Old 03-04-20, 01:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12766 Post(s)
Liked 5,061 Times in 2,606 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxWeber View Post

Coronavirus is bad news for everyone

Not for some segments of the Medical Industrial Complex. As Chris Rock cogently observed, "The money's in the medicine."

Definitely NSFW.

Old 03-04-20, 02:56 PM
m3tal070

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
People die all the time. Death is a fact of life,. So what?
That empathy...
Likes For m3tal070:
Old 03-04-20, 04:38 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
This is such an oddly dismissive comment because you tell others to basically not freak out since there are alternatives to what they want, yet you also list things that you want(are concerned about).

- the OP didnt claim or even suggest that its the end of the world due to a component being unavailable.
- why is being concerned about the stock markets or economy any more justifiable than being concerned about manufacturing and retail supply chains(the topic of this thread)? Those stock markets and the economies you are concerned about are made up of...many supply chains, which is what the OP is discussing. You are basically concerned about the same thing as the OP, but his is a micro level and yours is a macro level.

Odd to be dismissive.
Stock markets going down and economy is far more important than not being able to get certain brand of some high-end bike component. If you can't get one type of bike component so what ??. Find another that is available, there are so many choices out there. If you have to settle down for some lower-end component until things get back to normal, so what ??
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-04-20, 07:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5054 Post(s)
Liked 2,373 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Stock markets going down and economy is far more important than not being able to get certain brand of some high-end bike component. If you can't get one type of bike component so what ??. Find another that is available, there are so many choices out there. If you have to settle down for some lower-end component until things get back to normal, so what ??
This is a cycling forum. Topics will be about...cycling. When components arent available itll naturally be discussed since, you know, this is a cycling forum.

Your dismissive 'find another' could be applied to much in life, but hobbies arent about simply surviving life, they are about enjoying life.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-04-20, 08:14 PM
indyfabz

I like where this thread is going.
Old 03-04-20, 10:06 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by m3tal070 View Post
That empathy...
And you took time from your busy schedule to comment on my alleged lack of empathy.

Do you really think that a person who supposedly lacks empathy would really care about your virtue signaling comment? Think about it.

Yes, death is the natural by-product of life. And yes people die, ALL the time. There is nothing we can do about it.

Cultures, with far more time on this planet, take a far more detached view on death.

Would you have felt better if I wrote, “thoughts and prayers,” after my comment?

As my favorite British sage, Ricky Gervais, once remarked, “offense is the collateral damage of free speech.”

Ponder that one.

Peace out.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-05-20, 05:46 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4281 Post(s)
Liked 3,274 Times in 1,871 Posts
This is a cycling forum. Topics will be about...cycling. When components arent available itll naturally be discussed since, you know, this is a cycling forum.

Your dismissive 'find another' could be applied to much in life, but hobbies arent about simply surviving life, they are about enjoying life.

I think the problem with the OP is that it's an incredibly trivial example of something that is actually a serious problem --supply lines of all manners of goods are going to be disrupted. This will have a lot bigger economic effects than not being able to buy Campy. Whether there is anything special to say about that in regards to cycling remains to be seen. Certainly hasn't been any evidence of that in this thread.

If China really is shutting down, I guess I'd be a lot more concerned about how many people are going to be laid off than whether I can replace my shifters.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-05-20, 07:44 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 307 Posts
With niche market products, supply chain disruptions are a fact of life. What you're experiencing could be a coincidence. On the other hand, my small business depends on parts made in China, and I just got a big shipment yesterday. I don't think there's going to be any predictable pattern. Things that come in big container ships are potentially a problem, because there is apparently a shortage of the containers at Chinese sea ports right now.

Cultures, with far more time on this planet, take a far more detached view on death.

Which specific culture are you thinking of, and how are they reacting to the COVID-19?

Last edited by Gresp15C; 03-05-20 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 09:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5054 Post(s)
Liked 2,373 Times in 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I think the problem with the OP is that it's an incredibly trivial example of something that is actually a serious problem --supply lines of all manners of goods are going to be disrupted. This will have a lot bigger economic effects than not being able to buy Campy. Whether there is anything special to say about that in regards to cycling remains to be seen. Certainly hasn't been any evidence of that in this thread.

