Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to ride with the Coronavirus going around?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Is it safe to ride with the Coronavirus going around?

Old 03-06-20, 11:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12770 Post(s)
Liked 5,065 Times in 2,609 Posts
Dr. J went to U. Mass Amherst.
Old 03-06-20, 11:53 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Iím in California. Just wondering if cycling puts you at further risk for the coronavirus. If Iím riding in areas where thereís less people is that better?
???

You are at many-times more risk of getting hit by a car.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-06-20, 11:59 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2529 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by DroppedChain View Post
I am starting to wonder if you are serious here.
This is why looking at poster history can be useful.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-06-20 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-06-20, 12:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 780 Posts
I'm mostly just concerned that all the people diminishing the danger of covid 19 are going to convince people they don't need to wash their hands.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-06-20, 03:36 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Flu is every bit as deadly .... and you know what is really a threat? Driving, with 30-40,000 killed per year (just in he U.S.)

I have a lot better chance of dying on a bike ride than from corona virus---and I have a history of respiratory infections.

Yeah, old and sickly folk are at greater risk .... but that is true for every virus.

I don't think the corona virus isn't real ... i think the hype is ridiculous.

Not sure how old some posters were .... but back in the day every new disease wasn't going to end life on the planet, and every hurricane wasn't the storm of the century .... nobody panicked when the skies got cloudy, nobody bought every sheet of plywood and toilet paper when it started raining .....

I worked in the news media for 15 years, and have been studying it longer than that .... I don't know how many people recall what life was like when"The News" was one of three programs (three channels) than came on every morning and twice at night, at dinner time and at 11 p.m. Back then, when there wasn't a need to constantly outbid the competition with mad craziness 24 hours a day, really big stuff and smaller stuff happened .... and everyone talked about it in calm, rational tones.

Nowadays everything is hype. Shouting is the normal conversational volume of the media, and screaming hysterically is the only way to cut through .... and people seem not to notice.

Bird fly, mad cow .... whatever. yeah, a bunch of farmers will lose. Katrina, New Orleans lost. Stuff happens. Chicxulub, the dinosaurs lost. And you know ... maybe some day, maybe soon, a really virulent disease will decimate humanity. Maybe corona virus is that disease .... or maybe humanity is that disease.

I tend to take a more thoughtful approach. I think I will go ride my bike later.

It's just life.
Yeah, maybe youíre right. Then again, maybe not, despite your years in journalism and your more thoughtful approach.
Old 03-06-20, 04:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 6069 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe View Post
Yeah, maybe youíre right. Then again, maybe not, despite your years in journalism and your more thoughtful approach.
Yup. Same as for every other person on this and every other subject.

Just to ease your feelings, if I die of corona virus you all have my permission to make fun of me using these posts.

We are all leaving here eventually, one way or another. I find fear diminishes my quality of life, and I don't see much I can do top stop a virus, .... and i do see where a lot of people seem to panic over very little, and I do see where the media hypes anything and everything it thinks will get people to consume its product .... and I could be wrong about all that.

Maybe the media is more fact-based, unbiased, accurate, calm, and restrained in its presentation than ever before. Maybe panic improves quality of life. And maybe I am the key to eliminating the corona virus, if I would only accept the responsibility.

I just don't think any of those things are true.

Anyway ... we return you now to our regularly scheduled bicycling-related commentary ......
Old 03-06-20, 04:06 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: N+1; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 269 Posts
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-06-20, 04:27 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked 3,309 Times in 1,884 Posts
Yup. Same as for every other person on this and every other subject.

Just to ease your feelings, if I die of corona virus you all have my permission to make fun of me using these posts.

We are all leaving here eventually, one way or another. I find fear diminishes my quality of life, and I don't see much I can do top stop a virus, .... and i do see where a lot of people seem to panic over very little, and I do see where the media hypes anything and everything it thinks will get people to consume its product .... and I could be wrong about all that.

Maybe the media is more fact-based, unbiased, accurate, calm, and restrained in its presentation than ever before. Maybe panic improves quality of life. And maybe I am the key to eliminating the corona virus, if I would only accept the responsibility.

I just don't think any of those things are true.

Anyway ... we return you now to our regularly scheduled bicycling-related commentary ......
You pretty much asked for it when you claimed your approach was "more thoughtful.". You actually need to know something to decide reasonably whether it's important to you or not. I'm 59 years old, I don't remember anywhere near this much disruption occurring from an epidemic in my lifetime.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-06-20, 04:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 6069 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I'm 59 years old, I don't remember anywhere near this much disruption occurring from an epidemic in my lifetime.
Ummmm ..... yeah ... . think about what I Actually said.

Most of the disruption is not from the illness but from the hype.

Neither of us lived through Spanish influenza. Now That was some disruption .....

Again I not that automobiles have killed 30-40,000 people in the U.S. every year since 1960 .... I guess death on that scale isn't "disruptive"? And why not? Because people accept it and take it in stride.

