Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Old 03-08-20, 10:16 PM
john m flores

Bikes: Cinelli Hobootleg, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo, Serotta Tri Colorado, Raleigh Technium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

Curious to see where peoples' heads are at...
Old 03-08-20, 10:25 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Yes. Had a detailed plan for Rome to Bari to Balkans and then back to Rome. Now, I am working on a ride around Ireland, instead. June timeframe.

I’ve put the Rome - Balkans trip on hold for a year.
Old 03-08-20, 10:37 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 62 Posts
absolutely! we had eight weeks off for lunar new year, was planning a couple of short tours on the mainland (guangxi) and here on the island (hainan). even in the early stages, travel to the mainland was out, managed some local riding, but for the last month we've been stuck inside.

everything but supermarkets and convenience stores was shut down for the holiday, but that just never ended. just this past week, some businesses have started to reopen, fast food joints are now allowing customers to eat in the dining areas. still no municipal bus service.

hainan was only lightly hit by the virus, maybe due to warmer temps, maybe due to low population density. 'only' 168 cases total, 6 deaths. most have recovered, with only 3 remaining in hospital.

our housing complex has been on quasi-lockdown since early february. only one person per household every other day can go out for supplies. constant temperature checks, and now a cellphone app with a color-coded QR-code showing health status needed to access any public facilities like train stations, malls, supermarkets, schools, etc.

no new cases here in over 2 weeks, so expect to get clearance this week to start normal (relatively) life again.

Last edited by saddlesores; 03-09-20 at 12:33 AM. Reason: stupid formatting!
Old 03-09-20, 04:35 AM
djb

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 258 Posts
Saddle, fascinating in sight into your daily life and how a large scale control is.

and yes, wondering myself if any summer plan ideas will actually be able to happen.
Old 03-09-20, 05:27 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
Saddle, fascinating in sight into your daily life and how a large scale control is.

and yes, wondering myself if any summer plan ideas will actually be able to happen.
looks like we'll be getting clearance to resume normal operations sometime this week. maybe.

plan is to return to thailand for the summer, sometime in july. looking to buy some property in a small town away from bangkok, prepare to start building a house. that's if i have any money left after this week..............

haven't decided if we'll return to china next year. if so, we'll be busy with the property. if not, then depending on how things go, might do a short tour in cambodia or laos.

Last edited by saddlesores; 03-09-20 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 05:30 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 192 Posts
Looks like it, we had 5 weeks in Japan planned. No way would I want to be sick in a Japanese hospital, even ordering food would be difficult because of the language barrier, let alone talking to medical staff. Even being a bit sick while touring would suck.
Old 03-09-20, 06:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11738 Post(s)
Liked 3,570 Times in 1,899 Posts
Still shooting for Montana and Idaho in mid-June. The "only" thing I have invested in the trip so far is a really expensive flight. Also have a four-day in NJ and DE planned for Easter weekend.
Old 03-09-20, 06:31 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 169 Posts
So far the Erie canal is still on, and hopefully still doing Arcadia for a few days, won't be a tour just 3 nights camping and 4 days sightseeing by bike.
Old 03-09-20, 06:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 225 Posts
We've been stuck on the island for the past 2 years so nope ... our plans aren't changing. We remain stuck on the island.
Old 03-09-20, 07:29 AM
indyfabz

Heh. Not long after I posted my comment I got an email from Delta telling me, among other things, that they are taking extra precautions, like doing more disinfecting of planes and airports and providing passengers with hand sanitizer and amenities kits. The email states this:

"While we’re committed to providing you with information you need to make informed decisions around your travel, we also understand the need for flexibility based on your individual circumstances. To make sure you can travel with confidence, we’re offering flexible waivers, and we’ve also adjusted our network in response to guidance from the State Department."

"Adjusted our network" probably means cutting/eliminating flights to places where infection is prevalent.

My trip is 3 months out. For the last week I have been wondering what the travel climate will be like.
Old 03-09-20, 08:16 AM
Lanesplitter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm wondering if it might be smart to literally ride this thing out--go on a tour sooner rather than later, as a way of social distancing. In some regards, I seems like it would be easier to avoid being affected if you're out west or somewhere rural,only interacting with people when you need supplies, since it would only be brief interludes, it wouldn't be hard to be hyper vigilant. Luckily, its spring, so there's options to do a door-to-door bike tour, which is vital. Since I live in New England, I'm considering heading to the Adirondacks.
Old 03-09-20, 08:18 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
I work for a university. Spring break is next week. I'd say the odds are high that someone will bring back a bonus from their trip. We've already had the mandatory meeting about what our contingency plans are if the county health department orders us to close the campus.

My trip downstate is still on this weekend. My dear friend and I will do part of the Katy trail. Saint Charles to Marthasville, ~40 miles. We will stay in an AirBNB and then either ride back the next day to Saint Charles or hitch a ride with his wife. My dear friend is dealing with a recurrence of cancer, hence the contingency plan for day 2. The original plan had been to ride the entire Katy trail but the cancer recurrence scrapped those plans. The remainder of the week I head down to Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee for more bike riding.

I'm supposed to drive to Virginia in April over Easter break. Those plans will be reevaluated when it gets closer as the friend I'm visiting also works for a university. Biking and hiking are planned for that trip as it is gorgeous country out there.

My husband and I still plan to escape to sleepy Elkhart Lake, WI mid-May. I plan to ride up there from our house while he drives the SUV. Unless they close the border (IL/WI), I don't see that trip being cancelled.

Everything else I have planned for 2020 is much more fluid.

Last edited by GadgetGirlIL; 03-09-20 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 09:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 218 Posts
I am retired so my vacation plans and schedule can be quite fluid. And most of my touring is camping in campgrounds, not much indoor lodging so risk of exposure is lower..

Initial plan was to do Selkirk Loop with a friend that I have done several tours with. But he is recovering from ankle surgery and the trip has always been a maybe, thus months ago I was thinking as a plan B a solo trip in Europe, probably UK.

But in the past few days I have lost all interest in taking a long train ride or a flight to a foreign country where my medical insurance could be an issue. Thus, am now working on a plan C, ride my bike out the door of my condo (in Madison, WI), go about 100 miles east and then turn north. Set that up as a loop.

ADDENDUM ON Mar 18.

I think it unlikely I will to any kind of bike tour this year. I had been also planning a backpacking trip and a canoe trip. Those are still maybes.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-18-20 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 10:02 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Not changing any plans yet, still have approximately 7 or 8 modest tours planned for 2020, starting in less than two weeks, mostly Midwestern and more southern destinations.
Old 03-09-20, 10:09 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 95 Posts
We are scheduled to fly to Glasgow via London at the beginning of May. If things escalate in London and if British Airways cancel our flight then we will have to look into doing something domestic ... maybe northern Arizona/Utah ?

If things escalate even further with domestic flying affected then we will most likely do the Erie Canal and or try to drive to Canada and bike around the Madeleine Islands and Newfoundland
Old 03-09-20, 10:22 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 42 Posts
I am taking a wait and see approach to my summer trip. Something in my dreams has been a two week exploration of the island of Timor. For example, starting in Dili, Timor-Leste to Kupang, East Timor, Indonesia with some side trips along the way. Right now Indonesia/Australia look somewhat out of the way as far as Covid19 goes, but I will wait a bit before locking into trip like this. If I don't go to Timor, then I expect to spend two weeks touring closer to home. More likely waiting a little later when it is cooler in TX.
Old 03-09-20, 11:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 4248 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 788 Posts
No plans to change on my end, though this year will be like prior couple where its local/regional short trips. Mostly 2 and 3 day trips with a week long included.

No flying or international will be needed to ride my bike this year.
Old 03-09-20, 11:52 AM
RevJim

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Italy/Portugal Plans

We're booked for trips in Italy (Verona) at the end of April; and Portugal in May. We're paying attention to what's happening but not cancelling. At the moment the Verona plans are easiest to change and shift to another area in Europe if need be. The trips are booked and paid for; and relatively easy to shift if we need to.
Old 03-09-20, 01:47 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 109 Posts
I was thinking of changing my planned trip to Wuhan to somewhere else, but it looks like the virus is everywhere now. All kidding aside, I think the showers at some of the campgrounds I stay at far are scarier than any virus.
Old 03-09-20, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by alan s View Post
All kidding aside, I think the showers at some of the campgrounds I stay at far are scarier than any virus.
The city park in Grand Rapid, MN (home town of Judy Garland), had the worst I have ever seen. The walls had black mold growing all over them.
Old 03-09-20, 03:19 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores View Post
looks like...
That is good news. Things are looking up in China just in time for me to flee the USA, where some of our leadership is pretending things are just hunky-dory (good album btw). I'm thinking Thailand Cambodia Laos Vietnam.

Old 03-09-20, 03:23 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 6338 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 391 Posts
I also have a purchased flight ticket. To Indianapolis mid June. My plan was to ride to southeast Ohio, and then back, for a famiy reunion. If American Airlines offers me a refund, I will likely accept it. Otherwise I will wait and see. The plan was to return by train, in the US and then by bus across Mexico.

Old 03-09-20, 04:05 PM
Lanesplitter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
I also have a purchased flight ticket. To Indianapolis mid June. My plan was to ride to southeast Ohio, and then back, for a famiy reunion. If American Airlines offers me a refund, I will likely accept it. Otherwise I will wait and see. The plan was to return by train, in the US and then by bus across Mexico.
Good luck, hope you get to go. I don't know if you're familiar with the area, but the Hocking Hills are definately worth seeing and are most likely on the way where you're riding to.
Likes For Lanesplitter:
Old 03-09-20, 11:11 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 94 Posts
No changes, but if the country won't let me in, that will change my plans.
Old 03-10-20, 12:17 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
If you ever want to travel around the US and have time I highly recommend Amtrak. I had never rode a train before until last summer. I just went a short distance - about 300 miles or so. There is a route that goes along the Ohio River on the KY side. If you are riding to SE Ohio then you will need to cross over to the KY side. Looks like Maysville, South Shore, and Ashland are the towns that have stops. Those are not full train stations - probably not much more than a partially enclosed buss stop type structure.

I did ask about bikes when I rode the train (and actually the Cardinal is the line I rode, just not thru KY, but the same route/train). They have cars where more bulky luggage can go near the doors. Thats where they would put bikes and are happy to do so.

If you want to "pack" your bike it has to go in a "bike box" and those, as well as "checked baggage" service, are only offered at full train stations. The closest to southern Ohio is Cincinatti, OH. Then the next closest ones on that route are Indianapolis, IN and Norfolk, VA. Just "stops" between.

What you might be able to do is if you are transferring between trains at a major terminal like Chicago or Washington DC is pick up the train at what ever stop you can then ride to one of the big terminals and then check your bike and luggage. I am not sure that is worth it, but maybe the crew would make you do that? Not sure on that. Maybe someone else with more experience on traveling with bikes on Amtrak can chime in and let us know.

I guess the other side of it is where you will need to get OFF the train. If you are getting off at a "stop" and you have all your gear "checked" you're SOL. There is no "baggage service" at the "stops", only the major terminals.

In any event, riding trains is a cool experience. And... you get a TON more leg room than on an airplane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.