Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Corona virus and shopping in China

There is an epidemic of Corona virus occurring in China and occupying the world agenda recently. There are various rumors about its source, etc., and there is a possibility of contagious disease transmission through breathing, contact. Many of us shop in China from Aliexpress. is it objectionable shopping in China?
Old 03-12-20, 09:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 800 Posts
Time...

...for viability of the surface-borne virus is what you're asking. How long does it take between the final touch/cough/spittle from ROC to your home? And how long can the virus live on the package or your contents?

Do you wash your hands? Do you touch your face? Are you immunocompromised?

You'll likely be fine.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-12-20, 09:59 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 227 Posts
Tony Fauci, one of the smartest people in our country on this overall topic, said yesterday that he personally believed it was unlikely in most cases to survive on hard surfaces for more than about three days or so, though that depends on many variables. Even if your product was shipped by air, by the time in gets to Istanbul, it seems very unlikely to be a risk to anyone, according to experts.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-12-20, 09:59 AM
JDandy

Bikes: Gary Fisher Avant Garde

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosyosalyangoz View Post
There is an epidemic of Corona virus occurring in China and occupying the world agenda recently. There are various rumors about its source, etc., and there is a possibility of contagious disease transmission through breathing, contact. Many of us shop in China from Aliexpress. is it objectionable shopping in China?
"Go ahead and open that package from China. Coronavirus doesn't spread by mail. (World Health Organization). By. Lateshia Beachum."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...pread-by-mail/
Likes For JDandy:
Old 03-12-20, 11:05 AM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 5547 Post(s)
Liked 4,953 Times in 2,787 Posts
Buying from China is not a likely health hazard for reasons ably explained above.

Whether or not the supply chain is going to be disrupted is another matter.

Anyone experiencing any delays, etc. ordering through Ali Express?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-12-20, 11:26 AM
Mosyosalyangoz
Road Cyclist

Bikes: Corelli Kr 100

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Buying from China is not a likely health hazard for reasons ably explained above.

thank you very much for comment.
Old 03-12-20, 11:59 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

It varies by type of purchase. For off-the-shelf sundry [bike] items, and if the seller isn't simply a front among dozens of similar fronts who retain no inventory, then preparation to ship is almost immediate. If it's the seller shell game as to who has the PD-5800 pedals you ordered, then fulfillment takes 30-45 days, plus shipping time.

If it's a custom job, and factory touch labor is involved, then that's where you're likely on to something. Maybe someone who ordered a custom frame or special carbon wheels might be able to respond.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-12-20, 01:09 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0, Litespeed Cherohala City

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
...for viability of the surface-borne virus is what you're asking. How long does it take between the final touch/cough/spittle from ROC to your home? And how long can the virus live on the package or your contents?

Do you wash your hands? Do you touch your face? Are you immunocompromised?

You'll likely be fine.
sarcasm aside and to actually answer this guys question it really depends on the surface and temperature, but with that said the virus can stay on most hard surfaces or hours if not days. Buying from Alli express has a low rate for infection simply due to transit times but if you are concerned spray it with some lysol and wash your hands
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 03-12-20, 01:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 14873 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 1,958 Posts

I haven't ordered from Ali Express for a while.

However, I do occasionally buy China direct from E-Bay.

I ordered some door hinge pins from WENZHOU, ZHEJIANG, February 12, and they arrived March 9.

I also ordered a Cat shirt from Jinhua,zhejiang, China, on January 21, and it is stuck with "Tracking Number provided", and the arrival date keeps getting pushed out further and further. Apparently never shipped.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-12-20, 01:13 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post

I ordered some door hinge pins from WENZHOU, ZHEJIANG, February 12, and they arrived March 9.

I also ordered a Cat shirt from Jinhua,zhejiang, China, on January 21, and it is stuck with "Tracking Number provided", and the arrival date keeps getting pushed out further and further. Apparently never shipped.

