Riding in a Pandemic

Old 03-12-20, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15551 Post(s)
Liked 9,582 Times in 4,701 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post

And to add to his credibility, he asserts this is a flu virus.
Science is hard for many Americans.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-12-20, 11:16 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 258 Posts
Further it is another flu virus that always seems to come out of china, and mainly affect old people with other health problems. For the young and healthy, it is just another flu they have to endure.
Ignorance gone to seed. For an interesting read on what was done wrong during a pandemic, read The Great Influenza by John Barry.

Last edited by StanSeven; 03-13-20 at 02:37 PM.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-12-20, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 6624 Post(s)
Liked 6,383 Times in 3,607 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
Not one iota. I still wave...
Yes, but I expect you to disinfect my bike if you touch it while stealing my baby bolts.
Old 03-12-20, 11:32 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked 1,419 Times in 776 Posts
Also, I'm beginning to see recommendations of "social distancing" of at least 6 feet, I don't know how seriously people are going to take that.
Well, if I feel I have to enforce that I guess I'll just stop showering.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 03-12-20, 11:35 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Dewey101 View Post
In DC people who can are switching from Metro to riding a bicycle, e-bike, or scooter. This morning there are ten dockless e-bikes or scooters outside my building instead of the usual two and that change happened overnight, the bike racks aren't full yet. I'll be interested if there is a mass switch from public transit if cities like NY begin to repurpose a car lane on bridges to ease pedestrian/bicycle congestion at those choke points.
Um, wait... so people are afraid to ride the bus, but they'll gladly use an ebike or scooter that someone else has just previously used? One that you have to, you know, hold onto the handlebars in order to operate? I suppose if you sanitize it with Lysol first it would be fine, but I'm guessing that a lot of people won't do that.
Old 03-12-20, 12:05 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 802 Posts
DC has generally begun to self-sequester voluntarily. Traffic levels are noticeably down and some Agencies have begun experimenting with wide-reaching telecommuting drills.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-12-20, 12:06 PM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes View Post
Um, wait... so people are afraid to ride the bus, but they'll gladly use an ebike or scooter that someone else has just previously used? One that you have to, you know, hold onto the handlebars in order to operate? I suppose if you sanitize it with Lysol first it would be fine, but I'm guessing that a lot of people won't do that.

I'm guessing you haven't ridden that many city buses. There's almost no way to get on and off one without putting your hands on multiple surfaces and bars, plus the very likely prospect of getting sneezed or coughed on in the close confines.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-12-20, 12:13 PM
Milton Keynes

I'm guessing you haven't ridden that many city buses. There's almost no way to get on and off one without putting your hands on multiple surfaces and bars, plus the very likely prospect of getting sneezed or coughed on in the close confines.
I'm sure of that, but I still wonder if these people choosing the bikes or scooters realize they should wipe down the handlebars and any touch screen/buttons before using?

I recently read an article where touch screen displays at order kiosks in various McDonald's restaurants tested positive for fecal bacteria. WASH. YOUR. HANDS. PEOPLE!
Old 03-12-20, 01:04 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 413 Posts
I decided to skip the Solvang Century next Saturday, and still awaiting to hear about Eroica CA. I don't know how the snack food was handled, (sometimes 3000 riders) and would rather not deal with restuarants and motels if I don't have too. Not so much about me, but my wife has some health issues, and I don't want to bring any bugs home to her. There are plenty of local roads to ride, except its been raining the last 3 or 4 days, more predicted, which partially helped my Solvang decision, day after tomorrow. Couple years ago Solvang was pouring rain for 50 miles. I ride for fun. That wasn't. I know, SoCal riders are wimps, weatherwise. Be safe, enjoy whatever and wherever you ride.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-12-20, 01:27 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS MontaŮa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 279 Posts
Yes, but I expect you to disinfect my bike if you touch it while stolling my baby bolts.
Fify
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 03-12-20, 01:58 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 412 Posts
My initial thought is that I really don't touch any stuff while riding; however I tracked this assumption on a ride along a local MUP earlier this week and basically blew it up. There were a number of road crossings that required a button push to activate, the water bottle fill station required a few fingers, the bench I sat on at my turn around point probably had a lot of traffic. So, yeah, you're going to put your dirty little fingers on a lot of stuff. Just don't touch your nose or mouth. Easier said than done since my nose waters constantly while riding necessitating frequent use of the air hanky.

Even so, I reckon I could manage a ride with significantly better hygiene with some planning. And, around here, the riding seems better as there are fewer cars and cyclists out. I wonder how a solo ride would mesh with the concept of self-isolation (assuming that there would not be any deployment of the air hanky,
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-12-20, 02:25 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6, and a few dust collectors

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 110 Posts
I ride solo, so Iím not going to change a thing. I am just getting over some bug(not Coronavirus) so when I go back to the gym, and Iíd like to emphasize when, Iíll probably do a better job of wiping down the equipment before I use it.

Other than that I refuse to allow this ďpandemicĒ to affect my life any more than necessary. Iíll still do everything I did before
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 03-12-20, 02:35 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR View Post
I would be more concerned going to a public gym and working out on shared surfaces and enclosed areas rather than being on a bike alone away from others. Most of my riding is solo and I am self-supported with no reason to stop at a store or water fountain. If anything, cycling bolsters my immune system and I would be foolish to give that up.
As I have been struggling with motivation for the gym, I had struck upon a return this evening. And NOW, I'm pretty sure I will not...
Old 03-12-20, 02:41 PM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
I ride solo, so Iím not going to change a thing. I am just getting over some bug(not Coronavirus) so when I go back to the gym, and Iíd like to emphasize when, Iíll probably do a better job of wiping down the equipment before I use it.

