Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus
View Poll Results: How concerned are you about Covid-19?
No worries - it is all media hype
10.58%
Passively watching it because it's in the headlines
17.31%
Actively watching it with focused interest
29.81%
Taking steps to assure my family and I are protected
38.46%
Dead certain it will get me as soon as it hits my county or town
3.85%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-20, 05:45 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: 4 good ones, 1 junker

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

It's dominating the news. Part of me says that at my age (65 later this month) I should be concerned. Another part of me thinks the panic is unjustified.

What say ye?

Via edit: Well shucks - working on the laptop and left off the "9." Understand the topic to be "covid-19"

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...

Last edited by BookFinder; 03-09-20 at 05:51 PM. Reason: my bifocals need replacing...
Old 03-09-20, 05:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by BookFinder View Post
It's dominating the news. Part of my says that at my age (64 later this month) I should be concerned. Another part of me thinks the panic is unjustified.

What say ye?
I'm not so concerned for myself (age 60) - as much as for the problems with hospitals being overwhelmed and such and all the civilization problems that go along with the epidemic.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-09-20, 06:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 11763 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 827 Posts
I'm not sure we're to the point where "Panic" is justified.

However, you and many readers on this board are now getting into the age group where mortality starts going up. Now, if you are a fit cyclist, you may well be able to weather the storm, but you could have family members who couldn't. I know my mother, and many of her neighbors are 25 years older than me, and I worry about them.

I managed to get (viral) pneumonia a couple of years ago. For some reason it has taken absolutely forever to clear from the system. I think my O2 Sats fell down to the mid 70's, and my HR didn't drop below 100 BPM for a couple of weeks. It wasn't a fun period of life. It could well have killed me if I hadn't been reasonably fit going into the ordeal.

Heck if I know what "underlying conditions" mean, but I'd prefer not get Coronavirus, and try my luck again.

We have a serious problem in the USA (and probably similar to what is happening in Europe), where the CDC decided that they only needed to monitor those they deemed to have "close contacts", and sent quite a few home for "home quarantine". At one time, they may well have had 10,000 people under surveillance, but had only administered < 500 coronavirus tests. All the while recognising that there were quite a few cases of only mild illness, or even asymptomatic illness that could spread the disease. There was no community monitoring. So, they were administering thousands of influenza tests, many coming back negative, but no coronavirus tests.

There are indications that the current Washington outbreak was directly connected to a patient that was quarantined over a month ago. And, somehow the virus was spreading in the community despite the quarantine, with no additional surveillance. And, now they've had 17 deaths in a single nursing home. Now, I realize that nursing homes are a unique environment of people living there for their final months/years. But... still... 17 deaths and counting?

It is impossible to tell if the current 600 cases across the USA are accurate, or if those are just the tip of the iceberg. I'd expect the numbers to be at least 10x that, so perhaps 6,000 to 10,000 cases nationwide, and we've likely already had quite a few undiagnosed deaths.

On the Grand Princess, it was likely a US Citizen who was "Patient Zero", and has infected dozens of Americans during the first cruise, and an unknown number for the second cruise.

Still out of > 300 million in the USA, that is just a drop in the bucket.

I'm hoping we are hitting the end of the flu season now, and the coronavirus spread will wane, but it could well sweep across the USA this fall, with nothing to stop it if they don't come up with a good vaccine. And, while it may wane here in the north, it could wreck havoc in the south.

