Old 03-09-20, 08:32 PM
gugie 
Dilberteur at large

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 988 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3172 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 721 Posts
Im holding out to decide, but that point is coming soon.
Old 03-09-20, 09:51 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 153 Posts
Just looking at the number of cancellations of major events (conferences, athletic events, concerts, etc) I'm pretty much assuming that an event organized by Italians (whose entire country is on lockdown) is going to get cancelled. Nevertheless, I am hopeful that our Tour d'Eroica ride from SF to Cambria will still be on. Seems like a fairly safe endeavor for a small cadre of participants to be on the road for a few days. I'll probably be in Cambria for some relaxation no matter what. I don't think my airbnb is cancellable at this point and it's only a few hour drive from my house in the SF bay area. Unfortunately, many of you are not so lucky.
Old 03-09-20, 11:05 PM
Brad L

Bikes: 1969 Colnago Super, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1971-72 Legnano, 1983 Gitane Interclub, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2001 Colnago Dream B-Stay, 2007 Trek 1000 SL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 64 Posts
I'm definitely on the fence about this. It's not being at the event that worries me, it's getting there. I'm a transplant recipient, and sitting on a plane with 300 other travelers from around the world just doesn't add up at this point. If I do cancel, or it's canceled for me, I'm hoping I can recoup most of the cost of my non-refundable airline tickets. Because of my recent health issues, this was the only time I've ever paid for the travel insurance when I bought the airline tickets back in early January. Maybe I'll luck out.

I'm feeling a bit cheated as well. This will be (would have been) my first Eroica event, and, though I haven't invested a lot of money at this point, I've certainly put in a lot of time in training for the event. I know there's always next year, but I can never assume what my health will be. I signed up as a way to celebrate kicking cancer's ass for the third time. I don't know if or when there might be a fourth time.
Likes For Brad L:
Old 03-09-20, 11:09 PM
tricky

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L View Post
I'm definitely on the fence about this. It's not being at the event that worries me, it's getting there. I'm a transplant recipient, and sitting on a plane with 300 other travelers from around the world just doesn't add up at this point. If I do cancel, or it's canceled for me, I'm hoping I can recoup most of the cost of my non-refundable airline tickets. Because of my recent health issues, this was the only time I've ever paid for the travel insurance when I bought the airline tickets back in early January. Maybe I'll luck out.

I'm feeling a bit cheated as well. This will be (would have been) my first Eroica event, and, though I haven't invested a lot of money at this point, I've certainly put in a lot of time in training for the event. I know there's always next year, but I can never assume what my health will be. I signed up as a way to celebrate kicking cancer's ass for the third time. I don't know if or when there might be a fourth time.
That's bad ass that you fought that beast and survived. Doing that and then training up for this ride are major achievements. I hope you get to celebrate some way irregardless of this virus bull****.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-10-20 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Do not change spelling of words to bypass the forum censor
Old 03-09-20, 11:23 PM
Brad L

Bikes: 1969 Colnago Super, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1971-72 Legnano, 1983 Gitane Interclub, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2001 Colnago Dream B-Stay, 2007 Trek 1000 SL

Originally Posted by tricky View Post
That's bad ass that you fought that beast and survived. Doing that and then training up for this ride are major achievements. I hope you get to celebrate some way irregardless of this virus bull****.
Thanks, tricky. My ultimate goal is Eroica Gaiole, but I guess that's off for the foreseeable future as well.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-10-20 at 07:59 AM. Reason: clean up
Likes For Brad L:
Old 03-09-20, 11:28 PM
tricky

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 146 Posts
Thank, tricky. My ultimate goal is Eroica Gaiole, but I guess that's off for the foreseeable future as well.
Good luck! This whole thing has turned my neck of the woods (Seattle) upside-down. I was already working from home after my office was closed indefinitely and, this might be a little melodramatic, but I am wondering if I might need to self-quarantine for a bit after a friend I spent a while with at the bar on Saturday came down with corona virus-like symptoms today.

Oh, and I just noticed you live in Texas. Training down there is even more impressive! You get heat, winds, and humidity!
Likes For tricky:
Old 03-09-20, 11:33 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1977 Windsor Profesional,1979 Mondia Special, Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 ,Basso Gap, 1982 Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, LOOK 486,Vitus 979 KAS.Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 94 Posts
Im still going. Ive drunk enough Coronas in my time that Im sure I already built up a serious tolerance to it.