Other than that I refuse to allow this ďpandemicĒ to affect my life any more than necessary. Iíll still do everything I did before

I'm going to the gym tonight, but I'm not at all certain going to the gym will actually be a choice in the not-too-distant future. We're just starting to see the beginnings of closings.
Old 03-12-20, 02:44 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 601 Posts
Might ride to avoid going stir-crazy. My wife's work just mandated that she WFH until at least 4/11. I'm expected my job to follow suit.

I was out in the car at lunch and there are tons of "panicked" drivers out on the road. More concerned about that.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 03-12-20, 03:29 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewey101 View Post
In DC people who can are switching from Metro to riding a bicycle, e-bike, or scooter. This morning there are ten dockless e-bikes or scooters outside my building instead of the usual two and that change happened overnight, the bike racks aren't full yet. I'll be interested if there is a mass switch from public transit if cities like NY begin to repurpose a car lane on bridges to ease pedestrian/bicycle congestion at those choke points.
As a former DC commuter who went from Metro to carpool to car (due to job with overtime), I can say that when I went to a carpool from Metro my winter colds and flu rates dropped, and did again in my POV. When I retired they went down even further.

Social distancing works.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 03-12-20, 03:35 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 191 Posts
I went out for a short ride this morning. Weather about 55f no wind. The credit union guys were all comfortable with my visit. Sat in the park at my usual break. About average number of kids in the playground. Had a nice lunch with rice and stuff. Will pick up the grandboy, his school still on, maybe not next week.
Old 03-12-20, 03:56 PM
katsup

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter v1, Cotic SolarisMax, 1990 Bianchi Grizzly, 1995 ParkPre Pro 825

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 271 Posts
My work implemented a mandatory work at home policy, so no commuting to work for awhile. I don't foresee this affecting my non commuting rides,
Old 03-12-20, 04:19 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 458 Posts
My son is not racing until all this passes. I told him that he is not in the adverse affected group and should go racing. Really is no different than protecting oneself from a flu virus. Same age group and immune compromised groups that the flu adversely affects or kills. Healthy 20 and 30 somethings should go racing! Just don't visit grandma and grandpa for a month or two.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 03-12-20, 04:23 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts
If my office goes to 100% telecommuting it will mean no more bike rides for me.
Old 03-12-20, 05:49 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 330 Posts
I have a e bike I am faster then any virus. I work mostly alone and have this sign so I would be safe.

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 03-12-20, 06:34 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 750 Posts
No changes to my cycling, I will continue to commute to work and do my weekend recreational rides.
Old 03-12-20, 08:02 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 202 Posts
Spouse and I usually stop going to the YMCA/gym this time of year anyway. Folks there are good, though, at wiping down equipment after using it. Didn't notice anyone coughing/sneezing/hacking/wheezing, etc when there a few days ago.
Very much enjoyed riding today knowing it was a safe activity and can help us stay safe.

Our local club is already planning on bottles of water and packaged snacks at rest stops on spring rides, instead of large water jugs and - sometimes - homemade cookies.
Old 03-12-20, 08:25 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 415 Posts
Obviously, riding a bike is not an activity that, by itself, will increase your exposure to the coronavirus or make it more likely to give it to someone else, but we ride in the context of a society that is undergoing day-to-day measures to try to mitigate the spread of the virus, not non-stop on a closed track (well, most of us anyway).

I think it will be interesting to have a thread where people talk about how the pandemic and the responses to it are affecting their riding. This is a bicycling forum, and the things we are all experts on is how we ride our bikes, where we go and what we do. This is a fluid situation with more closings, etc., being announced daily, so I'd like to know how that's affecting people's routines, what they're doing to cope, and things they've tried that may or may not have worked out well.

Here's what I think will not be interesting--a bunch of people posting "just ride", discussions about how widespread you think the virus will go (the real experts don't know at this point, our opinions aren't worth anything), essays about the comparative death rates from various sources, and endless posts about why people shouldn't hoard toilet paper. You get no points for stating the bloody obvious or claiming you know what's really happening better than the experts.

At this point, I don't know what changes I'll need to make, but a comparatively trivial one comes to mind--I'm just starting to ride again after a winter off in the gym. Last year, I was in the habit during the longer days of the year to ride 150 miles or so in a day, taking a long meal break in the middle at a restaurant. I suspect this year it will be hit or miss whether such places will be open, and I'm not sure I'm going to want to eat out even if they are. Obviously, that means I'll likely have to carry the food, but it also might mean I'm not riding the same distances because I really like that long break out of the elements.

I realize that isn't a very interesting example, but I'd like to know how people who ride differently than I do are dealing with this, and maybe if there are people who do ride like I do, see if they have ideas I can "steal".

I'm pretty sure none of us in the US have ever dealt with a situation precisely like this, and this definitely is not the same society as it was in 1918.

Debates about whether this pandemic is real or media hysteria belong in P&R, not here. Thanks.
might cut down on spitting and blowing snot rockets, so that would be a plus
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-12-20, 08:26 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 163 Posts
Most of my riding these days is commuting. So, if work goes to work-from-home, then I'll no longer commute. If that happens, I'll replace those miles with recreational rides - those are more pleasant, anyhow. I don't have a group in my current location, so I'm free to continue shooting allergy-laden snot rockets!

My SO works with high schoolers and takes the bus, and I work with a bunch of academics whom travel frequently. If I'm exposed, it will likely not be from cycling.
Likes For wipekitty:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.