So... not at a panic, but at least annoyed.
Old 03-09-20, 06:23 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 227 Posts
I'm relatively healthy for my age (65). I take precautions but I'm still going to the gym and would not have a problem going out to dinner, a movie, etc. I guess I'm just a fatalist. If I get it, I get it. I'm also trying not to be too cavalier about it. I don't want my wife to put "I told you so" on my tombstone.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 03-09-20, 06:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
7-speed cultist

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2785 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 499 Posts
I voted "Dead certain" that I will get it, but I'm not worried...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 03-09-20, 06:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 803 Posts
Going to KISS concert next Saturday in Lafayette Louisiana so I’m watching closely....
Old 03-09-20, 06:40 PM
BenzFanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I think I'm about 100x more likely to die in my commute to work in the next few weeks. But I am sitting on a high horse with probably 6 months worth of TP for myself.
Likes For BenzFanatic:
Old 03-09-20, 06:49 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by BenzFanatic View Post
But I am sitting on a high horse with probably 6 months worth of TP for myself.
I've changed my personal hygiene to reduce my use of TP. Ever since one of the environmental groups made a big campaign confounding "Virgin Wood" and "Virgin Forests". Nonetheless, I decided to minimize the TP that I flushed.

So I haven't bought any new TP for years.

I did buy some extra groceries, but unfortunately find myself eating them.
Old 03-09-20, 06:53 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Many more people dying from the flu than this beer virus

I think so far 17 women that have the corona virus have had healthy babies.

this is mostly a big nothing burger
Old 03-09-20, 07:08 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
Many more people dying from the flu than this beer virus

I think so far 17 women that have the corona virus have had healthy babies.

this is mostly a big nothing burger
We know the numbers in Wuhan/Hubei have multiplied a lot, and absolutely overwhelmed the medical system there. And China has used drastic measures to control the spread of the virus in the country.

Here is a video posted by another member about exponential growth.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I don't believe that we only have 600 cases in the USA at this moment. The real number, however, is difficult to ascertain without a lot more tests. But, the point of the exponential growth is that even 600 cases can rapidly be > than a million in the blink of an eye.

Hopefully summer will give us a reprieve, but if the a vaccine isn't developed, the chances are almost certain that the virus will be back this fall, and will be difficult to stop.

And, unfortunately, the vaccine isn't predicted until hopefully the 2021/2022 flu season, and thus next fall/winter could be rough.
Old 03-09-20, 07:35 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
I've had the common cold (another coronavirus) but don't remember ever having the seasonal flu (yet another coronavirus). I have found that my immune system works great when I'm getting lots of regular exercise and I've been getting lots of regular exercise for years (I should caveat that my immune system goes down the toilet if I overdo the exercise). I'm sure it will suck if I somehow end up with this new one but I don't expect to.
Old 03-09-20, 07:49 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 698 Posts
I've been watching it passively mostly because you can't avoid the news of it. This website is interesting if only for the graphics of it all. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

My biggest worry is what the economy will do, market downturns, price of oil dropping, etc. This city's business owners and managers start tightening up the budgets when stuff like this happens. Which means job cuts or pay cuts. My pay goes up and down with my customer's willingness to part with their money. My last pay cut was in 2012 and I get the feeling if the market tanks too much, I'll be getting another pay cut. My sales dollars have been flat, while my service dollars have been high, but sales is what makes the bosses and our vendors happy.

As far as my family or myself getting sick from Covid 19, we will go to the local clinic and pay cash for diagnosis and prescriptions. We haven't had health insurance since November 2016, so it is what it is.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-09-20, 08:09 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 57 Posts
i am more worried about a large scale quarantine than anything else.

you see in Wuhan, millions of citizens became prisoners in their own homes for 2 months, because the infection is out of control and hospital are overwhelmed. millions trapped, cant get food or emergency services, and starving or living on ramen noodles for weeks.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-09-20 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-09-20, 08:43 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 135 Posts
I am self quarantined right now.

