Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Old 03-10-20, 06:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
I guess the other side of it is where you will need to get OFF the train. If you are getting off at a "stop" and you have all your gear "checked" you're SOL. There is no "baggage service" at the "stops", only the major terminals.
The train schedule (in PDF format) lists which stations are luggage stops and which are not. The train station near my home is in a very small town, but it is a luggage stop.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-10-20, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14547 Post(s)
Liked 7,898 Times in 3,940 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO View Post
I guess the other side of it is where you will need to get OFF the train. If you are getting off at a "stop" and you have all your gear "checked" you're SOL. There is no "baggage service" at the "stops", only the major terminals.
Depends on the type of bike service offered. Several Amtrak routes offer Carry-on bike service that allows you to walk your bike onto the train and walk it off at any station. No checking required. The Vermonter is a good example. I have taken it twice. The Capitol Limited is another example. (It also offers checked baggage service at certain stops.)

Here is the link to Amtrak's rules, which show which trains offer which types of bike service(s):

https://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-10-20, 11:50 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333 View Post
That is good news. Things are looking up in China just in time for me to flee the USA, where some of our leadership is pretending things are just hunky-dory (good album btw). I'm thinking Thailand Cambodia Laos Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5P63qGTm_g
Donít know where you are getting your information, but heading to the source of the outbreak is probably not the best idea. More transparency in the USA than most other places, which is a good thing.
Old 03-10-20, 12:25 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
Donít know where you are getting your information, but heading to the source of the outbreak is probably not the best idea. More transparency in the USA than most other places, which is a good thing.
There are presently >800 COVID19 infected in USA, and 87 infected in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam combined, according to NYT and WHO:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...irus-maps.html

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...beeeee1b9125cd
Old 03-10-20, 03:12 PM
alan s 

There are presently >800 COVID19 infected in USA, and 87 infected in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam combined, according to NYT and WHO:

Well then, sounds safe. Enjoy your trip, by all means.
Old 03-10-20, 06:18 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 697 Posts
Oddly, This summer I had planned on some off the beaten path bike packing trips. Either the KVR in the BC interior, Cypress Hills in Saskatchewan and/or a back roads gravel ride through parts of the prairies and Great Sand Hills (also Sask). I was feeling bad that those were somewhat uninspired choices but now they seem to be great!

I would be a little worried about forward booking and airline schedules not so much for the virus but because of travel precautions that might be put in place.
Old 03-10-20, 08:21 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I am planning to participate in a five day event in Louisiana in April called Cycle Zydeco. And hopefully a 1000+ mile ride from Dayton, OH to Pueblo, CO in the summer. Unless things get a lot worse, I see no reason to postpone these two domestic trips. But then I'm currently in Australia and my wife and I are looking at nearly 20 hours of travel time to return to California next week which forced us to do some extra research as well as some soul searching. We both feel that with minimal precautions we'll be just fine. We do recognize that there is a minor risk of infection; however, even if we were infected, the virus has a low fatality rate and most cases are so mild that the infected person doesn't even recognize that they have it. This isn't to say that others shouldn't make the decision to stay local this year, but we feel safe to follow our original plans.

Regarding the Amtrak discussion above, I've used Amtrak several times and really like the service. As mentioned, for many trains there is roll on - roll off service which requires no boxing at all. If you plan on using it, please carefully check with Amtrak to confirm that your train offers this service and how to go about using it as it may require a bike reservation.
Old 03-10-20, 10:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 1,105 Posts
I had no plans to go international anyway but don't really plan on changing too much about my life because of this. Too much misinformation flying around and seemingly no great sources for solid non-biased, fact and science based coverage.

I probably will do some small tours here and there but don't ever seem to have the time for something longer.
Old 03-11-20, 05:07 AM
indyfabz

Iím a member of a touring page on Facebook. Itís very large, with a lot of members who tour all over the world. Members are reporting incidents of foreigners being refused service in places like restaurants and even being yelled at in Viet Nam. Of course, thatís now. Could be different later.
Old 03-11-20, 11:14 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 110 Posts
It really wasn't a tour, but yes. I was bringing my bike to Washington DC. I was going to a meeting a day early to ride from DC to Mt. Vernon, but now my meeting was cancelled. It wasn't a tour but I was using the bike for transportation on a mini-vacation.
Old 03-11-20, 05:13 PM
seeker333
-