If China really is shutting down, I guess I'd be a lot more concerned about how many people are going to be laid off than whether I can replace my shifters.
I guess I am confused as to why this has been phrased as an 'either or' scenario. Why is it that we must only care about the big economic and societal disruptions? Why cant discussion take place about the macro and the micro?
Its interesting to me to hear what is not available and also interesting to hear what is available. Are those goods still available because they are produced in an area of China/Asia that isnt affected? Are those goods still available because of high inventory prior to the slowdown in manufacturing?
That, to me, is interesting.

And while that is worth discussing to some, it doesnt mean those people arent also concerned about the large scale economic shakeup or the safety/health of people.
Old 03-05-20, 09:28 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 333 Posts

And no, I don’t think that my bikes will catch on fire if I use a Shimano or SRAM cassette. The question was whether, or how well it will work properly.
I'm running a Shimano R8000 11-28 cassette on my Colnago with Record 11. I don't have any experience running Campagnolo cassettes, but it shifts just as crisp as my trainer bike with Dura Ace mechanical. The only difference between the two is there is no question when the Record group makes a shift with it's audible "ka thunk" using the thumb paddle on the down shift.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 03-05-20, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

I guess I am confused as to why this has been phrased as an 'either or' scenario. Why is it that we must only care about the big economic and societal disruptions? Why cant discussion take place about the macro and the micro?
Its interesting to me to hear what is not available and also interesting to hear what is available. Are those goods still available because they are produced in an area of China/Asia that isnt affected? Are those goods still available because of high inventory prior to the slowdown in manufacturing?
That, to me, is interesting.

And while that is worth discussing to some, it doesnt mean those people arent also concerned about the large scale economic shakeup or the safety/health of people.

There's a mismatch between the title of this thread and the scale of the "problem" identified in the OP. Hey, if we all want to list parts we're having trouble finding, fine. I just think it's missing the forest for the trees.
Old 03-05-20, 12:53 PM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Strade-Bianche is cancelled. Does that count?
Likes For BonkonFleet:
Old 03-05-20, 03:47 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 40 Posts
I wonder if more are also looking to buy bikes rather than going to the gym. I stopped by my gym earlier today at normally a fairly busy time, but hardly anyone was there. The trails I hike have seemed much busier, though.

As for parts and my own desire to start riding again, an LBS was going to contact me last week about an unsold 2018 bike once a new derailleur came in. (If I understood correctly, the owner used the part to repair another bike and is awaiting a replacement).
Old 03-05-20, 03:54 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '87 Centurion IM Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 52 Posts
So, from Pacific Northwest all major IT companies are asking to work from home if you can - and most of us can.
Awesome that the school district is still all open, but son is down win a stomach bug. I also got it and now fell pretty good.
I am thinking on having some rides since weather looks nice around.
Old 03-05-20, 04:16 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 101 Posts
Sea Otter Bicycle Festival at Laguna Seca Postponed

Guessing anything that involves a large gathering of people over the next several months has a very good chance of being postponed/cancelled.
Likes For August West:
Old 03-06-20, 12:33 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
I'm running a Shimano R8000 11-28 cassette on my Colnago with Record 11. I don't have any experience running Campagnolo cassettes, but it shifts just as crisp as my trainer bike with Dura Ace mechanical. The only difference between the two is there is no question when the Record group makes a shift with it's audible "ka thunk" using the thumb paddle on the down shift.
Thank you. I am going to buy a Shimano cassette and try it.

BTW, yours is the kind of useful, on point, and helpful response that BF is best known for. Not the snarky and irrelevant responses that seem to be the norm with some users.

Gracias.
Old 03-06-20, 01:10 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
With niche market products, supply chain disruptions are a fact of life. What you're experiencing could be a coincidence. On the other hand, my small business depends on parts made in China, and I just got a big shipment yesterday. I don't think there's going to be any predictable pattern. Things that come in big container ships are potentially a problem, because there is apparently a shortage of the containers at Chinese sea ports right now.

Which specific culture are you thinking of, and how are they reacting to the COVID-19?
Both WAHOO and Garmin (Tacx) specifically referenced the coronavirus to explain the shortage (actually the unavailability) of Campy freehub bodies.