I have had no exposure to this virus (that I know of), but caught a nasty head cold. And I travel for business nowadays. I figure folks would freak if I show up with sniffles-n-coughs either at the airport or at the client's office. So I don't. I'll take my temp on Friday and cancel next week's travel if necessary.
Old 03-09-20, 09:08 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Paramount, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 262 Posts
I'm more worried about the response from MP and the WH than the virus itself ! Viruses come and go and even Ebola runs through stages of remittance before re-surging. But this one is one that has grown exponentially because of airbourne transmission. How do we combat that? not so much retorical question but a reality about air- bourne virus's. Smiles, MH
Old 03-09-20, 10:02 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: 1989 Club Fuji, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1997 Gary Fisher Big Sur, 2001 GT i-drive Race, Iro Mark V, a bunch more

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 102 Posts
I’m actually hoping that you guys can help me figure out how concerned I should be.
It’s hard to reconcile what is in the news with what I am seeing on the street. I was at the mall today and it was packed to the gills.
Was at Costco, Jetro and Shop-rite yesterday. Also packed.
No decline in pedestrian or street traffic that I can detect. Subways and buses are as crowded as ever.
I live in NYC btw. If the virus gets out into the open here, it’s going to spread like wildfire.
Old 03-09-20, 10:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3711 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 864 Posts
Not too worried. I'm paying attention only to science based reports, not politicians or headlines. My Facebook contacts are the worst. They all have some agenda, driven by politics, emotion or personal finances based on their investments. And they're all blaming "the media" for their own choices to indulge in hysteria. The "media" ain't the problem. There's plenty of factual info available. People see what they want to see.

Available data so far indicates it's highly contagious, compared with the "common cold" caused by other coronaviruses, but seems dangerous mainly to folks around age 70 and older. IOW, pretty much like any respiratory illness.

At 62 I'm not quite in the danger range and while I've had chronic allergies and asthma, and many childhood bouts with pneumonia, I've been remarkably free of problems due to colds and flu as an adult. I get my flu shots, pneumonia shot every few years, take reasonable precautions, try to eat well, avoid stress and get enough rest.
Old 03-09-20, 10:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 12449 Post(s)
Liked 3,820 Times in 2,136 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I've changed my personal hygiene to reduce my use of TP. Ever since one of the environmental groups made a big campaign confounding "Virgin Wood" and "Virgin Forests". Nonetheless, I decided to minimize the TP that I flushed.

So I haven't bought any new TP for years.

I did buy some extra groceries, but unfortunately find myself eating them.
​​​​​​I had never heard of anyone buying used toilet paper before!
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-09-20, 10:52 PM
CliffordK

I think the confusion with the environmental group was that TP can be made out of say new wood vs recycled newspapers (softened). But, for whatever reason the US TP industry almost exclusively uses new wood to make it. Some of it may be old growth, but most would be second growth, or perhaps plantation wood, but not much recycled paper products.

However, I do use some TP, but a roll can last me a very long time. I can't remember the last time I've hung a new roll... 5+ years ago?
Old 03-10-20, 12:00 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3247 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 57 Posts
u can wash yur butt after number 2 like Europeans, and need very small amount of tp.
Old 03-10-20, 01:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 3122 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 225 Posts
I figure there's about a 90% chance I'll get it.

But I don't smoke so that's something in my favour.
Old 03-10-20, 04:27 AM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4600 Post(s)
Liked 1,339 Times in 840 Posts
There's bones_mcbones who has some museum of the stuff or something.
Old 03-10-20, 04:32 AM
ahsposo 
Turgid Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4600 Post(s)
Liked 1,339 Times in 840 Posts
Personally I am not at all worried about covid-1, it's pretty old news. Covid-19 is the latest. I just keep a bottle of Tito's vodka going. You know, for "hand sanitation" purposes.
Old 03-10-20, 04:55 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts
I'm most worried about the impact it will have on the economy. I work for a university and the contingency planning is in full swing. Next week is spring break and I'm betting someone will bring back a bonus from their travels.
Old 03-10-20, 05:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11720 Post(s)
Liked 3,557 Times in 1,893 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Personally I am not at all worried about covid-1, it's pretty old news. Covid-19 is the latest. I just keep a bottle of Tito's vodka going. You know, for "hand sanitation" purposes.
R.I.P.

https://www.wjbf.com/top-stories/don...and-sanitizer/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.