Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Riding in a Pandemic

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Riding in a Pandemic

 
Old 04-25-20, 08:10 PM
  #401  
sjanzeir
Keeling over.
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 701

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 106 Posts
Lockdown partially lifted.

The government announced just now that the lockdown will be partially lifted across the Kingdom as of 9:00 AM local time from Sunday through May 13th, except for a few severely affected neighborhoods in Makkah. What this means is that we can go out and move more freely outside of our neighborhoods between 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM, but that's still daytime in Ramadan, so doing any riding beyond a short errand or two while fasting during the day in 35C+ weather isn't really a good idea.
sjanzeir is offline  
Old 04-26-20, 09:28 AM
  #402  
dstrong 
Senior Member
 
dstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Awesome, Austin, TX
Posts: 4,204

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I've ridden the last few weeks and have enjoyed the relatively open roads. Yesterday however, I decided to ride towards downtown in the middle of the day and experienced more traffic than I have over the past month...almost "normal" it seemed.

I rode towards the Capitol and instead of taking a lap around the building like normal, I avoided it do to the hundreds of protesters out front, without masks and all grouped together. No thank you. I think rode up to the UT Tower and saw several students in their caps and gowns having their pictures taken in front of various statues and the towers.

I rode through Zilker park, which was packed with cars but out on the great lawn, people were well distanced in small groups.

I continue to believe that the chances of me picking up the virus on a ride like this is infinitesimal. I doubt believe I'll ride through a cloud of it or that it will waft up from my wheel as I ride through some sort of patch. I maintain significant distance between me and other walkers, riders, runners and shower thoroughly as soon as I get home. I do have concerns about falling and need hospitalization, which usually keeps me closer to home than yesterday's ride...but it was such a gorgeous day and with the wind from the North, I wanted to ride into it first so I'd have a easier ride back home...so downtown and beyond it was.
__________________

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

dstrong is offline  
Likes For dstrong:
Old 04-26-20, 10:17 AM
  #403  
sjanzeir
Keeling over.
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 701

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 106 Posts
I ran some errands today.

So, today felt like a good day to stock up on some food and supplies, so I broke out The Truck and headed out to the nearby grocery store and picked up all kinds of stuff. My wife's favorite yogurt had run out, so I dropped the stuff - and the trike - off at home and picked up the Dahon to search other shops in the district. I eventually made it to a supermarket on the other side of the district and found what I needed there.

On the way back I figured, what the heck? I might as well pick up some plumbing supplies to do a couple of repairs around the house that I've been meaning to do for a while now.

It wasn't particularly hot around north Jeddah today - just nice and balmy. I didn't feel any more thirsty than I normally would on a regular day, even though it's Ramadan and we're fasting. It was a welcome change of daily routine.

Amid all the fried nerves and the occasional situation that may or may not have developed into a fistfight at one of the shops I visited (I reckoned it a good idea to get out of there,) I met a Japanese gentleman who was riding around on a Jeep-branded folder:




It was a pleasant afternoon.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 05-05-20 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Typos
sjanzeir is offline  
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 04-28-20, 12:27 PM
  #404  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,315

Bikes: 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 303 Posts
So, how worried should you be that any time you go outside, youíll contract coronavirus from a fellow pedestrian, runner, or cyclist who happens to exhale as they pass by?

The answer is, you probablydonít need to freak out about it. As long as youíre maintaining at least 6 feet of distance from other people and youíre not in a high-risk group, youíre engaged in a very low-risk activity, particularly if you and others are wearing masks.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...nfectious-dose
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 04-29-20, 05:23 AM
  #405  
Noonievut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I follow the Zwiftcast as I use Zwift throughout the winter. I realize the host is in Spain and that cycling is/was banned there for a period of time. Thank god for Zwift in such a situation. I get the impression though that others are riding indoors more, even though cycling isnít banned where they live. And I just donít get it. I feel guilty saying this, but this is a boom for outdoor cycling. Iíve been riding solo for about five weeks as a friend and I put off our riding together for the time being. As a solo rider in a small city (50,000) surrounded by rural areas, Iíve never had such mint riding conditions. Fewer cars means I can ride almost anytime. Working from home gives me more riding windows. And I canít think of a lower Covid19-risk activity then riding a bike solo, on quiet roads.
Noonievut is offline  
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 04-29-20, 10:21 AM
  #406  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
Thread Starter
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut View Post
I follow the Zwiftcast as I use Zwift throughout the winter. I realize the host is in Spain and that cycling is/was banned there for a period of time. Thank god for Zwift in such a situation. I get the impression though that others are riding indoors more, even though cycling isnít banned where they live. And I just donít get it. I feel guilty saying this, but this is a boom for outdoor cycling. Iíve been riding solo for about five weeks as a friend and I put off our riding together for the time being. As a solo rider in a small city (50,000) surrounded by rural areas, Iíve never had such mint riding conditions. Fewer cars means I can ride almost anytime. Working from home gives me more riding windows. And I canít think of a lower Covid19-risk activity then riding a bike solo, on quiet roads.