"WHO says it is very unlikely that the virus will persist on a surface after being moved, traveled and exposed to different conditions and temperatures. That means the virus cannot spread through goods manufactured in China or any country reporting coronavirus cases."
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 03-12-20, 01:42 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Originally Posted by Jrasero View Post
sarcasm aside and to actually answer this guys question...
I meant no sarcasm in my response. I gave him the proper framework for the question and expected him to research the answers from qualified sources. The rest is dependent on his own hygene and behavioral precautions. Totally serious response, teaching him to fish for himself...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-12-20, 01:51 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post

I meant no sarcasm in my response. I gave him the proper framework for the question and expected him to research the answers from qualified sources. The rest is dependent on his own hygene and behavioral precautions. Totally serious response, teaching him to fish for himself...
That response was utterly stupid. No offense but why would someone come on here and ask a question and your thought process is to be sarcastic and not answer their question and your reasoning is to teach them to use the Google machine? Or be a decent human being in the case of something this serious and answer his question as best you can without providing false panicking info. Granted his question was a tad outlandish but a valid question at that.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 03-12-20, 02:11 PM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

"WHO says it is very unlikely that the virus will persist on a surface after being moved, traveled and exposed to different conditions and temperatures. That means the virus cannot spread through goods manufactured in China or any country reporting coronavirus cases."
Clifford was responding to my question which was whether people were experiencing delays in orders from China, not whether they were going to get sick.

The question about getting virus in the packages had been answered, so I thought I'd turn the thread a bit.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-12-20, 02:24 PM
CliffordK

That response was utterly stupid. No offense but why would someone come on here and ask a question and your thought process is to be sarcastic and not answer their question...
And you quoted me??? Why???

I gave an explanation of my experience on two recent orders from China as response to the question by @livedarklions. No sarcasm was intended.
I will extend my answer with there are also Chinese companies selling on E-Bay (and Amazon) that are using warehouse services within the USA. So far, it seems to be business as usual.
I have also been afraid of supply-side shortages, but so far I'm not encountering those either (ignoring face masks). I did buy some gloves from Harbor Freight without issues or signs of shortages, and I have a couple of other generic Chinese made items on order that seem to be progressing, but still early.

I will note that I've been following the Coronavirus epidemic since late January/early February. At this point, China seems to have the epidemic contained in every province except Wuhan/Hubei. And, even in Wuhan, the numbers are down significantly.

The risk for infection is likely much greater going to the local grocery store than ordering from overseas.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-12-20, 02:41 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 166 Posts
Not different from things made in China you buy from a local seller. That specific virus doesn't seem to survive long outside a human.

And with the virus in literally every country, any product would be impacted. A locally made product has less shipping time, so a virus would be more likely to survive.

At least when you order online you are not interacting with potentially sick sales people.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 03-12-20, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
Not different from things made in China you buy from a local seller. That specific virus doesn't seem to survive long outside a human.

And with the virus in literally every country, any product would be impacted. A locally made product has less shipping time, so a virus would be more likely to survive.

At least when you order online you are not interacting with potentially sick sales people.
But the delivery driver can cough on your box.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-12-20, 03:26 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 104 Posts
I ordered some PTFE powder from China at the end of last year, so when COVID-19 was a minor news item and well before it turned into a pandemic. Long story short, it took over 2 months to arrive and finally showed up last week. Now I know that there was next to no chance of getting an infection from the package but I couldn't help myself from putting on nitrile gloves and swabbing the bags it came packaged in thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. I'm in the first elevated risk age category and am trying to do everything possible not to temp fate. So even with practically 0% chance of infection it gave me a little more peace of mind.
Likes For August West:
Old 03-12-20, 03:29 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

That response was utterly stupid. No offense but why would someone come on here and ask a question and your thought process is to be...
That's where you went off track. You interpreted my response as sarcasm, when I explicitly told you that it wasn't. That's an error.

'Why?' was your question? My reasoning was when any junior officer or employee asks me a question whose answers already at his/her fingertips. And that method involves a series of homework questions. Perhaps the person doesn't realize the nature of the initial question, and the rest will flow naturally from there. Worse, if the person is lazy...bad sign.