Regarding your question about cultural differences and how they affect our view on death and dying, I would simply refer you to this article (it is a bit long but it is a very good discussion of the topic).

https://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/cgi/vi...0&context=orpc

My father is 89 years old, suffers from advanced dementia and he is close to the end of his life. The man who raised me, the man who taught me the value of hard work, the man who taught me to treat everyone equally and with respect, the man who taught me astronomy and yes, the man who bought my first bike and taught me how to ride it; that man, already died several years ago when dementia stole the essence of his being. So, by no choice of my own, I have been forced to take a long and hard look at the meaning of death and dying.

What a writer here decried as a lack of empathy on my part is nothing but a realization of what it means to die. True empathy should be reserved for the living and not for the dead.

Finally, the kind of virtue signaling expressed by many here seems to be part of a new phenomenon: people beating their chest to let others know how good or virtuous they are.

It all results in a lot of hot air and much blah blah, but seldom yields effective change or positive results.

Peace out!

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 03-06-20 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 01:17 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by August West View Post
Sea Otter Bicycle Festival at Laguna Seca Postponed

Guessing anything that involves a large gathering of people over the next several months has a very good chance of being postponed/cancelled.
I had made plans to attend this year’s Sea Otter Festival since it takes place around my birthday. The Monterey Bay area is lovely this time of the year.

Oh well, there is always next year.
Old 03-06-20, 01:25 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by mtb_addict View Post
the conventional wisdom is that corona virus die off in warmer season. in the summer, the virus should be no longer a threat.
You may, or may not, be correct about the effects of warmer weather on the corona virus.

The correct definition of the term “conventional wisdom” is explained below; you applied it correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_wisdom
Old 03-06-20, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

You may, or may not, be correct about the effects of warmer weather on the corona virus.

The correct definition of the term “conventional wisdom” is explained below; you applied it correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_wisdom

Not according to the definition you posted. No experts are predicting that the virus will die off in the summer. It's complete nonsense.
Old 03-06-20, 08:31 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Biria Easy Boarding 8, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa View Post
I stopped by my gym earlier today at normally a fairly busy time, but hardly anyone was there.
I rode (bike related content) to the library yesterday at a normally busy time at it was very empty. Except for my neighbor was there. She thought maybe it was an effect from the virus scare. We shall see. Planning on riding today too.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-06-20, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
I rode (bike related content) to the library yesterday at a normally busy time at it was very empty. Except for my neighbor was there. She thought maybe it was an effect from the virus scare. We shall see. Planning on riding today too.
I'm in Philly. No reported cases yet, but there have been some in the county just to our north, resulting in the closure of some schools. There are also new cases in a NJ township just across the river.

Took the bus to work this morning because it's supposed to pour later. Three bus routes into town stop at the intersection where I wait. There were noticeably fewer people waiting this morning. The bus was eerily not crowded. Traffic was also lighter than normal. Made me wonder if today is a holiday I forgot about.
Old 03-07-20, 05:09 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
We're having the same problem at work -- shipments from the Far East are stalled. We NEED our photoresist coating compound to stay in business. No, there are no other sources of the specialty chemical compounds we use. We had a 'blanket order' with this company in China, and our shipment is sitting on the docks since the first part of February.... We're already rationing our product - limiting the number of items that we can send to customers at one time - putting the rest on back-order.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Old 03-07-20, 05:19 PM
eja_ bottecchia

I wish to thank all of you who wrote answering my question whether a Shimano cassette would work with my Campy rear mech. You told me that indeed it would work, so I went ahead, put a Shimano cassette on the WAHOO Core, mounted my bike, went for an indoor ride and...voila! It does work.

So again, thank you for your suggestions.

Old 03-07-20, 05:43 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 333 Posts
I wish to thank all of you who wrote answering my question whether a Shimano cassette would work with my Campy rear mech. You told me that indeed it would work, so I went ahead, put a Shimano cassette on the WAHOO Core, mounted my bike, went for an indoor ride and...voila! It does work.

So again, thank you for your suggestions.

Awesome! You have the best bikes. I’m super envious of your vintage collection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.