I'm really not going to fault people for wanting to stay inside, especially when I don't know their environment, but my situation is pretty much the same as yours, and I agree with your calculations of safety.

It might be different if I were riding in a big crowded city.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 04-29-20, 10:30 AM
  #407  
twowheelies
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: New York City
Posts: 58

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Never been a better time to bike in NYC... except for the speed demons that want to run you off the road! I mean damn, i only want one lane...

But I digress. The empty streets are a pleasure to ride on, and the stillness is beautiful, if somewhat eerie.
twowheelies is offline  
Old 04-29-20, 10:49 AM
  #408  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
Thread Starter
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by twowheelies View Post
Never been a better time to bike in NYC... except for the speed demons that want to run you off the road! I mean damn, i only want one lane...

But I digress. The empty streets are a pleasure to ride on, and the stillness is beautiful, if somewhat eerie.

Statistics seem to agree to you--crashes are way down this year after the stay at home went into effect:
https://trafficstat.nypdonline.org/2...e7c75c/view/89
livedarklions is offline  
Old 04-29-20, 11:10 AM
  #409  
twowheelies
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: New York City
Posts: 58

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Statistics seem to agree to you--crashes are way down this year after the stay at home went into effect:

oh thats awesome, thanks for sharing. i'd never seen that site before.
twowheelies is offline  
Old 04-30-20, 10:02 PM
  #410  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,351

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3326 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 214 Posts
There is a lot of freeway riding. I am getting more flats - just one. My son got a flat too within 5 min of mine.
He is doing many freeway miles. Wife and I just use the freeway to get to the next non-freeway spot.

Last edited by Doge; 05-01-20 at 12:01 AM.
Doge is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 01:16 AM
  #411  
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,216

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
There is a lot of freeway riding. I am getting more flats - just one. My son got a flat too within 5 min of mine.
He is doing many freeway miles. Wife and I just use the freeway to get to the next non-freeway spot.
I have noticed that when we ride on roads closed to motor vehicles, we get more flats. Iíve always chalked that up to the notion that auto tires basically sweep the road of smaller debris such as goatheads and the like.
__________________
Proud parent of a happy inner child ...

Biker395 is offline  
Likes For Biker395:
Old 05-01-20, 08:57 AM
  #412  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
Thread Starter
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
I have noticed that when we ride on roads closed to motor vehicles, we get more flats. Iíve always chalked that up to the notion that auto tires basically sweep the road of smaller debris such as goatheads and the like.

I get a very thin wire puncturing my tire every so often. I understand this is probably from burst car and truck tires. Real pain in the butt because it's hard to find them in the tire when changing tubes.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-01-20, 09:49 AM
  #413  
twowheelies
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: New York City
Posts: 58

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Had a beautiful ride Tuesday in NYC with a friend... incredibly gorgeous day, weather wise. Did about 40 miles, down from the bronx, through manhattan and into brooklyn, where we had a social-distanced visit with a couple friends. Then a takeout lunch and back home.

Only bummer was a pinch flat from a deep pothole i didn't see on the 79th street boat basin circle... road is a mess there. Highlight was riding up a completely empty Madison ave at rush hour. We're going to look back at this time with amazement some day...
twowheelies is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 10:28 AM
  #414  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,351

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3326 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 214 Posts
I agree with you. Empty roads can also become hang outs for bottle smashing miscreants. I notice a glass increase,. There is not a lot of glass on the side of the freeway, more industrial stuff that got knocked to the side.
Doge is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 10:35 AM
  #415  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,351

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3326 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 214 Posts
Then the electric bike trend is problem stage in our area. Many do not comply with the bicycle requirements laws and still use bike lanes. With the beach access being closed, as well as bike paths it is hugely crowded (5X) on roads.
Doge is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 10:49 AM
  #416  
twowheelies
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: New York City
Posts: 58

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi San Lorenzo, 2018 Specialized Crosstrail, 1994 Diamondback Master,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Then the electric bike trend is problem stage in our area. Many do not comply with the bicycle requirements laws and still use bike lanes. With the beach access being closed, as well as bike paths it is hugely crowded (5X) on roads.
That's too bad... I've always found biking in southern Cal to be a challenge anyway. With bike paths closed it sounds even tougher.

