Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist View Post
Tony Fauci, one of the smartest people in our country on this overall topic, said yesterday that he personally believed it was unlikely in most cases to survive on hard surfaces for more than about three days or so, though that depends on many variables. Even if your product was shipped by air, by the time in gets to Istanbul, it seems very unlikely to be a risk to anyone, according to experts.
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Buying from China is not a likely health hazard for reasons ably explained above.

Whether or not the supply chain is going to be disrupted is another matter.

Anyone experiencing any delays, etc. ordering through Ali Express?
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
Not different from things made in China you buy from a local seller. That specific virus doesn't seem to survive long outside a human.

And with the virus in literally every country, any product would be impacted. A locally made product has less shipping time, so a virus would be more likely to survive.

At least when you order online you are not interacting with potentially sick sales people.
Originally Posted by August West View Post
I ordered some PTFE powder from China at the end of last year, so when COVID-19 was a minor news item and well before it turned into a pandemic. Long story short, it took over 2 months to arrive and finally showed up last week. Now I know that there was next to no chance of getting an infection from the package but I couldn't help myself from putting on nitrile gloves and swabbing the bags it came packaged in thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. I'm in the first elevated risk age category and am trying to do everything possible not to temp fate. So even with practically 0% chance of infection it gave me a little more peace of mind.
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui View Post
I ordered a few tings frim China in Late January. They shjipped in late Februrary after CHina let many people go back to work. I also put on gloves and sparyed the goods with Lysol,

Yesterday, I received some 160mm brake rotors and a folding bike stem from China. These were ordered about two weeks ago. Says that China air mail is still working. I don't how they can mail me these things for such a low rate. Anyway, they also got sanitized.
your comments are important to me. thank you for the answers. It was a useful answer so as not to worry about shopping in China
Likes For Mosyosalyangoz:
Old 03-13-20, 05:16 AM
Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
what is the gloves and mask you will propose. for aliexpress
Old 03-13-20, 07:18 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 326 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Yet the wife of Justin Trudeau, the Canadian Prime Minister, has just tested positive for Coronavirus a short distance away.

Has Canada been doing more surveillance testing than the USA?
Ottawa is 125 miles from Montreal, not really all that close. She had just returned from the UK which is where she picked up the virus
Old 03-13-20, 03:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 3996 Post(s)
Liked 1,793 Times in 1,147 Posts
I'm not worried about items that were manufactured and packaged by the factories -- those were probably done months or years ago. My most recent Amazon purchases were jerseys made around 2016-2018. If the factory packages were still sealed, there's no problem.

But I'm more cautious about handling the outside of those factory packages and the shipping envelopes or boxes.

Incidentally, yesterday's Amazon delivery was just tossed toward my door. I could hear it skitter across the hallway. No knock on the door. But the delivery driver did snap a photo as proof of delivery -- from a safe distance. So now I need to worry about whatever's on that floor in my building's common hallway.

One can go nuts trying to trace every possible link in a contamination chain. I thought about that yesterday while buying a cheap bottle of antibacterial dish soap, the only thing left after panic buyers cleaned out the shelves of hand sanitizers, etc. Who stocked the shelf? How many customers handled that bottle before deciding on something else?

BTW, Palmolive brand antibacterial dish soap uses lactic acid as an antibacterial. Who knew lactic acid was antibacterial? Apparently my legs will never get an infection.
Old 03-13-20, 04:04 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 188 Posts
https://www.livescience.com/how-long...-surfaces.html
Old 03-13-20, 10:33 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
Ottawa is 125 miles from Montreal, not really all that close. She had just returned from the UK which is where she picked up the virus
WHO declared the coronavirus a pandemic on March 11.
125 miles ain't that far when something is already global. Coming soon...
Old 03-14-20, 01:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13370 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 1,354 Posts
You forgot social distancing
Don't forget, don't draft a stranger that is coughing and sneezing.
Old 03-14-20, 06:02 AM
livedarklions
Certified Genius?!

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked 3,311 Times in 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Don't forget, don't draft a stranger.
FIFY. Always good advice, virus or not.

I've had strangers draft me on the Minuteman, and have had to warn them that I will slow down drastically without warning if we're going to pass someone.
Old 03-14-20, 08:19 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 114 Posts
Corona viruses are more persistent on smooth surfaces like metal or plastic than rough ones like cardboard or fabric. The upside of this is that a smooth surface is pretty easy to disinfect.
That info is from an excellent twitter thread I saw this week, I wish I'd saved it. If anybody else has a link, please post it.
Anti bacterial soap is no better than regular soap for corona viruses. Soap works very well as it breaks down the outer lipid layer of the virus.
If you get a package and you're worried about , you could just leave it unopened for 3 or 4 days, but that is so hard to do.

I think the best thing to do is to go out and ride your bike and not obsess about things. I should take my own advice.
Old 03-14-20, 12:12 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
As long as you're hoarding toilet paper you will be fine.
Likes For mrblue:
Old 03-15-20, 09:38 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I'm not worried about items that were manufactured and packaged by the factories -- those were probably done months or years ago. My most recent Amazon purchases were jerseys made around 2016-2018. If the factory packages were still sealed, there's no problem.

But I'm more cautious about handling the outside of those factory packages and the shipping envelopes or boxes.
Yes, the plastic bubble mailers more than the paper/cardboard ones (though I suspect heavily coated cardboard ala retail packaging may be almost as bad as plastic).

