Eroica and Coronavirus

Old 03-19-20, 07:37 AM
IsleRide 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
Keeping meat frozen for decades is not responsible for any of the pandemics in the last 40 years though.
Not suggesting it does. It certainly relates to the questionably unsanitary food handling and prep (and products!) in that and other countries.
Old 03-19-20, 09:31 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide View Post
Not suggesting it does. It certainly relates to the questionably unsanitary food handling and prep (and products!) in that and other countries.
And we're back to square one where people believe that the food system in the USA is some sort of saint. This isn't an "other countries" problem, as already mentioned, the food supply in the USA and north america is absolutely filthy and has already been responsible for a pandemic.
Old 03-19-20, 10:56 AM
IsleRide 

And we're back to square one where people believe that the food system in the USA is some sort of saint. This isn't an "other countries" problem, as already mentioned, the food supply in the USA and north america is absolutely filthy and has already been responsible for a pandemic.
No where in like statements is anyone implying that the US is saintly. Well,............ we're not still washing our dishes in dirty rivers.

You're right though, this isn't an "other countries" problem. It's our problem brought on by another counrtry.
Old 03-19-20, 12:08 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by IsleRide View Post
You're right though, this isn't an "other countries" problem. It's our problem brought on by another counrtry.
Your belief that the USA couldn't possibly start a pandemic is cute.

Hey, I just finished a sweet bike build! But it seems nobody wants to post about that, oh the irony.
Old 03-19-20, 12:22 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66 View Post
Of the most recent ,Covid -19, SARS and Avian Flu all originated in China . All 3 are linked to transmission from animal to human by ingestion. Theres a constant that needs to be addressed or its likely to continue.
That will be hard to enforce. Apparently, taking dead, infected, exotic animals from disease labs, like the one in Wuhan, brings in a good profit at the local meat markets. Apparently, it's a problem at Wuhan and is believed this is how the Covid-19 pandemic got started. They are supposed to burn the animals after testing, but some employees can't resist netting a good profit on a sick bat.
Old 03-19-20, 12:52 PM
SurferRosa
Señor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
I'm thinking it might be time to look for the "Add to ignore list" button.
We should do this to the virus.
Old 03-19-20, 01:36 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 87 Centurion Ironman Expert, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
We should do this to the virus.
Unfortunately ignoring it will make neither an ignorable BF member or a virus actually go away.
Old 03-19-20, 01:57 PM
IsleRide 

Your belief that the USA couldn't possibly start a pandemic is cute.

Hey, I just finished a sweet bike build! But it seems nobody wants to post about that, oh the irony.
You're reading a little too deeply into my posts so I'm out on this thread and let's get back to the bike builds.

Just finished a drop bar MTB myself (moustache bar actually) Been watching yours too. Carry on.
Likes For IsleRide:
Old 03-19-20, 03:17 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 660 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
Do these viruses have any worth? Do they do any good? Or are they sorta like Hitler? Guess they're worse than Hitler... They're not even animal, are they? And they can go inanimate for days and then come back to life just to wreck havoc on normal life everywhere?

That's not right. This whole existence is flawed.
It depends on what level you look at it.

Basically, it looks to be nature's standard response to overpopulation. Be it rabbits or humanoids.

Not pretty, but effective.

Things are looking up from the planet's point of view.
Old 03-19-20, 05:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 742 Posts
I feel like if you are going to get sick on an Eroica ride it should be a period correct virus. It must be pre-1987 with toe clips and straps
Old 03-19-20, 06:07 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1977 Windsor Profesional,1979 Mondia Special, Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 ,Basso Gap, 1982 Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, LOOK 486,Vitus 979 KAS.Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 95 Posts
Your timeline is wrong though, and 2 of the last 3 pandemics did not come from China the most recent 3 pandemics are, bird flu (China) 2013, MERS 2012 (Saudi Arabia), and swine flu was 2009 (North America).

I know you didn't say that Swine flu originated in China, you said that all the recent pandemics originated in China, so I brought up Swine Flu as proof that all the modern pandemics did not come from China, 2 of the last 3 did not come from China.
I can state the sky is Blue and You would want to dispute that Fact.

Either way,,Once again You have obviously MisRead my Statement , so I will ONCE AGAIN Quote myself so You can stop arguing,,

""Of the most recent ,Covid -19, SARS and Avian Flu all originated in China . "" .

Read it sloooowly so that some of it might sink in this time.
Old 03-19-20, 06:15 PM
xiaoman1 
Awaiting Parole

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 511 Posts
This is not meant for any member in particular and consider it a rant if you prefer:

Reading this thread made me realized just how "privileged" most of us are in lamenting a ride that costs quite a few of us many dollars to fly into SoCal for a few days ride in period correct gear when there are so many of our fellow men/women that may oftentimes make less in a few weeks than the cost of the trip to EROCIA. Right now many are in danger of losing their livelihoods and possibly their homes.
Eroica is last on my list of things to focus on at this minute. I don't care where it originated, but I would like us to find the what and why as well as the cure for the crisis that many CV'ers and others young and old all across the world find themselves in...I trust the information from the CDC and Mayo not Wikipedia.
I agree that we will all make choices and EROCIA is part of our hobby, but just as steel is real so is the virus....
Stay Safe, Ride-on
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 03-19-20 at 06:23 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 03-19-20, 06:22 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Manny66 View Post
Either way,,Once again You have obviously MisRead my Statement , so I will ONCE AGAIN Quote myself so You can stop arguing,,

""Of the most recent ,Covid -19, SARS and Avian Flu all originated in China . "" .

Read it sloooowly so that some of it might sink in this time.
Here is a timeline of modern pandemics,

Stop being pedantic with me.
Old 03-19-20, 06:44 PM
cb400bill
High Derolic Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 Carbon, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, Trek 710

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked 2,421 Times in 1,497 Posts
This thread has strayed way, way, way off of topic and it is time to close it.
Likes For cb400bill: