Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to ride with the Coronavirus going around?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Is it safe to ride with the Coronavirus going around?

Old 03-03-20, 07:48 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Unfortunately this thread turned political. Sad.

EDIT: Thread is reopened. Any further political posts will be met with an infraction, it's a shame we can't discuss anything without a couple individuals turning it political.
sorry Billy 👍
Old 03-03-20, 08:00 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 751 Times in 410 Posts
In all seriousness, check the CDC website:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Old 03-03-20, 08:03 AM
55murray

Bikes: 1955 20" Murray modified cruiser, 2007 Trek 7.3 FX, 1980 Miyata 610, several other vintage coaster brake machines

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts
Yet another "I'm afraid of" thread. The answer to all of these is and always has been the same: Rule 5.
Likes For 55murray:
Old 03-03-20, 08:18 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 3,255 Times in 1,858 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
You are least likely to be infected when riding.

That's probably true, except I do a lot of things on a long distance ride I normally wouldn't do, like stop at a convenience store bathroom and buy lunch from counters, etc.

My job doesn't allow me to isolate myself even if that's going to be something people find effective, so if things progress as they appear to be doing, I calculate it's probably a matter of when I get exposed, not if. I doubt I'll be modifying my behavior much.

Basically, as I see it, this thing looks mostly like a pneumonia that spreads as fast as a cold, and containment has basically failed already.

It's probably too soon to get really specific on what behaviours other than the obvious should be avoided, but I find it very hard to believe that actual bike riding is going to be one of them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-03-20, 08:22 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR View Post
In all seriousness, check the CDC website:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Unfortunately, there is so little actually known at this point that almost everything starts with "It is thought..."

I think we're at the point where we have to consider the difference between vigilance (necessary) and panic (worse than useless).
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-03-20, 08:30 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 232 Posts
just repeating what I've heard so correct if able

It's not an airborne disease, so you have to have contact. Touching something then touching your mouth, nose, eyes is how you get it. Or getting coughed or sneezed on and then touching those same areas. And that masks don't work

very similar to the flu, which many people die from each year
Old 03-03-20, 08:38 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Unfortunately, there is so little actually known at this point that almost everything starts with "It is thought..."

I think we're at the point where we have to consider the difference between vigilance (necessary) and panic (worse than useless).
At one time there was concern by epidemiologists that the HIV virus would mutate and could be transmitted by vapor. Perhaps since this is a new virus, speculation can run wild and this creates panic. I live in an area where there are charter buses to LAX just purposed to travel to China. I expect to get exposed to the Corona virus. My immune system is not compromised but my parents and other relatives and a friend are.

Cycling seems like a respite from exposure versus numerous other activities that could lead to contact with a vector.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 03-03-20 at 08:45 AM.
Old 03-03-20, 08:47 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

At one time there was concern by epidemiologists that the HIV virus would mutate and could be transmitted by vapor. Perhaps since this is a new virus, speculation and panic can run wild and this creates panic. I live in an area where there are charter buses to LAX just purposed to travel to China. I expect to get exposed to the Corona virus. My immune system is not compromised but my parents and other relatives and a friend are.

Cycling seems like a respite from exposure versus numerous other activities that could lead to contact with a vector.

700 people testing positive on the same ship would indicate that there is more than enough reason to be concerned about airborne and casual contact transmission, so I don't see the relevance of your HIV example.

I'm basically paying attention as things develop, but as of right now, I'm not modifying my behavior. I went to visit my son at UMass Amherst this past weekend, and we were all over the communal dining. I didn't give it a second thought..
Old 03-03-20, 08:52 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

EDIT: Thread is reopened. Any further political posts will be met with an infraction, it's a shame we can't discuss anything without a couple individuals turning it political.
Wow. A clear and concise single warning. If only there was consistency in these things people would know what to expect every time a mod posted.
Old 03-03-20, 08:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked 702 Times in 360 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Iím in California. Just wondering if cycling puts you at further risk for the coronavirus. If Iím riding in areas where thereís less people is that better?
I recommend a bubble suit. You can't be too safe you know.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-03-20, 09:01 AM
CAT7RDR

Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
700 people testing positive on the same ship would indicate that there is more than enough reason to be concerned about airborne and casual contact transmission, so I don't see the relevance of your HIV example.

I'm basically paying attention as things develop, but as of right now, I'm not modifying my behavior. I went to visit my son at UMass Amherst this past weekend, and we were all over the communal dining. I didn't give it a second thought..
The concern is Mutation. We already know it is airborne.
Perhaps this article might better elucidate how the corona virus is already mutating:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/h...on-spread.html
Old 03-03-20, 09:04 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
I'd be more concerned about riding with bad drivers around. There's already two threads about quitting riding on the road.
Old 03-03-20, 09:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 550 Posts
Iím in California...
You're back!!!
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-03-20, 09:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 550 Posts
Originally Posted by DroppedChain View Post
I am starting to wonder if you are serious here...
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-03-20, 09:20 AM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 74 Posts
Riding your bike outside instead of riding the train packed with people will be much safer. Especially when other people on the train want to purposefully cough in your face.