All sorts of viable strategies - let things sit a few days, open them outside and then cleanup just as from a shopping trip, if you have a secure outdoor area (ie, not behind glass/plastic but actually outdoors) sit them in the sun for an afternoon - just put a half dozen soup cans out in the sun yesterday to catch some morning rays.

Things that have had some latency from other human contact are better than things that haven't.

One can go nuts trying to trace every possible link in a contamination chain. I thought about that yesterday while buying a cheap bottle of antibacterial dish soap, the only thing left after panic buyers cleaned out the shelves of hand sanitizers, etc. Who stocked the shelf? How many customers handled that bottle before deciding on something else?
To be honest I'm now assuming that the outside of recently acquired food packaging is potentially an issue and washing items before opening. No reason not to wash off your bottle of soap, with, er, soap.

BTW, Palmolive brand antibacterial dish soap uses lactic acid as an antibacterial. Who knew lactic acid was antibacterial? Apparently my legs will never get an infection.
This is somewhat a trap the industry got into by promoting triclosan soaps which really don't do much but breed resistant bacteria in the environment. In then taking that out, they had to put something else in to keep making a claim that it was somehow different than a plain old soap.

But for a virus such as this just soap itself is doubly effective - first, you're physically removing contaminants, next the soap breaches the lipid encapsulation protecting the viral RNA so any left in splashes of washwater is likely impotent.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-15-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 10:32 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 209 Posts
I have a fork and a seat bag on their way from China.

I might move for the summer in June, so I am a little concerned about getting them before that. They won't pose a hazard.
Old 03-16-20, 12:25 PM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosyosalyangoz View Post
There is an epidemic of Corona virus occurring in China and occupying the world agenda recently. There are various rumors about its source, etc., and there is a possibility of contagious disease transmission through breathing, contact. Many of us shop in China from Aliexpress. is it objectionable shopping in China?
Costs extra to ship the virus from China to you.....
Old 03-16-20, 01:07 PM
m3tal070

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosyosalyangoz View Post
There is an epidemic of Corona virus occurring in China and occupying the world agenda recently. There are various rumors about its source, etc., and there is a possibility of contagious disease transmission through breathing, contact. Many of us shop in China from Aliexpress. is it objectionable shopping in China?
Wait...whats going on? Virus??
Old 03-16-20, 04:48 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
Not different from things made in China you buy from a local seller. That specific virus doesn't seem to survive long outside a human.

And with the virus in literally every country, any product would be impacted. A locally made product has less shipping time, so a virus would be more likely to survive.

At least when you order online you are not interacting with potentially sick sales people.
Actually, in a way you are...just not in an immediate, in-your-face contagious manner
Old 03-16-20, 10:37 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I am surprised that so many here shop from China direct. I used to buy stuff from Ebay but gave it up probably a couple of years ago when about 6 shipments never arrived. They also have a short period that you can complain and then they shut off that possibility.

I simply spray things with colloidal silver that I am concerned about, arriving in the mail.
Old 03-16-20, 10:52 PM
willibrord

Bikes: steel but the next will be bamboo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf View Post
I am surprised that so many here shop from China direct. I used to buy stuff from Ebay but gave it up probably a couple of years ago when about 6 shipments never arrived. They also have a short period that you can complain and then they shut off that possibility.

I simply spray things with colloidal silver that I am concerned about, arriving in the mail.
colloidal silver
Old 03-16-20, 11:02 PM
alanf

Originally Posted by willibrord View Post
colloidal silver
Yes, I make my own. You can buy it at health food stores but it is ridiculously expensive and comes with a lot of nonsense about being the best. My friend buys it by the gallon (2 dollars equivalent) in his grocery store when he winters in Mexico.

Silver acts as a disinfectant. As an example, I believe Johnson and Johnson makes bandaids with a silver mesh imprenated in it.
CS was just starting to become prominent right around when antibiotics came in.
Old 03-17-20, 09:23 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
When in doubt, let the sun shine on your imported package. UV light destroys coronavirus.
Old 03-17-20, 10:33 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts View Post
I have a fork and a seat bag on their way from China.

I might move for the summer in June, so I am a little concerned about getting them before that. They won't pose a hazard.
The virus has a limited lifespan on materials. I am very careful because my wife has an autoimmune disease that makes her very susceptible to everything. I just had a bike shipped to me from Italy last Tuesday. It arrived carefully boxed yesterday. BUT, I am leaving the box untouched in the garage for a few days to made sure that there is no chance of a live virus.
Old 03-17-20, 11:04 AM
alanf

Originally Posted by ChrisWagner View Post
When in doubt, let the sun shine on your imported package. UV light destroys coronavirus.
Nice. Also another reason to go biking.
Old 03-17-20, 03:17 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I've had many orders from China (a recent one was mailed from Thailand btw). What I do is to spray rubbing alcohol on the item (I do the same on computer mouse and keyboard that others may have used, or cash received).
Old 03-18-20, 08:59 AM
edscott.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Buying from China is not a likely health hazard for reasons ably explained above.

Whether or not the supply chain is going to be disrupted is another matter.

Anyone experiencing any delays, etc. ordering through Ali Express?
Yeah. After purchasing new jockey wheels the provider asked for an extension for sending out the package. Sure, why not. I'm in no hurry.
Old 03-18-20, 09:08 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 40 Posts
Do what Louis does.

Old 03-18-20, 04:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 13370 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 1,354 Posts
China????

My last E-Bay purchase (in the USA) has been routed through Kent Washington where it is now STUCK... hopefully not for long, but why do they have to ship to a Coronavirus Hotbed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.