Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to ride with the Coronavirus going around?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Is it safe to ride with the Coronavirus going around?

Old 03-03-20, 10:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
Please watch this:

or this ... if you're not likely to be offend by bad words

The only time I've been worried about getting sick while biking was when passing another rider; I announced "on your left" and that rider responded by hocking a loogie to his left ... right in my face. That got him a loud "...K YOU!" and a one-fingered salute. Since that was 3 years ago, I think I'm safe to say I didn't contract anything from that encounter.

I'd worry more about the person texting and driving their 3-ton SUV killing you than contracting COVID-19 while out biking.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 03-04-20 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-03-20, 11:37 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4238 Post(s)
Liked 3,218 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR View Post
^^^^ "The biggest unknown right now is how many people without symptoms are spreading the virus."

Yes, and the mutation that brought the virus from animals to humans I believe is of importance with regards to prevention. Do not eat bats or anteaters.

I'll try not to, but they're all-you-can-eat at Applebees.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-03-20, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12712 Post(s)
Liked 4,977 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
reminds me about using tongs for cheese, fruit, cookies etc. we're not supposed to use our hands to select the tidbits we want on out plate & we're asked to use the tongs. but then, everyone is touching the tongs. where's the logic?
Reminds me of a time when good hygiene was not practiced on all event rides. At one rest stop the GF and I watched in disgust as a participant came up to a pan of cooked potatoes. Picked one up with his gloved hand, popped it in his mouth, proceeded to lick his fingers thoroughly then dive back into the pan for another. Gross.
Old 03-03-20, 11:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 592 Posts
ewww
Old 03-03-20, 12:15 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 160 Posts
Fabric gloves may actually be a less hospitable surface than fingers for viruses, though they can certainly get gross in bacterial ways.

But it does raise the question how to maintain good hand hygiene on a ride, where the gold standard of soap and water may not be an option. They seem to be really considering alcohol based hand sanitizers an uncertain second choice, and those are locally near unobtanium anyway.

Generally being outside sounds good and especially as it starts getting warmer and more humid - the combination of heat and humidity apparently limits endurance on surfaces.

The things that don't seem good are restrooms - especially the possibility of chemical toilets with insufficient chemical, and buying pre-packaged food or drinks in containers that could theoretically be coughed on on the outside and then stored under preserving conditions.

Ironically getting out to traffic-safe and enjoyable distance riding routes is currently the only reason I have to use public transit - early morning starts seem fine as things are fairly empty, but at this time of year pre-dusk returns tend to coincide with the parade of humanity inbound for a night on the town.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-03-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-03-20, 12:23 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 225 Posts
We have three confirmed cases in this state, including one with no known point of origin. The third occurred clear on the other side of the state, close to Idaho--hundreds of miles away from the first two. Our state infection control czar just stated today that he believes we likely have between 300 and 500 infected people currently in this state. Only 28 people have been tested so far. Our whole state only has a little more than 4 million people.
Old 03-03-20, 12:24 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 80 Posts
As a practical matter, before you die, what bikes do you have, and what sizes?
Old 03-03-20, 12:27 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 219 Posts
Maybe don’t let that other cyclist sneeze on your handlebars while waiting for the light to turn green.
Old 03-03-20, 12:43 PM
indyfabz

I'll buy gas in NJ this week so I don't have to touch a pump handle.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-03-20, 01:39 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 135 Posts
My advice for the OP is don't go to a forum about bikes for information on the corona virus.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 03-03-20, 02:11 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
My advice for the OP is don't go to a forum about bikes for information on the corona virus.
Uhh, this.
In his defense though I am fairly certain that he first went to the Corona beer website and found no answers there
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-03-20, 02:54 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0 current favorite, newest bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
Uhh, this.
In his defense though I am fairly certain that he first went to the Corona beer website and found no answers there
And every hipster doofus knows that the best thing to put on your Coronavirus is a wedge of Lyme disease.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-03-20, 03:02 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 185 Posts
Definitely, with an airborne-transmitted pathogen there's an increased risk if breathing in a lot of air in crowded spaces. Of course, until it's confirmed how long such pathogens can last on airborne water droplets and surfaces, it's hard to say how long the risk is elevated while such stuff hangs around.

I've never been much of a fan of doing athletics or most things in populous places, so I suppose I have a somewhat lower risk than most. My riding is mostly done at times and places where there tend to be few people around. Lucky me, I guess.

I suppose it'd be safer, still, to have filtered air to breathe during such activities and while around others. But wearing a "proper" mask isn't all that practical for many people during much of what they do throughout the day.

Nicely, it's not as though this thing is the measles, smallpox or ebola. So, there is that. However rapidly it might be transmitting in the pockets where it's been found.
Old 03-03-20, 04:27 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost View Post
You are least likely to be infected when riding.
But ONLY if you are riding into the wind and in the front. Ride, Forrest, Ride!!!
Old 03-03-20, 06:38 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
And every hipster doofus knows that the best thing to put on your Coronavirus is a wedge of Lyme disease.
That was last weekís meme.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-03-20, 09:51 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Iím in California. Just wondering if cycling puts you at further risk for the coronavirus. If Iím riding in areas where thereís less people is that better
sorry to be snarky but, have you done any reading at all on this? It's the most basic knowledge that it's exposure to people and surfaces that increase your risk of infection. Bicycling is there opposite of that.
Old 03-04-20, 01:58 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 116 Posts
I am going to go against the grain here and suggest to the OP not to ride his bike. Even if the chance was one in ten billion, that is still a chance for infection. The OP should stay hidden and out of sight until the Covid-19 virus disappear from this planet. Everybody knows it was aliens who planted the virus and will take back the virus afterwards.
Old 03-04-20, 03:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3165 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 258 Posts
I’m in California. Just wondering if cycling puts you at further risk for the coronavirus. If I’m riding in areas where there’s less people is that better?
You have to ride fast enough to outrun it.

That and wrap yourself in toilet paper.
Old 03-04-20, 07:41 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 43 Posts
If you're in California, you're already in grave danger of cleaving off into the Pacific, at which point you will become a sovereign nation, and the rest of America will utter a collective sigh of relief. It is this large, concerted sigh which will be your downfall, as coronavirus will be exhaled in your general direction. If you happen to be breathing the day that the sigh arrives, do hold your breath and cover your mouth if you sneeze. (Because it's polite, even if you're not sick. Yet.) Cycling will have nothing to do with your demise, nor will the earthquake which hath thus cleft your from your American brethren. No, the doom will come from simply sinking into the ocean, as Californians cannot tread water forever, and the state is financially too broke to float a loan. (Oof.) So, ride on, youngblood, and bask in the sun.
This smells deplorable.
Likes For Moishe:
Old 03-04-20, 07:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8545 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,233 Posts
Reminder: No Politics

Once again, please keep the political commentary to yourselves.
Old 03-04-20, 07:53 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 43 Posts
Likes For Moishe:
Old 03-04-20, 08:24 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 272 Posts
Yes, let’s keep ALL politics out.
Old 03-04-20, 03:04 PM
m3tal070

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Iím in California. Just wondering if cycling puts you at further risk for the coronavirus. If Iím riding in areas where thereís less people is that better?
Im sure asking a question like this will gain you lots of responses ranging from serious to silly...all without any weight being added to the answer of your question. My $.02 contribution would be 'maybe?', but dont live life in a state of perpetual fear. However, that response may be too late - you are already in CA.
Likes For m3tal070:
Old 03-04-20, 06:02 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
You have to ride fast enough to outrun it.

That and wrap yourself in toilet paper.
Nah, toilet paper unravels too easily and flops around too much creating too much drag slowing you down. Wrapping yourself in shrink wrap is a lot more aerodynamic.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-05-20, 01:49 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4238 Post(s)
Liked 3,218 Times in 1,831 Posts
Obviously, it is very unlikely that you would get exposed to the virus while actually riding, but we use bikes to go to and between places, and we pick up food and water along the way. We also make stops to get rid of things if you know what I mean.

So, basically, I think a better question might be--does anybody intend to change anything about their riding habits as a result of the epidemic?

Personally, I don't. I'll still stop into places to eat and convenience stores on my very long rides. If the virus is already in such places, I figure it's just a matter of time until pretty much everyone is exposed.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.