Seriously though, Im still going. I understand the paranoia by some, but the fatality numbers are too low to worry about it, You're more likely to get hit by a bolt of lightning .
Likes For Manny66:
Old 03-09-20, 11:40 PM
Brad L

Originally Posted by Manny66 View Post
You're more likely to get hit by a bolt of lightning .
Unfortunately, my immunosuppressants make me a lightning rod.
Old 03-09-20, 11:43 PM
Brad L

Oh, and I just noticed you live in Texas. Training down there is even more impressive! You get heat, winds, and humidity!
I'll ride in the heat any day over the cold, damp, windy winters we have. I hate riding in the cold, but I forced myself to do so this winter so I'd be in shape for Eroica. And now...
Old 03-10-20, 12:21 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 273 Posts
Good luck! This whole thing has turned my neck of the woods (Seattle) upside-down. I was already working from home after my office was closed indefinitely and, this might be a little melodramatic, but I am wondering if I might need to self-quarantine for a bit after a friend I spent a while with at the bar on Saturday came down with corona virus-like symptoms today.
I'm scheduled for surgery in three days at a hospital not far from the senior home where all those old folks are dying of Covid-19, just north of Seattle. If you guys never hear from me again, I hearby name @Wildwood and @northbend co-executors of my bicycle estate.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Trek 400 ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●
Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 03-10-20, 12:52 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 55 Posts

I know its nothing like Eroica but if you are needing a ride this year with some friends and things are under control by then come up to Wichita Falls and do the Hotter 'N Hell. Several Forum members are planning on being there and we will be riding steel bikes. The other 10.000 or so won't be.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 03-10-20, 01:10 AM
SurferRosa
Seor Member

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
I'm scheduled for surgery in three days at a hospital not far from the senior home where all those old folks are dying of Covid-19, just north of Seattle. If you guys never hear from me again, I hearby name Wildwood and northbend co-executors of my bicycle estate.
Meh. They're too big for me anyway.

I assume it's an ear thing. Be good and let us know...
Old 03-10-20, 02:03 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988 View Post
I'm pretty sure we're discussing Eroica California.
I spoke / communicated with Kaori Peters about a week ago expressing my professional (retired Family doctor) and personal concerns for any of the Italian organizers like founder Giancarlo Brocchi and other Italian or European riders flying in for Eroica, suggesting it would be a risk for them as well as Eroica itself and the town of Cambria with its mostly older population. my understanding is another part time organizer from Italy has already been here for at least a month so they probably got out in time. now all of Italy is locked down and travel internationally restricted in and out of Italy so Italian attendees may not be able to come. Kaori told me that the organizers continue to monitor local and international events and will inform participants of any news or changes that would affect the event.

my newer concerns is incoming Eroica California attendees from hotspot areas like Seattle or NorCal / Santa Clara County. Community spread is an unseen and silent issue which is hard to detect and even harder to stop. I am 64, my wife 65, we have a handicapped daughter who would be with us who has had major viral respiratory illness in the past including H1N1 and Influenza A which required hospitalization, so the risks are very real to us. I recently had a back injury which has knocked me out of 5 weeks of training so my goal of tackling the 72 mile Santa Lucia route again are gone, and even riding the short 35 mile route is not assumed or assured. Now with these potential threats, cancellation and not going becomes a potential outcome, despite losing my entire 1 weeks house rental payment on the best accessible property I stayed at last year. Its only $$$$ compared to the alternatives. So Im taking it day by day and will literally assess right to the week of.

i truly want to be there, I dont mind forfeiting the entry and dinner fee (or maybe be able to use for next year) and will provide sponsorship for tents as needed if they do have the event, but my familys health and well being must take precedence if there is a real risk. YMMV.

Originally Posted by davester View Post
Just looking at the number of cancellations of major events (conferences, athletic events, concerts, etc) I'm pretty much assuming that an event organized by Italians (whose entire country is on lockdown) is going to get cancelled. Nevertheless, I am hopeful that our Tour d'Eroica ride from SF to Cambria will still be on. Seems like a fairly safe endeavor for a small cadre of participants to be on the road for a few days. I'll probably be in Cambria for some relaxation no matter what. I don't think my airbnb is cancellable at this point and it's only a few hour drive from my house in the SF bay area. Unfortunately, many of you are not so lucky.
you guys might consider rerouting around Santa Clara County as that area has been problematic so far. Maybe stick to the coastal route where sea breezes may help keep you safe although slow you down.
Old 03-10-20, 04:36 AM
daviddavieboy 

Bikes: Yeah, I have some.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 46 Posts
Im still going. Ive drunk enough Coronas in my time that Im sure I already built up a serious tolerance to it.
Seriously though, Im still going. I understand the paranoia by some, but the fatality numbers are too low to worry about it, You're more likely to get hit by a bolt of lightning .
Making light of people dying is a poor joke AT BEST and when you walk past a Van de Graaff generator you WILL likely be struck be lightning. Hopefully you will not be the 1 in 25. It's not about you getting sick it's about the others you infect.

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 03-10-20 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 05:19 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 123 Posts
...I understand the paranoia by some, but the fatality numbers are too low to worry about it, You're more likely to get hit by a bolt of lightning .
Paranoia is a symptom of mental illness. Reasoned concern for the health of others is not.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 03-10-20, 06:00 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I was in St. Louis over rhe weekend. Not sure how "stay home" can be misinterpreted. Perhaps people whose kids attend exclusive private schools don't have to understand. I mean, how could Buffy possibly miss the dance?