Anyway ... not much point in continuing this, is there? You and I have stated and explained our positions. not much is not clear.

I will let you have the last word ... and if you choose to post further I will read what you wrote and consider it ... but likely i will not reply, not out of disrespect, but because I think this one has run its course and while beating a dead horse is not necessarily animal cruelty, I am not sure I want to get involved.

Thanks for your respectful responses.
Old 03-06-20, 05:53 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
I'd rather be alone riding my bike than to be in a stuffy bus where someone is coughing.
Old 03-06-20, 06:10 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 400 Posts
I'm 59 years old, I don't remember anywhere near this much disruption occurring from an epidemic in my lifetime.
HIV has disrupted millions of lives in the last 40 years...Coronavirus originated in some animal and was passed to humans, just like HIV originally came from an animal...It just goes to show that when humans violate the laws of nature and laws of universe, then all hell breaks loose.
Old 03-06-20, 06:20 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
It's the group and charity rides I'm most concerned with, especially the rest stops and communal food tables...
Old 03-06-20, 10:11 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 43 Posts
Flu is every bit as deadly .... and you know what is really a threat? Driving, with 30-40,000 killed per year (just in he U.S.)

I have a lot better chance of dying on a bike ride than from corona virus---and I have a history of respiratory infections.

Yeah, old and sickly folk are at greater risk .... but that is true for every virus.

I don't think the corona virus isn't real ... i think the hype is ridiculous.

Not sure how old some posters were .... but back in the day every new disease wasn't going to end life on the planet, and every hurricane wasn't the storm of the century .... nobody panicked when the skies got cloudy, nobody bought every sheet of plywood and toilet paper when it started raining .....

I worked in the news media for 15 years, and have been studying it longer than that .... I don't know how many people recall what life was like when"The News" was one of three programs (three channels) than came on every morning and twice at night, at dinner time and at 11 p.m. Back then, when there wasn't a need to constantly outbid the competition with mad craziness 24 hours a day, really big stuff and smaller stuff happened .... and everyone talked about it in calm, rational tones.

Nowadays everything is hype. Shouting is the normal conversational volume of the media, and screaming hysterically is the only way to cut through .... and people seem not to notice.

Bird fly, mad cow .... whatever. yeah, a bunch of farmers will lose. Katrina, New Orleans lost. Stuff happens. Chicxulub, the dinosaurs lost. And you know ... maybe some day, maybe soon, a really virulent disease will decimate humanity. Maybe corona virus is that disease .... or maybe humanity is that disease.

I tend to take a more thoughtful approach. I think I will go ride my bike later.

It's just life.
Why not just take a less thoughtful approach, like the rest of us? Youíd probably enjoy your ride better.
Old 03-06-20, 10:36 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Ummmm ..... yeah ... . think about what I Actually said.

Most of the disruption is not from the illness but from the hype.

Neither of us lived through Spanish influenza. Now That was some disruption .....

Again I not that automobiles have killed 30-40,000 people in the U.S. every year since 1960 .... I guess death on that scale isn't "disruptive"? And why not? Because people accept it and take it in stride.

Anyway ... not much point in continuing this, is there? You and I have stated and explained our positions. not much is not clear.

I will let you have the last word ... and if you choose to post further I will read what you wrote and consider it ... but likely i will not reply, not out of disrespect, but because I think this one has run its course and while beating a dead horse is not necessarily animal cruelty, I am not sure I want to get involved.

Thanks for your respectful responses.
I chose the word "disruption" carefully, I'm not comparing the numbers of deaths, which at this point we have no idea will be. But no, I think "it's all media hype" a thoughtless assertion based on intentional low information. We're already looking at entire countries virtually shutting down, and it appears that air travel is falling off to the lowest level since 9/11. When transportation starts breaking down, commerce is not far behind.

You are not exempt from the human condition and all indications are that this is not going to be effectively contained. Reasonable experts are predicting that 70% of the human population will eventually be infected. That's not reason for panic, but it really makes assertions that you aren't going to be part of this look rather silly. If you don't like being told that, don't tell us how much more "thoughtful" you are than everyone else. Just because people get killed in car accidents is no reason to ignore the brush fire down the street.
Old 03-06-20, 10:42 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
HIV has disrupted millions of lives in the last 40 years...Coronavirus originated in some animal and was passed to humans, just like HIV originally came from an animal...It just goes to show that when humans violate the laws of nature and laws of universe, then all hell breaks loose.
No, it just shows that we are animals that live in an ecosystem and we forget that at our peril. I have no idea what you mean by "laws of nature and laws of universe" but I'm pretty sure you haven't got a copy of them.
Old 03-07-20, 07:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12770 Post(s)
Liked 5,065 Times in 2,609 Posts
Old 03-07-20, 07:57 AM
cb400bill
High Derolic Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked 2,455 Times in 1,522 Posts
Where can I get some 700x25 Dunlops?
Old 03-07-20, 04:53 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 719 Posts
Done right it's even safer.