I boarded a train and stood by the door, then a guy in a business suit sitting next to the door stood up and coughed in my face with his saliva splattering on my face. Then he sat back down. I never understood why. I thought maybe when the doors opened, the hot air from the undercarriage came in and blew across his neck so he thought the I must have breathed on his neck.
Old 03-03-20, 09:22 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 418 Posts
And right off the bat with the very first reply too! (which was obviously missed when purging posts)
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 03-03-20, 09:30 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
Too fresh, too dope, and definitely too cool for school. You should try riding with a saddle on your seat post.
hey now

those Trials riders are pretty darn good and they donít use a seat
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 03-03-20, 09:52 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

The concern is Mutation. We already know it is airborne.
Perhaps this article might better elucidate how the corona virus is already mutating:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/h...on-spread.html

The point of that article was not that mutation may be changing the method of transmission but rather that the mutations may make it easier to trace the path by which it spread. Two seemingly unrelated cases in Washington state had the same rare mutated virus in their system which they were hypothesizing means there's a common exposure source they haven't accounted for.

The biggest unknown right now is how many people without symptoms are spreading the virus.

Viruses mutate constantly--imagining all possible mutations isn't the task at hand.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-03-20, 09:59 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 162 Posts
I get I might not die if I get the virus, but the issue is my spreading it to someone that does.
Common cold, flu, people can die from those. Even if they don't kill you, they can kill others. The human condition is nothing but risk. Mitigate the risk as much as you can, yet risk will always be there looking for that one little crack in your armor, or armor of others.

Me, I'm glad I work in the desert, away from vast numbers of other humans. And my smallish town is way too close to a much larger city. A city I have need to visit but once a week. But, I have to, and have to interact with other humans... Ugh. Other humans.
Old 03-03-20, 10:12 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6, and a few dust collectors

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
I just got home from a 7 day Caribbean cruise, I'm still alive ( I did catch a cold though).

Funny thing, nobody died on the cruise, but three of the six in our group returned to Seattle, where they are dying from coronavirus.
Old 03-03-20, 10:18 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 303 Posts
I don't ride with spitters......And watch out for those macho dudes that hawk a loogie out the window of their vehicle because they are afraid to swallow.
Don't use public toilets. Use credit card instead of cash. Don't go out to eat.. especially buffets.
Binge buy all dry goods at Costco so others won't get anything and you won't have to go into a store for a couple of months.
Old 03-03-20, 10:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Don't go out to eat.. especially buffets
reminds me about using tongs for cheese, fruit, cookies etc. we're not supposed to use our hands to select the tidbits we want on out plate & we're asked to use the tongs. but then, everyone is touching the tongs. where's the logic?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-03-20, 10:30 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 292 Posts
what if Iím just around cars and just a biker here and there passing me by.
I think you need to calm your anxiety. You have been listening to too many fear mongering media heads. You are not going to catch Covid-19 from someone exhaling in a passing car. On a bicycle, you are probable less at risk, since you are outside, in the "fresh" air, and not near people or licking doorknobs.

I am more at risk. I travel back and forth to cruise ships, usually weekly, and entertain on them. I feel much better outside on my bicycle. Even so, I generally don't get sick, and even if I do get the current virus, I am not of the demographic that is at risk of death. I will get sick, and recover. I am not worried about it, just as I wasn't worried about the Swine Flu, or SARS.

Relax, and enjoy your ride. Take common sense precautions like washing your hands, and not sticking your fingers in your mouth, nose, or eyes unless they are clean.
Old 03-03-20, 10:37 AM
CAT7RDR

^^^^ "The biggest unknown right now is how many people without symptoms are spreading the virus."

Yes, and the mutation that brought the virus from animals to humans I believe is of importance with regards to prevention. Do not eat bats or anteaters.
Old 03-03-20, 10:46 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
reminds me about using tongs for cheese, fruit, cookies etc. we're not supposed to use our hands to select the tidbits we want on out plate & we're asked to use the tongs. but then, everyone is touching the tongs. where's the logic?
While obviously far from desirable, if you didn't then eat with your hands it might actually work, though who eats a cookie with a fork, or uses one on a cracker and cheese?

Of course there's also the breathing on (and worse) aspect, which is why food service establishments are supposed to have a shield at face level.

One thing I'm not clear on is how hospitable foodstuffs actually are and how susceptible we are to say eating a piece of cheese with droplets on it, vs the known issues of breathing them in directly or rubbing dried droplets/fluids picked up off the stainless tongs into our eyes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.