Heck, I'm nervous after being at Helen Fitzgerald's for St. Baldrick's.
I've been to Helen's several times. Really good Irish stew. We had really nice weather this past weekend. Hope you enjoyed your trip!
Old 03-10-20, 06:46 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I was in St. Louis over rhe weekend. Not sure how "stay home" can be misinterpreted. Perhaps people whose kids attend exclusive private schools don't have to understand. I mean, how could Buffy possibly miss the dance?

Heck, I'm nervous after being at Helen Fitzgerald's for St. Baldrick's.
People are selfish. Like the people who refuse to vaccinate their kids.
Old 03-10-20, 07:42 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 00 Klein Attitude Comp MTB, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
The seasonal flu is uncontained. That ship has sailed. If there were something that could be done to stop it, wed do that. COVID-19 isnt yet uncontained in the same way. If it becomes part of our daily existence like the common cold or the flu, it will probably be worse. It seems unlikely at this point that well be able to contain it, but anything we can do to slow it down buys time for researchers to work on a vaccine. Thats probably the goal at this point.
Agree, the goal is to buy more time and slow down the infection rate.
Sad truth is that most of us in urban areas will be fighting this virus.
Old 03-10-20, 08:09 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 87 Centurion Ironman Expert, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 117 Posts
Agreed, it is not about whether you get sick, nor even about whether someone you know gets sick from you. It's about the people they know and the people they know and the people they know, etc.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 03-10-20, 09:16 AM
drpaddle
Rolling Vintage Only

Bikes: About two dozen road, mountain, and tandem from 1940s to 1981.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I certainly understand the concerns of those that were planning to fly to Eroica California. Airplanes are great at spreading respiratory illnesses because of the tightly packed people and the recirculating ventilation. And, of course, the nasty finger smudges on every available surface.

Once at Eroica, though, I doubt that there is much risk of getting or spreading infection. Like everything in life, probability should be considered. First, with only a few hundred folks in attendance, the likelihood of having a vector among them is low. Then, we will only be in close proximity with any quantity of folks at the Saturday night dinner, and then with a small subset of participants. At other times, we will only be in the company of a handful of people with fresh air circulating in the substantial spaces between us. I'm driving up from San Diego and camping at the State Beach, so my transportation and lodging are minimal risk.

The way I figure it, a much greater real risk to my health is climbing Cypress Mountain on a 60-year-old bike...
Old 03-10-20, 10:05 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1977 Windsor Profesional,1979 Mondia Special, Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 ,Basso Gap, 1982 Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, LOOK 486,Vitus 979 KAS.Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy View Post
Making light of people dying is a poor joke AT BEST and when you walk past a Van de Graaff generator you WILL likely be struck be lightning. Hopefully you will not be the 1 in 25. It's not about you getting sick it's about the others you infect.
Feel free to quote me where I made light of PEOPLE dying....I made light of MYSELF dying.

Hate to break it to you, but We are All going into a wooden box someday.We are All going to die.Thats reality.

Unless youre going to go around French kissing and licking everybodys face that you meet, you shouldnt have to much to worry about.You can choose to hide in your house or not,Thats up to you, But like I already stated, Im going.
Old 03-10-20, 10:15 AM
daviddavieboy 

Bikes: Yeah, I have some.

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 46 Posts
Feel free to quote me where I made light of PEOPLE dying....I made light of MYSELF dying.

Hate to break it to you, but We are All going into a wooden box someday.We are All going to die.Thats reality.

Unless youre going to go around French kissing and licking everybodys face that you meet, you shouldnt have to much to worry about.You can choose to hide in your house or not,Thats up to you, But like I already stated, Im going.
Thanks for clarifying you are not people and thank you for proving you have no idea how this thing is transmitted. For me I am still undecided not for my sake but for people I love.
Old 03-10-20, 10:27 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
The way I figure it, a much greater real risk to my health is climbing Cypress Mountain on a 60-year-old bike...
... and descending Cypress Mountain on a 60-year-old bike!
Likes For davester:
Old 03-10-20, 10:43 AM
Manny66 

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy View Post
Thanks for clarifying you are not people and thank you for proving you have no idea how this thing is transmitted. For me I am still undecided not for my sake but for people I love.

I work Heavy Construction, EVERY day I go to work theres a good chance I will be seriously injured, maimed for life or possibly killed. Thats My reality. The Corona virus or any other virus will not deter me from going on about my daily life. Ive got other more serious things to worry about like coming home to my family everyday.

If You choose to live in fear thats your business. But dont talk down to me a in a condescending manner because I dont have the same views as yourself.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 03-10-20, 10:45 AM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by davester View Post
... and descending Cypress Mountain on a 60-year-old bike!
Or climbing Cypress Mountain with a 64 year old body.

I'll be driving over from central California and I'm not attending the Saturday dinner, so I figure my risk is about the same as staying home and doing my Saturday group ride, going to the supermarket and church. If the ride is cancelled my wife and I will have a nice weekend in Cambria.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.