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Iím a member of a touring page on Facebook. Itís very large, with a lot of members who tour all over the world. Members are reporting incidents of foreigners being refused service in places like restaurants and even being yelled at in Viet Nam. Of course, thatís now. Could be different later.
This FB group? I just joined it, my first FB group. I don't really use FB other than to keep abreast of friend and family postings.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicy...ngBikepacking/
Old 03-11-20, 06:17 PM
indyfabz

This FB group? I just joined it, my first FB group. I don't really use FB other than to keep abreast of friend and family postings.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bicy...ngBikepacking/
Thatís the one. Apparently all the virus posts now get moved to one mega thread. Donít know how to find it.
Old 03-11-20, 06:27 PM
seeker333
-

Thought so, TY.

Checking links in my earlier post, I see there now appear to be >1200 cases in US and 97 in Thai-Cam-Vietnam.

BTW, the trick to viewing NYT content for free is to a. have a slow (Verizon wireless) internet connection, and b. when NYT page starts loading, hit your browser's "stop loading" button. Repeat as necessary. Timed properly, the desired content will load before the enrollment-checker-and-failure-screen-blocker has a chance to load and obscure desired content.
Old 03-12-20, 01:11 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
No one is wearing masks in my area except for one person I met today whom has a flu and chest infection. She can't get tested because the government, says only people that can be tested are those whom have been overseas or has been near someone whom has been overseas, or near someone that has the virus. But I am considering going to an out of the way bush camp, for an unspecified extended time, until this blows over. It is a days ride from home and 10km from a town in the bush , that I can resupply from. It is on a clean flowing river, that has fish. It is upstream of any town, so no pollution. This is what I think I will do. will not see any people there so will be safe for dog and I. I wont be doing any other touring other than bush camping. Will be extra careful going in for resupply..
Old 03-12-20, 02:07 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 130 Posts
you can track the virus here:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

china seems to be getting a handle on it. wuhan has shut down the two emergency field hospitals they built. here in hainan, no new cases in more than two weeks, only two still in hospital. shutting down public transportation and enforcing quarantine appears to work. we'll see what happens as more factories and schools reopen.

i wouldn't trust the thai numbers. their economy is highly dependent on (chinese) tourism and the junta is heavily dependent on chinese patronage. chinese tourists are still entering. last week 5000 illegal workers were deported from south korea, thailand failed miserably with the testing and quarantine upon return. hundreds ran away and still can't be located.

as to numbers...........remember thailand has the highest traffic death rate in the world (excluding libya undergoing a civil war). they only count deaths on scene. deaths in the hospital, or in the ambulance on the way don't count in the statistic. i would assume their virus stats are equally bogus.

Last edited by saddlesores; 03-12-20 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-12-20, 03:59 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Still shooting for Montana and Idaho in mid-June. The "only" thing I have invested in the trip so far is a really expensive flight. Also have a four-day in NJ and DE planned for Easter weekend.
Indy -
Mid-June can be a smidgen early some years. Especially at higher elevations.
Last year we had cold/damp weather until late June in northern Wyoming.
Bring along warm clothes just in case. - J
Old 03-12-20, 05:15 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jamawani View Post
Indy -
Mid-June can be a smidgen early some years. Especially at higher elevations.
Last year we had cold/damp weather until late June in northern Wyoming.
Bring along warm clothes just in case. - J
Yep. I always do. Have hit light snow on Lost Trail Pass and crossing the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway towards Wise River. One year I woke up in Missoula on the first riding day at it was 32 degrees out. At least it was sunny.
Old 03-12-20, 07:36 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by saddlesores View Post

china seems to be getting a handle on it. wuhan has shut down the two emergency field hospitals they built. here in hainan, no new cases in more than two weeks, only two still in hospital. shutting down public transportation and enforcing quarantine appears to work. we'll see what happens as more factories and schools reopen.

i wouldn't trust the thai numbers. their economy is highly dependent on (chinese) tourism and the junta is heavily dependent on chinese patronage. chinese tourists are still entering. last week 5000 illegal workers were deported from south korea, thailand failed miserably with the testing and quarantine upon return. hundreds ran away and still can't be located.