Old 03-07-20, 05:27 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 160 Posts
Had someone cough in my face while walking through a short very narrow spot with unofficial dismount signs.

On the plus side he was jogging.

Granted, that's not 100% exonerating.

Nothing in life is certain...
Old 03-07-20, 05:45 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 160 Posts
My understanding is that polio was a cause of much fear (some of it quite founded - a classmates mother walked with a cane) up until the 1950s, but wide scale vaccination arrived around six years before you did, so yes for something with an uncontrollable risk-to-everyone footprint, you're likely correct.

So, basically, I think a better question might be--does anybody intend to change anything about their riding habits as a result of the epidemic?
It has me debating plans, yes. Ending up far from home and possibly reliant on public transit to get back - even in a situation where everything goes according to plan a ride that's made of enjoyable miles means a dawn train trip out to a trail (which seems safe enough) and but then more worrisome dusk return one.

Personally, I don't. I'll still stop into places to eat and convenience stores on my very long rides.
Much as currently at home, while I'll go into stores, I'll be sticking to pre-packaged containers or things I can (re)heat, with due awareness that the exposed and handled / breathed on exterior of the packaging is probably more of a risk than food itself, at least once a few hours have passed. Not quite as draconian as it sounds, last really long ride ended up stuck with that anyway just because on the first really nice day of the season lines in the little tourist towns for anything hand prepared were insane.

And having discovered a small pot of gold, er I mean pocket bottle of hand sanitizer forgotten in my medicine cabinet, I'll probably bring that where previously I would not.

If the virus is already in such places, I figure it's just a matter of time until pretty much everyone is exposed.
That's the real dilemma. You start to hear we're just all going to get it and most are going to be okay. And then you hear there're talking about locking down the northern quarter of Italy.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-07-20 at 05:57 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 03-07-20, 09:22 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked 1,147 Times in 675 Posts
Flu is every bit as deadly ....
The CDC, WHO, and pretty much all the experts seem to think otherwise.

The mode of transmission is similar to the flu, possibly just a tad slower. BUT (and this is a huge) there is currently no vaccine, so it travels through a population MUCH faster. So without extra precautions (like shutting down whole regions like China did, and now Italy) al LOT more people will get it. And for those who DO get it, current estimates of the corona virus mortality rate range from 1.4% to 3.4%. The seasonal flu is typically around 0.1%. In other words, if you get it, it is 14-34 times as likely to kill you.

The reason it has not killed as many people as the flu is that is has only existed in the world for about 3 months.

The (entirely rational) fear is that if this is not contained now (if it is not already too late), over the next year it will kill A LOT more people than the flu. We may see a drop off in the spring if it is seasonal bug (this is unknown), but if that happens it is expected to come back much harder next fall/winter.

Panic is not called for, but dismissing this is dangerous. This is not like recent disease scares. There are important differences. Ebola is pretty easy to control and contain in a western country, and the CDC said all along that the risk of it spreading in the US was very unlikely. SARS and MERS were extraordinary dangerous and deadly, but they were successfully contained. Corona virus was not contained. That horse has left the barn.

I am not being alarmist, just stating the facts as best we know them.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-07-20, 09:26 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked 1,147 Times in 675 Posts
As far as affecting my cycling.....

It probably won't affect my local cycling, other than I may avoid some group rides if this hits my area.

On the other hand, I may be re-assessing some cycling-related travel plans over the next couple months. I'll just have to see.
Old 03-09-20, 11:40 AM
Greywulf73

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CoronaVirus

Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Iím in California. Just wondering if cycling puts you at further risk for the coronavirus. If Iím riding in areas where thereís less people is that better?
Hey DreamRider85,

So long as you follow WHO as well as the US and Californiaís health departmentís recommendations you should be able to stave off any infection. I recommend riding solo for the time being or at least riding with folk whom have not travelled recently or been around those who have travelled recently. Of course, the more isolated you are, the lesser chance for transmission of the virus. Still, if you are going out and shaking hands and touching everything you can touch then ďforgetting to wash your hands and touching your face and things you would ingest, then youíre placing yourself at a higher risk.

Iím guessing youíd be around 35 and relatively healthy so unless you have asthma, diabetes or some other chronic disease, you have a lesser chance of becoming seriously ill.

Is there a chance that you could contract it? Sure but you could contract it by going to work, to the grocery store or the movies much more easily. So I say ride to your heartís content but ride cautious and follow health department recommendations.
Likes For Greywulf73:
Old 03-09-20, 11:40 AM
Artmo

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Far more people dying of drug overdoses each day than from the expensive beer coronavirus
And by gunshots! About 100 per day and no panic with that!
Likes For Artmo:
Old 03-09-20, 11:52 AM
Larry Lem 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride by yourself, fine.
Ride with 5000 other people where 100 are sick but are riding anyway or 10 have COVID-19 but aren't showing symptoms yet, dumb.
Likes For Larry Lem 1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.