The electric bikes are big here, but only with the delivery guys. Given what else they are up against right now, i dont begrudge them...
twowheelies is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 10:53 AM
  #417  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,355

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3931 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 651 Posts
A somewhat pointless article.. "...particularly if you and others are wearing masks." Well duh, I don't think the Covid-related public concern directed toward runners and cyclists has been just because they're runners and cyclists, but because there's a higher propensity for them seen as a group doing their activities without masks.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 11:05 AM
  #418  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,315

Bikes: 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
A somewhat pointless article.. "...particularly if you and others are wearing masks." Well duh, I don't think the Covid-related public concern directed toward runners and cyclists has been just because they're runners and cyclists, but because there's a higher propensity for them seen as a group doing their activities without masks.
I agree it is pointless ... unless you read this 'study' from a few weeks back - Belgian-Dutch Study: Why in times of COVID-19 you should not walk/run/bike close behind each other. This advised nearly unrealistic distances for people to keep safe distances while riding (" ... 65 feet away from a cyclist in front of you"). I expect we all understand that group rides a a no-go in the COVID-19 world, but it's extremely hard to ride without encountering another rider and maintaining 65 feet distance on trails or roads isn't a realistic option.

Honestly, based on posts here and other places, I'd say a lot of people need to read this article. I'm glad you didn't need the info.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 11:12 AM
  #419  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,355

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3931 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
I agree it is pointless ... unless you read this 'study' from a few weeks back - Belgian-Dutch Study: Why in times of COVID-19 you should not walk/run/bike close behind each other. This advised nearly unrealistic distances for people to keep safe distances while riding (" ... 65 feet away from a cyclist in front of you"). I expect we all understand that group rides a a no-go in the COVID-19 world, but it's extremely hard to ride without encountering another rider and maintaining 65 feet distance on trails or roads isn't a realistic option.

Honestly, based on posts here and other places, I'd say a lot of people need to read this article. I'm glad you didn't need the info.
Familiar with the Belgian study too.. but again the article's premise is about a pedestrian, cyclist or a runner "as they pass by", so the distance discussion doesn't seem relevant to whatever point she's making. I find funny the photo in the article with that includes a jogger on a sidewalk not wearing a mask. Is the article arguing that the featured jogger as they pass a pedestrian shouldn't be a concern to the pedestrian?
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 05-01-20, 12:00 PM
  #420  
livedarklions
Racerboyz' b'crat
Thread Starter
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,833

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked 4,385 Times in 2,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
I agree it is pointless ... unless you read this 'study' from a few weeks back - Belgian-Dutch Study: Why in times of COVID-19 you should not walk/run/bike close behind each other. This advised nearly unrealistic distances for people to keep safe distances while riding (" ... 65 feet away from a cyclist in front of you"). I expect we all understand that group rides a a no-go in the COVID-19 world, but it's extremely hard to ride without encountering another rider and maintaining 65 feet distance on trails or roads isn't a realistic option.

Honestly, based on posts here and other places, I'd say a lot of people need to read this article. I'm glad you didn't need the info.
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
Familiar with the Belgian study too.. but again the article's premise is about a pedestrian, cyclist or a runner "as they pass by", so the distance discussion doesn't seem relevant to whatever point she's making. I find funny the photo in the article with that includes a jogger on a sidewalk not wearing a mask. Is the article arguing that the featured jogger as they pass a pedestrian shouldn't be a concern to the pedestrian?

Just to be clear, the "Belgian Study" has been thoroughly debunked by virologists. It's utter nonsense. This has been discussed in several threads on BF, so I won't be posting links.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-01-20, 07:59 PM
  #421  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,351

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3326 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by twowheelies View Post
That's too bad... I've always found biking in southern Cal to be a challenge anyway. With bike paths closed it sounds even tougher.

The electric bikes are big here, but only with the delivery guys. Given what else they are up against right now, i dont begrudge them...
It is replacing people driving as most leaving the home is just a few miles or less. Roads certainly have fewer cars, but a lot more bikes. It is not safer - no science needed - just common sense.
Bike paths being closed not making so much sense.
Doge is offline  
Likes For Doge:
Old 05-01-20, 11:54 PM
  #422  
phtomita
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 710

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '87 Centurion IM Master

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Today I found out what I was thinking will happen with this pandemic. All major rides for Summer are cancelled here in Pacific North West.
I was looking for the STP and RSVP rides (Seattle to Portland and Seattle to Vancouver BC).
phtomita is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 11:06 PM
  #423  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
My regular riding habits have resumed, the rest of the world is another story!

SHBR is offline  
Likes For SHBR:
Old 05-03-20, 07:14 PM
  #424  
myisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Flu season is over

Flu season is over. Get out and ride or lose your health and give up your freedom.
myisland is offline  
Old 05-04-20, 07:17 AM
  #425  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,315

Bikes: 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland View Post
Flu season is over.
Not to say you're wrong, but could you post a link to your credentials as a MD with research focus in immunology and/or epidemiology?

Originally Posted by myisland View Post
and give up your freedom.
Really?!? Please explain the freedom we are giving up ???

FWIW - I'm out riding every single day; nothing different here. As I posted earlier in this thread, the only things I've given up are group rides and organized races. And we are working on ways to modify both to fit with 2020 best practices to keep our community safe from this pandemic.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 05-04-20 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo
Hypno Toad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.