
 
SpotOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 50

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 2010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good single speed on a budget? Recommendations welcome.

As some of you might know, I've been using this bike for a while now:


Forum link: http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...l#post16350299

However, I'm looking to upgrade to a different bike, and I've been thinking about getting a fixie/single speed bike. I am not looking to spend very much money on it because I have no need for a high-end model etc.

Do any of you have experience with this bike for instance?
Amazon Link: TRACK FIXED GEAR BIKE FIXIE SINGLE SPEED ROAD BIKE

Or others similar to this one. I will probably get a bullhorn style handlebar and brake levers closer to the neutral hand position down the road etc. Perhaps even a rack mounted on the back to have the option to carry things here and there.

This is the same bike as the above with some modifications that really caught my eye:


(Picture from the Amazon ad (user images)).

If any of you have other recommendations too, I'd be glad to hear some of them as well. Links and pictures are welcome.

Thank you,
- SpotOn
SpotOn is offline  
Old 06-08-14, 09:06 AM
  #2  
WestPablo
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMHO, the Scattante Americano Single Speed would be a less risky purchase, given that you would expected to actually pick the bike up at a brick & mortar bike shop. There you will test ride the bike and if not completely satisfied, you'd be entitled to a 100% complete refund. Otherwise, you could just ride away into the sunset!

Get the Scattante Americano at www.performancebike.com @ $230


* The Schwinn Racer Single Speed is available at www.nashbar.com for only $200 today, due to their "Special Sunday Sale". However, it does have coaster brakes...

Last edited by WestPablo; 06-08-14 at 09:19 AM.
WestPablo is offline  
Old 06-08-14, 09:36 AM
  #3  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,928

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6832 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 211 Times in 176 Posts
Wally* World's 'Thrusters' are a fixy, made to sell cheap. use a freewheel instead of the fixed gear cog and lockring.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-08-14, 11:50 AM
  #4  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo View Post
IMHO, the Scattante Americano Single Speed would be a less risky purchase, given that you would expected to actually pick the bike up at a brick & mortar bike shop. There you will test ride the bike and if not completely satisfied, you'd be entitled to a 100% complete refund. Otherwise, you could just ride away into the sunset!

Get the Scattante Americano at www.performancebike.com @ $230

* The Schwinn Racer Single Speed is available at www.nashbar.com for only $200 today, due to their "Special Sunday Sale". However, it does have coaster brakes...
I wouldnt use a fixie for urban commuting unless you are into self-flagellation. The freewheel version of the Schwinn Racer can be had for 125.00 at some place I just saw but cant remember. I have the coaster Racer Version that I paid 180.00 for, I like it, but sadly I would caution against it because on mine, the BB has proven to be quite problematic, requiring constant readjustment. I would look for a cheapo single speed, but one with a sealed bottom bracket. If you have a another BB lying around and wouldnt mind pressing it in, I would opine you would have a nice beater commuter for no money at all.
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 06-08-14, 12:41 PM
  #5  
NormanF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,734
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a converted Bianchi Trofeo fixie off the Bay for the same price as the Schwinn Racer. The difference is the Bianchi has a cromoly steel frame and the Schwinn has hi ten.... if you learn to buy used, you can actually get more bang for your cycling bucks.
NormanF is offline  
Old 06-10-14, 09:00 AM
  #6  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 37,135

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 60 Posts
If you can make it work, used bikes are usually a much better value. You can get a higher end bike for the same money, and it might have some worthwhile upgrades on it which might not increase its street value.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 06-10-14, 12:24 PM
  #7  
SpotOn
Recreational Member
Thread Starter
 
SpotOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 50

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 2010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo View Post
IMHO, the Scattante Americano Single Speed would be a less risky purchase
Quality of the bike? Do you have any experience with it?

Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Wally* World's 'Thrusters' are a fixy, made to sell cheap. use a freewheel instead of the fixed gear cog and lockring.
Do these ones have the wheel you can flip, in order to choose between fixed gear or freewheel? Is this Wally bike any good at all?

Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
I wouldnt use a fixie for urban commuting unless you are into self-flagellation. The freewheel version of the Schwinn Racer can be had for 125.00 at some place I just saw but cant remember. I have the coaster Racer Version that I paid 180.00 for, I like it, but sadly I would caution against it because on mine, the BB has proven to be quite problematic, requiring constant readjustment. I would look for a cheapo single speed, but one with a sealed bottom bracket. If you have a another BB lying around and wouldnt mind pressing it in, I would opine you would have a nice beater commuter for no money at all.
How do you like it? Is it a good bike? I think I'm more interested in the SS than the Coaster aspect if anything. What is a BB, and how much are they? Easy to replace yourself?

Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
I got a converted Bianchi Trofeo fixie off the Bay for the same price as the Schwinn Racer. The difference is the Bianchi has a cromoly steel frame and the Schwinn has hi ten.... if you learn to buy used, you can actually get more bang for your cycling bucks.
I don't know if I have the right touch yet for buying used, and changing out parts etc... This will probably be a good option later, when I have more experience within this field.