as to numbers...........remember thailand has the highest traffic death rate in the world (excluding libya undergoing a civil war). they only count deaths on scene. deaths in the hospital, or in the ambulance on the way don't count in the statistic. i would assume their virus stats are equally bogus.
Any country with government-controlled media and healthcare is suspect, and those that depend heavily on tourism are even more questionable. They have a strong self-interest to minimize or cover up. Thailand fits into that category.
Old 03-12-20, 08:09 AM
Papa Tom

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 132 Posts
I don't have any plans to tour outside of the USA, but I do go out of state every summer, and this always involves a ferry, a train, and a hotel. I, personally, don't plan to drastically alter my behavior over something that, at worst, can kill me, but the world might make certain decisions for me that I can't anticipate right now. Maybe all ferry travel will be halted because someone is afraid the virus will blow over from a nearby cruise ship. Maybe the Long Island Rail Road will cancel any routes that pass through Corona, Queens, in fear of people contracting Coronavirus by power-of-suggestion. Or maybe all Hilton hotels across America will be shut down because someone in the Hamptons (an upscale Long Island summer community) catches a cold and some Facebooker botches a post, stating that someone in a Hampton Inn tested positive and, therefore, all Hilton-owned chains should be avoided.

We just don't know at this point. It's a serious issue because, in my opinion, nobody seems to be a verified resource for valid, useful information right now. I'm gonna choose to live, though.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 03-12-20 at 02:36 PM.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-12-20, 11:19 AM
Papa Tom

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

...aaaand once again, it looks like I've killed another thread.
Old 03-12-20, 01:27 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
A lot of the events I was planning on attending in the next couple of weeks have been cancelled. All the focus/concern in the US seems to be on limiting large gatherings of people where the virus can be easily spread to several people over a short period of time. So I'm thinking about things I can do that involve mostly being on my own and away from large groups of people, and it's suddenly feeling like a good time to be biking around and sleeping in the woods. Unless they release me from any responsibility to work, I don't see this outbreak turning into a full-blown tour, but it's possible that, as a result of the virus, I may get a few overnight, bike-camping trips in that weren't part of my original plan.
Old 03-12-20, 01:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3163 Post(s)
Liked 1,108 Times in 834 Posts
Uh, yup. Everyone I know has cancelled or was forced to cancel. I'm liking riding near home, eating at home. The road would be fine as long as one didn't use stores, restaurants, or accommodations. A long backpack trip would be nice, but it's still too early. I'm probably being overly paranoid - or not. In Italy, people are observing quarantine with the dead bodies of their family members. This is not good.
Old 03-12-20, 01:38 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
...aaaand once again, it looks like I've killed another thread.
No, but the mods should censor your political statements.
Old 03-12-20, 01:50 PM
seeker333
-

Originally Posted by saddlesores View Post
china seems to be getting a handle on it. wuhan has shut down the two emergency field hospitals they built. here in hainan, no new cases in more than two weeks, only two still in hospital. shutting down public transportation and enforcing quarantine appears to work. we'll see what happens as more factories and schools reopen. i wouldn't trust the thai numbers. their economy is highly dependent on (chinese) tourism and the junta is heavily dependent on chinese patronage. chinese tourists are still entering. last week 5000 illegal workers were deported from south korea, thailand failed miserably with the testing and quarantine upon return. hundreds ran away and still can't be located. as to numbers...........remember thailand has the highest traffic death rate in the world (excluding libya undergoing a civil war). they only count deaths on scene. deaths in the hospital, or in the ambulance on the way don't count in the statistic. i would assume their virus stats are equally bogus.
Thanks for the more detailed JHU COVID tracking site. It did not appear when I googled days ago.

I believe you on Thai traffic deaths - according to WHO they are in the top five worst countries for fatalities per capita, many being motorbike fatalities. USA is in the middle of the pack and Norway the lowest (for a bike-tourable country), which also has lots of free camping. Thailand also has relatively poor Air Quality, which is apparently under-measured and under-reported. Misrepresenting COVID would certainly not be unimaginable.

I expect airfares and motels are really cheap for the next several weeks. Airlines are forced to fly empty planes around in part to retain their slots at major airports (use it or lose it policies).
Old 03-12-20, 02:37 PM
Papa Tom

No, but the mods should censor your political statements.
Just did it myself. Sorry, and thank you for calling me out on that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.