Again, you're wrong about my attitude toward the OP. I meant to instruct...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-12-20, 03:46 PM
CliffordK

I was going to laugh, but that may be a real risk.

Not necessarily coughing, but moving a contact from one place to another. Probably a minimal risk if the local infection rate is low, but we don't really know.

One of the complaints of the Diamond Princess... consider a food service model.

Waitress does her rounds picking up dishes, giving more water to customers, talking to customers, and occasionally wiping down tables. Inter-dispersed with those rounds she is also delivering fresh food, putting napkins and silverware on tables, etc.

Now consider an infected person a few tables away just finishing up eating. The waitress could handle the infected person's return dishes, then grab your food and deliver it without ever washing her hands, or changing gloves.

The same thing was apparently happening on the Diamond Princess as crew would pick up dirty dishes and waste, and hand more food to the passengers... and of course, with an unknown number of crew infected.

Similar models could happen with package delivery. Knocking on doors, pushing doorbells, opening screen doors, picking up outgoing mail, all the while doing deliveries.

Leave the package on the porch overnight?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-12-20, 04:00 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 410 Posts
Wait, WHAT?
Likes For 02Giant:
Old 03-12-20, 04:07 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 60 Posts
Again, you're wrong about my attitude toward the OP. I meant to instruct...
Nobody needs instruction at this point. If you don't know the proper precautions to take regarding the Coronavirus you are likely living under a rock. Which may actually be a good place to be. However, we really don't need multiple threads on this. If you need to be told to wash your hands you probably deserve what's coming, you know, that whole natural selection thing. Washing your hands and covering your mouth when you sneeze is what your mom has been telling you since forever. The answer to ever question on bike forums for the next few weeks should be:

1. Stuck seatpost...wash your hands.
2. Storing your carbon bike in Florida...wash your hands.
3. Using your jersey zipper....wash your hands.

Then we can get on to more important things like taking pictures of our cats. Which....will require washing our hands and maybe sanitizing the cat.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 03-12-20, 04:18 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 450 Posts
This is a very important point. Where I live, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada there have so far been very few reported cases, so I have little to worry about in the case of the item I received today shipped from Hong Kong. But, I do have to keep in mind that this package was handled by many people during its journey. I am actually much more worried by the people who handled the package since it arrived in Canada than the people who sent it on its way
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-12-20, 11:59 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 104 Posts
I ordered a few tings frim China in Late January. They shjipped in late Februrary after CHina let many people go back to work. I also put on gloves and sparyed the goods with Lysol,

Yesterday, I received some 160mm brake rotors and a folding bike stem from China. These were ordered about two weeks ago. Says that China air mail is still working. I don't how they can mail me these things for such a low rate. Anyway, they also got sanitized.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 03-13-20, 02:41 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
This is a very important point. Where I live, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada there have so far been very few reported cases, so I have little to worry about
Yet the wife of Justin Trudeau, the Canadian Prime Minister, has just tested positive for Coronavirus a short distance away.

Has Canada been doing more surveillance testing than the USA?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-13-20, 04:43 AM
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler

Originally Posted by Jicafold View Post
Nobody needs instruction at this point. If you don't know the proper precautions to take regarding the Coronavirus you are likely living under a rock. Which may actually be a good place to be. However, we really don't need multiple threads on this. If you need to be told to wash your hands you probably deserve what's coming, you know, that whole natural selection thing. Washing your hands and covering your mouth when you sneeze is what your mom has been telling you since forever. The answer to ever question on bike forums for the next few weeks should be:

1. Stuck seatpost...wash your hands.
2. Storing your carbon bike in Florida...wash your hands.
3. Using your jersey zipper....wash your hands.

Then we can get on to more important things like taking pictures of our cats. Which....will require washing our hands and maybe sanitizing the cat.
You forgot social distancing, not shaking hands (trickier to remember in a work situation, btw), not going to the ER when symptomatic, telling people that masks don't really protect them, and unless you can carry a sink with you, avoiding touching much of anything.

It's pretty hilarious that you posted this snarky bit of condescension to join in on jumping on someone for being too sarcastic.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.