Originally Posted by noglider View Post
If you can make it work, used bikes are usually a much better value. You can get a higher end bike for the same money, and it might have some worthwhile upgrades on it which might not increase its street value.
Any other bikes you guys can recommend? Or tips on what to look for in the used section?
SpotOn is offline  
Old 06-10-14, 12:35 PM
  #8  
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 5,431

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If you are riding on the road, you will need a rim brake. Info in the fixed gear forum as well.
Leebo is offline  
Old 06-10-14, 12:43 PM
  #9  
WestPablo
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post
Quality of the bike? Do you have any experience with it?
All I know, is that I'd trust Performance over Amazon any day. My trust is in the Scattante brand owned by "Performance", as opposed to some no name brand being sold by Amazon. Amazon would sell one's mother, if they could get away with it!

Otherwise, no, I don't have any previous experience with the Americano single speed...
WestPablo is offline  
Old 06-10-14, 01:26 PM
  #10  
tjspiel
Senior Member
 
tjspiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 8,112
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post
Quality of the bike? Do you have any experience with it?


Do these ones have the wheel you can flip, in order to choose between fixed gear or freewheel? Is this Wally bike any good at all?


How do you like it? Is it a good bike? I think I'm more interested in the SS than the Coaster aspect if anything. What is a BB, and how much are they? Easy to replace yourself?


I don't know if I have the right touch yet for buying used, and changing out parts etc... This will probably be a good option later, when I have more experience within this field.


Any other bikes you guys can recommend? Or tips on what to look for in the used section?

Since no one has mentioned them yet (at least not that I've seen), Bikes Direct sells a number of different Fixed Gear/Single speed bikes at different price points. My son got a Windsor Clockwork Plus from them. It's a good value for the money but like anything else you get online there's no "try before you buy" option.
tjspiel is offline  
Old 06-10-14, 03:42 PM
  #11  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
Since no one has mentioned them yet (at least not that I've seen), Bikes Direct sells a number of different Fixed Gear/Single speed bikes at different price points. My son got a Windsor Clockwork Plus from them. It's a good value for the money but like anything else you get online there's no "try before you buy" option.
I would agree with this too . . .
My Son got a S.S. Motobecane Cross bike that was a real deal for what he paid. I would have no problem recommending them to someone, with the caveat that the stock tires are worthless for commuting. I got one of those Mercier Fixies from them that was a very nice bike. It is really a KHS Flite 100, so it was a very nice bike, a deal for the price. On mine however, it must have been a long rocky ride up to Vermont because the frame was damaged. So, if you go that route, check it closely, pull all the cardboard wrapping from the frame and inspect it. For commuting, S.S.'s are great, because like your Moms mini-van, they are just a solid workhorse you never have to do anything to. That means a lot in some situations

Happy hunting
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 06-18-14, 04:41 AM
  #12  
SpotOn
Recreational Member
Thread Starter
 
SpotOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 50

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 2010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel View Post
Since no one has mentioned them yet (at least not that I've seen), Bikes Direct sells a number of different Fixed Gear/Single speed bikes at different price points. My son got a Windsor Clockwork Plus from them. It's a good value for the money but like anything else you get online there's no "try before you buy" option.
Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
I would agree with this too . . .
My Son got a S.S. Motobecane Cross bike that was a real deal for what he paid. [...] For commuting, S.S.'s are great, because like your Moms mini-van, they are just a solid workhorse you never have to do anything to. That means a lot in some situations
Opinions on these bikes? And how do they compare to each other as well?

Windsor The Hour: Track Bkes | SingleSpeed Bikes | Fixie | Windsor Bikes - The Hour | Save up to 60% off Fixed gear and singlespeed bicycles
Windsor Timeline: Save Up to 60% Off Fixie | Hipster | Single Speed | Track Bikes | Road Bikes | Windsor Bikes - TimeLine | Fixed gear bikes that fit wide tires | Save up to 60% off new singlespeed bikes
Motobecane Track: Save Up to 60% Off Motobecane Singlespeed Bikes - 2012 Track Bicycles by Motobecane USA up to 60% Off
Motobecane Messenger: Save Up to 60% Off Motobecane Track Bikes | SingleSpeed | Fixed Gear - Messenger Track
Mercier Kilo WT: Save up to 60% off new Mercier Singlespeed Track Bikes - Kilo WT - Save Up To 60% Off Brand new Bicycles
Mercier Kilo TT: Save Up to 60% Off Kilo TT Fixie and Track Bikes | Single Speed Bikes | Mercier Bikes - Kilo TT Fixed Gear Singlespeed Fixie

...or others.

Also, what is the typical gear ratio most people use? 16/48?

Last edited by SpotOn; 06-18-14 at 04:45 AM.
SpotOn is offline  
Old 06-18-14, 06:06 AM
  #13  
acidfast7
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: England / CPH
Posts: 8,585

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
http://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...term-test.html

similar to those offered on BD.
acidfast7 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Gogga Logga
Foo
4
10-02-08 07:43 PM
-holiday76
Classic & Vintage
13
03-03-08 04:07 PM
concernicus
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
1
03-02-06 08:28 PM
dirtbikedude
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
0
06-08-03 11:00 AM
MoshB
BMX
0
03-20-02 12:43 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.